Frank Wilson - Was This The First Play ?

Andy Rix

In light of the thread on the anticipated auction of Frank Wilson I dug out this old tape

So is this the first play ? ... did Soul Sam get there first or did Russ beat him to it

Recorded at Notts Palais on Sunday 27 Nov 1977 ... it was almost certainlythe first time for Sam, he certainly didn't have this the weekend before

He says ....."The next one's a new stomper and one of the best things I've heard for a long time, this is 'Indeed I do', Otis Clark, and wait til you hear this one .... unbelievable"

Interesting to note that it's slightly faster than the Soul 45, as the Eddie Foster bootlegs were

Andy

music.gifFrank_Wilson___Do_I_love_you___27_Nov_1977.mp3

Frank_Wilson___Do_I_love_you___27_Nov_1977.mp3

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

He says ....."The next one's a new stomper and one of the best things I've heard for a long time, this is 'Indeed I do', Otis Clark, and wait til you hear this one .... unbelievable"

music.gifFrank_Wilson___Do_I_love_you___27_Nov_1977.mp3

Just played this to Sam to see his reaction and he could NOT understand why he played Frank Wilson after announcing Otis Clark :wicked:

He definitely owned a real one, but there were so many records, so many coverup names - priceless!

...and he's a man who lives for today and tomorrow, not for yesterday :wicked:

m

Edited by Maria O
Social source share

SO IS IT THE THIRD COPY LOL

IM CONFUSED AS HIS NAME HASNT COME UP IN THE OTHER THREAD ?

OR HAS SAM GOT A COUNT BOX IN HIS HOUSE LOL

I've not been reading most of this thread, as record-owning history isn't as close to my foreiign heart :wicked:

So, not sure what's been written.

But Sam thinks his copy went to Johnathan, then Kev Roberts, then Tim Brown.

I'm sure someone will post up, if they remember other/s involved between.

m

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Interesting to note that it's slightly faster than the Soul 45, as the Eddie Foster bootlegs were

Andy

The Eddie Foster boots taken from a tape player plugged into the decks that were slightly sped up ,

Social source share

Andy, do you think Sam might have received a dub in advance of the 'Eddie Fosters pressings" so as to generate some demand and interest in the track?

ATB

Andy K

I have no doubt that Simon supplied at least Sam & Russ with acetates .. it's self evident, well to me anyway .... did others get the same exclusivity ? .. i'm not sure

Andy

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

PS ... I also have a tape of Arthur's DJ debut at Cleethorpes ... 27 August 1978

And what was the first record he played ? I hope my memory of the day is wrong :lol:

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

And what was the first record he played ? I hope my memory of the day is wrong :lol:

The Burning Bush (Mercury) ... followed by Ral Donner - Don't Let It Lip Away ... Joey Heatherton ..... Danny Monday .. Herbert Hunter ....highlight of the spot was Billy Woods

Andy

Sounds like a great spot for 1978, would fit in well with the other class dj's at THE dayer venue of the time....

Social source share

I have no doubt that Simon supplied at least Sam & Russ with acetates .. it's self evident, well to me anyway .... did others get the same exclusivity ? .. i'm not sure

Andy

To my recollection quite a few people were supplied with acetates of upcoming issues. Knowing the boys in Selectadisc quite well at the time, I was frequently offered actual bootlegs ahead of time, for a consideration of course!

As those who know will already know I didn't take them up on their "kind" offer, but it was handy knowing what was due out.

Best,

RB

Social source share

The Burning Bush (Mercury) ... followed by Ral Donner - Don't Let It Lip Away ... Joey Heatherton ..... Danny Monday .. Herbert Hunter ....highlight of the spot was Billy Woods

Andy

This is a bizarre spot because Ral Donner was played in 78 not 77 everywhere else - Danny Monday and Billy Woods had both been bootlegged in 1976 - Herbert Hunter was bootlegged in early 77 - Burning Bush was a 78 spin - only Joey Heatherton was a 77 discovery and that was pressed in April 77

Social source share

This is a bizarre spot because Ral Donner was played in 78 not 77 everywhere else - Danny Monday and Billy Woods had both been bootlegged in 1976 - Herbert Hunter was bootlegged in early 77 - Burning Bush was a 78 spin - only Joey Heatherton was a 77 discovery and that was pressed in April 77

I could have sworn I heard Ginger play Burning Bush @ Cleethorpes in '76............. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure Russ was first on Eddie Foster/Frank Wilson though......

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

I may have confused things here

The Soul Sam spot was 27 Nov 77 and was the first time I heard Frank Wilson - we are trying to establish if this was the first play. Does anybody have evidence that Russ played it before this date

The Arthur Cleethorpes debut tape I referred to is from 27 August 1978 ... in essence he mainly played established tunes .. I only mentioned it as Maria had posted and thought she might be interested

My apologies for confusing things

Andy

Social source share

...The Soul Sam spot was 27 Nov 77 and was the first time I heard Frank Wilson - we are trying to establish if this was the first play. ...

I am not sure wether playing a tune off a carvers acetate given from somebody in the process of and responsible for getting the bootlegs of said tune on the market would justify as the first "official play".

Maybe it does :thumbsup: ?

However, if any interest at all I would like to know who and at which venue did play an original 45 for the first time.

Marc

Social source share

I am not sure wether playing a tune off a carvers acetate given from somebody in the process of and responsible for getting the bootlegs of said tune on the market would justify as the first "official play".

Maybe it does :thumbsup: ?

However, if any interest at all I would like to know who and at which venue did play an original 45 for the first time.

Marc

If it was the first play, it was the first play, regardless of what it was played off. Back in those days, one guy would have the original and the rest would have emidiscs cut until they found one. Pretty sure the first ever play was by Russ at Wigan, I may be wrong, but one thing I do know is that the record had a very very short lifespan before it was pressed as Eddie Foster and never became a massive sound - it was big alright, but not like it is now.

Social source share

Yes,Andy i was at jonathons house the night sam sold it to Jonathon ,just before we were heading of to St.Ives allniighter

Jonathon went on trade to kev for wait for it £200 worth of funk albums.

Mick H

Social source share

Yes,Andy i was at jonathons house the night sam sold it to Jonathon ,just before we were heading of to St.Ives allniighter

Mick H

thanks Mick

that's really interesting ....up until yesterday when Maria mentioned it, and now confirmed by you, I'm not aware that any of us knew Sam once owned it. This obviously changes the 'family tree' of ownership ...

cheers

andy

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

I recall looking at it at the time. It was a 'dctRECORDERS' acetate ... he never called it Otis Clark again, the next time he said 'Eddie Foster'

Andy

PS ... I also have a tape of Arthur's DJ debut at Cleethorpes ... 27 August 1978

didn't he kick off with tim tam!! after sam finished with gerri thomas? laugh.gif

Social source share

thanks Mick

that's really interesting ....up until yesterday when Maria mentioned it, and now confirmed by you, I'm not aware that any of us knew Sam once owned it. This obviously changes the 'family tree' of ownership ...

cheers

andy

Don,t think there,s much sam did not own back in the mid 70,s. he proberley doe,s not remember haif the stuff he had,i also remember him selling jonathon his Qwen Owens just say your wanted & needed for £100 a kings ranson in 77

mick

Social source share

Mick H

That's true - Jon had offered it to me a week or so before on one of our selling trips to Wigan at £250.00 but l turned it down after some consideration due to it's condition!

Back then just another 45.....

Dave Raistrick.

Social source share

That's true - Jon had offered it to me a week or so before on one of our selling trips to Wigan at £250.00 but l turned it down after some consideration due to it's condition!

Back then just another 45.....

Dave Raistrick.

Still just another 45 Dave, just a bit rarer than most - you wouldn't have anything else in that condition in your collection back then, and I don't think anyone back then thought it would remain as rare as it has. If I had known then....etc etc.

I confess I thought he was crazy buying FW and Gwen Owens!

His album and 12's collection are both still lovely (in my opinion).

Best,

RB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert