Price Check: Gene Chandler - In My Body's House

I think $50 is closer to the value today. Do people buy this just as a substitute for baby huey?

Not sure people will get the Baby Huey connection to be honest, as thats not particularly a "scene" record Bob. As fine as it is.

I only heard the GC recently to be honest at that fine Majestic Soul night and couldn't believe it, I only knew the BH one.

Do you know which was first? I assume GC as BH was 1971.

How common is the Baby Huey LP in States?

Social source share

Are you all talking about one that just sold on eBay for $95? (I'm at work and the office firewall prevents access to eBay and the like)

If so, I think you'll find there is currently a demand for the record, as witnessed on here via Wants I seem to remember?

Brilliant record. Obviously Curtis Mayfield influenced. Even sounds alot like him. Well, in my opinion anyhow.

Social source share

Are you all talking about one that just sold on eBay for $95? (I'm at work and the office firewall prevents access to eBay and the like)

If so, I think you'll find there is currently a demand for the record, as witnessed on here via Wants I seem to remember?

Brilliant record. Obviously Curtis Mayfield influenced. Even sounds alot like him. Well, in my opinion anyhow.

well it is penned by him, when i first heard it I thought it was just an uptempo version of hard times

Social source share

well it is penned by him, when i first heard it I thought it was just an uptempo version of hard times

?? isn't this exactly what it is?

anyways, it is in demand for a lot of the reasons mentioned, it's a great record, a substitute for the Baby Huey & appealing to the funk scene

you should still be able to grab it for $40US on ebay, but when it's placed in amongst a good list from a good seller it will go higher as evidenced by the $95 J***e got for it yesterday.

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

Not sure people will get the Baby Huey connection to be honest, as thats not particularly a "scene" record Bob. As fine as it is.

How common is the Baby Huey LP in States?

yeah, like Kris says below, I didn't know of any connection to the northern scene at all. I thought all the people buying it were funk collectors.

The Baby Huey LP is not common. I don't collect LPs but I did for a while and it was really weird that the only time I ever found the LP was at someone's house, they had a french press on a buddah label with no gatefold. They had no other foreign records. I have no idea how that ended up at some random southside house in the US. If it did show up I would have seen it on record store "rare" LP walls but never did.

Social source share

?? isn't this exactly what it is?

anyways, it is in demand for a lot of the reasons mentioned, it's a great record, a substitute for the Baby Huey & appealing to the funk scene

you should still be able to grab it for $40US on ebay, but when it's placed in amongst a good list from a good seller it will go higher as evidenced by the $95 J***e got for it yesterday.

Not sure, thought the lyrics differed in the verse's, I dig through my curtis lpee's and listen.

Social source share

Mayfield's 'hard times' from ' there's no place like America today' is so different to either of the aforementioned tracks, think?? the lyrics are the same, but production wise its in a very different place .

the mayfield version is a later remake though, he obviously was going for a different sound.

Social source share

pretty similar i think, the Baby Huey LP or 45 isn't a ridiculous task if you're ebaying, but they are definitely a bit tough in the real world.

Gene Chandler's version definitely pips it for me. Feels more accomplished and truest to Curtis Mayfield's style. Not that that was necessarily intended.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!