• Replies 23
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thanks, that's a start.

Not many listed in Cobra?

Understand Teardrop and Key-Loc are linked in some way to Cobra.

Is that what you're suggesting with these links?

Yes he is Denis,loads of good stuff on the Cobra label for you mate,right up your street.

Social source share

Yes he is Denis,loads of good stuff on the Cobra label for you mate,right up your street.

Hi Toby,

Howzit goin'?

This particular Cobra label has what seems to me like a lot of Garage records on it, not too many R&B or early Soul records, is that not correct?

Everything I've heard on it, except for one, have all been non R&B or Soul.

Teardrop label is somewhat similar but I do have a few nice early Soul records on that one.

Ain't got a thing on Key-Loc.

Can you recommend any gooduns on any of these labels?

I guess you probably saw quite a lot of these labels during your time in and around Houston?

Denbo.

Social source share

Teardrop biggie is Rocky Gil & The Bishops 'Its Not The End'

Key-Loc rarity - Little Jimmy Edwards - 'Slappin' Some Soul Upon Me' which is more funk.

Other Cobra records worth investigating are Rod Andrea & The Ram Rods, Sonny Ace 'Little Girl' (awesome mid tempo) The Czars & The Royal Five 'My Baby Just Cares For Me'. (This i assume isn't The Royal Five out of Philly??)

Lots of the Cobra output seems to be Latino garage soul, with heavy hammond work, and vocals similar to Ray & The Blue Satins etc. Sunny & The Sunliners put a lot out on these labels too.

Would like to hear the Benny Easley on Cobra ifs anyone has it?

Also, are these labels linked with Tomi at all as Little Joe & The Latinaires seem to have recorded across them?

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Try these Cobra (out of Massachusetts) 45s

T & T "Something on my mind" awesome modern soul dancer from the pen of Asford & Simpson

Energies " How many tears" early seventies (i think) midpaced female lead shuffler.

T &T about but around the £200+ mark now

Energies semi known seen one go at auction for $240 about a year ago

Both tracks went down well in modern room at Cleethorpes.

Dave Halsall

Social source share

Try these Cobra (out of Massachusetts) 45s

T & T "Something on my mind" awesome modern soul dancer from the pen of Asford & Simpson

Energies " How many tears" early seventies (i think) midpaced female lead shuffler.

T &T about but around the £200+ mark now

Energies semi known seen one go at auction for $240 about a year ago

Both tracks went down well in modern room at Cleethorpes.

Dave Halsall

the boston cobra had a release by the energetics as well as the energies

Social source share

Always thought the three were connected? Can't remember where I read it....didn't know Jox was tho! Does Tomi have any connection?

£150 too much on the Rod Andrea on JMs i would of thought?

I assumed they were unconnected as they have different owners, Abe Epstein for Cobra/Jox and Huey P Meaux for Teardrop which is part of the Crazy Cajon set up???? Can someone confirm or say otherwise???

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert