Soul In South Africa

John Reed

I'm off to Johannesburg with work in January. I don't envisage any crate digging, but thought it's worth a try asking people if there were any shops?

South African released soul records have also been mentioned here from time to time, which I find it quite strange as these were released during the apartheid. So are there any oddities to look out for?

Cheers,

John

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm off to Johannesburg with work in January. I don't envisage any crate digging, but thought it's worth a try asking people if there were any shops?

South African released soul records have also been mentioned here from time to time, which I find it quite strange as these were released during the apartheid. So are there any oddities to look out for?

Cheers,

John

soul and blues union (SABU) on atlantic single whats the fuss and think there may be an album 70's. i know someone who wants the single ,they were a band from rhodesia would not recomend going there to look.

mark

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There's a very rare CL Blast album, called "Made In Africa", that was only issued in SA (on WEA) and was, in fact, recorded in Jo'Burg! There's also a Percy Sledge Atlantic album "Live In South Africa" that isn't, in fact, live, but that is interesting because of Percy's between-song bigging-up of SA and its people, saying that they and their country are so nice he's thinking of coming to live there! (He had a # 1 in SA with his version of "Silent Night", of all things...)

Other than that, there are plenty of interesting SA-pressed 45s, if you can find anywhere that sells oldies. You could probably shift a few copies of Johnny Nash's "Why Didi You Do It" (CBS) - an old Sidedoor Soul and later Norfolk Village favourite, that seems to have been released on 45 only in SA (it's on his "Let's Be Friends" LP here). But as someone posted above, vinyl findings in SA have tended to be reported as non-existent by those who have been in recent years. Expect to find nothing and be pleased if you do!

Social source share

Had a look at the Righteous Brothers - Souled Out lp I've got and on the rear of the cover it's stampedSpringbok Radio Record Library and again underneath Springbok Radio Discoteek. Also the number 40474 stamped on it and that is alkso written on the record label itself.

Social source share

I was in South Africa this year, Cape Town. Now I know that South African pressings exist, however could I find any vinyl whatsoever, NO.

It's the only place in the world that I've never found any vinyl and I wasn't just looking for soul records!

They were there at one time but what's happened to them goodness knows.

I was directed towards an Antique Shop but it was closed. Guess it's how we'll be in a few years time (see my other thread, demise of the traditional record shop.)

One other thing, it's not really a place for mooching down backstreets looking for old vinyl outlets!! Made some of more run -down parts of USA feel quite safe!

Hope you prove me wrong and for all that it's a great place for a holiday.

Social source share

Cheers,

John

I had a Chapter 5 You Dont Mean It on SA CBS so if that was issued good chance that there are other gems to be had.

Ian

Social source share

Here's a few bits I've got from South Africa:

Adam Wade

Shine on silver moon / Keeping up with the Joneses

Kirshner 1652 (1978)

-----------------------

Revelation

Feel it / When I fall in love

Gallo 1939 (1981)

-----------------------

Oscar Toney Jr

The baby is mine / Workin' together

Atlantic 555 (1971)

-----------------------

Gloria Scott (LP)

What am I gonna do

Casablanca NAL 27003 (1974)

------------------------

There may be others, but these are what I know of for sure :thumbsup:

Of course, I didn't go there in person, but picked them up through lists and the internet :unsure:

Have a good, but safe trip!

Social source share

Here's a few bits I've got from South Africa:

Oscar Toney Jr

The baby is mine / Workin' together

Atlantic 555 (1971)

-----------------------

Plus his 'I Wouldn't Be A Poor Boy' - Atlantic ATS 542 - brilliant Deep soul and also his great version of 'Dark End Of The Street' on SA Stateside. Thanks to Denny - who I think is on here - he found quite a lot of stuff over there - that he kindly passed on.

And of course there is the 'Silver topped' London Darrell Banks - Open the Door...etc'

Mike

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert