Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Before anyone starts - it was just a figure of speech. I have no interest in making a record unless it's off my boy singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

That's a public domain song so you wouldn't need to pay MCPS anyway.

And just pay your son a one-off session fee instead of royalties. He'll probably sign anything for 20p or a colouring book and some crayons.

wink.gif

Social source share

............and as long as I have a hole in my arse, they are not going to sell 1000 copies of Cafe Regios.

Wanna bet Pete? :lol:

Well if the record only had the Northern Scene as a potential market you'd be correct. However, a record like "Cafe Regio's" crosses a few different boundaries and will hopefully find audiences outside of Northern Soul - the European scene, the U.S. scene, the student scene, the 'oddball' records scene and the welter of clubs around the country which have more eclectic playlists - like the Hi-Fi Club in Leeds where I was the other week, where "Cafe Regio's" would blow the place up if they had it.

Also a substantial plank of our promotional plan is to target a number of key radio DJ's as this record fits into radio like a dream - in a way it's one of the ultimate feel-good radio records, so I don't think it's inconceivable that we may well get plays from the likes of Stuart Maconie, Mark Lamarr, Pete Mitchell on Radio Two, Craig Charles, Dave Pearce, Don Letts, Huey Morgan on Radio 6, Gary Crowley, Sean Rowley, Robert Elms and even Tony Blackburn on BBC London, Martin Collins and Andy Peebles on Smooth FM and maybe a couple of others here and there! I'm already being phoned up by a few people which is always a good sign. Plus some of the above are our mates so there's every chance we'll get some radio buzz going.

Aligned with that will be the fact that we will be targeting numerous key shops directly and that includes many which cater to different audiences on different scenes, plus , once again, we have good contacts in these areas.

Plus we have a natural PR story for the various magazines, i.e. heard record via Soul Source, two old soulboys obtain the rights from a controversial ex DJ and record producer and then release the record on 7" vinyl only on a label called Soul Intention - a label dedicated to keeping the vinyl 7" alive and kicking. A sexy little press angle IMO.

So the target is 1000 copies mate.

I'll rip a new hole in my own ass if we can't achieve that! :lol:

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

That's a public domain song so you wouldn't need to pay MCPS anyway.

And just pay your son a one-off session fee instead of royalties. He'll probably sign anything for 20p or a colouring book and some crayons.

:lol:

Mmmm. Now there's an angle......

Hey Pete! Fancy making a Jackson 5 rip-off with yer son mate? We'll make him a star! :lol:

Ian "Cigar-Smoking Megabucks Svengali" Dewhirst :lol:

Social source share

Wanna bet Pete? :lol:

Well if the record only had the Northern Scene as a potential market you'd be correct. However, a record like "Cafe Regio's" crosses a few different boundaries and will hopefully find audiences outside of Northern Soul - the European scene, the U.S. scene, the student scene, the 'oddball' records scene and the welter of clubs around the country which have more eclectic playlists - like the Hi-Fi Club in Leeds where I was the other week, where "Cafe Regio's" would blow the place up if they had it.

Also a substantial plank of our promotional plan is to target a number of key radio DJ's as this record fits into radio like a dream - in a way it's one of the ultimate feel-good radio records, so I don't think it's inconceivable that we may well get plays from the likes of Stuart Maconie, Mark Lamarr, Pete Mitchell on Radio Two, Craig Charles, Dave Pearce, Don Letts, Huey Morgan on Radio 6, Gary Crowley, Sean Rowley, Robert Elms and even Tony Blackburn on BBC London, Martin Collins and Andy Peebles on Smooth FM and maybe a couple of others here and there! I'm already being phoned up by a few people which is always a good sign. Plus some of the above are our mates so there's every chance we'll get some radio buzz going.

Aligned with that will be the fact that we will be targeting numerous key shops directly and that includes many which cater to different audiences on different scenes, plus , once again, we have good contacts in these areas.

Plus we have a natural PR story for the various magazines, i.e. heard record via Soul Source, two old soulboys obtain the rights from a controversial ex DJ and record producer and then release the record on 7" vinyl only on a label called Soul Intention - a label dedicated to keeping the vinyl 7" alive and kicking. A sexy little press angle IMO.

I'll rip a new hole in my own ass if we can't achieve that! :lol:

Me not thinking outside the box Ian.

Smacked wrists for me.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT.

Social source share

Me not thinking outside the box Ian.

Smacked wrists for me.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT.

Thanks mate. We'll be working the balls off it over the next few weeks so, touch wood, we'll hopefully get some action. We wouldn't have done it if we didn't think there was a potential audience out there.

It's always a 'balls on the table" scenario when you put a record out but I do have a gut feeling about this one. Slightly below the gut in fact!

And if you think about it, this scene has always been about small label owners putting their balls on the table and selling 6 copies! In fact, the Northern Soul scene wouldn't exist without a long trail of schmucks like us putting records out which fail miserably at the time. :lol:

Hopefully we'll sell a few and get on to the next release. How's that for optimism when the world's falling apart and vinyl sales are at their lowest LOL?

And, Pete, let me tell ya, the expression "thinking outside the box" is sooooooo last year dear! :lol:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Me not thinking outside the box Ian...

Sorry Pete, I honestly didn't realise you were living in a box.

It just goes to show how bad this economic crisis really is.

And I hope it's a nice warm box because winter is approaching.

Social source share

Before anyone starts - it was just a figure of speech. I have no interest in making a record unless it's off my boy singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

Wasn't that by The Parisians ?????

Social source share

Wanna bet Pete? :thumbsup:

I'll rip a new hole in my own ass if we can't achieve that!

You're getting me excited now.

Social source share

We're not just testing the water, the discs are in production at the factory right now. Money has been spent and will continue to be spent.

This is just the first release of a number we've committed to do. Sparked initially by my and Ian D's enthusiasm for Cafe Regio's, yes. But is now a bonafide vinyl-only record label project

There are initially 12 45's to be released at a rate of one about every 4 to 6 weeks, and we'll see after that.

12? As in number of disciples?

How spooky is that? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Don't get me wrong - of course I hope it does tremendously well for you, like you say, fingers crossed. I just wasn't sure about the reaction on here because even if people didn't like it, I doubt they would say so! How things change in a matter of weeks :thumbsup:

Well I'll say so: I don't like it.

How's that?

Social source share

Well I'll say so: I don't like it.

How's that?

Judging by all the sarcy comments you've posted on here over the last two months, I'd be far far far more worried if you DID.

Social source share

Well our friend in Wales must be a millionaire by now, even more new titles coming out by the looks of it

I thought all that had been shut down and stopped forever.

Social source share

Yeh, something called Cafe Regio's !!

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh you're SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny.

Social source share

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh you're SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny.

:shades:

Erm, hang on a minute Ian. I thought this thread was meant to be about you?

"Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons - Part Two, Continuing on from the Sixty Pages in Part One" Is this not the title of your thread? Now I'm confused.

I think the new part of the thread about Ian Dewhirst & the Cafe Regio thing is very interesting, unlike some of Paul Mooneys arrogant (but let me just get my name on this thread one more time) posts. But now the thread has got me completely confused. Is the Cafe Regio your thing or the other Ians, ah hang on, or are you becoming one & the same? Kind of, one big Ian....& a Paul Mooney?

Now I dont know what to buy, I have just enough for your dvd unsure.gif but now I want a Cafe Regio :no:

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, decisions, decisions.

Yours,

A very worried & confused pottsy.

Social source share

I think the new part of the thread about Ian Dewhirst & the Cafe Regio thing is very interesting, unlike some of Paul Mooneys arrogant (but let me just get my name on this thread one more time) posts. But now the thread has got me completely confused. Is the Cafe Regio your thing or the other Ians, ah hang on, or are you becoming one & the same? Kind of, one big Ian....& a Paul Mooney?

I produced Cafe Reggio's in 1998 as a featured song for The Strange World Of Northern Soul, and in memory of Les Cokell, who adored the original Miami Radio recording of it.

It was on the free giveaway CD with the first VHS copies, in July 1999.

It was then officially released on the album "You Didn't Say A Word" in 2000.

In 2008, Ian Dewhirst and Phil Dick requested permission to release this production of mine on a seven inch single.

Social source share

unlike some of Paul Mooneys arrogant (but let me just get my name on this thread one more time) posts.

I'm sorry but I think Paul Mooney is an excellent person, very respected, very knowledgeable, and very fair and unbiased.

I have always thought of him as one of the best guys on the scene, and have unlimited and infinite respect and admiration for him.

As such, I find it painful to see him so unfairly criticised for no reason whatsoever. It's a bit like taking pot shots at Richard Searling.

Social source share

I produced Cafe Reggio's in 1998 as a featured song for The Strange World Of Northern Soul, and in memory of Les Cokell, who adored the original Miami Radio recording of it.

It was on the free giveaway CD with the first VHS copies, in July 1999.

It was then officially released on the album "You Didn't Say A Word" in 2000.

In 2008, Ian Dewhirst and Phil Dick requested permission to release this production of mine on a seven inch single.

Ah gotcha Ian, thanks. I'll buy a copy of the 45 then, & put the copy of the dvd on hold for now. Would like both, but finances are a bit slim at the moment sad.gif

Regards,

pottsy

Social source share

I'm sorry but I think Paul Mooney is an excellent person, very respected, very knowledgeable, and very fair and unbiased.

I have always thought of him as one of the best guys on the scene, and have unlimited and infinite respect and admiration for him.

As such, I find it painful to see him so unfairly criticised for no reason whatsoever. It's a bit like taking pot shots at Richard Searling.

I don't know Paul, I can only go by what I read on here :

"Sorry Pete, I honestly didn't realise you were living in a box.

It just goes to show how bad this economic crisis really is.

And I hope it's a nice warm box because winter is approaching"

Also, please don't post up someone elses name (that I do know) that has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

pottsy

Social source share

Where are mine ???????

Don't worry. I just rejected 'em. Volume dips happening and muffled in places. Investigating now.

See? It's not all glam is it? What sounded absolutely exceptional on the lacquer hasn't translated to the 7" vinyl for some reason. It could be the galvanics, faulty metalwork or something else. Mind you, that's the whole point of test-pressings! Good job we do these things......

I will of course, keep a one-off test-pressing, destroy the other 9 and then whack it on E-Bay as the only copy in the world of Gary The Master Blaster's first ever test-pressing and a complete one-off! laugh.gif

Ian D :shades:

Social source share

Ah gotcha Ian, thanks. I'll buy a copy of the 45 then, & put the copy of the dvd on hold for now. Would like both, but finances are a bit slim at the moment

Regards,

pottsy

No, the DVD is more important than anything.

200 performances by almost all the classic Northern Soul legends. How could you not make it your ultimate priority ???

Just watch this again...

">
Social source share

Don't worry. I just rejected 'em. Volume dips happening and muffled in places. Investigating now.

See? It's not all glam is it? What sounded absolutely exceptional on the lacquer hasn't translated to the 7" vinyl for some reason. It could be the galvanics, faulty metalwork or something else. Mind you, that's the whole point of test-pressings! Good job we do these things......

I will of course, keep a one-off test-pressing, destroy the other 9 and then whack it on E-Bay as the only copy in the world of Gary The Master Blaster's first ever test-pressing and a complete one-off! laugh.gif

That's what happened with Noel McKoy's "Determined Man".

All the first test pressings were disgusting.

Social source share

No, the DVD is more important than anything.

200 performances by almost all the classic Northern Soul legends. How could you not make it your ultimate priority ???

Just watch this again...

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

That's what happened with Noel McKoy's "Determined Man".

All the first test pressings were disgusting.

Yep, all being analysed right now. The art of pressing records properly is being lost it seems. I've heard more duff TP's in the last few years than anytime before. I reckon it's because the equipment's aging badly and with the decline of vinyl, the machines aren't being maintained properly to save costs. Either that, or they have some work experience dimwit mixing the chemicals.............

Ho hum. This is the bit that people don't see! That's two visits to Luton in 5 days and we're still not sorted! Good idea this record company lark LOL.....

Social source share

Yep, all being analysed right now. The art of pressing records properly is being lost it seems. I've heard more duff TP's in the last few years than anytime before. I reckon it's because the equipment's aging badly and with the decline of vinyl, the machines aren't being maintained properly to save costs. Either that, or they have some work experience dimwit mixing the chemicals.............

Ho hum. This is the bit that people don't see! That's two visits to Luton in 5 days and we're still not sorted! Good idea this record company lark LOL.....

Ian D :D

It's a knackered stamper by the looks of it! The surface of the TP is covered with mountain ridges throughout the surface when you hold it up to the light. Hmmmpphhhh! :lol:

Ian D :D

Social source share

Kev has such a good 'selling' voice, he sounds so sincere, a bit desperate...but sincere biggrin.gif bet he could sell pegs to the pikeys.

So, are you saying go for the dvd Ian, leave the Cafe Reggaeio for another time?

This dvd, is it only music? all the way through? or does it have a bit of a story line to it? Not like an adventure story, more of a plot, with the odd explosion perhaps?

pottsy

It's just the songs.

200 of them.

About half were in SWONS but have all been remade and re-edited and all are much improved.

There are loads that were not in SWONS, like Dean Parrish, Alexander Patton, etc etc

Social source share

That Sandi Sheldon record we did, "One Minute Too Late", the one Steve Ripley organised offical permission to use the Okeh label, was one of the worst pressings I ever heard. It crackled and hissed, and the factory refused to repress, blaming it on the lacquers, which were cut by a brilliant engineer, and were most definitely not faulty. But we never did get it repressed which was a shame and the record never sounded like it should have. That old factory in Park Royal was grimy and filthy and awful and the machines were antiquated and gross, and they ended up getting shut down by health and safety, but at least they were relatively cheap to use - it was where all the cheap reggae 45s got done. But all long gone and long since closed down.

Social source share

Can you get Weinerworld to give you, say 10 competition copies of the DVD

Yes Ian, and Soul Sam will spend a whole night playing Ian Levine productions and nothing else.

Social source share

Hi Ian,

With reference to another thread, was New York Port Authority - I Got It played at the Mecca?

Many thanks,

Yes. Colin Curtis played it regularly. But not me.

Social source share

Hello Ian,

The best plant in the UK (or even the world) is Portalspace which is in the old EMI factory in Hayes. They carefully restored all of the old custom-made EMI presses (the "Rolls Royces" of the pressing industry) and have excellent quality control. They are staffed by veterans of the business including Roy Matthews (ex-EMI) and Keith McGregor who has run many plants, including Damont in their better days.

And they use excellent cutting rooms, one of which is EMI Abbey Road.

I never use anyone else and I'll be happy to give you an introduction.

Paul

Social source share

Hello Ian,

The best plant in the UK (or even the world) is Portalspace which is in the old EMI factory in Hayes. They carefully restored all of the old custom-made EMI presses (the "Rolls Royces" of the pressing industry) and have excellent quality control. They are staffed by veterans of the business including Roy Matthews (ex-EMI) and Keith McGregor who has run many plants, including Damont in their better days.

And they use excellent cutting rooms, one of which is EMI Abbey Road.

I never use anyone else and I'll be happy to give you an introduction.

Paul

Cheers Paul.

Yep, I've used 'em before and I know the EMI factory well but do they do U.S. 45's, can they work quickly and are they competitive price-wise are the key questions Paul?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Cheers Paul.

Yep, I've used 'em before and I know the EMI factory well but do they do U.S. 45's, can they work quickly and are they competitive price-wise are the key questions Paul?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Hello Ian,

Yes they can "dink" UK 45s (for an extra 3p per unit) and they can work as fast as any other plant but it all depends upon capacity at any given time of course. Their prices are similar to others. In fact, many other plants and brokers (such as Total Vinyl etc) actually get their records pressed at Portalspace.

I've never had a problem with them ...or with Keith when he ran other plants for that matter.

If you're having problems, and if you're sure your lacquers are good, you should consider getting the processing and pressing done at Portalspace.

But the real advantage is also letting them arrange your lacquer cutting. Portalspace MD Roy Matthews used to run EMI Abbey Road so he has an excellent relationship with them.

These days I never have to waste time and money attending cutting sessons or visiting pressing plants because I always get good results from these guys. I do my own digital mastering and the 45s sound exactly like the WAV files.

Paul

Social source share

Hello Ian,

Yes they can "dink" UK 45s (for an extra 3p per unit) and they can work as fast as any other plant but it all depends upon capacity at any given time of course. Their prices are similar to others. In fact, many other plants and brokers (such as Total Vinyl etc) actually get their records pressed at Portalspace.

I've never had a problem with them ...or with Keith when he ran other plants for that matter.

If you're having problems, and if you're sure your lacquers are good, you should consider getting the processing and pressing done at Portalspace.

But the real advantage is also letting them arrange your lacquer cutting. Portalspace MD Roy Matthews used to run EMI Abbey Road so he has an excellent relationship with them.

These days I never have to waste time and money attending cutting sessons or visiting pressing plants because I always get good results from these guys. I do my own digital mastering and the 45s sound exactly like the WAV files.

Paul

Well I may well buzz you tomorrow if we don't get some satisafctory answers from the guys we're using!

Good job we didn't go ahead on the pressing, that's for sure!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Hello Ian,

Paul

The problem is that quality costs more money.

I bet they can't match Smiffy's quote.

I used to cut corners on the pressing cost, purely out of necessity, and ended up with Herman Griffin and Sandi Sheldon sevens that were totally substandard.

Social source share

Just located these 12" in the loft - anyone interested - all in Mint unplayed condition...

Barbara Pennington - Running In another Direction - United Artists Die Cut Disco Special Sleeve

Bettye Lavette - Surrender - Motorcity MOTC 39 P/S

G. C. Cameron - Good Times Up Ahead - Motorcity MOTC 46 P/S

Johnny Bristol - Keep This Thought In Mind - Motorcity MOTC 47 P/S

Marv Johnson - Come To Me (Deep House Mix - what were they thinking?) - Motorcity MOTC 50 P/S

Susaye Greene - Stop I Need You Now - Motorcity MOTC 66 P/S

Billy Griffin - Technicolour - Motorcity White Label MOTC 72 plain die cut sleeve

Interesting trades accepted.

Social source share

Paul,

For an intelligent fella, you don't half talk some bollox at times :lol:

Hello Pottsy,

It's interesting that you've assumed I'm intelligent but you haven't assumed that I might have a sense of humour. What if it's the other way around?

It was a friendly joke, as clearly indicated by the :lol: icon. And I thought it was topical because we've been discussing the economy crisis on here a lot lately.

How could it offend you?

Paul

Social source share

Erm, hang on a minute Ian. I thought this thread was meant to be about you?

"Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons - Part Two, Continuing on from the Sixty Pages in Part One" Is this not the title of your thread? Now I'm confused.

Now I dont know what to buy, I have just enough for your dvd :lol: but now I want a Cafe Regio :lol:

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, decisions, decisions.

Yours,

A very worried & confused pottsy.

What's this about???

If you don't find my postings interesting, Pottsy, then don't read them.

There are many postings on soulsource that I don't find particularly interesting but I respect the possibility that others do.

So don't call me arrogant and leave the personal attacks out.

Paul

Social source share

Hello Ian,

The best plant in the UK (or even the world) is Portalspace which is in the old EMI factory in Hayes.

Paul

I know that place used to live quite near it when I were a kid. Always was in awe of those big "EMI" letters on the side of the building, glad they've been able to do something with the stuff :thumbsup:

Edited by Chris L
Social source share