Songs That Bring A Tear To The Eye

Guest welshruss

Guest welshruss

Dont know if this has been done before,but any way here we go.........doesn,t have to be soul,can be any genre you like.

To kick it off try this =

Aretha Franklin - Nessun Dorma.............wow,just superb,Half way through you think "she wont reach that note,,,she wont ,,,,she,,,,and she does....................nuff said

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Many songs have this effect on me but 2 that come to mind are:-

The Supremes - Remove this doubt.

Second one isn't a piece of vinyl but a video on youtube of the great Levi Stubbs in a wheelchair singing with Aretha Franklin and the rest of the 4 Tops, it is absolutley heart wrenching, probably made more emotional by Levi's condition, the trouble is I can't find it anymore, does anyone have a link to it or has it been taken off ???.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Many songs have this effect on me but 2 that come to mind are:-

The Supremes - Remove this doubt.

Second one isn't a piece of vinyl but a video on youtube of the great Levi Stubbs in a wheelchair singing with Aretha Franklin and the rest of the 4 Tops, it is absolutley heart wrenching, probably made more emotional by Levi's condition, the trouble is I can't find it anymore, does anyone have a link to it or has it been taken off ???.

Regards

Alan

its of the DVD the four tops 50th anniversary celebration brill dvd :)

Social source share

Alan,

You should also get The Temptations and Miracles Performance DVDs if you haven't already. Some great footage of their live performances through the decades. Right up your street Mate.

Hey up mate, did you have a good trip to the UK ? thanks for putting us onto them DVD's Dave, I haven't got them but I'm hoping I will have them in the next few minutes.

Speak soon, I did email you last week, did you get it.

Best

Alan

Social source share

Hey up mate, did you have a good trip to the UK ? thanks for putting us onto them DVD's Dave, I haven't got them but I'm hoping I will have them in the next few minutes.

Speak soon, I did email you last week, did you get it.

Best

Alan

Had great trip Mate. Dave F, Kev P and myself had a great weekend with Billy Jackson. (Watch this space).

Also good to see Russ up and about at the Burnley Allnighter.

Haven't had an email Mate.

Songs that bring a tear?.............

Four Tops - Where Did You Go

Mancha - I Won't Love You And Leave You

Impressions/Curtis - Choice Of Color

Social source share

Had great trip Mate. Dave F, Kev P and myself had a great weekend with Billy Jackson. (Watch this space).

Also good to see Russ up and about at the Burnley Allnighter.

Haven't had an email Mate.

Songs that bring a tear?.............

Four Tops - Where Did You Go

Mancha - I Won't Love You And Leave You

Impressions/Curtis - Choice Of Color

Hi Dave,

Great 3 choices Dave, great news about Russ as well.

Will dig out the email and re-send it,

Best

Alan

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

Dont know if this has been done before,but any way here we go.........doesn,t have to be soul,can be any genre you like.

To kick it off try this =

Aretha Franklin - Nessun Dorma.............wow,just superb,Half way through you think "she wont reach that note,,,she wont ,,,,she,,,,and she does....................nuff said

I know it's cheesey - but for lyrics it's got to be good old Frank Wilson for me.

On the way home after I had had to have my Jack Russell (Suggs) put down (after having him as part of the family for 21 years!) I was listening to a NS compilation CD and "Do I love You" was playing, I was (needless to say heartbroken) and the song just slayed me and I had to pull the car over and park up. So every time I hear, "Now whenever I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord, your soul to keep, and bring you home safe to me, for ever darling" it makes me cry even two years on :rolleyes:

For a completely different genre of music pretty much guaranteed to make a bloke cry everytime is Johnny Cash covering "Hurt" (originally by Nine Inch Nails of all groups - amazing :ohmy: ).

For a piece of music showing a man reflecting on his life, regrets and failings - I've never seen a more moving portrayal - made all the more poignant by the fact that he was dying while he made this and in fact died shortly after - regardless of whether you like Johnny Cash or not, if you can watch this an not be moved then you are made of stone!

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Esther Phillips- Home is where the heart is. Such a poignant song about addiction. Here despair is almost tangible throughout the song, particularly in the line: "home is where the needle marks try to heal my broken heart". Sends shivers up the spine each time I hear this tune. Chilling, haunting and tragic.

Terry Callier: I'd rather be with you; Soulful Clown; If I could make you change your mind. Such soulful choons by this genius of soul music in it's wider sense.

Jackie Wilson: My heart is calling; You got me walking; You left the fire burning etc. etc. What a voice! so much to choose from.

Ray Pollard- The Drifter- so sad! :thumbsup:

The Temprees- You're love is all I need. 7t's group harmony ballad. Sheer perfection. so smooth!

Jimmy Holiday- The Turning Point. Wow! one of the most moving choons ever.

Dorothy Morrison- I can't go without you. 7t's midtempo gem! gets me right in the gut everytime

Social source share

Jimmy Gilford - Heartbreaker - Solid Hitbound - does me up like a kipper, real lump to the throat stuff, walking pace record that levels me everytime I play it.

Bettye Lavette - Let Me Down Easy - Calla - They say to sing about pain you have to have lived it well this is a prime example of natural emotion, sublime vocal performance.

Tommy Tate - Are You From Heaven - Okeh - Simply perfection for me, shivers and quivers down the backbone this record has it all.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I know it's cheesey - but for lyrics it's got to be good old Frank Wilson for me.

On the way home after I had had to have my Jack Russell (Suggs) put down (after having him as part of the family for 21 years!) I was listening to a NS compilation CD and "Do I love You" was playing, I was (needless to say heartbroken) and the song just slayed me and I had to pull the car over and park up. So every time I hear, "Now whenever I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord, your soul to keep, and bring you home safe to me, for ever darling" it makes me cry even two years on :thumbsup:

For a completely different genre of music pretty much guaranteed to make a bloke cry everytime is Johnny Cash covering "Hurt" (originally by Nine Inch Nails of all groups - amazing :thumbsup: ).

For a piece of music showing a man reflecting on his life, regrets and failings - I've never seen a more moving portrayal - made all the more poignant by the fact that he was dying while he made this and in fact died shortly after - regardless of whether you like Johnny Cash or not, if you can watch this an not be moved then you are made of stone!

I nearly blubbed reading that story about your wee Jack Russell mate. :thumbsup:

That Johnny Cash choon "Hurt" is very sad. I love his music, the guy had something special.

Another tune that is very touching that isn't soul is JOHN MARTIN'S- SOLID AIR. It's about the death of his friend the folk musician Nick Drake. Utterly amazing piece of music.

Social source share

Jimmy Gilford - Heartbreaker - Solid Hitbound - does me up like a kipper, real lump to the throat stuff, walking pace record that levels me everytime I play it.

Bettye Lavette - Let Me Down Easy - Calla - They say to sing about pain you have to have lived it well this is a prime example of natural emotion, sublime vocal performance.

Tommy Tate - Are You From Heaven - Okeh - Simply perfection for me, shivers and quivers down the backbone this record has it all.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

hi Mark,,you must be sykick pal,just took TT round to Dean's to play the lads AYFH,beautiful tune...........KEV. :lol:

BTW..agree totally with Andy Rattigan,,Johnny Cash's "HURT" is superb.

Social source share

I know the thread said songs but as instrumentals are part of ourscene then what below does it for me!

Jose Iturbi - Clair de lune - IMO the greatest piece of music ever written(Debussy) Sometimes sit outside on the lawn and have this playing out of the upstairs window. Just brings tears to my eyes - Beautiful view with beautiful music in the background.

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

I know the thread said songs but as instrumentals are part of ourscene then what below does it for me!

Jose Iturbi - Clair de lune - IMO the greatest piece of music ever written(Debussy) Sometimes sit outside on the lawn and have this playing out of the upstairs window. Just brings tears to my eyes - Beautiful view with beautiful music in the background.

There's nothing wrong with an instrumental mate, if music alone can hit you like that (without the lyrics) then that's a measure of the quality of the music itself! :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

Another tune that is very touching that isn't soul is JOHN MARTIN'S- SOLID AIR. It's about the death of his friend the folk musician Nick Drake. Utterly amazing piece of music.

Spot on Andy - it is indeed a cracking tune and one which I have enjoyed (if that's the right choice of word) on many occassions :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

I know I'm gonna get flack for this but .........

I go to pieces - Gerri Grainger

Not sayin it's my fav tune or nuffinf u understand.......

Edited by outonthefloor
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert