Stay Close To Me - The Impressions And Five Stairsteps & Cubie

• Replies 44
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I'm pretty sure the Five Stairsteps was released first. First of all, it's the only one released on single and it was a hit, Impressions was an LP-cut only. Second of all, this says the Impressions LP was released december of 68:

https://www.bsnpubs.c...dah/curtom.html

The five stairsteps single was released late in '68 but I'm pretty sure before december. Obviously the five stairsteps LP that had the track came out after the impressions LP though.

Edited by boba
Social source share

CURTOM_CR-1933-A_DJ-1.gifCURTOM_CR-1933-B_DJ-1.gif

Record of the Week - (Top Left of Article) BILLBOARD

>>> SOUL SAUCE - BEST NEW RECORD OF THE WEEK - 9th NOVEMBER 1968 <<<

Whoever proof-read that ad needs shooting! They missed off Cubie for God's sake! :lol:

Come to think of it, who the hell was Cubie anyway? What's her story I wonder?

I always felt a bit sorry for Cuby. It always felt like she was a bit of an add-on. The Five Stairsteps...and.....er...Cubie........

Anyone know what happened to her?

Ian D :D

Social source share

Got this off Wikpedia - Dunno about its accuracy

The group's second album, Family Portrait (complete with a montage of Burke family photos), was recorded and produced in Chicago by Clarence Jr. With the addition of their three-year-old brother, the group became The Five Stairsteps & Cubie.

The impressions did a version of We Must Be In Love which is another brill 5 Stairsteps tune. I also really like Don't Waste Your Time by them.

Oh - Beat Me to it Boba

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

cubie isn't a she, it's a he, he was the very young brother they added later, almost as a novelty thing. He's currently a dancer in the alvin ailey troupe.

The girl in the group was Alohe Burke

Cubie isn't a she??? Dammit. What kind of a name for a bloke is Cubie? :lol:

No wonder it's confusung.......... :g:

In that case, I wonder how Alohe felt when Cubie butted in.........? Bloody kids stealing all the limelight and all that.....

But if I was Cubie I'd be wondering why the font on my name on the label is reduced to lower case and why did they leave my name off the Billboard ad?

Social source share

OK, that's 3 potential lead singers in the course of this one thread - Cubie, Clarence or Keni? :lol:

I'm gonna have to listen now 'cos I always thought it was a bird called Cubie......

........and if it was Keni I'll rib him about his balls not dropping when he sang that!

But it's Clarence right?

Social source share

I think the stairsteps on dark horse was pretty much the same lineup (maybe without cubie?).

The Invisible Man's Band was the same group minus Alohe and Cubie.

actually Alohe was also not in the stairsteps on dark horse. so the invisble man's band and the dark horse group are the same group.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I love the Stairsteps, one of my favourite groups. So many great tunes played on the northern scene. If they got together and came over it wouldn't be a five minute set.

Just some i've heard out:

Change of Pace

Playgirls Love

Stay Close To Me

You Can't See/Ain't Gonna Rest

We Must Be In Love

Don't Waste Your Time

The Girl I Love

All cheap as chips as well. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bjGEv2UlA

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Got this off Wikpedia - Dunno about its accuracy

The group's second album, Family Portrait (complete with a montage of Burke family photos), was recorded and produced in Chicago by Clarence Jr. With the addition of their three-year-old brother, the group became The Five Stairsteps & Cubie.

The impressions did a version of We Must Be In Love which is another brill 5 Stairsteps tune. I also really like Don't Waste Your Time by them.

Oh - Beat Me to it Boba

Cool album,with gatefold cover.

Social source share

We're using The Stairsteps "I'm The One Who Loves You" on a forthcoming Backbeats. We actually included the Impressions version of "Stay Close To Me" on another volume 'cos most people know the Stairsteps (and Cubie) version but not the Impressions which is

more straightforward and Curtis sings it beautifully........

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Somewhere in the upper reaches of Rounce Towers there's a Portuguese Buddah EP of the Impressions, which contains 'Stay Close To Me'.

I used to play the track off that particular item in the West Hampstead era of 6Ts...

Social source share

From 'Love's Happening' CD release -

Clarence Burke, Jr, 18 years old

Aloaha, 19 years old

James, 17 years old

Dennis, 16 years old

Kenneth, 15 years old

& Cubie, 3 &1/2 years old

the stairsteps are possibly the greatest chicago soul group of all time, maybe next to the impressions

I would put the Impressions & The Dells before The Stairsteps + the Natural Fours Curtom records are better in my opinion.

Edited by John Siret
Social source share

From 'Love's Happening' CD release -

Clarence Burke, Jr, 18 years old

Aloaha, 19 years old

James, 17 years old

Dennis, 16 years old

Kenneth, 15 years old

& Cubie, 3 &1/2 years old

I would put the Impressions & The Dells before The Stairsteps + the Natural Fours Curtom records are better in my opinion.

I stand by my statement. The natural four (while a great group) aren't even from chicago. And the best stairsteps 45s are their windy c records, not even comparable to the natural four.

You also spelled Alohe wrong.

Social source share

I love the Stairsteps, one of my favourite groups. So many great tunes played on the northern scene. If they got together and came over it wouldn't be a five minute set.

Just some i've heard out:

Change of Pace

Playgirls Love

Stay Close To Me

You Can't See/Ain't Gonna Rest

We Must Be In Love

Don't Waste Your Time

The Girl I Love

All cheap as chips as well. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bjGEv2UlA

agree with you always buy there stuff when i can , this is a nice one,

Social source share

I

'm pretty sure the Five Stairsteps was released first. First of all, it's the only one released on single and it was a hit, Impressions was an LP-cut only. Second of all, this says the Impressions LP was released december of 68:

https://www.bsnpubs.c...dah/curtom.html

The five stairsteps single was released late in '68 but I'm pretty sure before december. Obviously the five stairsteps LP that had the track came out after the impressions LP though.

But surely Curtis would have recorded it with the Impressions first wouldn't he? I presume that Curtis probably had it in the can ready to go and then gave it to the Five Stairsteps......and Cubie :lol: on the basis that it was a cute song and would probably fit the guys, gal & 3 year old kid better..........?

Social source share

But surely Curtis would have recorded it with the Impressions first wouldn't he? I presume that Curtis probably had it in the can ready to go and then gave it to the Five Stairsteps......and Cubie :lol: on the basis that it was a cute song and would probably fit the guys, gal & 3 year old kid better..........?

Curtis produced a lot of groups. He wasn't just a musician, songwriter, and singer; he was a record producer trying to get hits. A lot of the tracks that the Impressions did were first done by other groups. If Curtis had intended it to be mainly an impressions track he would have released it as a single.

Social source share

Curtis produced a lot of groups. He wasn't just a musician, songwriter, and singer; he was a record producer trying to get hits. A lot of the tracks that the Impressions did were first done by other groups. If Curtis had intended it to be mainly an impressions track he would have released it as a single.

Yep, I guess so. What I was suggesting was whether the Impressions version acted as a kind of demo for the Stairsteps & Cubie one? I presume it's exactly the same backing track and they just re-recorded the vocals. It'd be interesting to know how far apart the recordings were? It may have been just days, since both versions came out at around the same time.

The Five Stairsteps (and Cubie) was undoubtably the more commercial of the two, that's for sure.

Social source share

THE IMPRESSIONS are most certainly the greatest Chicago group of all time....Both musically and in iconic terms..

THE STAIRSTEPS 45'S put them well near the top of the All Time -'Northern Soul value for money' chart though, that's for sure! I've always wondered why 'The Girl I love' was not much bigger, a lovely finger snapper, great tempo, verging onto DEON JACKSON territory in feel and melody, great record... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...A bit late I know but I finally unearthed my Portuguese Impressions EP this morning. This is a promo copy and it came without a pic sleeve, but I'm sure there must be a stock copy that has one. It came from a bunch of unplayed Portuguese EPs that I acquired for pennies from a South London junkshop in the late 70s, some of which had sleeves and some of which didn't...

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

THE IMPRESSIONS are most certainly the greatest Chicago group of all time....Both musically and in iconic terms..

THE STAIRSTEPS 45'S put them well near the top of the All Time -'Northern Soul value for money' chart though, that's for sure! I've always wondered why 'The Girl I love' was not much bigger, a lovely finger snapper, great tempo, verging onto DEON JACKSON territory in feel and melody, great record... :hatsoff2:

Maybe because it was the flipside of Ooh, Baby Baby, and the plug side just isn't as good, The Girl I Love probably never got any airplay.

Social source share

Maybe because it was the flipside of Ooh, Baby Baby, and the plug side just isn't as good, The Girl I Love probably never got any airplay.

I know that mate...I meant on our scene.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

...A bit late I know but I finally unearthed my Portuguese Impressions EP this morning. This is a promo copy and it came without a pic sleeve, but I'm sure there must be a stock copy that has one. It came from a bunch of unplayed Portuguese EPs that I acquired for pennies from a South London junkshop in the late 70s, some of which had sleeves and some of which didn't...

Nice one Tony!

What were the other tracks they put out on that EP then?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert