Found Any 45's With Your Name On Them?

Guest rosies dad

Guest rosies dad

the topic about the most battered 45 on your collection got me thinking about what these records we collect have been thru for 40+ years...

how many owners theyve gone thru, how many parties they went to etc.. and of course so many of them have stickers with the original owners name

on them or the original owners name written in pen or permanant marker. you have to believe so many of them were teenagers making sure their siblings

knew exactly WHO THIS RECORD belongs to hahaha.. but have any of you ever found a 45 that was previously owned by someone with your same name??

i havent, although i've found one with my full initials J.J.S. thats the closest ive come... itd be a nice little treasure to find something with your name on it eh?

jacob

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

the topic about the most battered 45 on your collection got me thinking about what these records we collect have been thru for 40+ years...

how many owners theyve gone thru, how many parties they went to etc.. and of course so many of them have stickers with the original owners name

on them or the original owners name written in pen or permanant marker. you have to believe so many of them were teenagers making sure their siblings

knew exactly WHO THIS RECORD belongs to hahaha.. but have any of you ever found a 45 that was previously owned by someone with your same name??

i havent, although i've found one with my full initials J.J.S. thats the closest ive come... itd be a nice little treasure to find something with your name on it eh?

jacob

Towards the end of my Northern dee-jaying era I took to inscribing my name in the dead wax with a steel needle - I've never been a fan of defacing the record label with a pen or sticker. I learnt that lesson early on when I defaced my early Motown and British pressings with stickers but luckily had grown out of that by the time I found the Northern scene.

But there was an issue with people wanting to nick records and targeting anyone who had 'em. One time there was a plot afoot to nick my entire box from Cleethorpes but that got stopped thank God. But after that, I thought that inscribing the records would be another security measure and wouldn't affect the value of them or ruin the look of them.

Every so often, if I'm flicking through someone's collection I'll occasionally spot a record which jumps out because I used to own it and I can somehow tell. It's weird. Last time it happened was with the Lenny Curtis in Ginger's box. Ginger didn't believe me until I showed him the inscription. It's nice to think about the lives that old records of mine have touched over 35 years. Quite poetic when you think about it.

The life of a Northern Soul record is pretty much top-of-the-tree isn't it. They're expensive, housed in luxurious sleeves in a warm record room, played every so often and kept in good maintenance , go to all the best gigs and parties and are lavished with love by their owners.

I wanna come back as a rare Northern Soul record in my next life. Y'know, one of those perennial greats that no one ever gets rid of like a Salvadores or something.

That'd be just great...........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

haven't found any with my name on them, but every now & then I'll google the name of a previous owner & flick them an email to see if it's the same person (has to be a pretty unique name of course, John Smith won't cut it). I've had a few replies back that were positive & managed to get stories about how records left their possession. Pretty cool when it works out.:hypo:

Social source share

Around 30 yrs ago at Bolton market I bought a copy of Barbara Mills on (UK) WHITE HICKORY which had a ink fingerprint on the label.

It would have been impossible to remove without causing serious damage and it was certainley still on when I sold it a couple of years later.

Over the years I've very often wondered who has it now.

I cant believe that it would have ever been sold to anyone other than a serious collector and maybe someone on here ?

Great topic btw

Social source share

Guest rosies dad

then years from now there will be a topic on here saying "i found suchnsuch 45 with Ian in the deadwax is it a boot?" and someone will reply "it must be a boot cos mine has Dylan in the deadwax!" haha

Social source share

yeah i bought a Dana Valery demo off Kev Cox a long time ago and it had "Lewi from Runcorn" scratched in the dead wax.

I used to go to Wigan with Lewi, we used to meet at Warrington Patton arms many a saturday night !!

Asked Kev and he said he bought it off a small guy at the 100 club , Lewi was fairly small as i recall !!

Ian.

Social source share

Guest rosies dad

i think ill start scribbling my buddies names onto 45s, then show them "look what i found what are the chances someone with your name owned this originally??.. Ill trade it to you!" haha.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert