Is The Northern Soul Scene Too Stifling Nowadays?

Guest Simon

Just reading through a few posts on here recently got me to thinking, is the Northern Soul scene becoming more stifling?

Certain people maybe even including myself seem to be less likely to give something a chance that isn't pure 4/4 NS.

I'd personally like to play more 6ts girl Soul/Pop but would peeps be willing to give it a chance.

Two records i've discovered recently that i think are phenomenal are Cindy Malone - Watch what you do with my baby & Sue Winford - If you try to steal my baby, both uptempo storming dancers imo but are they Soulful enough for some people, incidentally they are both listed under NS on JM's site.

Must admit personally i don't particularly want to hear too much Modern/7ts or R & B but i wouldn't get too upset if i heard one or two, recent posts on here have included people getting upset about hearing one Ska tune & the possibility of a Lulu record being played at an NS venue.

Simon

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just reading through a few posts on here recently got me to thinking, is the Northern Soul scene becoming more stifling?

Certain people maybe even including myself seem to be less likely to give something a chance that isn't pure 4/4 NS.

I'd personally like to play more 6ts girl Soul/Pop but would peeps be willing to give it a chance.

Two records i've discovered recently that i think are phenomenal are Cindy Malone - Watch what you do with my baby & Sue Winford - If you try to steal my baby, both uptempo storming dancers imo but are they Soulful enough for some people, incidentally they are both listed under NS on JM's site.

Must admit personally i don't particularly want to hear too much Modern/7ts or R & B but i wouldn't get too upset if i heard one or two, recent posts on here have included people getting upset about hearing one Ska tune & the possibility of a Lulu record being played at an NS venue.

Simon

No I dont believe it is Simon, I wondered that myself but came to the conclusion that

It's just a loud minority that you're hearing!. :ohmy:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

The point is if a soul night advertises its music policy and it stays within it, nobody can really argue, its when it promises one thing and delivers another.

Its not a new problem, but it is a persistant problem.

Ive never heard a ska record played at a soul night ever, and would ask for my money back if I did (Unless it was advertised that it could be a possibility in the first place).

I suppose 'Across the board' covers all angles, so a good marketing plan could get away with anything.

Ed

Social source share

Simon

I just play it and sod em all laugh.gif I think they have come to expect a little of 60ts girlie pop/soul from me at Blue Skies and would be suprised if I didn't play any. Both the above are great tracks and should be played but unfortunately not in my collection YET!!!!.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

I just play it and sod em all :rolleyes: I think they have come to expect a little of 60ts girlie pop/soul from me at Blue Skies and would be suprised if I didn't play any. Both the above are great tracks and should be played but unfortunately not in my collection YET!!!!.

QoFxx

ffs thought we'd left all this shit behind in the 70s/80s should we play lulu should we play sandie shaw susan maughan etcetcetc, aren't there enough unplayed & in lots of cases never played £10/20 soul records to play without resorting to out & out pop records. If you're looking for something different there are 100s probably thousands that were never played because they weren't rare enough for major niters.

"Both the above are great tracks" In a 60s pop club maybe

Ska at Northern Soul events ? why because it's black ? I'll look forward to hearing Jimi Hendrix sometime by that criteria

Social source share

ffs thought we'd left all this shit behind in the 70s/80s should we play lulu should we play sandie shaw susan maughan etcetcetc, aren't there enough unplayed & in lots of cases never played £10/20 soul records to play without resorting to out & out pop records. If you're looking for something different there are 100s probably thousands that were never played because they weren't rare enough for major niters.

"Both the above are great tracks" In a 60s pop club maybe

Ska at Northern Soul events ? why because it's black ? I'll look forward to hearing Jimi Hendrix sometime by that criteria

I don't own nor would play any of the above you have mentioned but there are one or two I would play that I actually class as 60s soul/pop crossover that I would. i.e. Peggy March, Friday Brown, Joey Heatherton, Dusty. Any of my other 60s girlie stuff stays safely out of reach of the public as I don't think that the majority of them should be played. So I am in both camps on this one, yes I like it but nooo most of it should not be heard at a soul night. So there :rolleyes:

QoFxx

Social source share

I don't own nor would play any of the above you have mentioned but there are one or two I would play that I actually class as 60s soul/pop crossover that I would. i.e. Peggy March, Friday Brown, Joey Heatherton, Dusty. Any of my other 60s girlie stuff stays safely out of reach of the public as I don't think that the majority of them should be played. So I am in both camps on this one, yes I like it but nooo most of it should not be heard at a soul night. So there :thumbsup:

QoFxx

You didn't mention Barbara Mills Chrissie :rolleyes:

Social source share

I just play it and sod em all I think they have come to expect a little of 60ts girlie pop/soul from me at Blue Skies and would be suprised if I didn't play any. Both the above are great tracks and should be played but unfortunately not in my collection YET!!!!.

QoFxx

unfortunateley its becoming more common .the play it and sod em djs , dont know wot their agenda is ? we go to northern venues to listen and dance to northern soul nowt else.. why should we the punters payin good money an travelling to northern venues have put up with obscure music that never has been or never will be northern;please if u are dj,ing at a northern venue play wot it says on the tin . and indulge in your strange music somewhere else .. :thumbup::thumbup: barney

Social source share

unfortunateley its becoming more common .the play it and sod em djs , dont know wot their agenda is ? we go to northern venues to listen and dance to northern soul nowt else.. why should we the punters payin good money an travelling to northern venues have put up with obscure music that never has been or never will be northern;please if u are dj,ing at a northern venue play wot it says on the tin . and indulge in your strange music somewhere else .. g.gif:thumbup: barney

My comment was a little tongue in cheek, I am a great lover of 60s girlie pop, but see it for what it is and now and again when I think it will work I will slip one or two into my spot, some of the reocrds I class as girlie 60s pop some people herald as great soul records so I feel its ok to play the odd one or two i.e. Friday Brown, Peggy March, Barbara Mills - (Take your time not QOF), Joey Heatherton, and the odd Dusty track etc etc

Most people I know, know that 60s girlie pop is my thing and Its just a bit of an in joke and I appologise for that :thumbup:

QoFxx

Social source share

My comment was a little tongue in cheek, I am a great lover of 60s girlie pop, but see it for what it is and now and again when I think it will work I will slip one or two into my spot, some of the reocrds I class as girlie 60s pop some people herald as great soul records so I feel its ok to play the odd one or two i.e. Friday Brown, Peggy March, Barbara Mills - (Take your time not QOF), Joey Heatherton, and the odd Dusty track etc etc

Most people I know, know that 60s girlie pop is my thing and Its just a bit of an in joke and I appologise for that :thumbup:

QoFxx

angie n me love opera seen aida twice go a few times a year but wouldnt dream of playin verdi at a northern do . :thumbup:

Social source share

unfortunateley its becoming more common .the play it and sod em djs , dont know wot their agenda is ? we go to northern venues to listen and dance to northern soul nowt else.. why should we the punters payin good money an travelling to northern venues have put up with obscure music that never has been or never will be northern;please if u are dj,ing at a northern venue play wot it says on the tin . and indulge in your strange music somewhere else .. :thumbup::thumbup: barney

Barney

Think Chrissie was having a bit of a larf, she actually plays good northern soul when she's DJing, even if she does like 60s girlie pop and occasionally drops one the odd Joey Hetherton us. She's certainly got her soul credentials that's for sure.

Social source share

Barney

Think Chrissie was having a bit of a larf, she actually plays good northern soul when she's DJing, even if she does like 60s girlie pop and occasionally drops one the odd Joey Hetherton us. She's certainly got her soul credentials that's for sure.

hi steve take on board wot u said .but am typical barnsley lad work hard play hard say it as I see it. into soul since late 60s..appreciate other music ,but northern is the one n only .may be comin across as a borin old fart, but can assure u this .u would have a larf with us :thumbup::thumbup:g.gif

Social source share

hi steve take on board wot u said .but am typical barnsley lad work hard play hard say it as I see it. into soul since late 60s..appreciate other music ,but northern is the one n only .may be comin across as a borin old fart, but can assure u this .u would have a larf with us :thumbsup::yes::ohmy:

I am sure I would and you are not coming across as boring - likewise you'd have a larf if you came down the smoke to Blue Skies. I am among the first to get on my high horse about real soul music and I am also self-elected president of the little known "HSJNA" society - thats "Holly St James NEVER AGAIN" :shades:

Social source share

I am sure I would and you are not coming across as boring - likewise you'd have a larf if you came down the smoke to Blue Skies. I am among the first to get on my high horse about real soul music and I am also self-elected president of the little known "HSJNA" society - thats "Holly St James NEVER AGAIN" :shades:

I will confirm this, Steve has banned me from playing HSJ when he is about and I don't even put it in my play box anymore just in case he fancies a game of frisbie :thumbsup:

It has been relegated to "red label" in my colour coded system which stands for "pure girlie 60s pop and DONT EVEN GO THERE!!!!!!!!! :yes: "

QoFxx

Social source share

I will confirm this, Steve has banned me from playing HSJ when he is about and I don't even put it in my play box anymore just in case he fancies a game of frisbie :thumbsup:

It has been relegated to "red label" in my colour coded system which stands for "pure girlie 60s pop and DONT EVEN GO THERE!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: "

QoFxx

:no: no , think the scene is very Healthy at the min. loads of nites to pick from... ( 2 many) :yes: And most play a crossover style... Depends on where you visit ? And who,s the dj. :shades: But for me, i feel its good, just go with the groove, and dance, keeps the scene alive.. :yes: mart

Social source share

I will confirm this, Steve has banned me from playing HSJ when he is about and I don't even put it in my play box anymore just in case he fancies a game of frisbie :D

It has been relegated to "red label" in my colour coded system which stands for "pure girlie 60s pop and DONT EVEN GO THERE!!!!!!!!! :unsure: "

QoFxx

That's a shame Chrissie as it's a fantastic tune, better than a lot of the dull 'proper Soul' you hear out & about!

Simon

Social source share

That's a shame Chrissie as it's a fantastic tune, better than a lot of the dull 'proper Soul' you hear out & about!

Simon

Maybe you should change the heading of your thread to Northern Dance, or 60's pop, or any record with a beat and a shrill girl voice, or some other suitable heading that doesn't attract all these boring soul fans Simon!

Expect a slightly better quality of debate and insult from you to be honest! The constant knocking of anyone that dares to be a soul fan on here is becoming very tedious and tiresome, as well as generally uninformed, won't use the word ignorant as that seems to be less acceptable than spouting false views.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert