Prestatyn. ( Pontins ) Last Weekend

A FRIEND WENT TO PONTINS PRESTATYN LAST WEEKEND FOR A ( ROCKFEST ) HE SAID IT WAS RAMMED,

BIT LIKE A SOULFEST BUT WITH LEATHER JACKETS I GUESS,

THE BIT I NOTICED WAS THAT YOU COULD BUY WRISTBANDS FOR FOR ONE NIGHT OR TWO OR THREE WITHOUT HAVING TO BOOK A CHALET, I WONDER WHY COULDN'T THEY HAVE DONE THAT FOR SOUL WEEKENDS WHEN NUMBERS WERE GOING DOWN A BIT, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A LOT BUSIER WITH A LOT OF LOCALS OR PEOPLE WHO COULD MAYBE ONLY GET ONE NIGHT AWAY TO ATTEND, ON THE FRIDAY OR SATURDAY NIGHTS,

JOE.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

A FRIEND WENT TO PONTINS PRESTATYN LAST WEEKEND FOR A ( ROCKFEST ) HE SAID IT WAS RAMMED,

BIT LIKE A SOULFEST BUT WITH LEATHER JACKETS I GUESS,

THE BIT I NOTICED WAS THAT YOU COULD BUY WRISTBANDS FOR FOR ONE NIGHT OR TWO OR THREE WITHOUT HAVING TO BOOK A CHALET, I WONDER WHY COULDN'T THEY HAVE DONE THAT FOR SOUL WEEKENDS WHEN NUMBERS WERE GOING DOWN A BIT, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A LOT BUSIER WITH A LOT OF LOCALS OR PEOPLE WHO COULD MAYBE ONLY GET ONE NIGHT AWAY TO ATTEND, ON THE FRIDAY OR SATURDAY NIGHTS,

JOE.

You could do that for the Blackpool tower soul weekend at one time so we used to go just for the Saturday allnighter

when they stopped it we stopped going

End Of !

Social source share

IT WAS VERY BUSY THE FIRST 5 OR 6 YEARS THEN IT SORT OFF TAILED OF,

THERE SEEMED TO BE MORE EMPTY CHALETS EVERY YEAR TOWARDS THE END,

MOST OF THE RECORD DEALERS WERE ABSENT OR ONLY CAME ON THE SATURDAY,

THE QUEEN VIC WHICH USED TO TO BE PACKED WAS NEARLY EMPTY SOMETIMES,

JOE.

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

get down to southport pontins this year instead , the chalets are a lot better, if thats what floats your boat

Social source share

get down to southport pontins this year instead , the chalets are a lot better, if thats what floats your boat

Hate to stop the slagging off of the chalets but.....................they (or most of them) have been refurbed!!!!

Pulled in there couple of weeks ago after staying over at the Dudno do at Llandudno.

New flooring (it's lino but looks like wooden laminate!!!) new table & chairs new leather (look??) bed settee plus new units, possibly new beds and a good lick of paint outside and in. Balcony railings also been painted.

Work still underway but a massive improvement. Best site was a mountain of the old bed settees piled up on one of the lawns, wish I'd taken a photo now.

Edited by DazCymru
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

IT WAS VERY BUSY THE FIRST 5 OR 6 YEARS THEN IT SORT OFF TAILED OF,

THERE SEEMED TO BE MORE EMPTY CHALETS EVERY YEAR TOWARDS THE END,

MOST OF THE RECORD DEALERS WERE ABSENT OR ONLY CAME ON THE SATURDAY,

THE QUEEN VIC WHICH USED TO TO BE PACKED WAS NEARLY EMPTY SOMETIMES,

JOE.

I agree with Julie , It was busier every year no doubt about that!!

the empty chalets were mostly ones that were in need of refurb i was told.

The Queen Vic was essentially a rare and underplayed room, and as such had a smaller following, it allowed punters who liked to hear new tunes that the djs were trying out, on the whole we had very positive comments from punters.

Roll on october!

dave

Social source share

Guest smoothwasson

i njoyed it , specially sat night with the live bands..someone said its coming back end of the year..they must have missed us ..at least us soulies dont trash our chalets ( even tho they needed it ) like the punk weekend they have ..

anyway im off to the soul / euroculture weekend in june ..and the soul week in turkey end of the year ..

Social source share

looking back its interesting how the makeup and the focus shifted over the years

first one and second one were very different to later ones and were never bettered imo

each one after them two seemed to gradually move away from the vibe that the first couple had, suppose was inevitable as the audience widened and all that

still I got some good memories, stories and laughs out of it all, which is fine by me

• Helpful 2
Social source share

There was too much emphasis on money and getting in as many as possible the longer it went on. The first few were great, the first two as Mike says superb. But even the gloss was taken off the acts with poor sound and singing one record three times rather than do a half a dozen record set. I remember Baby Washington, you couldn't hear her, terrible for such a great artist. Had some great weekends there, especially the Thursdays early years watching the artists rehearse. With the acts they had on they wasted a great chance to have a superb showcase but IMO it was wasted.

The music went downhill too, another nail in the coffin as far as I was concerned.

Social source share

looking back its interesting how the makeup and the focus shifted over the years

first one and second one were very different to later ones and were never bettered imo

each one after them two seemed to gradually move away from the vibe that the first couple had, suppose was inevitable as the audience widened and all that

still I got some good memories, stories and laughs out of it all, which is fine by me

here,here :thumbsup: plus we were a tad younger :ohmy:

Edited by dancingcollector
Social source share

There was too much emphasis on money and getting in as many as possible the longer it went on. The first few were great, the first two as Mike says superb. But even the gloss was taken off the acts with poor sound and singing one record three times rather than do a half a dozen record set. I remember Baby Washington, you couldn't hear her, terrible for such a great artist. Had some great weekends there, especially the Thursdays early years watching the artists rehearse. With the acts they had on they wasted a great chance to have a superb showcase but IMO it was wasted.

The music went downhill too, another nail in the coffin as far as I was concerned.

Isnt that the way with business's the world over, they make a profit one year then next year they set a target for the following year , and you are expected to meet that or its down as a loss!

I agree with you that it was never loud enough, to engage the crowd into the performance. Which you need, and the performer needs to drive them on! imho.

At Southport the sound system is very much louder and clearer than Prestatyns main room.

Dave

Social source share

Isnt that the way with business's the world over, they make a profit one year then next year they set a target for the following year , and you are expected to meet that or its down as a loss! I agree with you that it was never loud enough, to engage the crowd into the performance. Which you need, and the performer needs to drive them on! imho. At Southport the sound system is very much louder and clearer than Prestatyns main room. Dave

It got more like a cattle market Dave than a soul weekender. It also got too matey and arenas playing the same as other arenas.

Social source share

I thought the Prestatyn weekender numbers went up as it aged rather then down?

You're right, they did, though I think the numbers were down on the last one.

The original weekenders had the right attitude and ethos, but the music policies shifted to cater for the lowest common denomination expectations...and the soulful teapot stalls were in abundance for the third and all following events.. :(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!