Lucky Davis = Mr. Lucky ("i Was Born To Love You")?

Benji

I've just noticed the copy of Mr. Lucky "I was born to love you" on Stardom that is currently on Ebay.

The label scan shows the record was written and produced by a certain Lucky Davis, I assume that he's singing as well (too much of a name coincidence IMO) but is he also Lucky Davis (as on Highland 45s) and maybe even Luckey Jamal Davis ("Love is better"/"Vacate" on Big City)?

Mr. Lucky on Stardom was from L.A. and I understand Highland Records were from L.A. as well so my theory might be true? Does anyone know where the Big City 45 was from. Doesn't give any info on its label...

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Lucky Davis on Highland and Lucky 'Jamal' Davis are the same guy, as is Mr. Lucky on Stardom. All his records are great.

I always thought this is Lucky Cordell ??? any ideas ?

Social source share

I guess there've been more than just one or two different labels called "Big City". I mean, it's not the most imaginative name in the world, is it?

I guess your guess is right thats why I said theres one from NYC (also) as Jacos choice of words "BIG CITY is a LA label" wouldn`t have left space for others labels under that name coming from other cities than LA..

Social source share

absolutely not. Lucky Cordell is not a singer and is from Chicago, not LA.

Lucky Cordell's kids were singers, though, they recorded as Pat and Pam.

thinking about it he did cut some gospel 45s but he was mainly a DJ and most of his records are DJ spoken word things. Either way, it's definitely not him.

Social source share

I've just noticed the copy of Mr. Lucky "I was born to love you" on Stardom that is currently on Ebay.

The label scan shows the record was written and produced by a certain Lucky Davis, I assume that he's singing as well (too much of a name coincidence IMO) but is he also Lucky Davis (as on Highland 45s) and maybe even Luckey Jamal Davis ("Love is better"/"Vacate" on Big City)?

Mr. Lucky on Stardom was from L.A. and I understand Highland Records were from L.A. as well so my theory might be true? Does anyone know where the Big City 45 was from. Doesn't give any info on its label...

Doesnt sound like the "NOT WHERE YOU STARTED" Luckey Davis to me??

Sounds more like a young George Kerr :thumbup:

Social source share

just listened to IWBTLY and love is better and they dont sound like the same singer. but versatility and all that. wasnt stardom some sort of budget label like the spar/hit setup a few years earlier :lol:

dave

Seeing as the Stardom 45 is heavily indebted to the Jackie Ross hit Selfish One it could be dated from around '64-'65. The Big City 45 is a good few years later: mid '70s I'm guessing, so it's quite possible that the guy's voice matured quite a bit in the intervening years: I think they sound like the exact same singer: his phrasing and tone is similar on all the tracks mentioned.

Sam has an acetate of unreleased tracks by him which he reviewed very enthusiastically in Manifesto a few years back. I haven't heard those and wonder if anyone who has can comment.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert