Accentuate The Positive

Guest Paul Brennan

Guest Paul Brennan

Just picking up on a sentiment expressed by Winnie on a different thread about current negativity on the scene.

Probably guilty of a little bit of this myself at times - when dispariing of the direction the scene seems to be going in, plus the fact that oldies venues are rammed, and up front venues are scratching for attendees. However, ignoring all of this I know we will never have the utopian scene/society that deep down the majority of us yearn for, but if we can just remember the effect that our words and expressions have on soul source and on the scene in general then perhaps we should all try to be a little more positive.

Our scene, and it is our scene, it is not just in the power and control of a small clique, it is a truly wonderful scene far better in many. many ways than most other scenes I have had involvment with

The soul source site itself, the information about our music that we love, about the venues etc, where we can go and listen to the music we love and meet up with similar like minded people is incredible and we should be truly appreciative of the efforts that Mike and his team of mods put in, however they seem to spend an awful lot of time expending valuable energy on mediating in petty disputes (I do not absolve myself of blame in this area)

I know this is not Height/Ashbury in San Franciso late sixties cos we all know what happend to them but perhaps we all need to show a little more understanding and tolerence of each others soulful preferences. Let us not turn inward on each other and destroy this magnificent scene that we have helped to create.

Good night and god bless

Paul

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just picking up on a sentiment expressed by Winnie on a different thread about current negativity on the scene.

Probably guilty of a little bit of this myself at times - when dispariing of the direction the scene seems to be going in, plus the fact that oldies venues are rammed, and up front venues are scratching for attendees. However, ignoring all of this I know we will never have the utopian scene/society that deep down the majority of us yearn for, but if we can just remember the effect that our words and expressions have on soul source and on the scene in general then perhaps we should all try to be a little more positive.

Our scene, and it is our scene, it is not just in the power and control of a small clique, it is a truly wonderful scene far better in many. many ways than most other scenes I have had involvment with

The soul source site itself, the information about our music that we love, about the venues etc, where we can go and listen to the music we love and meet up with similar like minded people is incredible and we should be truly appreciative of the efforts that Mike and his team of mods put in, however they seem to spend an awful lot of time expending valuable energy on mediating in petty disputes (I do not absolve myself of blame in this area)

I know this is not Height/Ashbury in San Franciso late sixties cos we all know what happend to them but perhaps we all need to show a little more understanding and tolerence of each others soulful preferences. Let us not turn inward on each other and destroy this magnificent scene that we have helped to create.

Good night and god bless

Paul

Very well put Paul,elloquent and succinct(absolution is yours my son) wink.gif

ATB Salmon

Social source share

Missed this last night & was actualy talking to Paul around the time he must have put it up.

Nice post & i have to say talking with him made me remember that apart from the fantastic music it was the camaraderie at places that was addictive too ! You could strike up a conversation with almost anyone from anywhere in the country & end up talking like you knew them all your life.

It's the same in the main on here apart from the odd catfight, & thought it might be a good idea to add to this thread, maybe if you feel like it each put a positive up about a fellow Sourcer ?

Will start the ball rolling, Loads & loads who i admire on here ! & the knowledge of rare soul that a lot of people share is just astounding to me ! I could quite easily have put up Paul who started this thread, or anyone of those who have just been having a laugh in the 'Would you play this ?' thread too :rolleyes: But my nomination is ;

BAZ ATKINSON ! Don't know him apart from Soulsource, But I can't ever remember seeing a negative comment from him ! Always willing to share knowledge, & if you go into the Sales & Wants you will always see him helping peoples sales by recomending tunes & pointing out good prices. And that is to everyone not just people he knows !

So i big it up for BAZ ! Great Soul Sourcer thumbsup.gif

Hope i haven't embarresed you Baz, & hope this dosen't go tits up :D

Social source share

Good night and god bless

Paul

We are lucky, there's no doubt and I think, personally the positives far outweigh the negatives. I believe that the people on the scene are extremely passionate about it and it is this passion that causes the odd conflict, which i guess is only human. Conflict is after all described as " to be at odds with or a difference of opinions" People desperately want to get their point of view accross, which is good. What is bad is when it degenerates in to a slanging match and as you say Paul thank goodness for Mike and the Mods. I too find myself tut tutting at some of the comments but remind myself for me it's about the music and how much i love it in all of it's forms.

As I've said before in other posts the knowledge, experience and willingness to help on here is astounding regrdless of whether it's your first post or your 1000th post.

There's no one person for me that needs thanking but every one on here without whom it would be pretty dull and i don't mind saying, without soulsource there would be a void.

gary

Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

Aye keeps me Bucanners under me buckin 'at.

quite a tricky one to come back to that Joe...............however, I remember the time in my HIPPY days when I was pressed ganged into service on a pirate ship, forced into walking the plank,

I made desparate attempt to swim to shore, soon ran into difficulties and looked to be in danger of drowning,

Mississipppi saw the problem and alerted the coastguard, who promptly did nothing at all, eventually WASHED ASHORE, gasping for breath etc Asked coastgard why they had done feck all to save me , they said they had thought about it, but upon seeing I was a HIPPY...............realised

I was too far out man!!! BOOM BOOM!!!

taoc ym teg lliw I

Paul

Edited by Paul Brennan
Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

Very well put Paul,elloquent and succinct(absolution is yours my son) :lol:

ATB Salmon

Thank you Father.

for my sins I have said 3 Hail Mary's and 1 Our Father :D

Paul

(Will I see you at Bury tonight Salmon, quite a few of Heywood/Rochdale crowd going, should be a good one thumbsup.gif

Social source share

In actual fact has there ever been a time on the NS Scene where it was not like it is today?

It goes hand in hand with having a group of people who think they are better than everyone else, have better music than everyone else, better style, better knowledge, better everything.

When theres no one else to fight or bitch over, they turn on each other to break down into smaller groups internally with tighter limits of acceptance. Only 60s or only modern, etc etc.

I love it........................................ Keep the faith and remember we are the CHOSEN ones.

Ed

Social source share

maybe if you feel like it each put a positive up about a fellow Sourcer ?

I nominate Roger aka 45Cellar, the Look At Your Box section would be a shadow of itself without him and the hundreds of brilliant scans he puts up in answer to peoples queries, nobody ever really thanks him for doing all that research and work so I will - well done mate it is very much appreciated.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Missed this last night & was actualy talking to Paul around the time he must have put it up.

Nice post & i have to say talking with him made me remember that apart from the fantastic music it was the camaraderie at places that was addictive too ! You could strike up a conversation with almost anyone from anywhere in the country & end up talking like you knew them all your life.

It's the same in the main on here apart from the odd catfight, & thought it might be a good idea to add to this thread, maybe if you feel like it each put a positive up about a fellow Sourcer ?

Will start the ball rolling, Loads & loads who i admire on here ! & the knowledge of rare soul that a lot of people share is just astounding to me ! I could quite easily have put up Paul who started this thread, or anyone of those who have just been having a laugh in the 'Would you play this ?' thread too :D But my nomination is ;

BAZ ATKINSON ! Don't know him apart from Soulsource, But I can't ever remember seeing a negative comment from him ! Always willing to share knowledge, & if you go into the Sales & Wants you will always see him helping peoples sales by recomending tunes & pointing out good prices. And that is to everyone not just people he knows !

So i big it up for BAZ ! Great Soul Sourcer thumbsup.gif

Hope i haven't embarresed you Baz, & hope this dosen't go tits up :lol:

VERY NICE WORDS THANKYOU,MY VIEW IS SIMPLE ,NOBODY INCLUDING THE NUMEROUS CLICKS OWN THIS SCENE ITS ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC,MY VIEW FROM A COLLECTORS POINT OF VIEW IS SHARE THE MUSIC ,IVE COLLECTED SINCE 1979 AND HAVE ANICE COLLECTION,WHY NOT PASS THAT KNOWLEDGE ON,FOR EVERY BIG EGO THERE WILL BE ANOTHER 10 WILLING TO SHARE.THIS IS A GOOD THREAD BECAUSE THE INFIGHTING AND THE SCRAMBLE FOR PUNTERS TAKE THE EMPHASIS OFF THE MUSIC ,MY VIEW IS IT IS THE MUSIC FIRST AND FOREMOST AND I AM HAPPY TO SHARE WHAT I HAVE AMASSED,DONT CARE WHAT OTHERS THINK OF THAT TO BE HONEST!

BAZ A

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

I nominate Roger aka 45Cellar, the Look At Your Box section would be a shadow of itself without him and the hundreds of brilliant scans he puts up in answer to peoples queries, nobody ever really thanks him for doing all that research and work so I will - well done mate it is very much appreciated.

I`ll second that!!spot on.

Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

Will start the ball rolling, Loads & loads who i admire on here ! & the knowledge of rare soul that a lot of people share is just astounding to me ! I could quite easily have put up Paul who started this thread, or anyone of those who have just been having a laugh in the 'Would you play this ?' thread too :lol: But my nomination is ;

So i big it up for BAZ ! Great Soul Sourcer :thumbsup:

Hope i haven't embarresed you Baz, & hope this dosen't go tits up :yes:

Good job you did'nt Bogue or else people would have deffo thought you were taking the p*ss (would have been swing your daddy - part 2)

Baz Atkinson, very good choice though.....top bloke :lol:

Also as correctly pointed out by Simsy real topic starter is Winnie, credit were credits due :yes:

(although Baz is from the North East and Winnie is a lefty so they ain't perfect are they) :lol::lol: don't let on I said that bit though strictly between the two of us, cannot put a negative on here now or I will be in for it)

Think I would find it difficult to single out one person for special praise as have learned much from many, but good to see true giants of the scene receiving appreciation for their efforts. :(

By the way how do you multi-quote now?

Best

Paul

Social source share

By the way how do you multi-quote now?

You click the 'quote' button below all the posts you want to quote then hit 'add reply' at the bottom and they'll all show up as quotes in the reply box.

Your ever helpful moderators :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

You click the 'quote' button below all the posts you want to quote then hit 'add reply' at the bottom and they'll all show up as quotes in the reply box.

Your ever helpful moderators :thumbsup:

Thanks Rachel, much appreciated.

Paul

Social source share

[quote

VERY NICE WORDS THANKYOU,MY VIEW IS SIMPLE ,NOBODY INCLUDING THE NUMEROUS CLICKS OWN THIS SCENE ITS ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC,MY VIEW FROM A COLLECTORS POINT OF VIEW IS SHARE THE MUSIC ,IVE COLLECTED SINCE 1979 AND HAVE ANICE COLLECTION,WHY NOT PASS THAT KNOWLEDGE ON,FOR EVERY BIG EGO THERE WILL BE ANOTHER 10 WILLING TO SHARE.THIS IS A GOOD THREAD BECAUSE THE INFIGHTING AND THE SCRAMBLE FOR PUNTERS TAKE THE EMPHASIS OFF THE MUSIC ,MY VIEW IS IT IS THE MUSIC FIRST AND FOREMOST AND I AM HAPPY TO SHARE WHAT I HAVE AMASSED,DONT CARE WHAT OTHERS THINK OF THAT TO BE HONEST!

BAZ A

Social source share

[quote

BAZ A

Nice brief acceptance speech Baz. :D

Jordi

:D:D:D .

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

What have I got to vote for...

Vote for me, I promise to do all you ask of me.

I am desparate, two votes behind Roger and either one, one and half or two behind Baz?

feel a bit like the Menzies Campbell, of this thread

take care

Paul

Social source share

Vote for me, I promise to do all you ask of me.

I am desparate, two votes behind Roger and either one, one and half or two behind Baz?

feel a bit like the Menzies Campbell, of this thread

take care

Paul

OK then , as you are nice I'll vote for you.

I barely knew you, but you still drove an hour out of your way to come and pick me up to take me to Lifeline :lol:

Your posts on soul-source are pretty w*nk though laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

OK then , as you are nice I'll vote for you.

I barely knew you, but you still drove an hour out of your way to come and pick me up to take me to Lifeline :thumbsup:

Your posts on soul-source are pretty w*nk though :thumbsup:

Think thats the nicest insult you have ever knocked me back with, thanks, you must be mellowing.

Paul

Social source share

whats there to be negative about, i am so lucky to have found the music and the scene and everyone one involved in it too, i cant stop smiling everyday when i wake up as i know the next tune and event is only around the corner,

great thread this Paul :P

One person i would say stands out for me is Pete Smith, top man who is always there with a wealth of info and advice and a top man too that never stops giving us more thumbsup.gif

funny thing is i aint meant a wrongun yet :wub: you all bloody brilliant in your own ways you bunch of weirdos :thumbsup:

Bearsy (worse for bloody wear thats for sure)

Social source share

I was at a local Soul night last night and the barman was in his early Twenties. Someone, and I never found out who :wub: told him I could explain Northern Soul to him :thumbsup::P

One of the things I did mention in amongst the rambling five minute potted history that I gave him was how friendly the scene was, and how people were accepted on the scene, no matter how strange they were :wub::wub::wub:

Mind you, I've got a theory about why there are so many oddballs and decidedly wierd people on the Northern scene. If you think about some of the strangest people you have met, and then ask yourself what would happen to them in a normal nighclub scene....Yep, they'd get a kicking, regularly ! But we just accept quite bizarre behaviour as normal on the Northern scene, and that's why they are with us

Question to self "Am I just as guilty of bizarre behaviour ?" Probably if you measure my social life against that of normal people ohmy.gif

What I'm really trying to say is that I have never come across a scene of any type that is so accepting of anyone, as long as they accept the scene. And that's a good thing !

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

I dont think ive met any strange people on this scene dave biggrin.gif ,must be going to the wrong clubs.This scene means a lot of different things to a lot of different people,we should get on with it lifes to short.

Social source share

I was at a local Soul night last night and the barman was in his early Twenties. Someone, and I never found out who :D told him I could explain Northern Soul to him :hypo::(

One of the things I did mention in amongst the rambling five minute potted history that I gave him was how friendly the scene was, and how people were accepted on the scene, no matter how strange they were :g::D:D

Mind you, I've got a theory about why there are so many oddballs and decidedly wierd people on the Northern scene. If you think about some of the strangest people you have met, and then ask yourself what would happen to them in a normal nighclub scene....Yep, they'd get a kicking, regularly ! But we just accept quite bizarre behaviour as normal on the Northern scene, and that's why they are with us

Question to self "Am I just as guilty of bizarre behaviour ?" Probably if you measure my social life against that of normal people :rolleyes:

What I'm really trying to say is that I have never come across a scene of any type that is so accepting of anyone, as long as they accept the scene. And that's a good thing !

:D:D - Brilliant Dave, LOL. Just the thing to read on a monday morning.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

whats there to be negative about, i am so lucky to have found the music and the scene and everyone one involved in it too, i cant stop smiling everyday when i wake up as i know the next tune and event is only around the corner,

great thread this Paul yes.gif

One person i would say stands out for me is Pete Smith, top man who is always there with a wealth of info and advice and a top man too that never stops giving us more :ohmy:

funny thing is i aint meant a wrongun yet :P you all bloody brilliant in your own ways you bunch of weirdos :lol:

Bearsy (worse for bloody wear thats for sure)

I'll Second that, Pete is Always there to help and advise.

11800 Posts plus and counting.

The Innercalm Videos a Legend, Why oh why did they remove the lot.

I won't mention which DVD footage,

but came to our rescue recently with a long deleated Film, Thanks Again Pete.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert