Did Anyone Attend This Gig In Manchester 1963

Came across this gig whilst researching for soul project! Did any Soul Source members attend this event? It took place on the Chorlton-Cum-Hardy railway station which was renamed 'Chorltonville' for the event. The artists were on one platform, audience on the other. The links are to Rosetta and Muddy Waters performances.

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/T0tnh0xeDzw

https://youtu.be/jeDF1g2cGDI

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Came across this gig whilst researching for soul project! Did any Soul Source members attend this event? It took place on the Chorlton-Cum-Hardy railway station which was renamed 'Chorltonville' for the event. The artists were on one platform, audience on the other. The links are to Rosetta and Muddy Waters performances.

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/T0tnh0xeDzw

Can't get the youtube link at work-presume it's the Sister Rosetta tharp do.

So, no- I'm a bit young :yes:

But saw the documentary on the Beeb ( I think) which showed the footage from that concert -very early 60's if memory serves.

ATB

tony

Social source share

Was probably ticket only invited audience thing as it was arranged by the BBC.

Hi Pete although the documentary was on the beeb I'm pretty sure that the original footage came from Granada, who did a few "blues" specials in that period, probably overseen by Johnny Hamp ( of Comedians Fame) who seemed to lead the way with that sort of thing.

One of the first Beatles TV appearances, Bob Dylan, Muddy Waters etc.-bit out of the ordinary for a "parochial" TV company.

And yes -it probably was by invitation only-Left Wing Cafe or Brasenose Street Wheel types?

Tony

Social source share

am sure there's a dvd of this out there

under title of blues train or similar possibly

here are

wikip says...

Although the signage for the 1964 Granada Television 'Blues and Gospel Train' show said 'Chorltonville' the railway station used for the show was the nearby Wilbraham Road.

Social source share

Hi Pete although the documentary was on the beeb I'm pretty sure that the original footage came from Granada, who did a few "blues" specials in that period, probably overseen by Johnny Hamp ( of Comedians Fame) who seemed to lead the way with that sort of thing.

One of the first Beatles TV appearances, Bob Dylan, Muddy Waters etc.-bit out of the ordinary for a "parochial" TV company.

And yes -it probably was by invitation only-Left Wing Cafe or Brasenose Street Wheel types?

Tony

You are right of course. I'm sure they showed this in full a few years ago.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert