Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

ok ian levine dosnt do northern soul then check out jennifer dee no more water in the well if this isnt on 45 then it should be just gets better and better what a voice

She's from Milwaukee.

"> Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Love the Jerry Williams..!

I got a new job today so I may just order the dvd

I hope this one and only time, that every single person who loves Northern Soul will all go out en masse and buy this one thing, just this one time.

Because if we all love Northern Soul, then shouldn't we, this once, all want to own one perfect set of DVDs of Frank Wilson, Dobie Gray, Bob Relf, Leon Haywood, Doris Troy, P.P. Arnold, Tobi Legend, Dean Parrish, Mel Britt, The Blossoms, The Dells, Jackie Ross, Mary Love, Bobby Hebb, Eddie Parker, Irma Thomas, Erma Franklin, Tommy Hunt, Alfie Davison, The Artistics, The Dynamics, Richard "Popcorn" Wylie, Maxine Brown, The Carstairs, Edwin Starr, Sam Dees, Alexander Patton, Gwen Owens, Bobby Paris, Robert Knight, Bunny Sigler, J.J. Barnes, Ray Pollard, The Montclairs, Kim Weston Barbara Lynn, Barbara Lewis, The Tymes, Dee Dee Sharp, Carl Carlton, Clifford Curry, Lou Johnson, Garland Green, Willie Hutch.

Just this once I still naively hope we can all put aside our differences and acccept this one event, which has taken years to make and cost so much to film, and then to fix and re-edit and improve, that it can never make a profit, but is simply a labour of love that had to be made just one time in our lives.

I still live in hope.

Social source share

I like the new pastiche designs, I've done a few for Expansion over the years and I think the idea of doing them should be looked on as complimentary, rather than looked on as something derogatory.

Got to agree on the typeface issue though (being a typographer I would do!), the choice of font can be all-important to the genuine look of these labels.

Roger

And you'll be pleased to know we took note of yours and Paul's comments on the font and we've now ammended the ridiculously modern font to something far more authentic by all accounts. Apparently it now looks great font-wise so will post when I get it.

Thanks to all for comments!

This is a very organic release which has happened 100% naturally through Soul Source on this very thread, so it'd be great to get it right LOL!

Ian D :P

Social source share

And you'll be pleased to know we took note of yours and Paul's comments on the font and we've now ammended the ridiculously modern font to something far more authentic by all accounts.

Oh I am so glad to hear that.

Social source share

Oh I am so glad to hear that.

Me too! I saw Phil earlier tonight @ Keb's gig in Fulham and he said we should be most grateful to Mr Mooney who stepped in like a champ with almost frightening font-expertise! So many thanks to Paul. This is turning into a real community record and it's very refreshing. Reminds me why I got into the business in the first place! :P

Will be round @ 12.00 tomorrow to pick up the masters, then mastering @ 2.00pm, so all happening at pace!

And, hey, even if capitalism crashes tomorrow, we can swap 'em for FOOD!

All good.

Ian D :wicked:

Social source share

When Ian Dewhirst watched through the five discs of the "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers", he had never even heard of this wonderful Blackpool Mecca classic, a record which, I notice, Smiffy has for sale currently at the OUTRAGEOUSLY cheap price of £40 on an Imperial demo. A steal at twice the price.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Young Foggy had never heard - as you rightfully state Ian - this Wonderful Blackpool Mecca classic ? What was he doing whilst he was there when it was played ? Wearing the flying helmet he usually saved for home " activities " . to cover his ears ? Shame on him .........

As with this clip , and the countless others that you have compiled , You have again put a " face to a name / voice " : please accept my sincerest thanks for doing so . The pleasure of seeing the people singing their respective contributions to the soundtrack of my 43 year ( and continuing ) association with the club / northern / rare soul music scene never ceases for me ........

Sterling amd commendable work Mr Levine ; Sterling and commendable work .........

Malc Burton

Let me just make this clear folks. I knew the Erma Thomas track - in fact I sold the Irma Thomas album the other week to someone on here I think, but for some reason it didn't resonate with me quite as much as other stuff back in the day. Wasn't it Flash from Keighley's favourite record?

Also with Levine blasting in my ear none stop throughout my viewing of the DVD's I was somewhat shell-shocked by the time Erma appeared. Imagine the scenario: it's 2.00am in the morning after a long day and with every single video which came on I had this raucous voice sounding at the back of head, "Oh. This is just phenomenal. You know who it is don't you? What!!! You haven't recognised it yet? How very dare you! How could you possibly not know this from the first bars. Are you a congenital cretin???" etc, etc

Yes. The track's obviously a classic - just not as big a classic as some others for me.

Ian D :unsure:

Ian D

Social source share

Paup-ine's so enthusiastic, she can have the first one off the press!

Where are those other 19,999 Paup-ines then? I have a commercial interest now.........

Ian D :)

She wants C.P. Spencer on a seven inch.

Social source share

Go on, it could be your No: 2.

You could put the original version on the b-side/a-side.

Can I have 4th copy off the press?

Is that after me, Ian Dewhirst, and Phil Dick ???

Social source share

Freda Payne obviously, the tremendous Nat Augustin double-sider and today I'm actually going to spend the next few hours going through the Motor City catalogue looking for other gems, so I'll post up any goodies I find!

All the gems will probably be on Volume Nine.

Social source share

Not so. I'm going through 'em as we speak.

So, from Vol 1......

A joyous set of performances and a great mid-tempo good-time pounder from Jean Terrell, Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence plus the Originals. Sounds like a Chicago recording......

Jean, Scherrie & Lynda From The Supremes & The Originals "Back By Popular Demand"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19521071d91701b3/

Ian D :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

And from Vol 2, here's a couple worth another listen.....

A lovely mid-tempo good-time groover and a wonderful homage to Marvin by his brother......

Frankie Gaye "My Brother"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19521411fe5e2569/

And anyone who doesn't think these two are singing their hearts out and giving a brilliant set of performances is obviously deaf.......

Billy Preston & Syreeta "Watching The Hands Of Time"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/195215707bb9939d/

It'll take a bit of time to get to Vol 9 Ian.....

Ian D :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Not so. I'm going through 'em as we speak.

So, from Vol 1......

A joyous set of performances and a great mid-tempo good-time pounder from Jean Terrell, Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence plus the Originals. Sounds like a Chicago recording......

Jean, Scherrie & Lynda From The Supremes & The Originals "Back By Popular Demand"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19521071d91701b3/

Ian D biggrin.gif

This was on an American seven inch, and is already well known, and got a massive amount of Northern Soul club play back in the 1990s.

Social source share

A lovely mid-tempo good-time groover and a wonderful homage to Marvin by his brother......

Frankie Gaye "My Brother"

Definately, youv'e got to do that one..

It's already been on a seven inch.

Social source share

And anyone who doesn't think these two are singing their hearts out and giving a brilliant set of performances is obviously deaf.......

Billy Preston & Syreeta "Watching The Hands Of Time"

yes Ian - and watch this too....

">
Social source share

YES IAN , AND YOU DO REALLY NEED TO PUT DAVID RUFFIN OUT ON 7 INCH LAST NIGHT I HAD 3 PEOPLE YET AGAIN ASK WHERE THEY CAN GET A COPY .

Yep, agreed! Paul Thrower played it on my show the other week. Absolutely outstanding and one which I'll be playing again tomorrow (Orginal Mastercuts Show, Every Sunday afternoon 2.00-4.00pm LIVE).

Co-incidentally, it's also the first track on Volume 3 which I've just got to. A tremendous vocal. Can you just imagine that session? Lovely stuff and I'm not surprised it's getting played.

David Ruffin "Hurt The One You Love"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19527625ffc8ad60/

SI-004 perchance Phil?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Yep, agreed! Paul Thrower played it on my show the other week. Absolutely outstanding and one which I'll be playing again tomorrow (Orginal Mastercuts Show, Every Sunday afternoon 2.00-4.00pm LIVE).

Co-incidentally, it's also the first track on Volume 3 which I've just got to. A tremendous vocal. Can you just imagine that session? Lovely stuff and I'm not surprised it's getting played.

David Ruffin "Hurt The One You Love"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/19527625ffc8ad60/

SI-004 perchance Phil?

Ian D biggrin.gif

No Not That Mix .

Social source share