Skiing In The Snow

I can't believe what I'm reading here.

When I first started hearing northern records at the youth club, this was a monster, just pressed on the OOTP label (so us 13/14 year olds could hear it) and an absolute monster tune.  Kitchen sink production, great vocal, what more do you lot want?

It emphasises all that was GREAT about Northern Soul.

link

I THINK THAT JUST ABOUT SAID IT ALL! :lol:

right, now we will talk about what a monster weakspot is and, would it work with those oldies DJs on today's scene :shhh:

Social source share

• Replies 129
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just because it's synonimous with youth club memories don't make it a good record Pete :shhh:

link

Nail on head Dave.

Some people assume because I think it's a sack o' jizz I'm attacking the very foundations of Northern Soul :lol:

I just think this particular track is Sh!te and nothing will ever change that.

Just to prove a point, when I was a kid, maybe 8 or 9 I liked 'Eye Of The Tiger' by some American Rock type outfit. It was the theme to Rocky 3 and I would hold a cushion up to the wall and punch it in tune to the beat pretending to be Rocky and chin Klubber Lang. :P

I thought it was ace, I look back now and shake my head. If someone took the p!ss out of me for liking it back then, I'd pause, then I'd agree and say "Yeah, it was Sh!t, what was I thinking" LOL

I wouldn't do the rearguard and accuse my P!sstaker of questioning my childhood and take it personally and come out with the usual "Well you weren't there" and so on so forth. :D

Gee, stop being so fcuking serious and have a laugh at the fact it was cringingly bad, really, really bad. :D

All IMVHFO of course :D

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

I,VE JUST FOUND THIS ON ANOTHER THREAD AND THOUGHT IT MAYBE OF SOME INTREST

GUESS WHAT THE INVERTATION ARE AT HEMSBY WEEKENDER

WICKEAD :lol::shhh:

Hi everybody

great news is that we have just confirmed our full line up of acts for this years event...14th to 17th October at Hemsby Great Yarmouth.

You have probably seen the flyer's that have been around for about three weeks now, featuring KIM WESTON and BRENDA HOLLOWAY we are delighted to announce that FRANCIS NERO has been added to the Saturday night show and great news is that THE INVITATIONS are headlining the Friday night set !!!!

Richie Pitts will be doing a solo show on Sunday night.

The feed back for this weekender is terrific, and prices start at just £26.50 for 3nights accom inc dance hall passes---see flyer in the gallery or visit www.soul-weekenders.co.uk for more details on booking etc.

Social source share

Nail on head Dave.

Some people assume because I think it's a sack o' jizz I'm attacking the very foundations of Northern Soul  :lol:

I just think this particular track is Sh!te and nothing will ever change that.

Just to prove a point, when I was a kid, maybe 8 or 9 I liked 'Eye Of The Tiger' by some American Rock type outfit. It was the theme to Rocky 3 and I would hold a cushion up to the wall and punch it in tune to the beat pretending to be Rocky and chin Klubber Lang. :D

I thought it was ace, I look back now and shake my head. If someone took the p!ss out of me for liking it back then, I'd pause, then I'd agree and say "Yeah, it was Sh!t, what was I thinking" LOL

I wouldn't do the rearguard and accuse my P!sstaker of questioning my childhood and take it personally and come out with the usual "Well you weren't there" and so on so forth.  :D

Gee, stop being so fcuking serious and have a laugh at the fact it was cringingly bad, really, really bad.  :D

All IMVHFO of course  :D

link

Nicely put young sir :D

BTW, I'll tell you over a pint one night of DJ who still plays Eye Of The Tiger at home :shhh::P

Unless I receive a suitable bribe not to in the meantime :yes:

Social source share

Nicely put young sir :lol:

BTW, I'll tell you over a pint one night of DJ who still plays Eye Of The Tiger at home :shhh:   :P

Unless I receive a suitable bribe not to in the meantime  :D

link

my memory has failed me here. but sometime this year, or was it the last? we we had come back from an allniter, though could have been a soul nite, but i doubt that, and James T rings up and plays "Eye of the Tiger" down the phone. That was it, nothing else. most strange!!

Social source share

HANG ON DAVE. is my memory failing or were you with James when he rang up and played that to us??!!

link

I remember something along the lines of this, Bruv, was it after James had played the 100??

I'm sure it was :thumbsup:

Social source share

come on Colin, I remember you dancing to this in the youth club days.

lets not forget that this was a top sound all those years ago and you would of been proud to have it in your box, and as such has its place in the northern soul hall of fame :)

classic northern soul at its best! :thumbsup:

love it or hate it its a classic :thumbsup:

link

I reckon that big afro you had in the 70s super heated your brain & has played terrible tricks with both your memory & taste.

Col.

Social source share

I reckon that big afro you had in the 70s super heated your brain & has played terrible tricks with both your memory & taste.

Col.

link

my mistake, it should read trying to dance :thumbsup::):thumbsup:

Social source share

Skiing is the front for all those awful people who thought they had Soul......but then found Bowie and Roxy....yeah fashion heads, they came, saw, wore a beer towel, then fucked off to where they belonged, egged on by faux tv pop stars, Jesus....glad i belonged to the true generation.....

THAT IS STILL BUYING VINYL TODAY AND .....STILL ATTENDING ..RARE SOUL VENUES.....

(KEEP THE FAITH....your having a laugh)......... whistling.gif

always hated that term......did the BBC invent it........?

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Skiing is the front for all those awful people who thought they had Soul......but then found Bowie and Roxy....yeah fashion heads, they came, saw,  wore a beer towel, then fucked off to where they belonged, egged on by faux tv pop stars, Jesus....glad i belonged to the true generation.....

THAT IS STILL BUYING VINYL TODAY AND .....STILL ATTENDING ..RARE SOUL VENUES.....

(KEEP THE FAITH....your having a laugh)......... whistling.gif

always hated that term......did  the BBC invent it........?

link

Brett, Jamie! 'Whats Wrong With You Babies' get it...lol THEIR OTHER RECORD!!!!

I'll get me coat....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Just noticed that "Skiing In The Snow"  (Invitations) is going on John Manships auction site for (at the moment £285)

thing is , in my opinion, this has got to be one of the poorest records ever cut, god knows why anyone would spend a tenner let alone £285 on this awful vinyl 45'.

Seriously if i heard this at any Soul night i would walk clean out of the door...............

totally bewildered..

ps...i have this record...bought when young and naive..........

link

What you have to remember is that this record was HUGE in the early 70s when we were oh so young. That was a different age. Many of the records played then sound very twee when heard now. But believe me, when you heard SITS blasted out in a club back then, it sounded bloody awesome. In fact the intro still sounds fantastic. The scene has changed, and we have grown up, and the music has got more soulful and less franetic. Also, there are an awful lot of people collecting there old favourites, who do not go out now, and are totally unaware of the stuff being played today. And when they hear SITS, they hear it as they heard it in the 70s.

I was off the scene for twenty years, and when I discovered that it was still going strong, all I wanted to do was hear the old faves again. Now I've bought them all, heard what was played while I was away, and sold them to buy the newer sounds.

All the 45s that were in my top twenty wants when I returned, I am not interested in buying now. I'll wager that the person buying SITS does not go out now, but wants to recapture there youth. Thats ok. Because while they are buying oldies, I can have all my faves for myself. :rolleyes:

Phil.

Social source share

What you have to remember is that this record was HUGE in the early 70s when we were oh so young. That was a different age. Many of the records played then sound very twee when heard now. But believe me, when you heard SITS blasted out in a club back then, it sounded bloody awesome. In fact the intro still sounds fantastic. The scene has changed, and we have grown up, and the music has got more soulful and less franetic. Also, there are an awful lot of people collecting there old favourites, who do not go out now, and are totally unaware of the stuff being played today. And when they hear SITS, they hear it as they heard it in the 70s.

I was off the scene for twenty years, and when I discovered that it was still going strong, all I wanted to do was hear the old faves again. Now I've bought them all, heard what was played while I was away, and sold them to buy the newer sounds.

All the 45s that were in my top twenty wants when I returned, I am not interested in buying now. I'll wager that the person buying SITS does not go out now, but wants to recapture there youth. Thats ok. Because while they are buying oldies, I can have all my faves for myself. :rolleyes:

Phil.

link

nail on the head!

:good:

Social source share

I was off the scene for twenty years, and when I discovered that it was still going strong, all I wanted to do was hear the old faves again.

link

By the way Phil, when did your 20 year break start and end?

Jim

Social source share

By the way Phil, when did  your 20 year break start and end?

Jim

link

Hello Jim,

I sold up in 76 and dicovered the goldmine cds late 90s. Can't believe I missed all the best music, that was played, late wigan, stafford, mexborough,blackburn, scotland etc. I was totally oblivious to what was going on. Bugger :rolleyes: I'm still playing catch up now, but love it.

Best Regards,

Phil.

Social source share

The lyric is NOT "Skiiing down the mountain

Everybody's putting me down"

but " Skiing down the mountain

Nobody's putting me down"

This lifts it above the trite and up towards the level of a true anthem for disaffected youth. This is what Northern Soul was about. Whether it was conscious or not, youth in the north of England identified with the sentiments, lyrical and melodic, expressed by the American Soul 45s of the 60s.

It is highly unlikely that 60s American black youth were off for winter skiing holidays so the song has to viewed as a metaphor for freedom brilliantly

expressed by the exhuberance of both the vocal and the orchestration. And, yes, the gloss that northern kids could put on the word 'gear' did certainly add to its appeal.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Hello Jim,

I sold up in 76 and dicovered the goldmine cds late 90s. Can't believe I missed all the best music, that was played, late wigan, stafford, mexborough,blackburn, scotland etc. I was totally oblivious to what was going on. Bugger :rolleyes: I'm still playing catch up now, but love it.

Best Regards,

Phil.

link

The plus side being that you have tons of great stuff to listen to and discover for yourself. I kinda know what ya mean to an extent though...I left the scene in 89 and came back to it this year. cool.gif

Social source share

Even though the lyrics verge on naff the record gets more bad press cause of Wigans Ovation if you ask me.  maybe Wigans Ovation should be burnt at the stake live on top of the pops along with every copy pressed  :rolleyes:   :D

link

:good: I'll get the matches, Chalk.

Social source share

:D:P

All the 45s that were in my top twenty wants when I returned, I am not interested in buying now. I'll wager that the person buying SITS does not go out now, but wants to recapture there youth. Thats ok. Because while they are buying oldies, I can have all my faves for myself. whistling.gif

Phil.

link

good point :D:D

Social source share

Even though the lyrics verge on naff the record gets more bad press cause of Wigans Ovation if you ask me.  maybe Wigans Ovation should be burnt at the stake live on top of the pops along with every copy pressed  whistling.gif   :D

link

just say what you mean i won't be hurt :P:D:D

Social source share

Just noticed that "Skiing In The Snow"  (Invitations) is going on John Manships auction site for (at the moment £285)

thing is , in my opinion, this has got to be one of the poorest records ever cut, god knows why anyone would spend a tenner let alone £285 on this awful vinyl 45'.

Seriously if i heard this at any Soul night i would walk clean out of the door...............

totally bewildered..

ps...i have this record...bought when young and naive..........

link

This record still makes me smile - I don't think its a great record and I do think it has been tarnished by some who can't see past the pop-cover, but it's a record I'd never part with.

As to whether it's because it reminds of those midweek nights at Inkersall Green in the mid-70s is another thing - the horns and drum intro was like a clarion call tot he dancefloor - but being as I'm beginning to off-load some stuff from them days I must still quite like it ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Why the big urge to knock we were listening to then, by judging SITS by today's standards?

Quote Levine and Jonh Vincent. " The biggest records of all time(NS, not beat ballads, not RnB, not late Doo Wop) were discovered 72-74".

This was one of the biggies at the time. Play Dean Barlow or Ralph Graham at the Torch, Pendelum or Wigan in 73. They just would not have caught on.

Each record has a time and place for most people. Times and tastes change. Bloody hell, accept this.

I was on the scene then. I'm on the scene now. I loved it then, I love it now. But its changed. Why knock what was played. At least its a bloody record from the 60ts, by a black group on a fantastic lable, with great arrangers and producers!

I deapair when I hear some of the stuff played occasionally, but we all like different things. Why spend time knocking the scene when we have enough problems, a lot of them caused by infighting and lack of acceptance by certain people.

The lyric is NOT "Skiiing down the mountain

Everybody's putting me down"

but                  " Skiing down the mountain

Nobody's putting me down"

This lifts it above the trite and up towards the level of a true anthem for disaffected youth. This is what Northern Soul was about. Whether it was conscious or not, youth in the north of England identified with the sentiments, lyrical and melodic, expressed by  the American Soul 45s of the 60s.

It is highly unlikely that 60s American black youth were off for winter skiing holidays so the song has to viewed as a metaphor for freedom brilliantly

expressed by the exhuberance of both the vocal and the orchestration. And, yes, the gloss that northern kids could put on the word 'gear' did certainly add to its appeal.

link

Social source share