Deep Funk And N/soul What The Funkin' Hell

I like everything from 1950's "R & B" to stuff made last Week, don't get the fuss, at least it was different??? Too many, especially on this site seem determined to set some parameters on what should & shouldn't be played (R & B/Funk/Popcorn etc etc). I'd wrongly thought that the 100 club was veering towards being an "oldies fest"

, nice to see something different and a bit controversial getting played down there, must try and go more often - superb!!

Des

Social source share

• Replies 225
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I like everything from 1950's "R & B" to stuff made last Week, don't get the fuss, at least it was different??? Too many, especially on this site seem determined to set some parameters on what should & shouldn't be played (R & B/Funk/Popcorn etc etc). I'd wrongly thought that the 100 club was veering towards being an "oldies fest"

, nice to see something different and a bit controversial getting played down there, must try and go more often - superb!!

Des

Good for you,what i say ain't gonna' make much difference and my parameters are pretty wide maybe as wide as yours,anyway looks like there will be more of the stuff after this thread from what people have said.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Des

With Butch and keith on most times and me plugging the various unissued tracks and discoveries, along with guests like Andy Dyson, Mick H, Karl Heard, Marco etc i have no idea where you got the oldies fest from; please enlighten me. There's only Mick who plays oldies to any extent and I chuck a bunch of 3 or 4 in to please some of the crowd who want them and because they're good but who would tell you we were an oldies fest? I think, like you say, getting down there could be the answer.

Social source share

Des

Any publicity is good publicity as they say in the classics, so perhaps all this controversy will mean tens of 1000's lining up to get into the next 100 Club niter ...

Social source share

Now, before my comments get blown out of ALL proportions, and I get accused of Herecy and Blasphemy against such an Iconic Northern Soul institution let's get this into perspective. I'm out EVERY week, and each week there are about 40 or so things to do, and with the cost of petrol etc etc, I ask, discuss and get the unchallenged views on all aspects of the scene, venues, D.J.'s etc etc from many, many people up & down the Country. This false "impression" I got came from a few folks, and to be fair, was only mentioned because I was genuinely impressed at the open minded and diverse nature of what the 100 club was offering (and got myself banned at the same time!) I am quite happy to invoke Northern Soul Shariya Law on anyone who dismisses, in any way, shape or form, the 100 Club's musical policy, but I stand by what I put down, and reiterate that I am truly impressed with what was played, and was wrong in mine (and some others, I hasten to add) pre conceived views. Now where's that Sack cloth

Des Parker

Social source share

f*** me i go to switzerland for one week and.... Ken is packing in northern,the 100 is a funk club,Butch is playing disco funk and Des Parker is in sack cloth. I think i will go away more often,why does all the fun happen when i am away.

Social source share

Oh yes of course, we all used the term R & B back in the 70's, "are you into Northern Soul mate?" "No, don't like that, I'm into R & B like Mickie Champion my friend".

Oops,seemed to have a caused a minor disagreement.

What i meant was in hindsight, and after listening to Northern and RnB for a while,Mickie Champion sounds like an RnB style record to me.

In the same vein as East Coast Connection isn't Northern,it's funk.I think. :wave:

btw, i'm friends with both of you. biggrin.gif .

Social source share

Now, before my comments get blown out of ALL proportions, and I get accused of Herecy and Blasphemy against such an Iconic Northern Soul institution let's get this into perspective. I'm out EVERY week, and each week there are about 40 or so things to do, and with the cost of petrol etc etc, I ask, discuss and get the unchallenged views on all aspects of the scene, venues, D.J.'s etc etc from many, many people up & down the Country. This false "impression" I got came from a few folks, and to be fair, was only mentioned because I was genuinely impressed at the open minded and diverse nature of what the 100 club was offering (and got myself banned at the same time!) I am quite happy to invoke Northern Soul Shariya Law on anyone who dismisses, in any way, shape or form, the 100 Club's musical policy, but I stand by what I put down, and reiterate that I am truly impressed with what was played, and was wrong in mine (and some others, I hasten to add) pre conceived views. Now where's that Sack cloth

Des Parker

No need for that Des, I'm always happy to see you, I was just a bit mystified and wondered if it was the type of person who would reckon Papa Bear, Ernestine Eady or the Hytones was an oldie. I think there may be die hard newies fans who move onto and past a recent discovery a lot faster than most people, myself included. Not disagreeing i just think it's a bad use of the term, overplayed rareties would be a term i could understand.

Social source share

Hardly rubbish but absolutely not Northern Soul, although that said some years ago I did stumble on an article on the web which reprinted some of Pete Smith's column in Black Music which included...

"August 75's Hot Stuff lists the Superlatives on Uptite as a new release. Maybe it was a legitimate repressing?) Bob Relf and George Benson featured in Northern Soul this month, and Levine's new spins were as follows: Tobi Bowe-Groovy Feeling (Patheway), Vessie Simmons-Shiftless Shady (Simco), David Lenyard-It Could Have Been You (Flying Eagles), Black Truth Band-Butter Nut (Black Truth), Nat Fross-Too Many Skeletons In The Closet (How Big) (cover-up I think), Creative Funk-Moving World (Creative Funk), Famous Chromes-Teach Me (Drive), Jessie Fisher-You're Not Loving A Beginner (Way Out), and finally Scott Brothers-We Like Girls (Zachron). Certainly looks as if Levine had decided to almost

100% 70's newies by this time." :)

Its rubbish to me,but.......

Social source share

Oh yes of course, we all used the term R & B back in the 70's, "are you into Northern Soul mate?" "No, don't like that, I'm into R & B like Mickie Champion my friend".

WOULD SAY THAT'S MORE THE CASE THESE DAYS. SO MANY MORE DIFFERENT ASPECTS TO 'NORTHERN' NOW. THAT'S WHY I WOULD PREFER TO SAY I LIKE 60'S

AND R&B RATHER THAN NORTHERN.

JUST A PERSONAL THING OF MINE :)

Edited by The Joker
Social source share

No need for that Des, I'm always happy to see you, I was just a bit mystified and wondered if it was the type of person who would reckon Papa Bear, Ernestine Eady or the Hytones was an oldie. I think there may be die hard newies fans who move onto and past a recent discovery a lot faster than most people, myself included. Not disagreeing i just think it's a bad use of the term, overplayed rareties would be a term i could understand.

Papa Bear has been hammered for 3 years or so now. I think overplayed rarities is a good term for a lot of whats going on! Personally, I think great tunes should be looked after and not played into extinction...but im not a jobbing dj being pestered with requests!

Social source share

Papa Bear has been hammered for 3 years or so now. I think overplayed rarities is a good term for a lot of whats going on! Personally, I think great tunes should be looked after and not played into extinction...but im not a jobbing dj being pestered with requests!

Most clubs have their regular punters who don't always get around the country. To the ones at the 100 Club, myself included, Papa Bear would have been relatively new once Keith started playing it, whereas when James plays Nancy Wilcox up North it'll be new to a lot of them, but an "oldie" at the 100 Club. I reckon it takes at least 18 months to break the most obvious of sounds, so 3 years these days isn't really that long.

Social source share

Most clubs have their regular punters who don't always get around the country. To the ones at the 100 Club, myself included, Papa Bear would have been relatively new once Keith started playing it, whereas when James plays Nancy Wilcox up North it'll be new to a lot of them, but an "oldie" at the 100 Club. I reckon it takes at least 18 months to break the most obvious of sounds, so 3 years these days isn't really that long.

Yes, thats probably true. :rolleyes: with the Greatstone, Three greyhounds, DDA and a lot of smaller clubs (not nighters) turning over quite a lot of new stuff, I guess theres a lot of exposure on that, smaller, circuit. Which really doesn't involve people in their hundreds. So 3 years is a realistic turn over time for reaching a bigger audience.

Social source share

As long as it breaks round my house, I dont really mind Ken.. :rolleyes:

Bet your house is a mini wag club anyway,not a northern soul club like my house !! but if you like it super :ohmy:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert