Gaetanos Manchester

Guest Soultown andy

Guest Soultown andy

Anybody on here remember or went to Gaetanos,a friday nite soul club run by Dave Withers in 78/79 in manchester.I used to go there with a guy called carl from farnworth near bolton,not seen him since was told he goes out occasionaly but have,nt been able to find him,if anyone has any info would be grateful.

Social source share

• Replies 48
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Soultown andy

Yes tim all new spins for searling at the time,it did,nt last long about 6 mths if i remember rightly,and it had a terrible tiled dance floor.

Social source share

What about Nocturne - also in Manchester. Changed it's name to something else. Tuesday night soul sessions with Richard S. Two great big pillars in the middle of the dancefloor.

I used to borrow records off Richard and give them back to him at Wigan on the Saturday.

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

You beat me to it - I was going to say carolines

Anyone remember Siz he used to work in Stolen from Ivors Shop in the Market

link

went to gaetanos yes floor was tiled very poor dancefloor was it run by dave withers and rod shard.

yes i know siz very well still see him we go for a curry fairly regularly he is a dj agent and still dj's himself.

he is now twice divorced and has 2 kids. was'nt it justins where he worked.

used to go to carolines on tuesday night was'nt this where richard put some records on the roof of his car and forgot about them one was the unreleased len barry album. was a very good night only downside was J W Lee's beer.

mark

Edited by mark.b
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

I still see siz now and again,who remembers siz and tony justs soul club [snobs],soul nites over britain.Ran soul nites in rhyl and all dayers at an irish club in manchester the ardree,they were my first dj gigs.Only siz could think of a name that bad.

Social source share

went to gaetanos yes floor was tiled very poor dancefloor was it run by dave withers and rod shard.

yes i know siz very well still see him we go for a curry fairly regularly he is a dj agent and still dj's himself.

used to go to carolines on tuesday night was'nt this where richard put some records on the roof of his car and forgot about them one was the unreleased len barry album. was a very good night only downside was J W Lee's beer.

mark

link

Was anybody at Carolines the night that Dave and Rod had got a load of 45s that Granada studios were getting rid of?

Almost all demos, row after row of Cameo Parkway, Stateside, etc. Shane Martin demo, Lynne Randell demo etc etc etc. Engrained in my memory thumbsup.gif

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

I still see siz now and again,who remembers siz and tony justs soul club [snobs],soul nites over britain.Ran soul nites in rhyl  and all dayers at an irish club in manchester the ardree,they were my first dj gigs.Only siz could think of a name that bad.

link

hi it was myself siz and tony just who thought up the S.N.O.B name in a bar one afternoon in manchester the little man in a top hat with walking cane was the symbol,

ton's stall was a good place lots of good records came from there, it was where siz discovered sue lynne dont pity me.

think tony then moved his stall to rhyl market do not know where he is now.

mark

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Siz also discovered joey heatherton and sold it to richard we must know each other mark,i was always hangin around with siz in those days,still got my snobs membership card.

Social source share

Siz also discovered joey heatherton and sold it to richard we must know each other mark,i was always hangin around with siz in those days,still got my snobs membership card.

link

what is your name and where do you come from my name is mark baildon i grew up in old trafford and we used to travel a lot with siz me tony jackson john blackburn and a few others we used to sell new soul time for siz.

i had some of the old flyers for snobs that i laminated and gave to siz a couple of years ago funnily enough i did not have a membership as don't think i ever paid to get into any snob nights.

he got joey heatherton from a belgian lad who used to come over he loaned it to richard until it was massive then asked for it back and richard buckled and paid about £100 for it as he could not afford to let it go.

mark

Edited by mark.b
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Marc im Andy Mccabe from bury i djd at all those snobs nite as well as the carousel allniters and a few spots at pembroke halls with dave evison.Ive still got a copy of sizs new soultime mag,which is weird reading these days.I run the soultown niters at sheridans and soon to be niter back at tonys empress.

Social source share

Marc im Andy Mccabe from bury i djd at all those snobs nite as well as the carousel allniters and a few spots at pembroke halls with dave evison.Ive still got a copy of sizs new soultime mag,which is weird reading these days.I run the soultown niters at sheridans and soon to be  niter back at tonys empress.

link

hi andy your name rings a bell think i went to first carousel nighter only never went to pembroke halls i run the gretastone night now with my friend tony jackson another of siz's friends, the greatstone was one of siz's and ross's nights from early 70's

mark

Social source share

Was anybody at Carolines the night that Dave and Rod had got a load of 45s that Granada studios were getting rid of?

Almost all demos, row after row of Cameo Parkway, Stateside, etc. Shane Martin demo, Lynne Randell demo etc etc etc. Engrained in my memory :D

Godz

link

Yes I was there- It was amazing seeing all these uk demos-A Patten/major lance etc

I went to the studios and got a few pop demos as the souls ones had all gone. :angry:

Social source share

mark

link

Hi Mark my name is Steve Eckersley and Im originally from Swinton.

I use to work part time in Global/Yankees. cannot remember where I met Siz

I used to Dj not on the soul scene at the beginning but in the usual clubs and private Parties. I used to frequent most of the places in Manchester. Iused to love the Blue rooms at Sale cos we played football outside more than we danced inside. It always used to be Spurs V City cos Richard was a Spurs fan.

I rember getting my cock out once and slapping it on the counter at the paybox in the Blue room and saying to the girl "One Please"-things you do when you are young!

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Siz and tony just ran a few do,s at the blue rooms,i dj,d at an alldayer there in the late 70s,was,nt many there as i recall.

Social source share

I don't remember Gaetanos, but do recall going to nights at the Blackbird Cafe, which was behind Debenhams, that too had a badly tiled floor. I think it was in a cellar.

link

Gaetano's and The Blackbird Cafe were the same place, not behind Debs but actually behind the old Littlewoods opposite where Sacha's Hotel is now.

Oh yeah I used to go as well with another handful from Salford.

Tony

Edited by tonyp
Social source share

Hi Mark my name is Steve Eckersley and Im originally from Swinton.

I use to work part time in Global/Yankees. cannot remember where I met Siz

I used to Dj not on the soul scene at the beginning but in the usual clubs and private Parties. I used to frequent most of the places in Manchester. Iused to love the Blue rooms at Sale cos we played football outside more than we danced inside. It always used to be Spurs V City cos Richard was a Spurs fan.

I rember getting my cock out once and slapping it on the counter at the paybox in the Blue room and saying to the girl "One Please"-things you do when you are young!

link

hi steve from swinton its me alan royle also from swinton.

pembroke halls & carousel good god i was young then :rolleyes:

Social source share

hi steve from swinton its me  alan royle also from swinton.

pembroke halls & carousel good god i was young then  :rolleyes:

link

I also still live in Swinton, remember the Pembroke halls and the Carousel, what about the Wishing well on Station road? and the Duke Of Wellington on the "top road".

Social source share

I also still live in Swinton, remember the Pembroke halls and the Carousel, what about the Wishing well on Station road? and the Duke Of Wellington on the "top road".

link

The Carousel on Plymouth Grove, :angry: had a copy of the Jades on Nite Life nicked outta my bag there ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Carousel was the first allniter i dj,d at, got 6 quid of martin christie the promoter and had to chase him all round the place to get it,martin was well known for being a bad payer ,the good old days.

Social source share

Carousel was the first allniter i dj,d at, got 6 quid of martin christie the promoter and had to chase him all round the place to get it,martin was well known for being a bad payer ,the good old days.

link

Bad Payer, f*** me you should have experienced his driving.

Both hands on the wheel at ALL times if there was nobody in the passenger seat to change gear for him we.d still be sat on the car park at Wigan.

Tony

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

What ever happened to him t,last time i saw him he had a drink problem and was liveing with a balerina[i kid you not] in leigh,but that was about 79.

Social source share

hi steve from swinton its me  alan royle also from swinton.

pembroke halls & carousel good god i was young then  :)

link

Hi Alan- God it was so many years ago- Remeber Joe Turners dance academy where we first played northern- Lanky Hall, Pembroke halls(i dj there once).

Do you remember a guy called Iam Mc Mullen or Ian Newcombe?

Stiil come back to sSwinton acouple of times ayear as my family are still there!

All the best Steve

Social source share

link

Oh my God the Duke of Wellington- I used to go to watch the Salford Jets play there every week- Wakling round the Town Town Looking at the squares!

does anyone remeber this !

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Gaetanos: one of the worst clubs ever - but also one of the best ones. Only because of the music. This was the era of rare sounds like I am nothing, I don't like to lose, Gone With The Wind, Country Girl, Lover and ermm Hey Little way Out Girl, (OK stop laughing, it wasn't all perfect!)

Quite right, the dance floor was terrible. And the only reason they had a a late licence was because food was served (and I use the term 'food' in it's most liberable sense). But it was a 'club' because it had a sense of community. For a short while it encapsulated the Manchester scene and anyone who was anyone was seen there.

I can't exactly remember why but there was a time when the club felt compelled to rival Ian Clarke's clubs in London, and there was a really genuine discussion about having a 'Who Can Smuggle The Largest Animal' into the club competition. :P

I was pretty much out of control at the time and brought along a nurse I was screwing from Burnley one week. She ended up on the floor having injected herself (eek!) and I wasn't made to feel welcome after that, but I do remember Dave Withers pulling me over to the bar to tell me he had 3 copies of Vickie Baines coiming from the states. A few weeks later it transpired it was the 'other' Vicki Baines record. Not 'Country Girl'. I also remember selling a Jock Mitchell demo for £4 there. And feeling quite smug afterwards.

So, some great nights with some great music, cos we had Searling in our backyard playing his Wigan greats mid-week. And we were all whippersnappers with big hard-ons and terrible haircuts. :P

Social source share

Gaetanos: one of the worst clubs ever - but also one of the best ones. Only because of the music. This was the era of rare sounds like I am nothing, I don't like to lose, Gone With The Wind, Country Girl, Lover and ermm Hey Little way Out Girl, (OK stop laughing, it wasn't all perfect!)

Quite right, the dance floor was terrible. And the only reason they had a a late licence was because food was served (and I use the term 'food' in it's most liberable sense). But it was a 'club' because it had a sense of community. For a short while it encapsulated the Manchester scene and anyone who was anyone was seen there.

I can't exactly remember why but there was a time when the club felt compelled to rival Ian Clarke's clubs in London, and there was a really genuine discussion about having a 'Who Can Smuggle The Largest Animal' into the club competition.  whistling.gif

I was pretty much out of control at the time and brought along a nurse I was screwing from Burnley one week. She ended up on the floor having injected herself (eek!) and I wasn't made to feel welcome after that, but I do remember Dave Withers pulling me over to the bar to tell me he had 3 copies of Vickie Baines coiming from the states. A few weeks later it transpired it was the 'other' Vicki Baines record. Not 'Country Girl'. I also remember selling a Jock Mitchell demo for £4 there. And feeling quite smug afterwards.

So, some great nights with some great music, cos we had Searling in our backyard playing his Wigan greats mid-week. And we were all whippersnappers with big hard-ons and terrible haircuts.  whistling.gif

link

is that you dave,

kel thomas

Social source share

Yes I was there- It was amazing seeing all these uk demos-A Patten/major lance etc

I went to the studios and got a few pop demos as the souls ones had all gone. :angry:

link

Funnily enough, Steve, Major Lance was the only artist MISSING from that batch. We knew Doris Troy wasn't there, cos the guy who'd taken it was the same guy who told us about the records in the first place. As I recall it was Javelin Recording Studios, round the corner from Granada. All the records were 30p each and in mint condition, and 99% of them were demos. Pretty much everything on UK was there, but it was just before the great 'UK Boom' took a hold on the scene, so we probably missed some of the later discoveries.

Records weren't worth that much anyway back then. I got £16 for Kim Weston's 'Helpless' (TMG) and £18 for 'I dig your act" (S/S) both original mint UK demos. The most expensive thing I sold was a demo of 'I wanna know', which was still massive at the time. Searling bought it for £25. At Caroline's. I think Dave W hung on to a lot of his as he actually collected UK demos at the time. He was in hog heaven. whistling.gif

Hi Kel, long time see.

Social source share

Oh my God the Duke of Wellington- I used to go to watch the Salford Jets play there every week- Wakling round the Town Town Looking at the squares!

does anyone remeber this !

link

hi used to got there regular sunday night was'nt it great nights there usde to be about 10 of us from old trafford,

mark

Social source share

And we were all whippersnappers with big hard-ons and terrible haircuts.  shhh.gif

link

Was that when yours was died blond and there was something odd about your eyebrows? (either jet black or shaved off) Being a couple of years younger you scared me half to death whistling.gif

Godz

Social source share

Was that when yours was died blond and there was something odd about your eyebrows? (either jet black or shaved off) Being a couple of years younger you scared me half to death :shades:

Godz

link

Sheesh, I'd forgotten about that, Godz. But yeah, you're right. I DID dye my hair blonde as I was homeless and on the run at the time. I was in a pub in Prestwich and Carts , Michael Carty, organised a whip-round to get me to shave my eyebrows off. It raised about £3 - which was a 'night out' in a Joey Holts pub at that time. :)

Thanks for reminding me laugh.gif

Social source share

Sheesh, I'd forgotten about that, Godz. But yeah, you're right. I DID dye my hair blonde as I was homeless and on the run at the time. I was in a pub in Prestwich and Carts , Michael Carty, organised a whip-round to get me to shave my eyebrows off. It raised about £3 - which was a 'night out' in a Joey Holts pub at that time.  :shades:

Thanks for reminding me  :)

link

Where is Carts these days? Is he still as tall and skinny?

Godz

Social source share

Where is Carts these days? Is he still as tall and skinny?

Godz

link

You forgot ugly, he still gets out from time to time,last seen by me at the Ritz(last one)

Also Hello Mr McCadden not seen you for long time where you hang out nowadays?

Tonyp (AKA Mad Tony from Manchester)

Social source share

Sheesh, I'd forgotten about that, Godz. But yeah, you're right. I DID dye my hair blonde as I was homeless and on the run at the time. I was in a pub in Prestwich and Carts , Michael Carty, organised a whip-round to get me to shave my eyebrows off. It raised about £3 - which was a 'night out' in a Joey Holts pub at that time.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for reminding me  :)

link

have you still got the long black leather as well

mark

Social source share

have you still got the long black leather as well

mark

link

I left that leather coat in the Black Lion one night. Never saw it again :angry: Saw Carts the other week though. He sure ain't skinny anymore.

(Should I be worried when someone called MAD TONY asks me where I hang out?)

Worsley actually, Tony, which is why the Swinton boys never find any sounds in their charity shops. :lol:

Or do you? :lol:

Social source share

I left that leather coat in the Black Lion one night. Never saw it again  :angry: Saw Carts the other week though.  He sure ain't skinny anymore.

Worsley actually, Tony, which is why the Swinton boys never find any sounds in their charity shops.  :lol:  

Or do you?  :lol:

link

ah the black lion on a sunday night top night hey with dave and rod first place i ever got to dj at many a good night with ross, al birkhead, tony jackson, J B my brother paul, imelda wendy and quite a few others.

mark

Social source share

I left that leather coat in the Black Lion one night. Never saw it again  :angry: Saw Carts the other week though.  He sure ain't skinny anymore.

Worsley actually, Tony, which is why the Swinton boys never find any sounds in their charity shops.  :huh:  

Or do you?  wink.gif

link

Dave

I'm your worst nightmare

Somebody from along way back who remembers everything swoon.gif

Flat on Whitaker Lane ring a Bell?

Rowntrees?

Railway & Nats?

Bongo's?

Dave & Rods Market Stall?

Brian Walker and Me at the Piccadilly Club?

Carolines?

Any of this coming back?

Tony from SALFORD!!

Social source share

Dave

I'm your worst nightmare

Somebody from along way back who remembers everything :)

Flat on Whitaker Lane ring a Bell? No, unless it was one of the many places I smoked weed.

Rowntrees?yaye - excellent, if slightly violent (Mike Shaft?)

Railway & Nats? Prestwich Pub, we made our OWN entertainment (and slightly violent)

Bongo's? No, but probably involved some violence.

Dave & Rods Market Stall? All things to all men

Brian Walker and Me at the Piccadilly Club? Yeah, I got paid to burn it down. Bought records with the  money..

Carolines? OOOf! Some violence - thankfully none of it directed at me.

Any of this coming back?

Tony from SALFORD!! (Lots of violence)

link

Edited by McCadden
Social source share

Guest musicden786

Weed, David??

Violence, David??

Surely Not!.

If you still play out get yerself down to The Vic in Heywood on August 28th, Ricky Warburton will be playing some out for us and you can meet tha man behind the mask :D

Tony

link

Hello Tony.

Seen your posts before on this site. Been trying to place you for some time.

Think I know you now.

I was in the Navy in those days. Used to bring records into the country for one or two people. Always went to Rowntrees Spring Gardens when back on leave.

Do you remember a very good looking, young female DJ who started playing Northern in Manchester in the seventies? Took the music to a very fancy Night Club near Granada TV.

Let me know if this rings any bells.

I come from Radcliffe but live in the deep south now. Have been to Heywood Civic, and The Vic in the past.

Best. Denis.

Social source share

Hello Tony.

Seen your posts before on this site. Been trying to place you for some time.

Think I know you now.

I was in the Navy in those days. Used to bring records into the country for one or two people. Always went to Rowntrees Spring Gardens when back on leave.

Do you remember a very good looking, young female DJ who started playing Northern in Manchester in the seventies? Took the music to a very fancy Night Club near Granada TV.

Let me know if this rings any bells.

I come from Radcliffe but live in the deep south now.  Have been to Heywood Civic, and The Vic in the past.

Best. Denis.

Christ I'm getting on ya know, rings vague bells, but if you knew

Barry Big eyes

Jonah

Johnny Mac

Zan

Ted Batten

Mark Andrew

Pat Soy

etc you probably know me.

See ya Around

Tony

link

Social source share

I've been reading this thread with interest, first time I saw Carts and my first introduction to northern soul was at Sedgley Park rugby club, (Les Barry used to dj there on a Saturday night) I can remember Carts and Molly dancing to the Natural 4 "The Devil Made Me Do It".

I was told Carts was at the Longfield Suite Soul night a couple of months back.

Even though I am from Swinton I had a lot of friends in the Prestwich, Carr Clough area, Paul Hitchen, Neil Firth (see them both at Longfield from time to time) Willy Hunt (now has a shop on Saville Row) Alan Tonge, Baz Swift, Paul Williams.

Peter

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert