Plinston

Same with our Scotland vs England alldayer mate - 120 in and packed to the rafters and , in the words of Kenny Burrell, " the best event in Scotland in years." Just goes to show that it's not all about numbers. 

Which reminds me... I should really organise another one.  :rolleyes:

Hammy

link

Yes you should :rolleyes: loads asking me when the next one is, even Dean Anderson asking last night :thumbsup:laugh.gif

Edited by chalky
  • Replies 73
  • Views 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The fact is Stoke only has the big name DJ's. Whether you like their style or not the DJ's there know their stuff.. Come on, lets be honest, it's true.  Each DJ there is successful in their own right and they have filled dance floors time and time again all over the country.. Places like Stoke have a lot to offer to the Soul Scene.. Always packed out ... always successful.. Come on, we are being honest, if you go or not.. we all know that's the score..

So places like Plinston and all those other little clubs around the country, with their "dim wit promoters"  - what have they really got to offer, apart from keeping the Soul Scene alive up and down the country? Giving Soulies with commitments a chance to go out every weekend, not just 4 times a year, the chance for Soulies who have to work of a weekend a chance to go out, as an allnighter is out of the question.  Giving unknown dj's the chance to get their foot in the door so, in a few years time, when they are known they can go on and play at the likes of Stoke...

Just thought.......Imagine if no one gave any new DJ's a chance. What would happen in the future, when some of the big names retire, and there is nowhere to go, because all the "Dim Wit promoters" have called it a day, because they didn't know what they were doing.

Would it be a case of "well the scene's dead because we never gave any unknowns a chance, so now we can't go out".

Maybe promoters should think about this.  There is always the question of the scene dying in years to come because we don't get youngsters in.  Maybe young people don't want to go somewhere where the DJ is older than their dad!!!

Sure, we are into Northern for the love of the music.  Me personaly, if I talk to someone who has run a do and they say it was really bad, I show support as I want people to go out and listen to the music that I love, I want them to understand it like I try to.

You don't have to be the biggest and best at everything, as long as you enjoy it and your doing it for the right reasons..

link

He's got a point. Well written.

in the future, when some of the big names retire, and there is nowhere to go, because all the "Dim Wit promoters" have called it a day, because they didn't know what they were doing.

Would it be a case of "well the scene's dead because we never gave any unknowns a chance, so now we can't go out".

Maybe promoters should think about this.  There is always the question of the scene dying in years to come because we don't get youngsters in.  Maybe young people don't want to go somewhere where the DJ is older than their dad!!!

link

Maybe the big venues should give at least one unknown/upcoming DJ a chance :yes: Just because they aren't known names doesn't mean they are inferior to some of the so called big names :yes:

Edited by chalky

He's got a point. Well written.

link

Maybe the big venues should give at least one unknown/upcoming DJ a chance  :yes:   Just because they aren't known names doesn't mean they are inferior to some of the so called big names  yes.gif

link

i agree with this chalky doesnt one of the nighters @ sheridans support this policy :yes:

Guest boots

Good call but pointless telling half the dim wits who promote. They sadly wallow in their own stupidity then complain when they endure a bad night.

link

MR ROBERTS

I HAVE JUST BEEN ALLERTED TO THIS THREAD BY ABOUT 100 TXT MESSAGES,AS I AM ONE OF THE PROMOTERS AT PLINSTON,AND CAN COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM BUT UNFORTUNATLY YOU DID PUT IT A THREAD ABOUT PLINSTON.

BUT I HAVE TO SAY THANK YOU BECAUSE AFTER BEING A LITTLE HURT I HAVE BEEN INUNDATED WITH EMAIL AND TEXT FROM PEOPLE WHOM LOVE OUR VENUE AND AS SOMEONE ELSE HAS JUST POSTED THINK ALL THIS PRESS IS GONNA MAKE OUR MAY EVENT A PACKER,

AT PLINSTON ONE OF OUR POLICYS IS TO PROMOTE NEW DJS BECAUSE BOTH MYSELF TAFFY AND THE BIG O BELIEVE ONLY NEW BLOOD WILL KEEP THE SCENE ALIVE AND SOMETIMES LOOKING AT SOMETHING THROUGH A NEW SET OF EYES IS EXCITING AND BRINGS SOMETHINK NEW TO THE PROCEDINGS

IF YOU EVER FANCY TRYING SOME OF OUR NEW DJS GIV ME A CALL AND ILL SEE WHAT I CAN DO FOR YOU EG MISCHIEF,CHRIS STANLEY,MOLLY,DAVE HALSALL,DAVE FLEMING TO NAME BUT A FEW REAL QUALITY NEW DJS

IF YOU WANT A QUICK OVERVIEW HAVE A WORD WITH GINGER,BUTCH,MICK SMITH,MICK H,TERRY JONES,SEAN CHAPMAN AS THEY HAVE ALSO ALL GRACED OUR DECKS AND SPOKE HIGHLY OF BOTH THE VENUE AND THE PEOLE WHOM RUN IT

YOURS SINCERLEY

BOOTS

:yes: .

blush.gif Jesus Christ! You go away for a few hours of quality time with the kids and family and when you return World War 3 has broken out and a thread about a soul club in the South has attracted an attack on promotions UK wide, an onslaught of epic proportions and the odd witty retort (and I single you out Mischief for some quality relpies!) That said I have to answer some of the points made, and there have been many, and hope that I have understood what was being said well enough as reading through this thread has really been an effort and my head is spining now.....

:yes: The first thing I want to say is that we have never moaned about the numbers or blamed them on anything. We have always said that the low turnout was due, we belive, to the weekender effect and the fact that we were forced to move to a Saturday in March as that was the only date free. Not an ideal date, the ONLY date. It didn't work for us because of a combination of many smaller factors all combining to make a big hole :P in our usual numbers of 350+.

Regarding your comments Kev I have to say they did leave a bitter taste in my mouth. You may not have directed them, as you claim, at us but it certainly read that way (and this is a thread about the Plinston.) It does look as though you then backtracked. However if I have got this wrong then I stand corrected. Taking that point aside I can't understand why you chose to launch an attack on other promoters and how they run their events, unless you have an axe to grind with individuals in particular and hence saw an opportunity to exploit a situation (not that you have ever done that on here in the past :yes: ) My views on the scene have been well documented in print and on here, and I'd suggest Kev you read your own publications as there was a 5 page spread on us in there :P

The smaller weekly, monthy soul nights have been the lifeblood of the scene since the day it began, encouraging new blood to take their first steps into this twilight world we love. Without them there wouldn't be a scene in a few years time! How people choose to run their event is up to them but I know that it doesn't matter what size they are or what the motives are, it is bloody hard unrewarding work puting a do on. They should be encouraged and not discouraged by some ill thought comments placed by someone who obviously thinks they may be a threat to his promotion. As many have said on here, Stoke is an allnighter and a successful one at that but the small clubs are just as important to spread the faith. Hammies Kempston events is one of my all time fave nights, only around 100 in max. but always a great night and always a top guest DJ behind the decks and a perfect example to quote. If you want to debate this issue Kev then go and start a new thread rather than insert it here where it is not relevant to this debate.

Moving on... as Boots as said we have been inundated with emails and texts from our members and friends alike expressing their support for the club (and many thanks for that everyone) and the funny thing is that we more than likely will have the usual full house on May 6th, which should please Molly and Mr Chapman no end! I may have to think of giving VicG a full time position as our events promoter :) KarenB's post was spot on and as a regular I value her contribution as she can express her feelings on last night from an informed

basis. Taff, as usual, hit the nail on the head and Mischief beat me to the punch with his detailed reply and thoughts, damm him.

In short we suffered, like many other clubs, due to Prestatyn. This is not an excuse or a moan but just a fact. We lost money last night but you have to take it on the chin and just carry on with what you truly belive in the best you can. The knockers and those that cant wait to kick you at the earliest opportunity will always be there, awaiting their chance, but the regulars and those with a mind of their own will always make their own choice and vote with their feet if a venue should be supported or not, regardless of the infighting, bitchy comments and self promotion of others :yes:

Lastly, I have to point out that for those that didn't enjoy the night in the Main Hall (because The Ghetto! as always was a great night) there were also those that said it was a fantastic night. Yes we had our lowest turnout of around 150 (see Taffy's posting above) but it was still, on the whole, the usual friendly fun filled welcoming night it is rightly known for. Do yourself a favour, if you want to know what it is really like then come and visit us on any night and make your own mind up. That's the only way to truly be able to express an opinion, good or bad.

* By the way, will post some of the sounds I spun here later as requested, from my early evening slot.

"The Modern issue is always a hard one :-) We do spin some Modern in the Main Room, mostly classic dancers that have been played on the Northern scene, as we do get requests for it but I have taken on board your points. I take it you wont be attending our first 100% Modern Soul event on sat. April 16th then :-)"

In reply to the above comments I should have been a bit more specific - I do like modern & crossover. What gets on my pip a bit is when a big name modern DJ clears the floor in the northern room & ruins the atmosphere. Worse still when they refuse to alter their play list. I suppose its an ego thing, but I really can't understand it.

Would have been coming to your do April 16th, as I think it will be an excellent nite.

But it clashes with another modern soul do in Chichester. Gutted. :yes:

Generally, all things considered I have always enjoyed Plinston & look fwd to my next visit.

YOU HAVE TO CONSIDER THE SIZE OF THE PLINSTON, I THINK THERE WAS AROUND 150 PEOPLE IN LAST NIGHT WHICH IS ABOUT 50% DOWN ON NORMAL BUT HOW MANY EVENING DO'S EVEN ATTRACT THAT MANY? I DON'T BELEIVE THAT CHANGING THE NIGHT TO A SATURDAY OR THAT STOKE AND SKEGGY WHERE ON PLAYED THAT MUCH OF A FACTOR TO THE ATTENDANCE I THINK IT WAS DUE TO THE FACT THE NIGHT WAS TRAPPED BETWEEN PRESTATYN AND EASTER.LOTS OF THINGS ON IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS AND WE AIN'T GOT BOTTOMLESS POCKETS.HEARD UNOFFICIALLY THAT STOKES NUMBERS WERE SLIGHTLY DOWN AS WELL KEV.THE PLINSTON IS A GREAT VENUE AND WILL BOUNCE BACK NEXT TIME FOR SURE. ONE BAD NIGHT AND A NEGATIVE POSTING AIN'T GOING TO KILL THIS VENUE OFF.THERES TO MANY SOUL PEOPLE IN THE SOUTH TO LET THAT HAPPEN.

link

Great post! :yes:

if chris king did what he did at bisley ie copy everyone elses records he wud be lucky to pull hi f***skin back

i was very disappointed in his set

you cant judge an event by one duff nite

give it another go....every venue deserves a 2nd chance

the promoters at plinston do a great job but without the numbers there what can you do

Steve,

You are right, harsh indeed, and very TRUE.

Some deserve to lose customers and I don't mean Plinston as I have no idea of the make-up surrounding the event. But the amount of silliness and lack of thought by some promoting events beggars the question ...why bother?

They will no doubt give us the old line....'we don't care if we get 50 in and lose money'. In truth they are LYING.

At least others(no matter how small) say exactly what they mean and stick by it.

Examples of this are; NO MORE DOGGIN' (In my opinion a pointless exercise, however I praise them for promoting their idea of Northern Soul.

JOHNNY BEGGS and his Crewe event sets out their stall perfectlly and does 'what it says on the tin', obviously Sheridans have identified who their fan base really is and stick by their guns.

PROMOTERS-Think carefully on who you are trying to attract. If you want RARE and OBSCURE event and do not care if 20 turn up....great .. RESPECT. But don't wear a false hat and aimlessly hire DJ's with no fan base and worse  CAN'T FILL DANCE FLOORS. It's simply a bad deal for folks spending hard earnt money travelling to see 3rd rate entertainment and the organiser somehow blaming everybody except themselves!

link

Well!

I'm a bit late catching up on this thread and it seems most of the points in the above post have been answered.

But Kev, why single out No More Doggin? Is it because they are relatively unknown and do not come on here to defend themselves?

There are other rare soul nights in the midlands that only attract modest numbers....are they less pointless because they are run by a big name DJ?

The guys at NMD take pleasure in finding and playing out of the ordinary music.

I would sooner go there and hear some fresh sounds and have intelligent conversation with some true enthusiasts than go to a crowded oldies night or nighter to hear the same records I heard in the 70s and watch stoney faced, staring "soulies" perform in high waisted fancy dress.

The reason some of these events are thinly attended is the same as the reason there were only 16 people, several of them DJs and their wives, in the connoisseurs room for the final hour at Ilkeston last month.

The people who try to push the boundaries will always find it hard, but without them the scene will die when the Wigan oldies fans decide to hang up their beer towels.

Dave

Well!

I'm a bit late catching up on this thread and it seems most of the points in the above post have been answered.

But Kev, why single out No More Doggin? Is it because they are relatively unknown and do not come on here to defend themselves?

There are other rare soul nights in the midlands that only attract modest numbers....are they less pointless because they are run by a big name DJ?

The guys at NMD take pleasure in finding and playing out of the ordinary music.

I would sooner go there and hear some fresh sounds and have intelligent conversation with some true enthusiasts than go to a crowded oldies night or nighter to hear the same records I heard in the 70s and watch stoney faced, staring "soulies" perform in high waisted fancy dress.

The reason some of these events are thinly attended is the same as the reason there were only 16 people, several of them DJs and their wives, in the connoisseurs room for the final hour at Ilkeston last month.

The people who try to push the boundaries will always find it hard, but without them the scene will die when the Wigan oldies fans decide to hang up their beer towels.

Dave

link

spot on :yes:

I just got back home from ther Plinston event at Letchworth, I have never been so dissapointed with an event in my life. Im 37 years old and first got into the scene at the age of ten, Scunthorpe and Cleepthorpes were my home teritory,with the awsome DJ's of the likes of Rick Scott, the music was awsome. I have been into this music you could say all of my life, i know the good songs and hell i know the bad...

Tonight at Plinston started off ok, but after 11pm it went totaly down hill, dont know where they got the dj from Gary Belcher but he was a waste of space, and he was the guest DJ ? Every record he played was dire, just got worse. I will never ever attend Plinston in Letchworth ever again, they simply do not have the records and they just like modern too much and i for one just dont want to hear it.

link

===========

Last night was the first Plinston I have missed since it's inception. It's my favourite local event, great floor and great music. Obviously I can't comment on the music content last night as I wasn't there, but to judge a venue after your first visit? Bit silly isn't it? Bearing in mind Neil has had guests as diverse as Ginger, Soul Sam, Mick H, Shaun Chapman, Hammy (Bedford) to make the judgement after one visit seems a little farcial. Each DJ has his/her own identity, perhaps last nights DJ's didn't fit your musical bill, but I would urge you to give it at least one more go. What have you got to lose?

Winnie:-)

"although have to agree about the modern when they have a dedicated room for it upstairs"

Agree with Soulsters comments above.

Have previously watched Sam doing an absolutely blinding modern set upstairs with packed danced floor. The witnessed him trot downstairs into the big northern room & play similar tunes & clear the floor.

link

=========

I think some would argue that along with Butch, Andy D, Arthur Fenn, Sam is one of the most innovative DJ's currently on the scene, and as with the aforementioned is one of the few pushing the scene forward.

===========

Last night was the first Plinston I have missed since it's inception. It's my favourite local event, great floor and great music. Obviously I can't comment on the music content last night as I wasn't there, but to judge a venue after your first visit? Bit silly isn't it? Bearing in mind Neil has had guests as diverse as Ginger, Soul Sam, Mick H, Shaun Chapman, Hammy (Bedford) to make the judgement after one visit seems a little farcial. Each DJ has his/her own identity, perhaps last nights DJ's didn't fit your musical bill, but I would urge you to give it at least one more go. What have you got to lose?

link

I think you read the first post in the thread without actualy reading the whole thread, its like bringing up your food after its been eaten, please take the time to read my other posts in the thread

Good call but pointless telling half the dim wits who promote. They sadly wallow in their own stupidity then complain when they endure a bad night.

link

==========

Very harsh post Kev, it reads like Neil and Kay were complaining when in fact all they said was that they would address the points raised by Vic G! Surely that's the art of GOOD promoting? As I say, I could be reading your post incorrectly, and I'm sure you'll correct me if I am.......and of course if I am misreading your post, I apologise.

No need to worry your brains about why Plinston was quiet - the answer's simple - I was there. The Big O himself will confirm for you all that the only quiet nights they ever have are the ones I turn up to. The fact that I haven't been able to make it up for about a year (thanks to my job) has left the way clear for them to turn in the storming blinders they've had every time, while the fact that my last visit also happened to be sandwiched between Prestatyn and Easter and on the same weekend as Skegness has nothing to do with anything, honest guv.

I'm a 100% supporter of Plinston - Neil is one of the true Good Guys of the scene and he puts on a top-notch night which deserves everyone's support - though given my track record he may prefer me to show my support by keeping well clear of the place :yes: !

I've checked my rota and I'm on nights for their next one, so you're guaranteed a cracker. Go to that one and see Plinston as it's meant to be - one of the best nights out on the scene!

All the best,

Nick

We don't get it at Stoke due to the fact WE KNOW WHAT WERE DOING.

And we try and help venues with on air publicity like the Greatstone! Imagine if the gig had no mentions on Smooth, Solar etc?

link

===========

I have now noticed (sorry reading the posts in order, so replying the same way) that you have said you were not referring to Plinston. But I would ask the question, is it usual for promoters to battle it out on an internet list? You run the most successful nighter (numbers wise) in the UK, and that is clearly because you play to your target audience, that's excellent promoting, and should be recoginised. But why disrespect other promoters because they don't in YOUR opinion match up, is it really needed? I am guessing some of what you say is tongue in cheek, and you're probably redressing the balance in your view, but the numbers you get through the door make your argument for you, so why go on the attack? And because you HAVEN'T SPECIFIED, which promoters you are talking about, any or all promoters on this list will feel that they are being singled out.

Very harsh Kev,but have to agree far to many nites just thrown together with no thought to dj quality or other promotions already on.This is not an attack on plinston as i now a lot of people who speak very highly of the venue,but Kev has a point.

link

=========

You say Kev is harsh, and then you go onto agree with him. The smaller promoters do their best to please their crowds, they haven't got the same amount of money to throw at promoting the event, so maybe they're not as professional as some, but you can only do your best. The implication in both yours and Kev's posts, is that your venues are better than everyone elses, and IMO is unwarranted and a slur on the 'soulies' intelligence and ability to differentiate. How about instead of saying my venue is great, you let us, as ''punters" decide, if we agree we'll be filing through the door at your next event.

Ta Andy..Just trying to help a few promoters think things through and don't be blinded by self indulgent passion, unless of course they really could not care less if anyone comes to their event. That's OK too! But at least be clear on who you are trying to attract. Anyone claiming to play 'up front R&B, 60's Rarities etc has a better chance of attracting a real audience than somebody who prints flyers with a view to trying to entice the mainstream, then hires DJ's to play obscure stuff. The traveller who likes the old feel good tunes, quite rightly will be upset.

link

============

So why couldn't you have made your comment like this in the first place. I don't think anyone could disagree that the flyer must represent the musical policy of the event, every punter should know what he/she is getting. The above post is far more informative and has lost the original condescending tone IMO.

Source Advert