Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Guest lifeandsoul

He had something to do with Basement Jaxx in the past.
From The Guardian back in August

"background: Anthoney Wright, who sang on the 2003 Basement Jaxx album Kish Kash, may have a quirkily spelled name but there's nothing very quirky about his music - he's one of the new unreconstructed Britsoul boys, one of the current male ripostes to the Amy/Duffy/Adele retro-soul hegemony, only way more trad and in hock to the original 60s and 70s American soul masters than David Jordan, Leon Jean Marie or Sam Sparro, who offer a comparatively modern, electronic take on R&B. Even more than Bryn Christopher, his closest rival in the authentic soul-man stakes, whose album incorporates samples of old records, Wright applies his gritty rasp, all manly gospel fervour, to faithful recreations of those classic Stax and Motown rhythms by actual living, breathing contemporary session musicians. Is that Steve Cropper on guitar? Could be. Put it this way: if you had the radio on in the background and Wright's forthcoming single Reset to Zero came on - and, if you listen to Radio 2, this is not unlikely as it was a recent Record of the Week - you could be forgiven for assuming it was a cover of a Sam & Dave or Temptations tune. Yes, it's that good. Pointless, perhaps (see also: Jamie Lidell), unoriginal certainly, but as expert facsimiles of a tried-and-tested sound go, it's unimpeachable.

We've been here before, of course, with Terence Trent D'Arby in the 80s and Don E and Sydney Youngblood in the 90s. Only now the time couldn't be more right - or Wright - with the nation going gaga for young men and women testifying over reproductions of Detroit and Memphis soul. Of course, that could be a problem for Wright even if he does have a hit with Reset to Zero: he might just be one nu-soul singer too many. What else does he have to offer beyond the inevitable Great Voice? Well, he's got the backstory of a penitent sinner, one worthy of Al Green himself. Having grown up in Nottingham with his Jamaican soul, calypso, ska and rock-playing radio DJ grandfather and strict Baptist grandmother, Wright moved to London where he proceeded to cane it with the best of them. But after one heavy weekend in 2004, he woke up and saw the light - he slept with his bedside lamp on - and realised his lifestyle was becoming increasingly shallow. "There must be more to life than this," he said. "I've had my fun. Now I want to spend the rest of my days wagging my finger and tutting at young people." That morning, as though by divine intervention, a friend telephoned and told him about The Monastery, a BBC TV show that was looking for five people to spend six weeks in Worth Abbey. Less than a week later, Wright walked into The Monastery and had a life-changing experience. Today, he's a Buddhist, still living in London but instead of profligacy and indulgence, his watchwords are discipline, reflection, accountability and life appreciation. What a bore. He even supports the Tibetan charity Rokpa. We're sure it's a great charity. We're just not sure what it's got to do with rock'n'roll.

The buzz: "He's got the voice of an angel. A gruff-voiced angel, but an angel nonetheless."

The truth: It's all a bit Stars in Their Eyes: "Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to have someone from the audience pour hot grits on my back, after which I'm going to screech like a repentant zealot."

Most likely to: Live in an Abbey.

Least likely to: Go out with Abi Titmuss.

What to buy: Reset to Zero is released on September 22 by De Angelis.

File next to: Bryn Christopher, David Jordan, the Temptations, Marvin Gaye.

Links: www.myspace.com/anthoneywright"

Social source share

I just stumbled across this purely by accident.

Now THIS is what DJs should be playing if they have an open mind. My GOD, this is mindblowing. The best new record of someone else's that I have heard for years. It put all the Sharon Jones stuff in the shade. STUNNING AND AWESOME.

I know nothing about this record. Can someone please please fill me in on who is behind it, PLEASE.

BEST NEW RECORD (THAT I DIDN'T PRODUCE) FOR TEN YEARS (That's not meant to sound arrogant, it's just that for obvious reasons, I do like my stuff). But THIS gives me goosebumps.

Oh my God. Ian, you are not going to believe this but it was in fact ME who started a thread on Soul Source about this tune the first time I ever heard it which is about a month back now and I think I actually said that you could write down on a postage stamp what I know about nu-soul music but this is just brilliant.

Me - yes me, the anti-Christ of modern soul

Social source share

Oh my God. Ian, you are not going to believe this but it was in fact ME who started a thread on Soul Source about this tune the first time I ever heard it which is about a month back now and I think I actually said that you could write down on a postage stamp what I know about nu-soul music but this is just brilliant.

You're a good turn you two - but you're on too long :D

Social source share

Put it this way: if you had the radio on in the background and Wright's forthcoming single Reset to Zero came on - and, if you listen to Radio 2, this is not unlikely as it was a recent Record of the Week - you could be forgiven for assuming it was a cover of a Sam & Dave or Temptations tune. Yes, it's that good.

The point about this record, which is where Raphael Saadiq has gone so horribly wrong, is that it actually has a SONG.

You know what a song is....

Three minutes with a verse, a bridge, and a chorus, where the chords actually MOVE and CHANGE.

Something America seems incapable of creating.

But this one sure did.

Social source share

Because it IS brilliant, Smiffy.

It sounds like a REAL record with a REAL song, something I try to achieve myself. I welcome anyone else who does it PROPERLY, not amateurs who haven't a clue what a song is.

Social source share

Because it IS brilliant, Smiffy.

It sounds like a REAL record with a REAL song, something I try to achieve myself. I welcome anyone else who does it PROPERLY, not amateurs who haven't a clue what a song is.

Good. I like it when you occasionally rave about other records. It makes you seem humble, cuddly and somehow more human...... :thumbsup:

Just seen the label scans for Gary The Master Blaster and they're rockin'!

Ian D :unsure:

Social source share

Good. So it's not just me then Malc? I like that photo when he came back from the States looking like John Travolta LOL......

What about this photo, taken in November 2002 ??

The scary and frightening thing is that this photo is ONLY FIVE YEARS AND TEN MONTHS OLD.

How did I put all the weight back on after I lost it all ?? I hate myself sometimes.

post-13099-1222188488_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Ian, seeing as you don't have any aversions against stuff like Maroon 5 etc., have you heard Jamie Lidell's "Another Day" from a couple of months ago? It has got a pretty hideous promo video (try to ignore it), but there's a decent tune in there in my opinion:

Meh.

It's okay but nothing to get excited about. Not like that "Reset To Zero" song.

Or this...

Social source share

The scary and frightening thing is that this photo is ONLY FIVE YEARS AND TEN MONTHS OLD.

How did I put all the weight back on after I lost it all ?? I hate myself sometimes.

Regarding the photograph - Are they wings behind you Ian ? if they are , they will compliment that cherubic smile we know you have ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

I think Luther Vandross had the same zig-zag weight problem didn't he?

It's an occupational habit when one likes food so much! Mind you, we've all got crosses to bear one way or another, so I wouldn't dwell on it. :thumbsup:

Have you heard the Robin Thicke record by the way? Here's a sneak preview........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feKSDMZVH_w

Ian D :unsure:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Regarding the photograph - Are they wings behind you Ian ? if they are , they will compliment that cherubic smile we know you have ........

Malc Burton

They're the twin Cassini Globes on two stands. One denotes the Earth, the second the Constellations.

Social source share

I think Luther Vandross had the same zig-zag weight problem didn't he?

Not a great comparison to make, please, considering he died of a stroke. Lets forget you brought it up.

Social source share

Ian, seeing as you don't have any aversions against stuff like Maroon 5 etc., have you heard Jamie Lidell's "Another Day" from a couple of months ago? It has got a pretty hideous promo video (try to ignore it), but there's a decent tune in there in my opinion:

I like the backing track....

P smile.gif

Social source share

Have you heard the Robin Thicke record by the way? Here's a sneak preview........

Ohhh I've just clicked who he is.

He's that amzing white boy who guested on the American Idol final, last May.

He blew me away but I hadn't a clue who he was, but what a bloody talent.

Social source share

It's an occupational habit when one likes food so much!

I really do.

And certainly more than Margaret Little or Arthur Willis and the Soulful Dynamics.

Let me see - a dinner at Le Suquet with oysters in champagne sauce, and scallops in saffron, or a night spent listening to Soul Sam DJing.

Hmmm

How can I choose..... laugh.gif

Social source share

If you want / need just ONE reason for buying " DFTMC " , that reason is Earl Van Dyke and " 6 x 6 " ........

Malc Burton

And loads of other class acts ..Buy it, its history..

P smile.gif

Very nice too are ( from NS 2008):

Shenton Dixon - I'll Move A Mountain

Angelo Starr - Don't Leave Me Stranded

Social source share

And loads of other class acts ..Buy it, its history..

Very nice too are ( from NS 2008):

Shenton Dixon - I'll Move A Mountain

I think we should show them this, Pauline.

Social source share

Ian.

Could I ask a question, with the greatest respect that is, I'm in no way taking the piss here - I can be read two ways at times.

I'm not buttering your arse here as I have always accepted your position as regards where I, and every fecker else here stands, thanks to the polarised effort you put into the discovery of new tracks bitd.

Yes, I have sat and listened to conversations over the years where you and your input have been berated - these were generally conversations made by weekend Soulies, given - and to temper this post somewhat may I add that there have been moments in your production career that I too have questioned - but who am I and who where the weekend Soulies?

You have made a difference one way or the other, no argument.

Anyway, now I've laid myself open to possible negativity, given the fact that you have been to some extent exiled from the 'street level' NS scene - are you fuelled by a need to be accepted on this scene?

I think I know the answer but it would be good to see your views on paper as it were.

Has the way your name has generally been bandied about on this scene took it's toll?

Again, I think I know the answer.

I do find it amusing that certain productions of yours have come to the fore after the expected baptism of fire.

Again, how much of what you do is influenced by todays NS scene (a very different one to the one that originally bore the name)?

It strikes me that you aren't that arsed by the negativity, as you have always had your finger in somewhere along the line - but - is any of it these days down to acceptance, or just the love?

I'm pissed by the way but the above was made in the utmost sincerity.

Social source share

Again, how much of what you do is influenced by todays NS scene (a very different one to the one that originally bore the name)?

None.

I make the music that I wanna make.

I ignore the people who hate my stuff and have no interest in really even discussing stuff with them.

But there are loads of wonderful people on here like Pauline and Malc Burton and Soul-Ster and Jayne and lots of others, who are taking a genuine and sincere interest, and they're the reason I do this.

Social source share

None.

I make the music that I wanna make.

I ignore the people who hate my stuff and have no interest in really even discussing stuff with them.

But there are loads of wonderful people on here like Pauline and Malc Burton and Soul-Ster and Jayne and lots of others, who are taking a genuine and sincere interest, and they're the reason I do this.

On reflection I was building myself up for a fall with such a lengthy post you, as I should have expected, answered it in two sentences.

I'll not stick me oar into this thread again.

ta.

Social source share

And now here's the website up and live - https://www.soul-intention.co.uk

Pre-order your copy online now.

Currently not available anywhere else.

Phil

Will pose the same question as posed on "Previously Unissued Material" thread as copied below....

Here's one ....

For the first time ever on a fully legit vinyl 45 - Gary The Master Blaster - Cafe Regio's / Inst - Soul Intention Records SI001

To be released on October 13th 2008. Pre-order online at https://www.soul-intention.co.uk

Cheers

Phil

Posting on the two threads it's promoted on may get an answer regarding the "originality" of the chosen design :shades: ....

The label looks stunning.

Yes but, no but, yes but see above.... very Parkway(esque) don't you think ph34r.gif ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Will pose the same question as posed on "Previously Unissued Material" thread as copied below....

Posting on the two threads it's promoted on may get an answer regarding the "originality" of the chosen design :thumbsup: ....

Yes but, no but, yes but see above.... very Parkway(esque) don't you think :thumbup: ....

Sorry for the delay in answering. Only just got back online.

The label is very reminiscent of Parkway, yes.

The answer to your questions is utterly simple. This is 100% legal in every single way, everything is fully licensed. EVERYONE is getting paid, right down to Isaac Hayes estate (via MCPS).

Phil

Social source share

Posting on the two threads it's promoted on may get an answer regarding the "originality" of the chosen design

Yes but, no but, yes but see above.... very Parkway(esque) don't you think

Firstly the design has nothing to do with me.

I was merely commenting that I liked it. I see it as a kind of Sixties homage.

As for Cameo and Parkway, they're owned by Alan Klein, a man with, shall we say, a not so nice reputation. All the artists have been trying to get a class action against him for years because he won't do deals and won't release the old stuff and does the artists out of millions of pounds of royalties that they might have earned if their old product had been owned by a more co-operative person, especially so I'm told for Chubby Checker, The Orlons, Bobby Rydell, Len Barry etc etc, all of whom hate him like he was the AntiChrist.

Social source share

On reflection I was building myself up for a fall with such a lengthy post you, as I should have expected, answered it in two sentences.

I'll not stick me oar into this thread again.

ta.

Why ??

I answered you pleasantly, politely, and concisely.

Social source share

If it's anything like your integrity with the Four Vandals release then it's absolutely zero.... but then again dissapearing for a bit and then returning to proclaim to be "born again" with christianity gets you off everytime doesn't it

Ohhhh I see we have another troll trying to challenge me, this time through Phil Dick. And stooping so low as to question his religion too.

Look here sunshine, if you think you can make some sort of name for yourself with this type of sad and pathetic bullshit, better men than you have tried.

I would do The Four Vandals again ten times over to prove a point to troublemakers like you.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Sorry for the delay in answering. Only just got back online.

The label is very reminiscent of Parkway, yes.

The answer to your questions is utterly simple. This is 100% legal in every single way, everything is fully licensed. EVERYONE is getting paid, right down to Isaac Hayes estate (via MCPS).

Phil

As it happens, all I see is the Parkway colour scheme, not the design. It's like that Anthoney Wright video, borrowing all its images off old 1960s record sleeves. As long as the actual design isn't a copy, I see no harm in an affectionate homage using colours to suggest something. Lots of people have done it over many many years, like Booker T and the MGs copying the Beatles Abbey Road album cover.

Social source share

As for Cameo and Parkway, they're owned by Alan Klein, a man with, shall we say, a not so nice reputation. All the artists have been trying to get a class action against him for years because he won't do deals and won't release the old stuff and does the artists out of millions of pounds of royalties that they might have earned if their old product had been owned by a more co-operative person, especially so I'm told for Chubby Checker, The Orlons, Bobby Rydell, Len Barry etc etc, all of whom hate him like he was the AntiChrist.

This was true for a very long time. But during the past couple of years, several single-artist CDs (Dee Dee Sharp, Bobby Rydell, Orlons, Chubby Checker, Tymes, Dovells, Question Mark & the Mysterians etc.) and a 4-CD Cameo/Parkway box-set has been issued legitimately by ABKCO. A lot of the more obscure stuff is still to be reissued on CD though.

More info:

https://www.cameoparkway.com/

Social source share

A special Soul Source exclusive.

The first peek at the artwork for Wienerworld's ad for "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers"

A little understated for my taste :thumbsup:

Social source share

Posting on the two threads it's promoted on may get an answer regarding the "originality" of the chosen design :rolleyes: ....

Yes but, no but, yes but see above.... very Parkway(esque) don't you think :no: ....

Do you prefer this label design then?

It's only on a few promo's though, so you won't likely to be able to get one. But some folks on here will.

Phil

post-3217-1222257513_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Do you prefer this label design then?

It's only on a few promo's though, so you won't likely to be able to get one. But some folks on here will.

Phil

I love the design. It's what's known as a pastiche in some circles. I've seen a zillion pastiches of the Deram, Brunswick, Blue Note, Capital and even Motown labels over the last few years, so a nice little homage to a great label IMO. In fact it would be really odd if we DIDN'T do some kind of retro link with a record of this nature.

I'm getting more of buzz from this little 7" single then I've had with anything else just lately! We want to get the bugger out there which is why we're working around the clock to turn it around as I'm already fielding calls from a variety of different sources who have discovered the record, just as we did! Some of the calls indicate that this record will find favour outside of just Northern Soul circles which is interesting.

At the end of the day it's just a great rekid! Plus we're doing what it says on the tin IMO. Here's the Press Release and I'm quoting verbatim:-

PRESS RELEASE

"In Autumn 2008 a bizarre series of events took place which led to the formation of Soul- Intention Records.

Ian Dewhirst and Phil Dick were two veteran Northern Soul DJ's and fans from the early 1970's and were both spending a bit of time perusing the popular Northern Soul website, Soul Source (www.soul-source.co.uk) when they both stumbled into a huge thread on the forum which was discussing another veteran DJ's contribution to Northern Soul, Ian Levine.

In the course of the thread, a record called "Caf Regio's" by Gary The Master Blaster was discussed which has only ever been available on a long-deleted CD from 2000, so Dewhirst checked his CD collection, found the CD and played the track and was immediately blown away by the quality and ethos of the recording.

Meanwhile, 200 miles away, in Leeds, Yorkshire, Phil Dick was re-discovering the track himself and coming to the same conclusions.

Gary The Master Blaster was the legendary radio D.J. from Miami radio station WCKO who established a huge local audience as a result of his organic early radio 'raps' which were typical of the personality DJ's on U.S. black music stations in the early 1970's. Luckily, Ian Levine had some 40 hours worth of Gary The Master Blaster's original radio shows which he had recorded onto cassette at the time. One of the most evocative raps from Gary was over Isaac Hayes' "Caf Regio's" - the 'B' side to the multi-million selling "Theme From Shaft".

So in 1999, Levine re-discovered the Gary The Master Blaster cassettes and re-made "Caf Regio's" skilfully cutting in the original vocals from the cassettes in the process making a brand new record, which itself was a tribute to the skills of this extraordinary DJ from some 30 years previously.

Dewhirst then posted the track up as a downloadable file on Soul Source where it gathered a staggering 500 downloads in just 7 days. Following Dewhirst's suggestion that Levine should re-issue the track, Levine threw the ball back into Dewhirst's court by suggesting that he would allow Dewhirst to re-issue it but only if the record would be issued on 7" vinyl with the straight instrumental on the 'B' side.

At this point, Phil Dick contacted Dewhirst and offered his assistance if required. Within the space of a few minutes it was jointly decided between the two veterans that a new record label should be formed which propagated the ethos of Soul Music on the 7" vinyl format and thus the name Soul-Intention was created.

Soul-Intention Records will be issuing a number of 7" vinyl only releases throughout the future with the first release being "Caf Regio's" - Gary The Master Blaster/"Caf Regio's" Inst - The Master Blaster Band.

The record will be pressed a limited-edition U.S. 7" pressing of 1000 records only on the Soul-Intention label and will be released on Monday 13th October 2008".

I mean that's how this whole thing happened and it's right here on this thread!

Plus what I love about this whole thing is that it's going right back to what the independent music biz USED to be like, i.e. guy hears rekid, likes rekid, makes offer and puts it out. It's been done a zillion times before but doing it again in 2008 when the traditional music biz is on it's arse seems like a statement of intent, which is really what it is.

Sometimes real life is stranger than fiction! :rolleyes:

Ian D :no:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Plus what I love about this whole thing is that it's going right back to what the independent music biz USED to be like, i.e. guy hears rekid, likes rekid, makes offer and puts it out. It's been done a zillion times before but doing it again in 2008 when the traditional music biz is on it's arse seems like a statement of intent, which is really what it is.

It's such a joy, and it's reinvented my faith that people will give a record a chance without a major label having to spend a million quid on it.

Social source share

Best of luck with this.

After living with the spoken version for so long I'm really looking forward to hearing the instrumental track. As I've said before, it's one of Ian and Clive's best productions in my opinion.

Personally, I don't like the label design but that's a subjective thing and I really don't think it matters very much.

I hope it does well.

Paul

Social source share