Off-centered 45, Help

Hi!

I just got a nearly mint copy of T&T- "Something on my mind" 45, problem is that it's off-centered, does anybody know any way of re-centering off-centered 45's?

Pleeease...I'm almost crying...

TIA

Eduard

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest alison

Hi!

I just got a nearly mint copy of T&T- "Something on my mind" 45, problem is that it's off-centered, does anybody know any way of re-centering off-centered 45's?

Pleeease...I'm almost crying...

TIA

Eduard

link

This can work if the centre slightly large as well as off centre. Mould a tiny piece of blu-tack within the edge of the centre, and use a metal solid centre to play it (not one thats too tight obviously) Takes a bit of trial and error until you get it in the right place but it can help make it playable.

If that doesn't do the job, return it to the dealer/seller - it's a record that you should be able to find again.

Social source share

I have a copy of Will Collins on Bareback which is off centre, I just take the insert out and adjust by hand when ever I play it out.

link

Hi!

I've just stuck a cardboard piece in the center and i've dug a hole on what's supposed to be the real center and it sounds better, may i calculate where's the exact center of it, will try to measure it properly, not very good at maths though...

BTW, very sorry about yesterday's London bombings, we had our own share of it in Madrid and it's was a national tragedy.

Best!

Eduard

Social source share

Guest alison

Hi!

I've just stuck a cardboard piece in the center and i've dug a hole on what's supposed to be the real center and it sounds better, may i calculate where's the exact center of it, will try to measure it properly, not very good at maths though...

BTW, very sorry about yesterday's London bombings, we had our own share of it in Madrid and it's was a national tragedy.

Best!

Eduard

link

Draw round the edge of the centre of a record that is centred properly on a piece of paper, then place the off centre one on top - should show you where it needs correcting.

Social source share

Draw round the edge of the centre of a record that is centred properly on a piece of paper, then place the off centre one on top - should show you where it needs correcting.

link

Hi, Alison!

Err...thanks, i'm a bit thick sometimes

Best!

Eduard

Social source share

A tricky one and probably needs a bit of practice (Max, a friend of mine showed me this, mind he´s also called the vinyl-doctor)

And this is if it is heavily off centred:

Do as described in posted message over here, mark out with a perfect record or piece of paper where the right centered hole should be.

Cut out the bit thats needs to be removed with a surgical/hobby razorblade, then glue that piece back on the oposite side from where it was cut out, voila! U moved the center to where it should be.

He did this on a record for me wich was unplayable and is now playing perfectly, (will try to get it scanned to show u properly.)

Best C

Social source share

have you tried putting in a plasticcentre or spider as we call it in the trade,you need to find which part is off centre,click the adaptor in and file out a piece on the opposite side,you need a tiny file to do this,failing all of this,ask for a refund

Mick

Social source share

A tricky one and probably needs a bit of practice (Max, a friend of mine showed me this, mind he´s also called the vinyl-doctor)

Do as described in posted message over here, mark out with a perfect record or piece of paper where the right centered hole should be.

Cut out the bit thats needs to be removed with a surgical/hobby razorblade, then glue that piece back on the oposite side from where it was cut out, voila! U moved the center to where it should be.

He did this on a record for me wich was unplayable and is now playing perfectly, (will try to get it scanned to show u properly.)

Best C

link

This works - I did it with a stanley knife on Johnny Bartel - If this isn't love and sold it for £50

Social source share

Best C

link

Hi, Cesar!

Thanks for the tip, will try it and try not to hurt myself (yes, i'm that clumpsy)

Best!

Eduard

Social source share

Just place the 45 adapter over the record after you have centered it on a revolving deck, using the record arm as a guide (when it aint swaying, it's centered!) then with 45 adaptor placed over record you can draw round adaptor with fine point pen... then next time you wanna play it, position record on deck with adaptor lined up using mark on record... well it works with me! :D

Social source share

link

That sounds a bit complicated Alison - especially after 6 or 7 pints. Ow about just stick it on the deck, centre by hand and play the f*c*er. Works for me ev'rytime.

Girfy

Social source share

Hi!

I just got a nearly mint copy of T&T- "Something on my mind" 45, problem is that it's off-centered,

biggrin.gif Why not do what Brian Rae Used to do with his off centered

"Epitome of Sound's" "You Don't Love Me" Just play it as it is ! :D

Jon Buck

Edited by jonbuck
Social source share

Guest alison

That sounds a bit complicated Alison - especially after 6 or 7 pints. Ow about just stick it on the deck, centre by hand and play the f*c*er. Works for me ev'rytime.

Girfy

link

I've always like the Blue Peter approach G-Baby laugh.gif I made a Tracey Island you know and I'm a dab hand at leopard skin covered record boxes :D

Social source share

I have a slightly off centre copy of Neil Reid. I like the idea of the cutting one side of the hole off and sticking it on the other but I'm far to noivus to try it :-(

The marking of a spider sounds good tho.

Social source share

I have a slightly off centre copy of Neil Reid. I like the idea of the cutting one side of the hole off and sticking it on the other but I'm far to noivus to try it :-(

The marking of a spider sounds good tho.

link

I bet "Mother Of Mine" sounds just as horrendous off-centre as it does properly centred up!

Social source share

Not if you crank it up by + 7. It sounds like Barbara Redd singing a version of "The Snake" through a blanket.

Now where's that Jerry Monroe northern 45 I had....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert