(new) Northern Soul Top 500 Book Launch Event

quick snap shot -

venue full to capacity by 9.30 pm ,

great atmosphere,

'new' book there to browse and sold by shed loads when those looking realised its a substantial re write to reflect todays scene .

Fantastic last two hours from Jamie and Rich (Soulsville, Leeds) behind the decks ,

lots of dance floor action-and some greater dancers

concrete dancefloor surface remarkabily good with a bit of talc help.

Nice spot from Kev Roberts, with a cross the board selection of top 500 plus 45s , suplemented by a few informative words, including the influencial York Soul scene -nice one Kev !-and free admission 2

Lots of movers and shakers there from todays and yesterdays scene ,including a fair few from afar and a bit of a re union of the York bus to Wigan.....

Hope to see you all at York Soul Club ,1 Dec -Xmas party , Maria Willingham guest DJ , then its CIS All niter , Manchester

Edited by YKSoulandy
Social source share

• Replies 193
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Well done Andy really enjoyed the night, spot on about folk turning up from yester year met a mate not seen for 25 years or more.

Hope to see you Wetherby soul nite.

Social source share

Well done Andy really enjoyed the night, spot on about folk turning up from yester year met a mate not seen for 25 years or more.

Hope to see you Wetherby soul nite.

I can't take the credit , it was Kev's do . I just did a DJ spot ...all those there really made it a memorable nite

yes we will be at Wetherby tonite -looking forward to another great local nite of northern

Andy and Denise

Social source share

quick snap shot -

venue full to capacity by 9.30 pm ,

great atmosphere,

'new' book there to browse and sold by shed loads when those looking realised its a substantial re write to reflect todays scene .

Fantastic last two hours from Jamie and Rich (Soulsville, Leeds) behind the decks ,

lots of dance floor action-and some greater dancers

concrete dancefloor surface remarkabily good with a bit of talc help.

Nice spot from Kev Roberts, with a cross the board selection of top 500 plus 45s , suplemented by a few informative words, including the influencial York Soul scene -nice one Kev !-and free admission 2

Lots of movers and shakers there from todays and yesterdays scene ,including a fair few from afar and a bit of a re union of the York bus to Wigan.....

Hope to see you all at York Soul Club ,1 Dec -Xmas party , Maria Willingham guest DJ , then its CIS All niter , Manchester

Andy Bellwood playlist (8-9pm)

Duke Browner 'crying over you'

Al Williams 'I am nothing'

Silky Hargreaves 'Keep loving me (like I do)'

Bobby Sheen ' Something new to do'

Seven Souls 'I still love you'

Terry Callier 'Look at me know'

5 Royales ' Catch that teardrop'

Dottie & Millie 'Talkin' about my baby'

Marv Johnson ' Come on and stop'

Bobby Kline ' Say something nice to me '

Kurt Harris 'Emperor of my baby's heart'

Garnett Mimms 'Looking for you '

Dee Dee Sharpe 'Deep dark secret'

Rose Batiste 'Hit and Run'

Frankie Beverly and the Butlers 'If that's what you wanted'

Gloria Jones 'Tainted love '

Prince Phillip Mitchell 'I 'm so happy'

Narbay 'Believe it or not'

Delites 'Lover'

Enchantments 'I 'm in love with your daughter'

Ike and Tina Turner ' Dust my broom'

Joann Courcey' I got the power'

Harold Melvin & Blue Notes 'Prayin'

Collins & Collins 'Top of the stairs'

DJ Genesis 'Tribute to Betty

Social source share

I find that hard to believe, when KR isn't on any scene , apart from the ONE he promotes at his nostalgic events. I certaily haven't seen him out and about? Attending events as a punter? This MUST surely be "THE TOP 500 at KEV ROBERTS NIGHTS"? Because his limited knowledge doesn't extend beyond that....or he's hiding it well! :thumbup:

Social source share

Because his limited knowledge doesn't extend beyond that....or he's hiding it well! :thumbup:

I just find this an astonishing statement. Why do you think Kev Roberts has a limited knowledge of Northern Soul Paul, because he wrote about just 500 records? He's forgotten more thand you and I will ever know put together. And I've been doing it 33 years, don't know about you.

Social source share

I just find this an astonishing statement. Why do you think Kev Roberts has a limited knowledge of Northern Soul Paul, because he wrote about just 500 records? He's forgotten more thand you and I will ever know put together. And I've been doing it 33 years, don't know about you.

Time doesn't equal respect as far as im concerned Pete. He's obviously forgotten ALL THE GOOD STUFF.!! The guy exists in his own little (or you might call it BIG) world....He in NO WAY, represents the 'scene'. Tell me how many events you see him at, that are not in some way to do with him? At least I manage to go to most events at some point, so i have some idea of whats going on! For someone to be pretentious enough and arrogant enough to publish the top 500 (twice) ,without ever going out and listening or looking, is I feel, a load of Bo--ocks! :thumbup:

Social source share

Delites 'Lover'

OOH! It takes me back to Wigan! :thumbup:

Social source share

Time doesn't equal respect as far as im concerned Pete. He's obviously forgotten ALL THE GOOD STUFF.!! The guy exists in his own little (or you might call it BIG) world....He in NO WAY, represents the 'scene'. Tell me how many events you see him at, that are not in some way to do with him? At least I manage to go to most events at some point, so i have some idea of whats going on! For someone to be pretentious enough and arrogant enough to publish the top 500 (twice) ,without ever going out and listening or looking, is I feel, a load of Bo--ocks! :thumbup:

Yeah but how many events do you see me at yet I'll still give you a run for your money on any given topic concerning NS and it's history (except modern)!

Social source share

Yeah but how many events do you see me at yet I'll still give you a run for your money on any given topic concerning NS and it's history (except modern)!

Ah well there you go, I do modern too! :thumbup: There are clubs that KR never goes to, where he wouldn't know a thing, BUT people on the scene are dancing and appreciating the stuff played there...Burnley, Greatstone, Three Greyhounds, DDA, Wilton and many more. Kev, 'the soothsayer', predictor of 'ALL THAT IS SOUL', 'the great confirmer', hasn't got a Fu--ing clue what goes on...So, its a bit cheeky and reflective of his ego, that he feels he doesn't have to do research when publishing a book that proclaims such a title! Its TOTAL Rubbish! :wicked:

Social source share

Ah well there you go, I do modern too! :thumbup: There are clubs that KR never goes to, where he wouldn't know a thing, BUT people on the scene are dancing and appreciating the stuff played there...Burnley, Greatstone, Three Greyhounds, DDA, Wilton and many more. Kev, 'the soothsayer', predictor of 'ALL THAT IS SOUL', 'the great confirmer', hasn't got a Fu--ing clue what goes on...So, its a bit cheeky and reflective of his ego, that he feels he doesn't have to do research when publishing a book that proclaims such a title! Its TOTAL Rubbish! :wicked:

OK nuff said, not my argument and if he was that bothered he'd come back on and defend himself so - I'm out

Social source share

OK nuff said, not my argument and if he was that bothered he'd come back on and defend himself so - I'm out

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Perhaps you're right Pete, maybe he isn't bothered?

Out of interst which records have been changed in this latest edition? Any more funk tracks in there this time around? :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

There is a strange perception about Kev Roberts, in one breath we mock him, allot of us find him very irritating as a DJ and Radio presenter, I know I do.

But what Pete has stated is absolutely true. Kev's knowledge of records is simply vast, remember he was out there buying tracks up in the seventies and early eighties; he may not know as some of you mention 'what's going on today' but if you put your toe in first time around likely as not you touched upon thousands upon thousands of unknowns as he did..

A third reprint of his top 500 smells of cashing in to me (I for one wont be buying it as I did the two before, gonna spend my money on the Hey Baby Days coffee table book) but with Kev Roberts you have to remember one golden rule, he's a business man, he's in it to make money simply that...if the thousands of unknowns hes come across don't sell to the majority he wont write, play or ever mention them.

Mal.C.

Social source share

There is a strange perception about Kev Roberts, in one breath we mock him, allot of us find him very irritating as a DJ and Radio presenter, I know I do.

But what Pete has stated is absolutely true. Kev's knowledge of records is simply vast, remember he was out there buying tracks up in the seventies and early eighties; he may not know as some of you mention 'what's going on today' but if you put your toe in first time around likely as not you touched upon thousands upon thousands of unknowns as he did..

A third reprint of his top 500 smells of cashing in to me (I for one wont be buying it as I did the two before, gonna spend my money on the Hey Baby Days coffee table book) but with KR you have to remember one golden rule, he's a business man, he's in it to make money simply that...if the thousands of unknowns hes come across don't sell to the majority he wont write, play or ever mention them.

Mal.C.

FAIR ENOUGH and valid point. BUT, because he is ONLY a business man and uses a scene i care about, purely as a source of income, I have NO repect for him. Any positive contribution he ever made to this scene, is far outweighed (like himself :wub: ) by the heartless manipulation and exploitation of it over the years! End of story. The scene is a work in progress, not an antiquity to look back on, like the 'Teddy Boys' or 'Punk'! KR contributes nothing to its 'Life and Soul' and only hinders its survival.....f--k resting on laurels, whats he do now.? :rolleyes:

Social source share

FAIR ENOUGH and valid point. BUT, because he is ONLY a business man and uses a scene i care about, purely as a source of income, I have NO repect for him. Any positive contribution he ever made to this scene, is far outweighed (like himself tongue.gif ) by the heartless manipulation and exploitation of it over the years! End of story. The scene is a work in progress, not an antiquity to look back on, like the 'Teddy Boys' or 'Punk'! KR contributes nothing to its 'Life and Soul' and only hinders its survival.....f--k resting on laurels, whats he do now.? :rolleyes:

WELL PUT OVER PAUL COULD DO WITH A FEW MORE LIKE YOU :wub:

Social source share

Guest biggray1

I move that all Krl promotions and sale's be boycoted from this site. Ihave never read a thread where K Roberts posted anything of interest on soul,records,venues,artists,soul history,or any interest related too this site!!all his posts have been about advertising his and only his venues and marketing of books and ware's. Please lets move on from this and stop advertising someone just cos he let you Dj at one of his soul dews.Roberts is nowt but a user and allways as been. Another Top 500..Strewth its just what the scene needs. pictures of records,hey Roberts get some new music played its 2007. Dionosaur laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

same old aurguement, chaps... if people wanna buy his book..thats fine..im just gonna carry on doin what i enjoy with my buddies!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHILL OUT x

VERY VERY VERY TRUE

WELL SAID.

Lets all have a beer & chill wink.gif

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Delites 'Lover'

Looks like a great play list for that hour, but were many of the records from the first Top 500 book played at the Basement York that night. Can anyone tell me are records like Judy Street and others from the first Top 500 book considered as Oldies now? and that 'they' shouldn't be overplayed at venues or it would be thought of as boring. I was always under the immpression that a record had to be played on the scene 3 years until it was classed as an Oldie, I'm almost sure that the new Top 500 records listed have been about much more than 3 years! Apart from DJ Genesis 'Tribute to Betty and the male version of it of course.

Social source share

great set....dont know about the new book but i would say half of that set was in the old one....cos even if you stick to the 500 you dont have to play the snake or "what"ever....

i will be playing at the bristol "top 500" nite tomorrow and as there are now 5 local djs!! will only get a half hour set but like that set will not just play from the book , will include some of my present faves...as long as they are dancers eh ?

Social source share

Looks like a great play list for that hour, but were many of the records from the first Top 500 book played at the Basement York that night. Can anyone tell me are records like Judy Street and others from the first Top 500 book considered as Oldies now? and that 'they' shouldn't be overplayed at venues or it would be thought of as boring. I was always under the immpression that a record had to be played on the scene 3 years until it was classed as an Oldie, I'm almost sure that the new Top 500 records listed have been about much more than 3 years! Apart from DJ Genesis 'Tribute to Betty and the male version of it of course.

From what I recall all records played on the nite were consistent with new book when one includes the published 'bubbling under' . Hopefully Jamie and Rich will post their play list 2 .

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Andy must have a serious collection to play very rare records like Al Williams, Nabay, De-lites, Frank Beverley and the others, i total just those records up to about seven or eight grand. Apart from DJ Sven or whatever it's called, Tribute to Betty' heard it a couple of times and it began to bore me the third at Whitby, dont think if i never heard it again it would be too soon, do you think that is why the male version is now being spun at Goldsoul events, because of the records life expectancy on the scene? Therefore in this light, Some of the records in the new Top 500 are already played out?

Social source share

I move that all Krl promotions and sale's be boycoted from this site. Ihave never read a thread where K Roberts posted anything of interest on soul,records,venues,artists,soul history,or any interest related too this site!!all his posts have been about advertising his and only his venues and marketing of books and ware's. Please lets move on from this and stop advertising someone just cos he let you Dj at one of his soul dews.Roberts is nowt but a user and allways as been. Another Top 500..Strewth its just what the scene needs. pictures of records,hey Roberts get some new music played its 2007. Dionosaur laugh.gif

Just got a text from my dad..

The point is that Mr Roberts had a clean slate with a lot of us when he first came on here..There are plenty other people making a living out of soul music too on here..Most choose to include the sales pitch with other genral bits of wisdom,John Manship and many others contribute to the site as a whole from time to time...Mr Roberts came on here from day one thinking we were all fools and he could get away with his brand of marketing and just step all over us..

The newspaper CALLED WRISTBAND WEEKLY had a report on the Moday after that weekender..

After a few rounds we had Kev on the ropes,he kept coming back but got put down again and again..He took too many punches in the end and had the crowd against him also with bad boy antics and threats of legal action if you would dare to question him..He came like a dictator but got blown away by free speech :) ... He left to lick his wounds and came back under a different name to spy on us :lol: and see what free speech was doing to his reputation...He seems to have hung up his gloves now with us but still fights in other forums that will fall for all the flannel....

Events at Whitby were the beginning of the end for Goldsoul with many on here,people stood up to the bully and said "you get away with murder on the whole but not on here.....Many have said that Mr Roberts should leave is PR to others because he made a real mess of it with members on here....I now know so many folk who would not go to any Goldsoul event ever again after some of his comments and actions...

He will always have a very big say with regards to whats on in the soul world but now he does realise that we aint all gonna fall for the biggest/best/ bla bla bla .....

I have friends who still go to his events,would never try to question them,free world and all that..Many have a good time..I choose to stay away for health reasons :shades:

Merry xmas xxx

Rev....Kenny Lynch...

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Just got a text from my dad..

The point is that Mr Roberts had a clean slate with a lot of us when he first came on here..There are plenty other people making a living out of soul music too on here..Most choose to include the sales pitch with other genral bits of wisdom,John Manship and many others contribute to the site as a whole from time to time...Mr Roberts came on here from day one thinking we were all fools and he could get away with his brand of marketing and just step all over us..

The newspaper CALLED WRISTBAND WEEKLY had a report on the Moday after that weekender..

After a few rounds we had Kev on the ropes,he kept coming back but got put down again and again..He took too many punches in the end and had the crowd against him also with bad boy antics and threats of legal action if you would dare to question him..He came like a dictator but got blown away by free speech :lol: ... He left to lick his wounds and came back under a different name to spy on us :shades: and see what free speech was doing to his reputation...He seems to have hung up his gloves now with us but still fights in other forums that will fall for all the flannel....

Events at Whitby were the beginning of the end for Goldsoul with many on here,people stood up to the bully and said "you get away with murder on the whole but not on here.....Many have said that Mr Roberts should leave is PR to others because he made a real mess of it with members on here....I now know so many folk who would not go to any Goldsoul event ever again after some of his comments and actions...

He will always have a very big say with regards to whats on in the soul world but now he does realise that we aint all gonna fall for the biggest/best/ bla bla bla .....

I have friends who still go to his events,would never try to question them,free world and all that..Many have a good time..I choose to stay away for health reasons shades.gif

Merry xmas xxx

Rev....Kenny Lynch...

Think your 'Dad' has got it about right Stevie, old chap! :)

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Andy must have a serious collection to play very rare records like Al Williams, Nabay, De-lites, Frank Beverley and the others, i total just those records up to about seven or eight grand. Apart from DJ Sven or whatever it's called, Tribute to Betty' heard it a couple of times and it began to bore me the third at Whitby, dont think if i never heard it again it would be too soon, do you think that is why the male version is now being spun at Goldsoul events, because of the records life expectancy on the scene? Therefore in this light, Some of the records in the new Top 500 are already played out?

Would have thought anything in the top 500 was played out before it made the book. :)

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Anyone care to post up the top 50? Have no idea what they are, but could do with a laugh and I won't get my Broons annual 'til Christmas! :rolleyes:

post-1355-1196286408_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest clanger v2

Anyone care to post up the top 50? Have no idea what they are, but could do with a laugh and I won't get my Broons annual 'til Christmas! :D

post-1355-1196286408_thumb.jpg

......care to post up your top 50?

I'm sure a few might have a chuckle at those as well......

End of the day it's all about personal opinion isn't it? :D

At least by publishing a book / list, you're putting your balls on the line and inviting debate.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

At least by publishing a book / list, you're putting your balls on the line and inviting debate.

Don't have a top ten, let alone a 'top 50'  can't see the point of rating tunes in this way. How can you put say, Robert Tanner over Sandy Golden? Both excellent examples of classy Northern mid-tempo, one male, one female, why choose? Or put them against Joseph Webster or Parliaments. Different types of tune all brilliant in their own right.

Can't be done with lists, it's like the '100 greatest war movies' how can you rate 'Private Ryan' over "In which we serve"? If it's good, it's good, placing it in a list doesn't make it better or worse than those above or below. :D

Social source share

What Balls? :D Only ones I see , are 'MOTH BALLS' !

Social source share

Guest clanger v2

What Balls? :D Only ones I see , are 'MOTH BALLS' !

Surely nostalgia will play a part in anyones top 500........

A book of this kind will always get criticised and even ridiculed by a few.....but what it does is help to educate people who weren't fortunate enough to have been around at the time, as well as serving as a useful reference point for those that were.

Similar aims as 'Once Upon A Time In Wigan' I expect?

Can't see a problem with it myself.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

A book of this kind will always get criticised and even ridiculed by a few.....but what it does is help to educate people who weren't fortunate enough to have been around at the time, as well as serving as a useful reference point for those that were.

Mike, can we have a "Incoming! don your tin hats" emoticon please! :D

Social source share

Thats not the point. Kev Roberts did it so it must be shit, you know the rules round here.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Rubbish, criticism and ridicule is for art, this is pure and simply a sale pitch in paperback. Oh my goodness "educate people who weren't fortunate to been around at the time" what time was that?? its still going on, and has been for the last five or so decades. As for a reference book, a reference to what?..what is available to purchase from Goldsoul perhaps!.. Wakeup man.

Social source share

Guest clanger v2

Thats not the point. Kev Roberts did it so it must be shit, you know the rules round here.

I hear you Pete :D

.....how stupid of me to forget :D

Social source share

Ah well there you go, I do modern too! :D There are clubs that KR never goes to, where he wouldn't know a thing, BUT people on the scene are dancing and appreciating the stuff played there...Burnley, Greatstone, Three Greyhounds, DDA, Wilton and many more. Kev, 'the soothsayer', predictor of 'ALL THAT IS SOUL', 'the great confirmer', hasn't got a Fu--ing clue what goes on...So, its a bit cheeky and reflective of his ego, that he feels he doesn't have to do research when publishing a book that proclaims such a title! Its TOTAL Rubbish! :D

Paul,

How did you research your play? Did Wigan Casino re-open for you?

I also think that people like Ian D, Butch, Soul Sam and Richard S need to be careful. When you put a certain amount of time into starting venues, or reach a certain amount of time as a DJ on the scene, or God forbid in our capitalist democracy, make money by providing a service, it seems you become a pariah and an outcast.

The current ones are Kev Roberts, Ian Levine and Russ Winstanley. No I must be wrong there, because Chris Waterman (Hi Chris, long time no see) got some stick a couple of years ago, because he was fairly new on the promoting side, and was accused of making money out of the scene.

The book is fine for those who want to buy it. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

If you like new films, do you rant and rave about people still liking the Shining or the Godfather? Probably not.

Whats the difference, or is there only one opinion to be listened to on here Paul?

Social source share