nrc

• Replies 30
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just a quicky, Who was the person responsible for those Jayboy re-releases in the early seventies. Stuff like Try a little harder-Fi-Dels

Someone on here will know all the details im sure ,,,,but im sure they where something todo with Preisdent records in their early days!!

Its also legend that Jeff King knew someone at President who helped with the manufacture of the now Legendary Soulsounds the first ever bootlegs made for the Rare Soul Scene,,, the term Northern Soul was yet to be used !!!

Nige B

Social source share

Your right Nige

The label was owned by President records run by David Kassner and began issuing records in 1968 with Doris Willingham's ' You Can't Do That' being their first release. They went onto release over 100 singles throughout the late 60s and 70s.

Pete

Social source share

Jay BoyBOY1Doris WillingtonYou Can't Do That Lost Again

Jay BoyBOY2The ShadrocksThere Is Jigsaw

Jay BoyBOY3The CountrymenAfter All White Rose Of Athens

Jay BoyBOY4The Migil 5If I Had My Way Somebody's Stolen The Moon1968

Jay BoyBOY5The HogsIt's All Coming To Me Now Motor Cycle Rider1969

Jay BoyBOY6Chords FiveSome People Battersea Fair1969

Jay BoyBOY7Mike QuinnToothbrush Nell Fairy Cakes (For Tea)1969

Jay BoyBOY8Dee and The

QuotumSomeday You'll Need Someone Send Some Flowers To Julie

Jay BoyBOY9Lyones and MaloneDoctor Gentle She's Alright1969

Jay BoyBOY10Shelly PaulThe Clowns Are Coming In Take Me To Your Heart

Jay BoyBOY11The Annie

Rocket BandA Little Smile On Christmas Morning Apology For Living

Jay BoyBOY12E.K. BunchBanana Free

Jay BoyBOY13Rough RidersBoss President House

Jay BoyBOY14The Bed BugsFreedom Sound A Message To You

Jay BoyBOY15The AlterationsWork It Up Work, Rest And Play

Jay BoyBOY16The SugarlumpsSugar Sugar Can't We Be Friends

Jay BoyBOY17GaslightMove And So To Sleep

Jay BoyBOY18The RoundtableSaturday Gigue Scarborough Fair

Jay BoyBOY19The SwampThat's The Way I Like It Reggae 70

Jay BoyBOY20The SugarlumpsSatan's People Shame Shame

Jay BoyBOY21Niyah and The SunflakesTwo Little Boys Holding On

Jay BoyBOY22Ray MerrellTears Of Joy Searching

Jay BoyBOY23The Complete CycleI'm On The Road Again Back On The Road Again1970

Jay BoyBOY24The InvitationsHow'd We Ever Get This Way Picking Up1970

Jay BoyBOY25Bob and EarlHarlem Shuffle Send For Me, I'll Be There

Jay BoyBOY26Jackie LeeThe Shotgun And The Duck Do The Temptation Walk1970

Jay BoyBOY27The OlympicsHully Gully Big Boy Pete

Jay BoyBOY28Jackie LeeWould You Believe You're Everything

Jay BoyBOY29The HideawaysHide Out Jolly Joe

Jay BoyBOY30The SheppardsHow Do You Like It Stubborn Heart

Jay BoyBOY31Richard TempleThat Beatin' Rhythm Could It Be

Jay BoyBOY32Donald HeightTalk Of The Grapevine There'll Be No Tomorrow

Jay BoyBOY33Jerry OKarate-Boo-Ga-Loo The Pearl

Jay BoyBOY34Freddie ScottJust Like A Flower Spanish Harlem

Jay BoyBOY35Jackie MooreDear John Here I Am

Jay BoyBOY36Erma FranklinI'm Just Not Ready For Love The Right To Cry

Jay BoyBOY37Phillip MitchellI'm Gonna Build California From All Over The World The World Needs More People Like You

Jay BoyBOY38The ExcitersSoul Motion You Know It Ain't Right1971

Jay BoyBOY39Charles LeonardFunky Driver On A Funky Bus - Part 1 Funky Driver On A Funky Bus - Part 2

Jay BoyBOY40The Liberty BellesShing-A-Ling Time Just Try Me

Jay BoyBOY41Erma FranklinPiece Of My Heart Big Boss Man

Jay BoyBOY42The Dreams The Dreams Band(They Call Me) Jessie James - featuring Keni Lewis Charge

Jay BoyBOY43Virgil GriffinLa Da Da Da Da Climbing

Jay BoyBOY44The Blues BustersI Can't Stop Inspired To Love You

Jay BoyBOY45The BaronsSociety, Don't Let Us Down No More Baby Love

Jay BoyBOY46Randolph WalkerI Love Her More Good Ole Soul

Jay BoyBOY47Howard JohnsonSlide That Magic Touch Can Send You Flying

Jay BoyBOY48George Torrence and The Naturals(Mamma Come Quick And Bring Your) Lickin' Stick So Long, Good Bye

Jay BoyBOY49Charles LattimoreDo The Thing We Try Harder

Jay BoyBOY50Shan MilesSoul People - Part 1 Soul People - Part 2

Jay BoyBOY51Donald HeightThree Hundred And Sixty Five Days I'm Willing To Wait

Jay BoyBOY52Jackie Lee and Dolores HallWhether It's Right Or Wrong Baby I'm Satisfied

Jay BoyBOY53Jerry-OFunky Boo-Ga-Loo Push Push

Jay BoyBOY54George FreemanI'm Like A Fish Why Are You Doing This To Me

Jay BoyBOY55Billy YoungI'm Available A Sweet Woman

Jay BoyBOY56The OlympicsBaby, Do The Philly Dog Secret Agents

Jay BoyBOY57Phillip MitchellFree For All (Winner Takes All My Love) Flower Child

Jay BoyBOY58Ernie and EdBeautiful World Indication

Jay BoyBOY59Freddie ScottAre You Lonely For Me Baby The Love Of My Woman

Jay BoyBOY60Donald HeightI Can't Get Enough We Gotta Make Up

Jay BoyBOY61The FurysWhat Is Soul I Lost My Baby

Jay BoyBOY62Jerry ODance What Cha Wanna Afro-Twist Time (Um-Gow-Wow)

Jay BoyBOY63Lou and Laura PooleOnly You Know And I Know Look At Me

Jay BoyBOY64Jimmy ConwellCigarette Ashes Second Hand Happiness

Jay BoyBOY65The MirettesNow That I Found You, Baby He's All Right With Me

Jay BoyBOY66Jackie Lee Oh, My Darlin' Don't Be Ashamed

Jay BoyBOY67Jimmy Thomas Where There's A Will Just Tryin' To Please You

Jay BoyBOY68The Furys I'm Satisfied With You Just A Little Mixed Up

Jay BoyBOY69The Fi-DelsTry A Little Harder You Never Do Right (My Baby)

Jay BoyBOY70Donnie Elbert Half As Old Baby Let Me Love You Tonite

Jay BoyBOY71The Watts 103rd St. Rhythm BandSpreadin' Honey Charley

Jay BoyBOY72Bob and Earl I Can't Get Away I'll Keep Running Back

Jay BoyBOY73The Bob and Earl Band My Little Girl His And Her Shuffle

Jay BoyBOY74The OlympicsThe Same Old Thing I'll Do A Little Bit More

Jay BoyBOY75Bobby Womack What Is This? I Wonder

Jay BoyBOY76Jackie Lee African Boo-Ga-Loo Bring It Home

Jay BoyBOY77Delores Hall Good Lovin' Man W-O-M-A-N

Jay BoyBOY78Clay Hammond Dance Little Girl Twin Brother

Jay BoyBOY79Little Wayne Anthony Hey Man Freedom To Love

Jay BoyBOY80K.C. and The Sunshine BandBlow Your Whistle I'm Gonna Do Something Good To You

Jay BoyBOY81Miami featuring Moore Party Freaks Part 2

Jay BoyBOY82AlleySinging In Poverty Tip Toe

Jay BoyBOY83K.C. and The Sunshine Band Sound Your Funky Horn Why Don't We Get Together

Jay BoyBOY84Afro Dimensions If You Don't Want My Love Just Because

Jay BoyBOY85George Mc Crae Rock Your Baby Part 2

Jay BoyBOY86Miami Hey Ya'll We're Miami Chicken Yellow

Jay BoyBOY87Ruby Wilson and The Chips Number One In My Heart I'll Be Right Here (When You Return)

Jay BoyBOY88K.C. and The Sunshine Band Queen Of Clubs Do It Good

Jay BoyBOY89The Sunshine BandShotgun Shuffle Hey J

Jay BoyBOY90George Mc CraeI Can't Leave You Alone You Got My Heart

Jay BoyBOY91 [not issued]

Jay BoyBOY92George Mc CraeYou Can Have It All Make It Right

Jay BoyBOY93K.C. and The

Sunshine BandGet Down Tonight You Don't Know

Jay BoyBOY94Willie and AnthonySugar, Sugar, Sugar It's Never Too Late

Jay BoyBOY95George Mc CraeSing A Happy Song I Get Lifted

Jay BoyBOY96MiamiFunk It Up Freak On Down My Way

Jay BoyBOY97FireOh, That's My Man You Don't Know

Jay BoyBOY98Seven SeasSuper Jaws Pat's Jam

Jay BoyBOY99K.C. and The Sunshine BandThat's The Way I Like It Ain't Nothin' Wrong

Jay BoyBOY100George Mc CraeIt's Been So Long You Got To Know

Jay BoyBOY101K.C. and The Sunshine BandI'm So Crazy (Bout You) Boogie Shoes

Jay BoyBOY102Jacky BeaversTrying To Get Back To You, Girl Part 2

Jay BoyBOY103AlleyTruckload Tip Toe

Jay BoyBOY104The Sunshine BandRock Your Baby Sunshine City

Jay BoyBOY105George Mc CraeI Ain't Lyin' You Treat Me Good

Jay BoyBOY106Ruby WilsonA Man And A Baby Boy Sky High

Jay BoyBOY107George Mc CraeHoney I Take This Love Of Mine

Jay BoyBOY108Paul Revere and The RaidersAin't Nothin' Wrong You're Really Sayin' Something

Jay BoyBOY109FoxyGet Off You Aahh And Dance Part 2

Jay BoyBOY110K.C. and The Sunshine Band(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Body I'm A Pushover

Jay BoyBOY111MiamiKill That Roach Mr. Notorious

Jay BoyBOY112K.C. and The Sunshine BandKeep It Comin' Love Wrap Your Arms Around Me

Jay BoyBOY113AtlantisIt's Easy Who Loves You More

Jay BoyBOY114Beverly RobinsonDisco Dancing Menage A Trios

Jay BoyBOY115FlintThis Side Of Midnight Love Be A Shining Star

Jay BoyBOY116FlintRocket Love Teacher Teacher

Jay Boy

Jay BoyJBE500K.C. and The

Sunshine Band[EP] "I Like To Do It" I Like To Do It

Come On In Keep It Coming Love

Boogie Shoes197? P/S:Y

This is a list of singles issued by Jayboy Records (some pretty obsure items amongst them too)

Edited by Pete Jay
Social source share

Guest son of stan

Hi. Hope this isn't hijacking the thread but I've got Doris Willingham on US Jayboy which has always struck me as a bit odd. Did the US label beget the UK one or was it the other way round? Any other releases on US Jayboy?

p1000132um.th.jpg

(sorry, having technical troubles with images..if you click above it should work...)

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Hi. Hope this isn't hijacking the thread but I've got Doris Willingham on US Jayboy which has always struck me as a bit odd. Did the US label beget the UK one or was it the other way round? Any other releases on US Jayboy?

p1000132um.th.jpg

(sorry, having technical troubles with images..if you click above it should work...)

post-1986-12759082712332_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Just a quicky, Who was the person responsible for those Jayboy re-releases in the early seventies. Stuff like Try a little harder-Fi-Dels

And what UK label did the Fi-Dels come out before Jayboy then, always thought the Jayboy was the UK original issue.

Social source share

And what UK label did the Fi-Dels come out before Jayboy then, always thought the Jayboy was the UK original issue.

DJM

Social source share

Jayboy WAS the original UK issue and dates from 1972. It was also the only UK issue to use the same cut released on Keymen (you know, the cut with massive reverb all the way through).

The DJM issue dates from around 1976, and uses the cut that VeeJay reissued around that time.

Social source share

Jay Boy's David Kassner actually turned up at one of the early Heart Of England Soul Club All-Dayers at Coalville Tiffany's and brought along Jimmy Thomas to do a PA. His dad was UK music biz legend Ed Kassner, who had originally set up the President operation.

David gave away loads of free records that day as promotion for Jay Boy/President and was always easy to deal with.

And Jimmy also did a PA at the our very first Heart Of England Soul Club All-Dayer at The Ritz in Manchester. Not many people remember that.

Midlander David Yates was at DJM when they were based at Soho Square in 1976 and being aware of the Northern scene was responsible for the release of The Fi-Del via their licence deal with Vee Jay. I was staff writer for Black Echoes at the time and he set up an amazing night having dinner with and interviewing Johnny Guitar Watson and then seeing him peform.Johnny was happy to hear about his the Williams/Watson O'keh recordings being revered on the Northern scene and was quite a character.

I later licenced The Fi-Dels for Inferno and got it direct from Fred Smith. I think I said something different on Soul Source in the past about this, but have been going through some old paperwork and found a letter from and a contract signed by Fred.

Neil

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

p1000132um.th.jpg

It came out on US Jay Boy first. It does seem to be the only release on the US label.

They must have had high hopes for it, as it was advertised in 'Billboard' at the time...

Social source share

Thanks for all the info. I used to buy all the U.K. releases and obviously thought that maybe some d.j. or promoter on the scene at the time had got the rights to release them. Once again what a wealth of knowledge you lot are.

Thank you.

Social source share

Jay BoyBOY31Richard TempleThat Beatin' Rhythm Could It Be

Jay BoyBOY37Phillip MitchellI'm Gonna Build California From All Over The World The World Needs More People Like You

Jay BoyBOY63Lou and Laura PooleOnly You Know And I Know Look At Me

Jay BoyBOY64Jimmy ConwellCigarette Ashes Second Hand Happiness

The standout tracks, IMHO, are 31, 37, 63.

Ciggarette Ashes.....blinder

California.....flip it and give the B a spin.....dont know if its ever had 'nighter plays but it should have!!!!, two excellent tracks

Only you know and I know...as the B&S said when they reviewed this track, years and years ago, theres no way you would know this track was recorded in England.

Cigarette Ashes is'nt bad eitherlaugh.gif

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here's a US demo for reference...and yes the sound drops out in one place as with the UK copies. Shame.

hatsoff2.gif

Dave - it's not actually a dropout, it's really the result of someone knocking a tape reel when the track was being mixed. We've had the original production tape in the office and it's on there, too. Unfortunately modern technology couldn't get rid of it, either.

The two unissued tracks from this session are pretty special, too. I used the ballad on my Doris Duke Kent CD, Ady intends to use the more uptempo one (well, it's a floater, really) on some future Kent project.

Social source share

Just a quickie, Who was the person responsible for those Jay Boy re-releases in the early seventies. Stuff like Try a little harder-Fi-Dells

hatsoff2.gif HI ALL The story of the demise of PRESIDANT is very interesting, and I know the 3 main dealers who emptied the President Wearhouse, This is how I came across most of my collection of all the obscure stuff Like Sir Ted Ford, Ernie & Ed and such, I must of had most titles in my day, what I can say is that the JAY BOY 20 rack was empty before the dealers moved in? and the last box of Demos (25) went to a dealer on the South Coast , The issue of Jay Boy 22 Ray Merrell according to the President stock sheet was withdrawn and only 3 boxes were ever in the warehouse, this makes the demo far cheaper than the issue, as I do not have permission from the original 3 Dealers I am reluctant to tell the full story, I will try to rectify this as there is so much history behind this amazing label ALSO THERE ARE SOME STRANGE ANOMALIES SUCH AS JAY BOY 61 WITH DEMOS ON 3 & 4 PRONGED STAMPERS! WHY??ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

post-13241-1276222729508_thumb.jpgpost-13241-12762228314528_thumb.jpg

post-13241-1276222729508_thumb.jpg

post-13241-12762228314528_thumb.jpg

post-13241-1276222729508_thumb.jpg

post-13241-12762228314528_thumb.jpg

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Guest son of stan

I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Afro-Dimensions one. Both sides are pretty good, I think. I didn't know anything about it so I did a bit of googling. Seems they were the proverbial US GIs stationed in the UK. They made the record as a result of winning a competition in "Blues and Soul". I'd always assumed it was licensed in from a US label.

The singer, Al "Soulman" Sharp seems to be still involved in music and according to his website he has written a (sadly) unperformed musical about Jack the Ripper!..... shades of Spinal Tap.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI, GUYS.maan wot a friggin nite,just surfaced from me cella an put this on proppa,proppa,i have bin tryin to finish this bloody label for years,why i honestly ay got a clue but im still doin it,,cudn,t finish so i started collectin the bloody demos..NEAL,youve just filled in a part of me life why i started it,me n kev burden at a central soul...do..talkin there u go still bloody cursed..nearly finished it i think i need about 20..but honestly i would av swoped me friggin misses just to finish this label..aint it mad..guys thanx..its ur fault..ad a 10 enner on england..cum on u sods.then i can buy a nuva.haha..xx:hatsoff2:
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Agree with your stand out tracks but there are more "stand out " tracks me thinks.

Bob & Earl - My Little Girl

Ray Merrell - Tears Of Joy

You can add No 30 to this list IMO How do you like it ?

Social source share

Here's a US demo for reference...and yes the sound drops out in one place as with the UK copies. Shame.

:hatsoff2:

Came out in Germany too (with the very same drop out). Features a nice artist picture sleeve. Thought I had a scan of it saved on the hard drive but no luck so far :no:

Social source share

I was trying to find samples of Jay boy early numbers but but there aren't many Do you know if this single of the catalog it's reggae or not?

Jay Boy BOY19 The Swamp - That's The Way I Like It // Reggae 70

Beside the B is tittled reggae 70, I like the previous by the pyramids but ignore this one

ThanksRobert!

Social source share

I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Afro-Dimensions one. Both sides are pretty good, I think. I didn't know anything about it so I did a bit of googling. Seems they were the proverbial US GIs stationed in the UK. They made the record as a result of winning a competition in "Blues and Soul". I'd always assumed it was licensed in from a US label.

The singer, Al "Soulman" Sharp seems to be still involved in music and according to his website he has written a (sadly) unperformed musical about Jack the Ripper!..... shades of Spinal Tap.

I've got some Al Sharp solo 45's from the mid 70's on GTO if I remember correctly I guess it's the same guy.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert