Talc Dust Seals Dance Club Fate

(The Club's) used the Thatcham Memorial Hall twice a week for 20 years but was told that it was being evicted because members had ignored warnings not to sprinkle talcum powder on the dance floor. The veteran dancers say the powder helps their footwork but the trustees claim it has an abrasive effect on the hall's new £15,000 floor, and has landed them with a £300 repair bill and given volunteers hours of extra cleaning work.

Reading Chronicle

3268139422_2b190ba56f.jpg

Talc abrasive... :lol:

Better stop using it on babies bottoms then... rolleyes.gif

it is it and can be used as a polishing agent, kev spittle lost the a A P club because of use of talc on the dancefloor, as have many places over the years. some people use french chalk now as has same properties as talc.

mark

No reason whatsoever to put talc powder on the floor...

How would the people you see throwin talc around the dance floor feel if someone came to their house and started

wazzin talc all around the floor then someone started to rub it in with there feet.. Not very happy i bet.....

• Up vote 1

it is it and can be used as a polishing agent, kev spittle lost the a A P club because of use of talc on the dancefloor, as have many places over the years. some people use french chalk now as has same properties as talc.

mark

French chalk was used back in the day at the old Mod clubs.

Apart from its effects of a wooden floor, of which I cannot claim any knowledge, the problem with talc can be that some people chuck it around like confetti at a wedding and you can slip over easily. On some dance floors a little talc is helpful, but on a good floor it is unnecessary. I say this as someone who used to always have talc in my bag.

• Up vote 1
Guest vinylvixen

kev spittle lost the a A P club because of use of talc on the dancefloormark

I lost a knee cap because of talc on the dancefloor. Back in '81, I went down to dj at Gary Todd's night in Southampton and someone put talc on the floor. Me, wearing my Bass Weejuns, slipped and went down like a sack of shit with my leg imitating an accordian. I can just remember my leg creasing and bending backwards - something I never want to see again. My knee cap ended up round the back of my calf and without the aid of Martin Bishop easing it back into place would've been a lot worse off than I was. As it was, I was on crutches, strapped up from ankle to hip for 3 months - and to add insult to injury, I'd been unemployed for a while and was starting a new job the next day. They were none too pleased to see me turn up on Long John Silver crutches and having to let me go to physio every day for 2 hours for 2 months!!! Physio consisted of putting two bags of sugar in a shopping bag on the end of my foot and trying to lift it - the pain :lol: I have really bad problems with that knee now - arthritis and all that bollox...talc, I fuckin' hate it :ohmy:

Edited by vinylvixen
Guest Soul On A Stick

Hi everyone

Obviously the safety aspect is the biggest issue here, but once the talcum powder is airborne etc it can also play havoc with the air con systems, get rid of the awful stuff! thmbdn.gif:thumbup:

Regards

Paul

Edited by Soul On A Stick

I blame crap dancefloors.......... due to the fact that owners don't get them cleaned and polished properly anymore,strike a deal,polish the floor= no talc down,ps. anyone know how to soften up Loake leather shoes,they're crippling me!

Edited by dancingcollector

I blame crap dancefloors.......... due to the fact that owners don't get them cleaned and polished properly anymore,strike a deal,polish the floor= no talc down,ps. anyone know how to soften up Loake leather shoes,they're crippling me!

Well you could try the old army method...piss in them (no this isn't a joke!)

Guest vinylvixen

Place the back of the shoe onto a towel and then hammer the leather along the top where it would rub on the back of your ankle....

Urine is a very old way of tanning and softening leather....Canterbury used to stink back in the 7Ts round by the tannery :lol:

Place the back of the shoe onto a towel and then hammer the leather along the top where it would rub on the back of your ankle....

Urine is a very old way of tanning and softening leather....Canterbury used to stink back in the 7Ts round by the tannery :lol:

and then get hammered,may give this a go b4 I give the first suggestion a wee try laugh.gif

Guest bazrico

No reason whatsoever to put talc powder on the floor...

How would the people you see throwin talc around the dance floor feel if someone came to their house and started

wazzin talc all around the floor then someone started to rub it in with there feet.. Not very happy i bet.....

Well Said Ian no need Can't remember anyone using white powder ON the dance floor if i don't see at the weekender the see you at Torch do

Barry

Guest Catfish

Well Said Ian no need Can't remember anyone using white powder ON the dance floor if i don't see at the weekender the see you at Torch do

Barry

An old debate but the selfishness of those who splatt the stuff liberally all over the floor continues... Mostly MEN who don't actually dance that energetically any more but like to give the impression they do by making the place smell of gardenia. At least it helps cover the smell of their often none too fragrant armpits flagrantly displayed by a vest. A great big douse of it, a half hearted shuffle about, then it's invisible, all rubbed in waiting to render several square metres of dancefloor totally unusable by anyone in proper shoes.

If you MUST use it, please put it at the SIDE of the dancefloor and dip in it. Then everyone else doesn't have to suffer. I mean, really, are you going to dance on that same bit of dancefloor all night? Do you own it? No. It's the same mentality as people who think they own the bit of road outside their house.

Had this problem last night at Bedford, PERFECT dancefloor, but a few men behaved as above. And my God, I have never seen people sweat so much with so LITTLE physical activity as these talcers do!! Put some f***ing clothes on, it's disgusting! Or else do some floorwork that you keep threatening to do through body language... but never quite get there... !!! It's all talc, no action!

I'm adding a signature I feel so strongly about this.

Edited by Catfish