• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest rachel

Nighters should be on a Friday

link

No they shouldn't, I'd never be able to get anywhere!

(Suppose some might say that's another good reason for it :thumbsup: )

Social source share

47 posts & one half decent stab at a reply!

I love you guys :thumbsup:

Seeing as you've all got your lateral thinking hats on - work this out.

6 million people in London - how come we can't get a second 'regular' all-niter up & running.

Personally I blame Londoners. I think London is too good for 'em :boxing:

Col.

Colin, Im no organiser but I think I might be able to give valid reasons -

1 trying to get a venue in London is hard and can be expensive - I would assume - also trying to get extended licences, etc too.

2 there have been other warm ups before 100 before, but as people come from all over, some have a way to drive, some will stay up north, etc., and go out up there, before coming down (or other way round if Wales, Bristol, etc ways!) traffic in London is always busy, especially West End way, people dont want to spend so much time sitting in traffic when they could be either in the pub, etc., enjoying themselves!

Im sticking up for the Londoners being one myself - even if I live 'on the border' now! Not everyone in London thinks London is too good for them, people from 'London' and surrounds travel up North, I could give many examples.

Im not slagging off what you said, as you should know me enough by now Colin, I try to play fair - if pos. so just trying to put you straight about your comments. x

Social source share

Colin, Im no organiser but I think I might be able to give valid reasons -

1 trying to get a venue in London is hard and can be expensive - I would assume - also trying to get extended licences, etc too. 

2 there have been other warm ups before 100 before, but as people come from all over, some have a way to drive, some will stay up north, etc., and go out up there, before coming down (or other way round if Wales, Bristol, etc ways!) traffic in London is always busy, especially West End way, people dont want to spend so much time sitting in traffic when they could be either in the pub, etc., enjoying themselves! 

Im sticking up for the Londoners being one myself - even if I live 'on the border' now! Not everyone in London thinks London is too good for them, people from 'London' and surrounds travel up North, I could give many examples.

Im not slagging off what you said, as you should know me enough by now Colin, I try to play fair - if pos. so just trying to put you straight about your comments. x

link

Blimey. I wasn't expecting a sensible reply.

Just decided last nite (for no apparent reason) it was open season on Londoners!

It still is today :thumbsup:

See you later :thumbsup:

Social source share

That'll be same weekend as 100 Club?  Two nighters in London same weekend???  Not very good planning IMO.

link

Just imagining Johnny Gamels Parents thinking we must make sure when we concieve - that our baby's 40th birthday doesn't fall the same weekend as the 100 club. :thumbsup:

Now that would be fantastic planning :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just decided last nite (for no apparent reason) it was open season on Londoners!

It still is today :lol:

link

I can be sensible sometimes, honest! :thumbsup::thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

It still is today :thumbsup:

link

The only thing wrong with London is that its full of people who aren't from London. Its a magnet for every twat in the country, as well as twats actually from London. They come here and pretend that they work in advertising or "nu meejer" whatever that may be. There are pubs full of them, drinking alcopops and taking ecstasy, the scruffy bastards always block the way to the bar. :thumbsup:

Does anyone want/need two allnighters a month? I'd like a nice Saturday afternoon event, start at about 2.00 and end at 8.00. That would do me nicely.

Social source share

The only thing wrong with London is that its full of people who aren't from London.  Its a magnet for every twat in the country, as well as twats actually from London.  They come here and pretend that they work in advertising or "nu meejer" whatever that may be. There are pubs full of them, drinking alcopops and taking ecstasy, the scruffy bastards always block the way to the bar. :rolleyes:

Does anyone want/need two allnighters a month?  I'd like a nice Saturday afternoon event, start at about 2.00 and end at 8.00.  That would do me nicely.

link

Great idea Stuart, finish at 8pm & then everyone down to Vivos @ 9 for Solid Hit Soul 16/4/05 with Mark Bicknell + usual Herberts :thumbsup:

Dave G

Social source share

Didn't they stop afternoon Tea Dances after the 2nd World War :rolleyes:

link

Some of us are getting to a certain age where maybe it might be worth starting them again - then we could be back in the home for lights out at 10, will there be special allowances made for our zimmers.

Social source share

The only thing wrong with London is that its full of people who aren't from London.  Its a magnet for every twat in the country, as well as twats actually from London.  They come here and pretend that they work in advertising or "nu meejer" whatever that may be. There are pubs full of them, drinking alcopops and taking ecstasy, the scruffy bastards always block the way to the bar. :rolleyes:

Does anyone want/need two allnighters a month?  I'd like a nice Saturday afternoon event, start at about 2.00 and end at 8.00.  That would do me nicely.

link

Hi ya Dave, I agree on some of the above, was from London, now on border (of London not madness?!), but still feel more of a Londoner than a Suburber!! Think you're right about the magnet bit for some - wonder if you dropping hints on anyone in particular? but then again, I drink alcopops - trying to stay young of course! dont do drugs though but used to work in publishing/advertising - wot are I - apart from confused?!

P.s. hope you well and see you soon, lots of luv

Social source share

Hi ya Dave, I agree on some of the above, was from London, now on border (of London not madness?!), but still feel more of a Londoner than a Suburber!! Think you're right about the magnet bit for some - wonder if you dropping hints on anyone in particular? but then again, I drink alcopops - trying to stay young of course! dont do drugs though but used to work in publishing/advertising - wot are I - apart from confused?! 

P.s. hope you well and see you soon, lots of luv

link

Sorry bet you all confused now Ive confused you for being confused!!!

Mean't Hi Dave, but message for for Stuart T!! :thumbsup:

Thank God Its Friday (It is isn't it?) !! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Sorry bet you all confused now Ive confused you for being confused!!!

Mean't Hi Dave, but message for for Stuart T!!  :thumbsup:

Thank God Its Friday (It is isn't it?) !!  :rolleyes:

link

I also used to live and work in advertising in London but I don't think they had invented alcopops then!!!!!

Social source share

link

A saturday afternoon do in london would be great, mind you these do take place at various peoples flats most weekends, maybe we should grab a pub for them

Social source share

Guest hammy

Tips for those on the London scene:

Why not have an afternoon doo at one with one of the many Mr Bean alikes that frequent the scene down there. Don't they all live in Bow with Mother Brown?

How about this for a party game: spend time going round all the guests with a tape measure to check hems and mohair threads comply with scene standards before settling down with a packet of Spangles to watch old Simon Dee interviews!

:rolleyes::thumbsup::yes::yes::yes:

Hammy

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Ooh you slating the London Mods hammy?

link

he can slag london mods if he likes as long as he stays away from dundee ones or he'll have to face me at the spiders web tomorrow lolol

Social source share

Guest hammy

Ooh you slating the London Mods hammy?

link

Nah - they're cool. You don't need to fire off a succession of gossipy missives just yet. :rolleyes::thumbsup::yes:

Anyways, it's the Barking Mods I can't fathom :yes::yes::yes:

Hammy

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Tips for those on the London scene:

How about this for a party game: spend time going round all the guests with a tape measure to check hems and mohair threads comply with scene standards

link

Is this a variation on the traditional Scottish competition to choose the most bonnie ginger haired laddie in a check skirt with a purse and a fruit knife in his sock? :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Barking is evil though.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Great idea Stuart, finish at 8pm & then everyone down to Vivos @ 9 for Solid Hit Soul 16/4/05 with Mark Bicknell + usual Herberts  :rolleyes:

Dave G

link

Solid Hit Soul? Mark Bicknell? 16 April? Count me in, I'll be there. Have you got a link to the website?

Social source share

Great idea Stuart, finish at 8pm & then everyone down to Vivos @ 9 for Solid Hit Soul 16/4/05 with Mark Bicknell + usual Herberts  :rolleyes:

Dave G

link

Solid Hit Soul?  Mark Bicknell?  16 April?  Count me in, I'll be there.  Have you got a link to the website?

link

You've been taking lessons off Bexter haven't you?? :thumbsup::yes::yes:

Social source share

Nah - they're cool. You don't need to fire off a succession of gossipy missives just yet.  :rolleyes:   :thumbsup:   :yes:

Anyways, it's the Barking Mods I can't fathom  :yes:   :yes:   :yes:

Hammy

link

:yes::yes::yes:

Edited by Janine
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

You've been taking lessons off Bexter haven't you?? :rolleyes:   :thumbsup:   :yes:

link

Nah, I have developed a taste for alcopops and am starting a career in marketing. Anyone know where I can buy a skateboard and some hair gel?

Bexter would have written "Solid Hit Soul is the best and longest running nighter in EC4 ever" or something.

Social source share

Guest hammy

Is this a variation on the traditional Scottish competition to choose the most bonnie ginger haired laddie in a check skirt with a purse and a fruit knife in his sock?  :yes:   :rolleyes:

Barking is evil though.

link

And we dye our pubes orange. At some soul nights we take turns ... :thumbsup::yes:

The scottish analogy surely cannot be made with mod culture as you suggest. But if mods could be compared to a nation in humerous terms, which one would it be?

Somewhere it feels like the 1960s, everyone drives vintage vehicles, and all the women wear short skirts and too much make up?

Albania perhaps ?

:yes::yes::yes:

Hammy

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Somewhere it feels like the 1960s, everyone drives vintage vehicles, and all the women wear short skirts and too much make up? 

Albania perhaps ?

:rolleyes:   :thumbsup:   :yes:

Hammy

link

No, they're too hairy and Albania doesn't swing. It does sound remarkably like a cross between East Germany and Basildon.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Dave G

link

I fancy that.

But as a Mod who moved to London from outside and has always worked in new media I'm feeling too persecuted to leave the house! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I fancy that.

But as a Mod who moved to London from outside and has always worked in new media I'm feeling too persecuted to leave the house!  :rolleyes:

link

You think you've got problems - I've moved out of London got out of advertising/media and look what I'm reduced to attending this sor tof event cos it's the only one that will have me on the decks or even let me through the doors

post-2137-1112378766_thumb.jpg

Edited by chrissieo
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

You think you've got problems - I've moved out of London got out of advertising/media and look what I'm reduced to attending this sor tof event cos it's the only one that will have me on the decks or even let me through the doors

post-2137-1112378766_thumb.jpg

link

I can't believe that they are still using that old picture of me. :rolleyes:

Social source share

The answer to your question soulsmith is our big is the classic soul scene.Because weve got to many going to northern nights.Wanting to hear the same old drivel.Yes you know who you are.

Social source share

The answer to your question soulsmith is our big is the classic soul scene.Because weve got to many going to northern nights.Wanting to hear the same old drivel.Yes you know who you are.

link

:rolleyes::thumbsup::yes::yes:

someone stop me - I feel another epic coming on

Shrine have u read the posts on the previous page!

Social source share

chrissieo I like your sass

10,000 or thereabouts doesnt seem like a lot of people. I thought there were more than that :rolleyes:

link

=========

10000 still on the northern scene? That seems quite a lot, that's like having 50 do's every weekend with 200 people at each....or are my maths out?

Winnie:-)

Social source share

=========

10000 still on the northern scene? That seems quite a lot, that's like having 50 do's every weekend with 200 people at each....or are my maths out?

link

WOW I'm impressed with the math thing!!!

I can't even count how many Leffe's I drank at the wellie on sat!!

Social source share

link

=======

There's a difference between a record being played so many times it becomes boring, and drivel. A quality record is a quality record however many times you've heard it, it may get on your nerves, but DRIVEL, surely you don't mean that!

Social source share

=========

link

No, the maths are good.

But I said originally that we were including people who only went out once a month.

I think you area assuming that the same people go out every week-end,

We need to work out a way to average it out.

Now I do beleive Chrisseo is ok with quadratic equations. Maybe she can help?

Col.

Social source share

No, the maths are good.

But I said originally that we were including people who only went out once a month.

I think you area assuming that the same people go out every week-end,

We need to work out a way to average it out.

Now I do beleive Chrisseo is ok with quadratic equations. Maybe she can help?

Col.

link

Unfortunately have a pressing engagement with a pint of Hooky Dark at 9 and only just read your post - but brain usually works better after a couple of pints - could be the early hours before this one is worked out, and then it could be utter BULL :thumbsup::wicked::wicked: But there again who cares after a few pints and "What is the meaning of life?"

QOF :lol:

Social source share

Yes plenty.

Where do I start on this one. 

First of all Sir may I thank you for re-raising this thread as I have been waiting for someone to, so that I can put pen to paper, on a more serious note than the flippant sometimes cutting (but only meant in jest) remarks I some times make.

I have been made welcome by the vast majority of people on this site (JT, Ken, BigO, Janine, Karneb etc etc.........u know who u are..),- and to you people I say thank you and apologise in advance for what is to come!!!!

First I do agree with about 21 words of your posting

I do think that soul-source attracts a certain type of punter though..I think most are wanting something a bit different.

But that's about as far as it goes

Handbaggers - now there's a term, do I qualify, usually only attend about once a month but would go to an all nighter ?.

not the handbag revival crowd and over played/done to death top 500..

Lets take this in two parts

1. the handbag revival crowd  (is this me)

If I am not mistaken, and do please correct me if I'm wrong your definition of these people would be - someone who has been out of the scene for a long time and perhaps just wants to hear the same tunes they were dancing to 20-30 years ago

Not someone who wants some good music once in a while or come back full onto the scene - or may be not, as the second part of your statement refers to

2. overplayed/done to death top 500

I don't know how old you are or how long you have been on the NS scene and frankly - "I don't give a damn", but let me into how it feels to be one of the revival crowd (or returnee as I prefer to refer to us).

We've done our bit marrying the wrong men/women, bringing up kids, putting our careers first, all this rightly or wrongly, but for whatever reasons did not stay on the NS scene.

We come back to a scene that unfortunately has people in it like yourself (and your not the first person on this forum to make similar comments) bigoted superior minded and basically up your own a*se.

That over played top 500 you talk about - do you think us returnees want just to listen to what we were listening to at wigan in 73-74, no we also want to hear new discoveries but it does take time to catch up for 20 lost years, and some of this top 500 are like a comfort blanket to us until we catch up with the NOW!

Other threads have dealt with the concerns over the NS scene dying off well it's hardly going to survive if people like you don't make people like me welcome. I have always thought the more the merrier - obviously not in your opinion as were not good enough for the likes of you.

It is not only on this forum I have experienced this kind of superiority, was told not long ago, by a certain collector that I wouldn't enjoy a local event because they wouldn't be playing anything I knew - oh sorry am I only allowed to listen to what I listened to 30 years ago.

I'll sum up how the scene could come across to some people, people maybe visiting the SS for the first time

DJ's playing to DJs,

"I'll show you yours if you show me mine" syndrome

Bickering across the genres

And that returnees are second class citizens.

well maybe if it hadn't been for some of us and some of that over played 500 you talk about in the early 70s there wouldn't be a scene now.

PS the QOF signature is a piss take on myself and to all the mistakes I've made in my life over the past 47 year - If you can't take the p*ss out of yourself then don't do it to others.

link

i personally think one or two salient points have been raiseed here. I have seen and been part of the snobbery involved over a certain record, but it is like art ,if you like it you'll buy it,but on the other hand if you are told it is good you will buy it just to be part of the scene.

What is good is what you enjoy personally, what does it for you . I enjoy many songs that a 'purist' would hold his head in shame for, but I like them I listen to them.

when I do my soul nights I have to cater to a pub full of people who may have have heard of NS but never been there. So i have to play mainstream and oldies and old chart soul and then introduce some northern to try to show them how good the music really is. If a bloke in a pub dont hear stuff he knows now and again, he's gonna leave.

Also i believe the reason it so good to dance to is the simplicity of the beat- a straight 4/4. motown proved that. over produced music is a turn off. keep it simple stupid(KISS)

sorry if i upset the 'police' but i am 48 and not a NS newbie i use cd's and i love it and i will use a laptop too.

Social source share

i personally think one or two salient points have been raiseed here. I have seen and been part of the snobbery involved over a certain record, but it is like art ,if you like it you'll buy it,but on the other hand if you are told it is good you will buy it just to be part of the scene.

What is good is what you enjoy personally, what does it for you . I enjoy many songs that a 'purist' would hold his head in shame for, but I like them I listen to them.

when I do my soul nights I have to cater to a pub full of people who may have have heard of NS but never been there. So i have to play mainstream and oldies and old chart soul and then introduce some northern to try to show them how good the music really is. If a bloke in a pub dont hear stuff he knows now and again, he's gonna leave.

Also i believe the reason it so good to dance to is the simplicity of the beat- a straight 4/4. motown proved that. over produced music is a turn off. keep it simple stupid(KISS)

sorry if i upset the 'police' but i am 48 and not a NS newbie i use cd's and i love it  and i will use a laptop too.

link

by the way the 'top 500' is top cos iy's fookin great, otherwise it would be the bottom 500

Social source share

sorry if i upset the 'police' but i am 48 and not a NS newbie i use cd's and i love it  and i will use a laptop too.

link

what has pub nights got to do with this thread or come to think of it this site

Social source share

what has pub nights got to do with this thread or come to think of it  this site

link

pubs have a lot to do with it really. i am trying to show peeps NS and i cant do that in a club that is established so i have to try at grass roots level, hopefully some of these people will like and get deeper into it. how you think it started? in the palladium??

Social source share

what has pub nights got to do with this thread or come to think of it  this site

link

:D Before you all start throwing your teddies at Dave, or the soul police come and arrest him, IMO he is making some very good points.

Where as I would not want or expect to see CDs/computers etc used at NS gigs he is trying the best way he knows how to spread the word.

We all see the demise of the NS scene as we all fall off this mortal coil as inevitable, but Dave is passionate about his music and by introducing it to new people in any way he can or feels will work, he is doing his up most to make sure the scene stays alive which is more than I can say for a lot of us (Yep that's me included).

Pub nights are important to the NS scene as they open up an opportunity for people who apart from the KFC ads have never really heard it and think it's some obscure weird cult where people wear funny clothes and shake talc on the dance floor, to hear what it's really all about. OK you can't play all northern at some of these evenings but by using main stream soul oldies as the theme it is very easy then to blend in some NS and get the interest going.

My local pub in Bedford has 4-5 NS dos a year and the majority of people there are not off the scene but people out for a night out and it's surprising how many of them start asking questions about where else locally they can go to hear more.

Keep spreading the gospel Dave - you know it makes sense!!!! :D

QOF

XXX

Social source share

blush.gif Before you all start throwing your teddies at Dave, or the soul police come and arrest him, IMO he is making some very good points.

Where as I would not want or expect to see CDs/computers etc used at NS gigs he is  trying the best way he knows how to spread the word.

We all see the demise of the NS scene as we all fall off this mortal coil as inevitable, but Dave is passionate about his music and by introducing it to new people in any way he can or feels will work, he is doing his up most to make sure the scene stays alive which is more than I can say for a lot of us (Yep that's me included). 

Pub nights are important to the NS scene as they open up an opportunity for people who apart from the KFC ads have never really heard it and think it's some obscure weird cult where people wear funny clothes and shake talc on the dance floor, to hear what it's really all about.  OK you can't play all northern at some of these evenings but by using main stream soul oldies as the theme it is very easy then to blend in some NS and get the interest going.

My local pub in Bedford has 4-5 NS dos a year and the majority of people there are not off the scene but people out for a night out and it's surprising how many of them start asking questions about where else locally they can go to hear more.

Keep spreading the gospel Dave - you know it makes sense!!!! blush.gif

QOF

XXX

link

do us a favour

check out this guys other threads first before using words like passionate

whining about price of records then trying to justify fact he's playing mp3s of a poxy laptop

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert