Purple Hearts - Hopes Dreams Tombstones

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I like it, had it for years, but surely it's not being auctioned as a soul or northern record is it, it's pure freakbeat/r&b and is obviously pisspoor compared to Jimmy Fraser. I think I've got a video of them doing this actually, might be wrong (not the clip above)

Social source share

Well here it is ... the amazing, brutal full length version of Jimmy Fraser's classic as done by Down Under's finest blue eyed RnB merchants the Purple Hearts ...

and currently being auctioned by Mr Manship ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X90lvy0clYQ

It must be fairly rare as John does have it on his auction however it is an awful version in my opinion, nothing whatsoever soulful about it but then Jimmy Fraziers/ YOPS version isn't soulful either, again just my opinion.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

I have had this on an acetate for about 6 years now, always clears the floor but play YOP/Jimmy F and folk dance !!! :g:

Ian.

I think it would empty a few Bowels as well :thumbsup:

:(

Social source share

Well here it is ... the amazing, brutal full length version of Jimmy Fraser's classic as done by Down Under's finest blue eyed RnB merchants the Purple Hearts ...

and currently being auctioned by Mr Manship ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X90lvy0clYQ

a mate of mine used to play this version for a couple of years. I like it from a freakbeat point of view. but as stated before Jimmy Fraser is much better...

Social source share

This 45 is really old news on the mod/garage scene, talking 10+ years easily since I used to play it out, just a little sad as the main force behind the music, Lobby Loyde, died only last year of lung cancer, am sure would have totally cracked him up to see one of his 45's being auctioned on a "rare soul" site, he was actually a seriously big influence on most Australian bands from 65 onwards, right up to Kurt Cobain of all people namechecking him as inspiration, if you like this version check him out on guitar on Billy Thorpe & Aztecs blinding version of Jimmy Holiday's "The New Breed" too - that's really mod, he also wrote all the Wild Cherries 60's stuff. Would love to know how they even got hold of a copy of OHD&T to cover in the first place all the way back then, especially as the band were from Brisbane, not even Sydney! No surprise if nothern purists here take umbrage at it but it's a damn fine little 45.

Social source share

Would love to know how they even got hold of a copy of OHD&T to cover in the first place all the way back then, especially as the band were from Brisbane, not even Sydney!

they covered Carol Fran's 'I'm Gonna Try' as well, another surprising choice...

Social source share

I collect Aussie released soul tracks, and have loads of cover versions from over there, of which a very small percentage are really any good to be honest, I'm pretty bored of collecting them now...!!

This version is a surf record really, its ok but I'd much rather have spanking Jackie day - Before its too late on Blue and white W&G...

Stick to the real deal kids!!! :lol:

Mal.C

Social source share

I collect Aussie released soul tracks, and have loads of cover versions from over there, of which a very small percentage are really any good to be honest, I'm pretty bored of collecting them now...!!

This version is a surf record really, its ok but I'd much rather have spanking Jackie day - Before its too late on Blue and white W&G...

Stick to the real deal kids!!! :lol:

Mal.C

Mal, Jackie Day W & G is blue and black, :g:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert