Deep Funk And N/soul What The Funkin' Hell

• Replies 225
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I was there from the kick off and didn't hear one 'deep funk' choppy changy track? I did hear some terrible battered oldies at points. But thats the nature of the night, a bit of something for everyone. Jo Jos is a deep funk venue, its a different genre and none of the 100 club tracks fell into it. There were tracks that were not 4/4 northern soul, if thats what you mean?

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

I must have imagined it then ? :thumbsup: they where that good no-one could name any of em' then,i was there too!!all the soulies where squished in the doorway smokin' soggy fags trying to keep dry.

Edited by ken
Social source share

I was there from the kick off and didn't hear one 'deep funk' choppy changy track? I did hear some terrible battered oldies at points. But thats the nayure of the night, a bit of something for everyone. Jo Jos is a deep funk venue, its a different genre and none of the 100 club tracks fell into it. There were tracks that were not 4/4 northern soul, if thats waht you mean?

Your spelling is crap ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

"Summer In The Parks" is probably the choppiest and most changey record that I've ever heard played on the northern soul scene. It's got a very messed up song structure and is heavily syncopated. The reason you don't think of it as an out-and-out funk tune is probably because you know it so well and that it's been a part of the northern soul pantheon for such a long time.

What about that other funk classic?.James Fountain - Seven day lover?.Surely that didn't get spun at the 100?.

Social source share

Anyone out there in support of Butch's set & playlist that Ken is referring to ?

If Butch were to pursue that approach with some other like minded souls such as ... Keb Darge for example ... could it re-invigorate the northern scene ?

Bring in thousands of ... "young" people onto the scene ?

A totally new attitude and approach to northern soul ?

Is anyone frightened by all this ?

BUTCH did a great set, no deep funk, it was soulful funk and soul. There is a big difference! Top stuff. Better than All the worn out oldies I heard on Saturday like 'sweet memories', Papa Bear etc...battered to death tunes!

Social source share

Anyone out there in support of Butch's set & playlist that Ken is referring to ?

Yes, it was great* - i, cleverly, refer to it as Funkynorthern and is not out of place at northern nites and it needed it to balance the music IMO. Unlike that Wicky Wacky thing which is not nice.

*as was Marco's.

Social source share

I'm guessing people are talking about stuff like the Total Warmth c/u and that mad bongo & wah wah laden instrumental that Butch played at the start of one of his sets??

We can't also be talking about exceptional funky soul like Lee Fields et al??

A great example of this sort of stuff is also that Foreign Blue Renaissance Mick's got.....

Edited by mulf
Social source share

This could have been a Northern monster, all the right ingredients, perfect beat, and irresistible on the feet , just like The Bottle !
:thumbup:

FATBACK BAND - WICKY WACKY

edited by site

if use the embedd features it dont interupt the flow

A classic and I for one do like this sunnysoul
:(

It also got a new lease of life on the rare groove scene in London in the 80s.

As for a possible northern classic I wouldn't have thought there"d be much chance today but at its time of release I reckon it may well have gone if some enterprising DJ had picked up on it.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

I've been thinking about this and realised there are loads of funky northern records that I used to like, well still do actually, from Summer In The Parks to Boogie With Your Baby, used to be good for a good old fast shuffle. Two of my favourite cd compilations are The Cleethorpes Story and the Blackpool Mecca Story. Seriously.

Social source share

I'm guessing people are talking about stuff like the Total Warmth c/u and that mad bongo & wah wah laden instrumental that Butch played at the start of one of his sets??

We can't also be talking about exceptional funky soul like Lee Fields et al??

A great example of this sort of stuff is also that Foreign Blue Renaissance Mick's got.....

What was that.............I think I liked it ?????..............I danced, but twas a bit different, in a good way I think...........there was a lot of distortion on the sound Saturday & was difficult at times to make some things out, particularly unfamiliar things.............or maybe that was my g-ears :thumbup: .......seriously tho', what was the instrumental would love to hear it again............anyone record the set on thier nano thingy, if so could they pse send me it.

Thank you

Russ

Social source share

The instrumental that Butch played as the first record in his second set Sat night was a c/u under the name of The South Coast Connection. Can't remember the title. I thought it sounded great.

Thanks for a great night once again Ade. Sorry for missing my first set... will try harder next time.

Social source share

Looks like time as passed me by,the records Pete talks about all ok........i would rather dance Ian L's stuff than what was played saturday might be time put me beer towl back in its draw and pack N/soul lark in.

Social source share

Looks like time as passed me by,the records Pete talks about all ok........i would rather dance Ian L's stuff than what was played saturday might be time put me beer towl back in its draw and pack N/soul lark in.

Or maybe not go anywhere but wag/jo jo's type clubs and become a n/soul dj,i wish i could afford it.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Is it a N/soul/nighter club,or somethin' else ? Mr B ! what is it,jack of all scenes masters of none :thumbup:

I think this is a UK "thing" to have the soul music divided into separate genres and sometimes rooms. In a way I can understand it since it has it's origin there, but in Norway we've only have one therm and that is soul. For us that is northern, R&B, funk, x-over, modern, latin soul etc. and nobody care, or maybe I should say that they don't know any kind of separation.

IMO it's refreshing to hear different sounds at a long night :(

Social source share

You cant do that Ken................we've been thru' 7ts, pop stompers, disco, Jazz Funk, oldies, newies, latin, mod, soulful house, beat ballads, midtempo, down tempo, crossover & god knows what else, but the back bone will always be thhe trad NS sounds, in 5 years or less, we'll all be discussing some other genre of blackmusic that has been pleyed at NS venues.................anyway we'd all miss ya ugly mug, ya moanin' old git :thumbup: .

Russ

Social source share

I think this is a UK "thing" to have the soul music divided into separate genres and sometimes rooms. In a way I can understand it since it has it's origin there, but in Norway we've only have one therm and that is soul. For us that is northern, R&B, funk, x-over, modern, latin soul etc. and nobody care, or maybe I should say that they don't know any kind of separation.

IMO it's refreshing to hear different sounds at a long night :thumbup:

The Northern Soul scene was totally different to anything else which is why a lot of us got into it in the first place - different from mainstream soul, funk, disco - it was NORTHERN SOUL - and thats how it should have remained in my opinion. You don't go to a Northern Soul do and expect to hear funk.

Social source share

The Northern Soul scene was totally different to anything else which is why a lot of us got into it in the first place - different from mainstream soul, funk, disco - it was NORTHERN SOUL - and thats how it should have remained in my opinion. You don't go to a Northern Soul do and expect to hear funk.

Good answer and I respect that!

Just wanted to say that we don't have these kind of issues.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

This is a brilliant answer Pete. There was plenty of chart Funk, Jazz Funk, Rare Groove, Lovers Rock etc... in the late 70s and early 80s but the reason why i got into northern soul is because i didn't want to listen to any of that, otherwise i would have spent all my time in the Bali Hai room at the Locarno and my life would have taken a different course.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Kenny Smith was played at the last Banbury Russ, so maybe it's getting the reactivation it deserves. Funnily enough i wouldn't consider it 'funky'. It ain't 'Funky To Me' now there's a brilliant record that needs more plays. Anyone got a soundfile?

But in a way thats almost what I mean, some of the stuff being played we would have excepted not too long ago as NS its only more recently that we have to say, thats funk or funky so I dont like it, to be fair, some of it is hard funk, but if it works play it...............

Russ

Social source share

If Butch were to pursue that approach with some other like minded souls such as ... Keb Darge for example ... could it re-invigorate the northern scene ?

Bring in thousands of ... "young" people onto the scene ?

A totally new attitude and approach to northern soul ?

Is anyone frightened by all this ?

Well if they play that Wicky Wacky shite you posted then it will be a scene I no longer wish to be part of :lol: Anyway wouldn't it be a funk scene then not a northern scene :lol:

Social source share

Well if they play that Wicky Wacky shite you posted then it will be a scene I no longer wish to be part of :lol: Anyway wouldn't it be a funk scene then not a northern scene :lol:

I think it would be more a wedding disco scene.

Social source share

IMO it's refreshing to hear different sounds at a long night :lol:

Thats how it used to be here mate, the whole thing in one room, the only criteria, if its good & the punters dance...........play it !!!

Russ

Social source share

I think your right, just done Lucerne, all was mixed together, all worked.

Social source share

:lol: Bang on Pete :lol:

Then if i went to a night advertising a bit of everything like northern, funk, whatever then i wouldnt be dissapointed would i cos thats what it says on the advert :rolleyes:

so was they deep funk tracks or soul with a funky twist cos im partial to a bit of that biggrin.gif

Social source share

:lol: Bang on Pete :lol:

Then if i went to a night advertising a bit of everything like northern, funk, whatever then i wouldnt be dissapointed would i cos thats what it says on the advert :rolleyes:

so was they deep funk tracks or soul with a funky twist cos im partial to a bit of that biggrin.gif

Thats about where i am,if it says Northern that is what i want :D i go to other things when i can,but dont expect to hear northern i am happy with that.

Social source share

Thats about where i am,if it says Northern that is what i want :rolleyes: i go to other things when i can,but dont expect to hear northern i am happy with that.

Its people like that James Trouble that try to enforce funk on us eh Ken but we just wont have it will we biggrin.gif

Hi James :lol::lol:

Social source share

Its people like that James Trouble that try to enforce funk on us eh Ken but we just wont have it will we biggrin.gif

Hi James :lol::rolleyes:

Yeh !! i mean no :D come on James tell us its the future and the future is funk.

:lol: Bearsy

Social source share

Russ, can you please remove the mp3 from your post above as per forum rules, and use refosoul for all sound files. Thanks.

Rachel, I apologise, however I just cut n pasted the link from a previous thread. I have deleted from the original post, but cant delete from the 'reply' quoting the post. Maybe you are able to amend it. Once again, sorry for inadvertently messing up !!!.

Russ

Social source share

IMO it's refreshing to hear different sounds at a long night :)

That's why it's so cold over there! :wicked::D:D

Kev

Social source share

Afternoon Ken

I was at 100 club on saturday (as you know) and I didn't think there wasn't anything outragously too funky, unless they were played whilst I was outside chatting.

Some of the new stuff/mixes that Butch is playing at the moment are great (IMHO) and may-be do have a more funkier feel if you like but in my opinion that is progression and makes a nice change from hear the same thing every time.

By the way Val, you would have loved it Marco was fab.

hiya Nick..........sounds like it would of been right up my alley......love the 'Grease Wheels' and Preston Love that Butch plays....I would love to see some play lists

Social source share

Rachel, I apologise, however I just cut n pasted the link from a previous thread. I have deleted from the original post, but cant delete from the 'reply' quoting the post. Maybe you are able to amend it. Once again, sorry for inadvertently messing up !!!.

Russ

No problem :wicked:

Social source share

But thats not a Northern night.

Soul appreciation yes but Northern no.

Social source share

Personaly i go to allnighters to listen to N/soul not hard core funk,i like funk but it as to have a stonkin' back beat that dont let up,not that choppy changey rare crap i am hearing out.....you can keep,and the fans that come with it aint much better i dont want me shoes all danced on,stupid unco-ordinated dance action..........djs if your fed up of northern fook off somewhere else and stop trying to drag us into funk stupidity.

Respect Ken

Its easy for a top northern DJ to play rare funk records Ken................. they just play the b sides of their rare Soul tunes at the funk nights !

Perhaps Butch just got mixed up with the A and B sides due to drinking or drugs or somthing ?

No need to get worried ?

:lol:

Mossy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert