Soulclub - Donations Etc

Guest 50box

• Replies 122
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I`m getting page not found on Soulclub site, anyone else ?

Tom.

It's been like that for a few days now Tom.... not sure why though.... server down?, has "atom" pulled it?, being upgraded/updated?....

Noticed that you could only get first page for a while before that.... none of the "a-z" pages.... meant having to scroll down a lengthy page instead instead of straight to "letter" or artiste/artists.... which is why I mention upgrade/update....

Social source share

Noticed that you could only get first page for a while before that.... none of the "a-z" pages.... meant having to scroll down a lengthy page instead instead of straight to "letter" or artiste/artists.... which is why I mention upgrade/update....

Yeh that`s right I forgot, let`s hope that`s it. Someone shout if it comes back please.

Social source share

Guest andycambs

I just tried soulclub and it's still down, if it's gone this will be a massive blow to me and I guess that goes for most on here. Just wondering, who is behind the soulclub? cos I for one would be happy to stand them a pint if i met them at the bar :thumbsup:

Andy

Social source share

Oh dear this is worse then when ktf downloads closed.

So that only leaves NR's site which can't be openly mentioned on here as it promotes dvd's & cd's etc.

However it has got 20 pages of Northern sounds. A lot of oldies in fairness, but then it would seem thats all we've got.

PM for address if you want it. Off for a bath now, then out dancin, so will check in again tomorrow.

Social source share

Oh dear this is worse then when ktf downloads closed.

So that only leaves NR's site which can't be openly mentioned on here as it promotes dvd's & cd's etc.

However it has got 20 pages of Northern sounds. A lot of oldies in fairness, but then it would seem thats all we've got.

PM for address if you want it. Off for a bath now, then out dancin, so will check in again tomorrow.

Sorry Karen :thumbsup:https://soulgirl.kicks-ass.org/andromeda1.php

Social source share

What about swapping tapes/CD's etc of the records you own, hell i've being doing it years.

I wonder if there is some sort of legal ramifaction behind posting millions of sound files..?

I don't know, just wondered, i only do tapes of the original records i own for fellow collectors/fans, can any of the legal whizz kids on here clarify the situation..............am i allowed by law to record a vinyl record then pass it onto a fellow brother/sister of the soul scene.....

Brett

Social source share

What about swapping tapes/CD's etc of the records you own, hell i've being doing it years.

I wonder if there is some sort of legal ramifaction behind posting millions of sound files..?

I don't know, just wondered, i only do tapes of the original records i own for fellow collectors/fans, can any of the legal whizz kids on here clarify the situation..............am i allowed by law to record a vinyl record then pass it onto a fellow brother/sister of the soul scene.....

Brett

I don`t want to own the crappy ra`s just a great reference. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think his site's been pulled as it was on a friends work server and couldnt be hosted there anymore... I think that now makes me the worlds largest online soul library.. free :shades:

IThankYou.gif

Brett

Brett, are you really that worried about the legal ramifications? I'm not.. I just want to share this fantastic music with anyone willing to listen. If I get shoved in prison, so be it :shades:

Social source share

I don`t want to own the crappy ra`s just a great reference. :thumbsup:

Your reply makes no sense what so ever............ :shades: ..in relation to my post, so why do you quote my posting.......?

Social source share

I think what he meant was that the RA files you might produce and share aren't something he would keep and trade.. something he uses for reference in helping him build his vinyl collection :thumbsup:

Social source share

Your reply makes no sense what so ever............ :thumbsup: ..in relation to my post, so why do you quote my posting.......?

Meaning there shouldn`t be any legal ramifications if we just listen to them. There are some don`t like us doing that.

Tom.

Social source share

I think his site's been pulled as it was on a friends work server and couldnt be hosted there anymore... I think that now makes me the worlds largest online soul library.. free :thumbsup:

IThankYou.gif

Brett, are you really that worried about the legal ramifications? I'm not.. I just want to share this fantastic music with anyone willing to listen. If I get shoved in prison, so be it :shades:

No Karen. i'm not worried at all, but i don't post thousands of soundfiles of Soul Music via the W.W.W., so this isn't a concern in the slightest, but i wonder if the companys that release various compilations via Vinyl CD etc.......do worry.

I could care less because all my tapes are taken from my own original vinyl collecton.....i'm still not certain on the legal aspect of ME recording a tape etc for someone else...........and once again i'm not that concerned just interested from a legal viewpoint.

Brett

Social source share

From a legal standpoint, you providing a tape for someone else is illegal, it has been since the birth of tapes and will be till the end of human inhabitation of this very earth.

Was that a bit of a dig at those that provide sound files on the internet?

You provide tapes, others provide sound files on the net... both are illegal, but both provide much needed exposure to this fantastic genre so the arguement takes a leave at this point :thumbsup:

Meaning there shouldn`t be any legal ramifications if we just listen to them. There are some don`t like us doing that.

Tom.

Like who?

Social source share

From a legal standpoint, you providing a tape for someone else is illegal, it has been since the birth of tapes and will be till the end of human inhabitation of this very earth.

Was that a bit of a dig at those that provide sound files on the internet?

You provide tapes, others provide sound files on the net... both are illegal, but both provide much needed exposure to this fantastic genre so the arguement takes a leave at this point :shades:

Not a dig at all, i only care for vinyl records so RA/WM/MP3.etc, etc, bothers me very little, what is surprising is why you suggest i am having a "dig" at sound files on the internet. Once again i do not provide this service, and i am trying to think of something that less interests me...... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Any one that takes the time to put together a collection of sounds and post it on the web, Gets a big thankyou from me, :thumbsup:

To me the point of owning a record is to play and enjoy it, and if you can play it to more people and enlighten more people to the music we call Northern Soul Then all the better.

On the Tapes/CDRs Issue well nothing wrong with that as far as I can see but it just seems to be people playing stuff to people with the same taste. It dosnent get down to the grass roots of the scene where as posting a sound on the web it is more accessable to people :shades:

Social source share

Ive got about a thousand Cds of soul comps etc, so if i do copies for all and sundrie, does that make me a good guy or someone who will feel the full weight of the law regarding copyright....Hell not being a T**T here, just interested in the legal aspect of this fanfare.

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

I remember atom saying he was going pull the plug on it last year but after people getting in touch asking him to keep it going he decided against closing it but maybe hes just had enough? i suppose it does take a bit of youre time to sort a web site out?.

Oh his e-mither address is atom@pobox.com if somebody wants to ask him.

Edited by Neil-ok
Social source share

Ive got aout a thousand Cds of soul comps etc, so if i do copies for all and sundrie, does that make me a good guy or someone who will feel the full weight of the law regarding copyright....Hell not being a T**T here, just interested in the legal aspect of this fanfare.

As far as ime concernd it makes you a good guy

The law you are a Bad guy you are making illegal copys of recordings and pass them on to other people

If you are in doubt about the law Just read around the outside of any UK release you own and it states it all there, Some thing on the lines of No copying or playing in public without prior agreement Blah Blah

Social source share

I think what he meant was that the RA files you might produce and share aren't something he would keep and trade.. something he uses for reference in helping him build his vinyl collection :thumbsup:

Where`s that nodding smiley I can`t find it.

Social source share

Ive got about a thousand Cds of soul comps etc, so if i do copies for all and sundrie, does that make me a good guy or someone who will feel the full weight of the law regarding copyright....Hell not being a T**T here, just interested in the legal aspect of this fanfare.

I already told you what the illegalities were Brett :thumbsup: Soul isn't about legalities, it's about sharing the sound in the hope of widening and lengthening it's life. You cannot copy music and share it... plain and simple - you can get round that law with loopholes which is how the internet sound files survive.

Social source share

When you have a website you have an annual fee to pay depending on the size of your site. Judging by the size this site has become, he may have been given a large bill and may possibly decided it has become too much?

Not so... it's usually all inclusive, or hosted on a personal server via dynamic means :thumbsup:

Social source share

You can look at a sales list and visit this site and 90% of the time can hear it and decide whether it's for you. We should be finding out what's wrong and if it is money we should have a whip round. Does anyone agree?

They do it out of support for the scene, don`t think it`s a money thing.

Social source share

To keep a website of this size does cost money. So does anyone know why it is not working. Which is the original question, updates do not take days(usually)?

There was an explanation earlier dunc.

Social source share

Can they move this to another server?? Maybe some folks would like to pitch in on the server fees?? A SAVE THE SOULCLUB FUND!! Who would like to head this up??

Social source share

Asked Atom what was up with site he says.....

I'm sure ATOM went through problems like this before, last year I suggested to him that there are enough users of his site that would be willing to pay a subscribtion to help him maintain the site.

I would sign up to help keep this great resource alive......

alan

Social source share

would be a great shame if soulclub ended, very useful.

does anyone like jo wallace or adey c know what the legal score is in making deleted records like these available free of charge? it can't be the same, at least in practical terms, as providing as medium which competes with pay-for media on cuirrent releases, surely (though it may be the same in legal terms)?

as for tapes and cds, brett, and also soulclub, i'm very anti bootleggers making money out of other people's work (usually poor as f*** people, at that) but can't see any problem with people taping sounds and passing them round free of charge. it's not like you're stitching up a source where you can buy the stuff legitimately (though it changes when you bring kent reissue stuff, for example, into the picture).

Social source share

does anyone like jo wallace or adey c know what the legal score is in making deleted records like these available free of charge? it can't be the same, at least in practical terms, as providing as medium which competes with pay-for media on cuirrent releases, surely (though it may be the same in legal terms)?

as for tapes and cds, brett, and also soulclub, i'm very anti bootleggers making money out of other people's work (usually poor as f*** people, at that) but can't see any problem with people taping sounds and passing them round free of charge. it's not like you're stitching up a source where you can buy the stuff legitimately (though it changes when you bring kent reissue stuff, for example, into the picture).

You can't legal make deleted records free of charge, the best legal and free way to make these avaliable is as 30" streams, in the same way that Amazon and other websites do. I've been a massive user of the Soulclub and for reference for rare soul there's nothing to get anywhere near it, however Manship's website does host quite a large number of sound clips.

The copyright organisations are really only just getting to grips with the 'on-line' issue. It's not that they aren't concerned with small un-licensed on-line websites, but compared to the current size of some of the operations of bootleg commercial CD/DVD suppliers, this is where the most most effort is put.

TTM

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Had a legal challenge to this when I worked for Virgin.

We were putting new tracks online for streaming.

People have a fear born from ignorance with online stuff. It's easier to tape something off the radio than it is to record from streaming media but nobody bans radio stations from playing their tracks.

Anyway, the upshot was it wasn't illegal for us to publish so as long as it was streaming media with no download option and we paid our annual contribution to the MCPS/PRS (which is cheap as chips).

Charge a subscription, pay your bills. Probably a lot easier said than done but it removes the risk does it not?

That said, no doubt someone would bootleg the subscription site and issue it on cheap lookalike URLs within the week. :huh:

Social source share

The server costs money, while one can grab hardware cheap for a home PC from the local box shifter, hardware of this quality and with the performance required to run a site of this nature is not cheap.

Hosting the server in a data center with good connectivity and covering the fees associated with the traffic is also not cheap if one wants guarentees on performance.

Sure I could host it at some very discount webhoster, but you'd need to ask Nick R about his experiences keeping his site up before I gave him space on my server.

Last year when I had other problems I had a few people email me asking about the problems and I had one person (Alan?) mention something about subscriptions. I didn't see anyone offer to help in terms of their time or their money and I haven't this time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining about the money, I've ran this site for years and never asked for anything and I don't now.

In terms of the legalities ... the enforcing body for recorded music is the RIAA and they only protect subscribing artists, those that are deleted or unknown or non-subscribers are not protected. I have had emails from various artists :huh: and none have expressed any dissatisfaction to me about their tracks on my site, most have been very supportive. There is also a question as to if streaming audio, which is what I do, is even illegal, but if I started requiring subscriptions or doing the google/yahoo adverts and making some money to cover my expenses then I would possibly stand differently from a legality point of view. Another reason why I remain semi-anonymous.

Social source share

there's been a framework for a sounds reference system in background for a while on here, and was earmarked for a appearance once other things out of way

issues of copyright is always the main concern, however thinking was to have a reference collection of clips (no full versions) that is fully dynamic, and intergrated with site so scans, comments etc can be added and is searchable etc etc etc and where possible a link to cds the track is offically avaialble

similar to the long running collection on deep funk

idea being a worthwhile reference tool

any thoughts, as always feel free

as said it is setup and current site thinking is will annouce a trial version in next day

ta

mike

]

Social source share