I Believe In Miracles - Mark Capanni

• Replies 124
  • Views 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

We've seen the frenzy over his rendition of I Believe in Miracles. Well Moerer has really struck gold this time with his version on "A Day In The Blue" which is the other side of the UK Mums release of the Jackson Sisters.

If you though Miracles was bad, listen to the sound bite on this......

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item51930989b0

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

We've seen the frenzy over his rendition of I Believe in Miracles. Well Moerer has really struck gold this time with his version on "A Day In The Blue" which is the other side of the UK Mums release of the Jackson Sisters.

HE DON'T MISS A TRICK DOES HE, THERE WAS AN ISSUE OF THIS ON EBAY LAST WEEK WITH A 60 QUID START. BACKED WITH LIFE IS A FERRIS WHEEL. BOTH SIDES ARE EQUALLY MEDIOCRE, THINK SOMEBODY BID ON THAT ANORL :P AT LEAST ITS GOT A SUB TENNER START AND SURELY THATS ALL ITS WORTH OR IS IT JUST DREAM BUYERS PRETENDING IT'S HIS OTHER SLIGHTLY LESS COMMON OUTING rolleyes.gif

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

Well Moerer has really struck gold this time with his version on "A Day In The Blue" which is the other side of the UK Mums release of the Jackson Sisters.

All 3 of Mark Capanni's recordings are in refosoul. All are good (especially "If Life Was A Ferris Wheel" which is phenomenal). I don't quite get why people think of them - or try to make them into - soul recordings though? They've got far more in common with the west coast / AOR stuff from about the same time by J.D. Souther, Jackson Browne and especially Ned Doheny. I don't think Capanni's goal was to out-do Tyrone Davis that day inte studio when he cut those tracks!

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

All 3 of Mark Capanni's recordings are in refosoul. All are good (especially "If Life Was A Ferris Wheel" which is phenomenal). I don't quite get why people think of them - or try to make them into - soul recordings though? They've got far more in common with the west coast / AOR stuff from about the same time by J.D. Souther, Jackson Browne and especially Ned Doheny. I don't think Capanni's goal was to out-do Tyrone Davis that day inte studio when he cut those tracks!

Sebastian, you've hit the nail on the head and I think that's what peoples bugbears are with his records. His songs have been recorded by soul/black artists and as you said, it doesn't mean that his versions are soul, but its seeing them categorised as soul and people telling me its soul that doesn't sit very well with me.

Social source share

ALSO TYRONE DAVIS, BOBBY WOMACK AND THE LIKE..... MADE SOME ABYSMAL RECORDS, WHEREAS J D SOUTHER, HAMILTON ,JOE FRANK, AND JACKSON BROWNE MADE SOME GREAT ONES. MARK CAPANNI'S TWO ON THAT DISC ARE BOTH AVERAGE AT BEST, I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES IS SLIGHTLY BETTER (IMHO) WHICH IS NOT SWAYED BY ANY BLACK MUSIC CONNECTION I MIGHT ADD.

BRI PINCH

Edited by bri pinch
Social source share

Also Bobby Taylor was co-writer on "Miracles"! It obviously must have been written in L.A. not long after "There Are Roses Somewhere In This World" which ups it's Soul credentials slightly LOL....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Not doubting you at all Ian but have just played the Robbie Danzie version & the writers are credited as Mark Capanni & JAMES TAYLOR, not Bobby Taylor.

Probably an error but you never know???

Social source share

ALSO TYRONE DAVIS, BOBBY WOMACK AND THE LIKE..... MADE SOME ABYSMAL RECORDS, WHEREAS J D SOUTHER, HAMILTON ,JOE FRANK, AND JACKSON BROWNE MADE SOME GREAT ONES. MARK CAPANNI'S TWO ON THAT DISC ARE BOTH AVERAGE AT BEST, I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES IS SLIGHTLY BETTER (IMHO) WHICH IS NOT SWAYED BY ANY BLACK MUSIC CONNECTION I MIGHT ADD.

BRI PINCH

It's all down to personal opinion surely Bri? I think it's a production masterpiece and a magnificent song. I far prefer it to the Jackson Sisters which has always sounded messy to my ears, even during the Rare Groove years. As I said earlier in the thread, it merely follows the tradition of an ultra rare decent blue-eyed Soul tune. Some will like it, some won't.......still someone just forked over a grand for an original and Jazzman's reissued it so presumably there's a few out there who like it.

Also I more or less concurr with Sebastian that Mark Capanni is merely following the tradition of other West Coast blue-eyed 'Soulful' vocalists like Ned Doheny and Boz Scaggs etc.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Not doubting you at all Ian but have just played the Robbie Danzie version & the writers are credited as Mark Capanni & JAMES TAYLOR, not Bobby Taylor.

Probably an error but you never know???

Oh, I do know Martin (smartass that I am):-

Composer/AuthorTAYLOR, BOBBY 63481773 BMI Non SocietyComposer/AuthorCAPANNI, MARK 69067159 BMI Non SocietyOriginal PublisherMARY MAR 239319849 BMI AMRASub PublisherGEMINI SONGS 270068579 PRSFinal OwnerMCPS

You still haven't forgiven me for closing my set on Saturday with Jean Carn have ya? :laugh:

Ian D :D

Social source share

It's all down to personal opinion surely Bri? I think it's a production masterpiece and a magnificent song. I far prefer it to the Jackson Sisters which has always sounded messy to my ears, even during the Rare Groove years. As I said earlier in the thread, it merely follows the tradition of an ultra rare decent blue-eyed Soul tune. Some will like it, some won't.......still someone just forked over a grand for an original and Jazzman's reissued it so presumably there's a few out there who like it.

Also I more or less concurr with Sebastian that Mark Capanni is merely following the tradition of other West Coast blue-eyed 'Soulful' vocalists like Ned Doheny and Boz Scaggs etc.

Ian D biggrin.gif

This okay to my ears.......not amazing but okay.Probably an ender (bit expensive for an ender although I class Pyramid as an ender and thats a few quid).Now Boz Scaggs You Make It So Hard is in another class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7PM84eCiMI

Social source share

This okay to my ears.......not amazing but okay.Probably an ender (bit expensive for an ender although I class Pyramid as an ender and thats a few quid).Now Boz Scaggs You Make It So Hard is in another class.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=p7PM84eCiMI

Definitely an ender for me Kev. If I'd had that in '75 it would have worked like a dream with the Voices Of East Harlem, Anderson Brothers and others of that ilk.......and I've still got the UK demo of Boz on my shelves 40 years later but only ever played it on the radio show.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

OF COURSE IT IS IAN, ALL OF THAT IS QUITE OBVOUS, AT NO POINT HAVE I SAID THAT HIS VERSION OF IBIM IS A BAD RECORD. I'M NOT TOO FOND OF HIS OTHER TWO RECORDINGS THO. AM JUST AMAZED THIS DISC HAS CREATED ALL THIS FUSS AFTER ALL THESE YEARS. :D

REGARDS, BRI PINCH.

Social source share

OF COURSE IT IS IAN, ALL OF THAT IS QUITE OBVOUS, AT NO POINT HAVE I SAID THAT HIS VERSION OF IBIM IS A BAD RECORD. I'M NOT TOO FOND OF HIS OTHER TWO RECORDINGS THO. AM JUST AMAZED THIS DISC HAS CREATED ALL THIS FUSS AFTER ALL THESE YEARS. :D

REGARDS, BRI PINCH.

Let's get this into perspective.. An orig version has turned up of an Overplayed ( all be it great record) It gives the chin strokers something to yap about whilst every one else tut tutts.

Social source share

Can't make it Tony. I've just found out that I have the symptons of severe Garlic poisoning so I guess tonight's out mate.....

But I will buy you a pint at the EMS do!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Your on the flyer with Winstanly!! Northern soul comes to Southend. Though we've been doing it for years. (remember Dick Coombes)

Social source share

Ya might be the smartass Ian but at least I had a room to go back totongue.giflaugh.gif

Yep, guess you got me there. hatsoff2.gif

What is it with these Morecambe guest house owners anyway? Anyone would think they'd never seen hookers, trans-sexual dwarfs or crack-pipes before for God's sake.......laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest Lupine Assassin

A few days ago, I ran across his MySpace page https://www.myspace.com/markcapanni and was blown away. The first 3 songs there appear to be rough demos or basic tracks for his 3 songs. Listening to them, it's apparent the tape suffered some damage; hopefully the tape used isn't the only copy in existence.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert