Fashions And Fads

Who remembers whistles, the scurge of many an allnighter and alldayer in the 70's. Mind you had to have the right one :yes: , a ref's type, no good having one of those police types :yes:

Also dark glasses at 70's allnighters very cool cool.gif , I tried it once but it only lasted half an hour, fell over so many bags and people trying to sleep that I gave it up.

And lastly Guy & Keb et'all and the one black glove.

Any more for any more

Social source share

• Replies 46
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Who remembers whistles, the scurge of many an allnighter and alldayer in the 70's. Mind you had to have the right one :yes: , a ref's type, no good having one of those police types :g:

Also dark glasses at 70's allnighters very cool cool.gif , I tried it once but it only lasted half an hour, fell over so many bags and people trying to sleep that I gave it up.

Any more for any more

Big shout for "the Preston streetdancers",you`d have to cause they brobberly wouldnt hear you what with air horns and stuff at Clifton Hall :yes:

Social source share

Who remembers whistles, the scurge of many an allnighter and alldayer in the 70's. Mind you had to have the right one :yes: , a ref's type, no good having one of those police types :yes:

Any more for any more

Shorts...no shirts...white socks..brogues....for men...during the early to mid 80s

baby T bar shoes for gals in the late 70s

polyveldts...

granny slippers sandals...which mortified my stilletto wearing mother at the time

all round pleated skirts

those slightly Zoot jeans...with the red lining on the sides

and the sharp jazzy style of the Southern soulies during the mid 80s...Delxx

Social source share

Shorts...no shirts...white socks..brogues....for men...during the early to mid 80s

baby T bar shoes for gals in the late 70s

polyveldts...

granny slippers sandals...which mortified my stilletto wearing mother at the time

all round pleated skirts

those slightly Zoot jeans...with the red lining on the sides

and the sharp jazzy style of the Southern soulies during the mid 80s...Delxx

Think they were called 'pegs'

Social source share

Think they were called 'pegs'

God ...yeah...that was them...also i can remember a few wiganites going all baseball gear for a while as well :yes: ..Delxx

Social source share

i seem to recall a daft moment in the stafford era of peeps wearing designer jogging bottoms and muscle vests forerunners of the modern day chav maybe?? :g: ...kung foo shoes....and what was with the mushroom hairdo?? personally i blame mr thorley himself for that one.....proper trend setter :yes: .....

cookie :yes:

Social source share

i seem to recall a daft moment in the stafford era of peeps wearing designer jogging bottoms and muscle vests forerunners of the modern day chav maybe?? :g: ...kung foo shoes....and what was with the mushroom hairdo?? personally i blame mr thorley himself for that one.....proper trend setter :yes: .....

Ahhh, the hair, don't think we'll go there :no: , Malayka's already seen the photo's and was mortified!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest malayka

Ahhh, the hair, don't think we'll go there :yes: , Malayka's already seen the photo's and was mortified!!!!!!!

mortified is not descriptive enough... ;-)

M.

Social source share

Dave , you must have road tested virtually every fashion style since the 70's ,wouldn't you agree ?!! Best ,Eddie

And I've kept some of them, still have my

Original Hardy Amis, mohair 60's suit (Doesn't fit mind you)

Demob, check woolie trousers

Original 50's U.S. zoot suit (still fits, was once massive on me, now a snug fit)

Social source share

And I've kept some of them, still have my

Original Hardy Amis, mohair 60's suit (Doesn't fit mind you)

Demob, check woolie trousers

Original 50's U.S. zoot suit (still fits, was once massive on me, now a snug fit)

What about the stuff you used to wear at the old Southport weekenders,colourfull :yes:

Social source share

Early to mid 70's, original U.S. 50's/60's bowling shirts, now I liked them.

Now you are talking....a lot of the southern soul jazz boys use to wear them as well..along with pegs...plastic sandals.white socks..bubble perm on top...short at the back and sides :yes: ...oooh those were the days.... :yes: mmm...Delxx

Social source share

Ah yeah, the stafford Kung Fu Slipper :no: Jogging bottoms, H20 Vests over T bag Tshirts topped off with a blummin headband. Thank you style God for making me a casual in the 80s :lol:

Social source share

Ahhh, the hair, don't think we'll go there :yes: , Malayka's already seen the photo's and was mortified!!!!!!!

The amount of times in the 80s people used to say who do you think you are.. Dave Thorley

Mushroom perm and the tash that did it :yes::g:

Social source share

Demob, I think the shop was on Beak Street just up the road from the Lonsdale shop.

The average pair of trews from Demob would have made Simon Cowell's look like hipsters.

If I remember rightly the Demob lot were well into Northern Soul. They were involved in a band from Scarborough called The Friday Club in the early 80's who had a Northerny vibe about 'em.

Ian D

Social source share

Brogues had to be by Frank Wright, real top quality.

gary

I remember spending nearly a weeks money on me tassled FW slip ons - and losing one of 'em in the crush on the non membership door at Wigan - then having to get back out of the door (try that :huh: ) to rescue it.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

3 STAR JUMPERS

TWIN SETS

BUBBLE JUMPERS

PLASTIC SANDALS

:huh:

I posted on here before about plastic sandals.

I once wore a new pair to Stafford, when the obligatory 'No Socks' rule was still in place.

My feet got really hot and swelled up. I had to take the shoes off cos I was in agony. I tried to dance barefoot but it was just asking for trouble, so ended up sulking all night as my mates took the pish.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

If I remember rightly the Demob lot were well into Northern Soul. They were involved in a band from Scarborough called The Friday Club in the early 80's who had a Northerny vibe about 'em.

Ian D

Friday Club featured two girls, Adel and Terry, who both moved to London in the 80's.

They were regulars at the York do's and Wigan. Good chums too. :thumbsup:  The record, window shopping, was the last but one release on two-tone.

post-1355-1193841737_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Friday Club featured two girls, Leslie and Terry, who both moved to London in the 80's.

They were regulars at the York do's and Wigan. Good chums too. :thumbsup:  The record, window shopping, was the last but one relaease on two-tone.

post-1355-1193841737_thumb.jpg

Sang "turn the beat around"at the scalla allnighter...............a rat tat tat on the on the drum :lol:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Sang "turn the beat around"at the scalla allnighter...............a rat tat tat on the on the drum :thumbsup:

Adel used to turn up at the 100 Club every now and again. Do you remember her Ken? Lovely girl, I used to see her quite a bit when I lived in London, as we knew each other from the old York days. 

Terry was lovely too, got some nice pics somewhere of us having a picnic in

Kew Gardens.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Leslie used to turn up at the 100 Club every now and again. Do you remember her Ken? Lovely girl, I used to see her quite a bit when I lived in London, as we knew each other from the old York days.

Certainly do,Trev. :thumbsup:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Certainly do,used to go out with Harry Lime....Craig(born again)Brick`s brother i think,affor he dissapeared on his toe`s :thumbsup:

That's right! bit of dodgy goings on there, as I remember! :lol:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Too slow on the edit there :thumbsup: Sorry Craig :lol:

OOPS! Me slow on the edit too!  Got the names wrong, put Leslie, when it should have been Adel. Leslie was a mate of Adel's, also from York. Was into the scene, but not in the band! Have seen Leslie a while ago, not seen Adel or Terry for years.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Who remembers whistles, the scurge of many an allnighter and alldayer in the 70's. Mind you had to have the right one wicked.gif , a ref's type, no good having one of those police types :D

Any more for any more

Yourself and Dim with back to front clothes :P
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert