Just want to give everyone immediate 'heads up' on one of the most exciting Soul Music compilations in ages!
The long awaited "Steppin' Stone" CD is out now on Kent, featuring 22 tracks from the XL / Sounds of Memphis catalogue - 18 of which are previously unreleased!
As many on here will know, I've been banging on about and hammering extensively the marvellous, previously unreleased, Willie Walker "Run Around" and Willie Bollinger's "I Won't Have To Cry No More" for several months.
Never a day goes by without someone badgering me about these tracks - (Brett, Kev, Steve and Co, all your Christmases have come at once!).
I honestly believe the 'Willie' tracks to be two of the finest discoveries in years.
Walker's 'Run Around' is 'to die for' in every department - fabulous lyrics, perfect arrangement and stunning vocals while the rare vocal performance from William Bollinger on 'I Won't Have to Cry No More' is up there with the very best midtempo crossover discoveries (think Bobby Sheen 'Something New To Do' territory and calibre) - but there's really something on this compilation for everyone, with some truly fabulous deepies (the Donny Hathaway track by the Jacksonians is particularly magnificent) blended with more than a handful of blinding uptempo and funky stormers with some sublime Southern Soul in the form of the 'Just Soul' early hour fave Dan Greer "You're Slipping Away" and others.
This is the third in the 'XL and Sounds of Memphis' series and (as we've come to expect from Ace / Kent) it's superbly compiled and researched, with the accompanying well written sleevenotes, by Dean Rudland (an amazing job Dean ).
I can't recommend this CD enough and urge every living, breathing, Soul Music fan to grab yourself a copy right now, this minute!
I guarantee - you will not be disappointed.
Buy it here - for under a tenner!
1. IF YOU NEVER SEE ME - Willie Walker
2. I WON'T HAVE TO CRY NO MORE - William Bollinger
3. SATURDAY IN THE PARK - Jacksonians
4. HOOK LINE & SINKER - Minits
5. HOW CAN I GET NEXT TO YOU (ALT VOX) - George Jackson
6. I'M YOUR SLAVE - Otis Wheat
7. YOU'RE SLIPPING AWAY - Dan Greer
8. I LOVE YOU MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW -Jacksonians
9. PEOPLE ARE TALKING - William Bollinger
10. RUN AROUND - Willie Walker
11. LOVE LETTERS - Minits
12. SPARKLE EYES - The Jacksonians
13. ALWAYS TREAT YOUR WOMAN - Art Jerry Miller
14. CHIRPIN' - Lou Roberts
15. TAKE A LOOK AT YOURSELF - Dan Greer
16. LOVE TRYING TO COME - George Jackson
17. LOVE IS BLIND - Erma Shaw
18. STEPPIN STONE - Louis Williams
19. LOVER BOY - Minits
20. GUESSING GAME - Jimi Hill
21. BECAUSE OF YOU - Tekelia Kelly
22. THE PLUMBER - Ovations