Metros Unissued?

Kev Moore

Could someone help.

I heard the story of a warehouse fire in California burning down or something a batch of records or masters went with it. I heard that amongst them were some early 70's Metros tunes. One was 'What's wrong with your love' which I managed to obtain on Soul King records. Is this a legal release or a boot?. Also I think there was another song from the same session that has a similar backing to Cynthiia & Imaginary Three 'What am I(Without you)' The Metros track is called 'We still have time'. I have the Bianco cd but was wondering if this track was ever released?

If so what label? I'd love to track one down.

Thanks Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

The Metros (members were Alfred Mitchell, Paul Williams, Robert Suttles, James Buckman and Gordon Dunn who joined probably some time in 1967 after the release of their album as he is not on the album cover)

RCA Victor 47-8994 - Sweetest One / Time Changes Things - 1966

RCA Victor 47-9159 - Since I Found My Baby / No Baby - 1967 (some copies issued with picture sleeve)

RCA Victor 47-9331 - Let's Groove / The Replacer - 1967

1-2-3 1720 - If You Can Feel / The Dampness Of Your Kiss - 1969

Soul King 401 - What's Wrong With Your Love / She's Just Not Everybody's Girl - 1991 (recorded 1970 in Detroit) (Unsure which version of the two known recordings this is)

LP's

RCA Victor 3776 - Sweetest One - 1967 Tracks:

Unreleased Recordings Later Issued On CD

Detroit Soul From The Vaults GSCD 19 - What's Wrong With Your Love (Version #1) - ?

Detroit Soul From The Vaults GSCD 19 - Don't Let Her Give You Some Of Her Love - ?

Detroit Soul From The Vaults - Volume 2 GSCD 20 - What's Wrong With Your Love (Version #2) - ?

Detroit Soul From The Vaults - Volume 2 GSCD 20 - We Still Have Time - ?

Rare Collectable And Soulful - Volume 1 CDKEND 141 - Push A Little Harder

Rare Collectable And Soulful - Volume 2 CDKEND 156 - My Imagination

Rare Collectable And Soulful - Volume 2 CDKEND - I'm Losing You Again

Social source share

The Metros (members were Alfred Mitchell, Paul Williams, Robert Suttles, James Buckman and Gordon Dunn who joined probably some time in 1967 after the release of their album as he is not on the album cover)

RCA Victor 47-8994 - Sweetest One / Time Changes Things - 1966

RCA Victor 47-9159 - Since I Found My Baby / No Baby - 1967 (some copies issued with picture sleeve)

RCA Victor 47-9331 - Let's Groove / The Replacer - 1967

1-2-3 1720 - If You Can Feel / The Dampness Of Your Kiss - 1969

Soul King 401 - What's Wrong With Your Love / She's Just Not Everybody's Girl - 1991 (recorded 1970 in Detroit) (Unsure which version of the two known recordings this is)

LP's

RCA Victor 3776 - Sweetest One - 1967 Tracks:

Unreleased Recordings Later Issued On CD

Detroit Soul From The Vaults GSCD 19 - What's Wrong With Your Love (Version #1) - ?

Detroit Soul From The Vaults GSCD 19 - Don't Let Her Give You Some Of Her Love - ?

Detroit Soul From The Vaults - Volume 2 GSCD 20 - What's Wrong With Your Love (Version #2) - ?

Detroit Soul From The Vaults - Volume 2 GSCD 20 - We Still Have Time - ?

Rare Collectable And Soulful - Volume 1 CDKEND 141 - Push A Little Harder

Rare Collectable And Soulful - Volume 2 CDKEND 156 - My Imagination

Rare Collectable And Soulful - Volume 2 CDKEND - I'm Losing You Again

Cheers Dave

Should have had a look in your book first.

So I take it that 'We still have time' has never had a vinyl release?

If so c'mon Ady/Tim bout time I think. :thumbsup:

Kev

Social source share

Could someone help.

I heard the story of a warehouse fire in California burning down or something a batch of records or masters went with it. I heard that amongst them were some early 70's Metros tunes. One was 'What's wrong with your love' which I managed to obtain on Soul King records. Is this a legal release or a boot?. Also I think there was another song from the same session that has a similar backing to Cynthiia & Imaginary Three 'What am I(Without you)' The Metros track is called 'We still have time'. I have the Bianco cd but was wondering if this track was ever released?

If so what label? I'd love to track one down.

Thanks Kev

I think Ron Murphy did the Soul King issue. I don't know if he did any licensing or not. Legal or not, I wouldn't call it a "boot" which is a illegal repress of a released record, as it wasn't released.

Social source share

Cheers for that. Shame about their pulled gig at New Century last year.

By the way who was Burnley Dave?

Was it our Kid or Fergie or another Dave from Burnley.

Kev

Anyone know if the Soul King release is legal or boot.

Ye great shame They pulled the plug on myself and Chris after working so hard although I Now know what really Happened , maybe this year I may bring them over but at moment I'm working hard with The Capitols and also a Groovesville Review planned for July .

ps Burnley Dave is Close Mate who lives over Warwick .

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

Ye great shame They pulled the plug on myself and Chris after working so hard although I Now know what really Happened , maybe this year I may bring them over but at moment I'm working hard with The Capitols and also a Groovesville Review planned for July .

ps Burnley Dave is Close Mate who lives over Warwick .

Capitols or Metros :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

THE SOUL KING ISSUE WAS DONE IN THE UK IF I CAN REMEMBER ,SOMEONE WILL PROVIDE THE ACCURATE STORY,THINK MIKE CHARLTON HAS THE INNS AND OUT IF I CAN REMEMBER .

PS THE NELSON SAUNDERS ITS REAL TRACK ON THE SAME LOGO IS AWESOME.

BAZ A

Hi Baz

I have the Metros and Doni Burdick didn't know Nelson Saunders was pressed also.

Which track? were they legal issues or boots?

Kev

Social source share

Hi Baz

I have the Metros and Doni Burdick didn't know Nelson Saunders was pressed also.

Which track? were they legal issues or boots?

Kev

hELLO kEV THE NELSON SAUNDERS TRACK ITS REAL COMPLETES THE TRIO IF I REMEMBER RIGHTLY,AS FOR THE LEGAL V BOOT,IF YOU DIG AROUND ON HERE PAST ARTICLES SOMEONE HAS DISCUSSED THIS BEFORE AND ITS A STRONG THREAD,CHECK MY REFOSOUL FOR THE NELSON TRACK WHICH HAS AN AWESOME DEP FLIP AND TRY THE SEARCH ENGINE FOR THE PAST THREAD,SHOULD HELP CLARIFY MATE.

IM OFF TOM STOCK UP ON BUD FOR TONIGHTS SUPER BOWL,CANT WAIT!!! :thumbsup:

BAZ A

Social source share

What i seem to remember was Jim O'Hara got a Metro's acetate from Ron Murphy and it was played at Shotts before it got pressed on Soul King, at the same time Colin Law was palying Candle In My Window, and the Nelson Saunders cut ended with Rod Dearlove (I THINK :thumbsup: ) sure there was a bit in Voices From Shadows about it

Harry

Social source share

i really like the flip of the metros

Boba

I think all the unissued Metro tracks are great. Been looking out for a copy of 'We can still make it' for yonks but it seems it has never been pressed. Which is a shame because it's fantastic despite what Pete Smith thinks. :rolleyes::unsure:

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Boba

I think all the unissued Metro tracks are great. Been looking out for a copy of 'We can still make it' for yonks but it seems it has never been pressed. Which is a shame because it's fantastic despite what Pete Smith thinks. :rolleyes::unsure:

Kev

KInnell I only said it was rubbish, don't make a big thing out of it!

Social source share

• 14 years later...
On 01/02/2009 at 10:23, boba said:

I think Ron Murphy did the Soul King issue. I don't know if he did any licensing or not. Legal or not, I wouldn't call it a "boot" which is a illegal repress of a released record, as it wasn't released.

Yes, Soul King was Ron's label.  It had about 5 issues (all Detroit Soul previously unreleased on vinyl).  I didn't ask him, but Ron was always a real stand-up guy;  so I'm guessing they were "legal".

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert