Ian Levine's May Podcast Now Available

Here it is, my dear friends. The amazing scintillating best yet podcast, the FIFTH one, and this is for May 2012.

https://soundcloud.com/ian-levine/solid-soul-sensations-5

And then when you fall in love so deeply with the music, go back and listen to the first one that started it all.

https://soundcloud.com/ian-levine/solid-soul-sensations-podcast

And then go back and listen to the second one, from my February Solar Radio show

https://soundcloud.com/ian-levine/solid-soul-sensations

And then love and adore the brilliant third one, from March 2012

https://soundcloud.com/ian-levine/solid-soul-sensations-3

And then go and listen to the fourth one from April

https://soundcloud.com/ian-levine/solid-soul-sensations-4

That's a total of FIFTEEN HOURS of the best music from me, Ian Levine. And all different. And all free.

What more could you ask from life ?? This is music to tingle your spine, to enthral your senses, to drown yourself in soulful emotion. Now you can hear it, download it and treasure it forever and hopefully love the music as I do.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

i got annoyed at the introduction bragging about the "amazing 15 hours" of rare soul music and then saying the jones girls are from chicago and I stopped it (even though I do like that Jones girls song).

EDIT: i skipped to the next song, eugene gamble on jetstream, really nice cut i haven't heard before. now the player crashed though.

Edited by boba
Social source share

i got annoyed at the introduction bragging about the "amazing 15 hours" of rare soul music and then saying the jones girls are from chicago and I stopped it (even though I do like that Jones girls song).

EDIT: i skipped to the next song, eugene gamble on jetstream, really nice cut i haven't heard before. now the player crashed though.

Isn't that just ian's style though Bob?

There's some nice stuff on the podcasts in my view.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

i got annoyed at the introduction bragging about the "amazing 15 hours" of rare soul music and then saying the jones girls are from chicago and I stopped it (even though I do like that Jones girls song)

Hi Boba, A message from a friend.

" I never said the Jones Girls were from Chicago, I said THAT song was. It was produced by Richie Tufo and recorded in Chicago. So were their songs on Curtom. David Ruffin and Jimmy Ruffin came from Mississippi, but it didn't stop their songs being from Detroit. That song is bloody PURE Chicago."

I hope you were able to get the player working again and listen to the full podcast.

Best regards

Social source share

" I never said the Jones Girls were from Chicago, I said THAT song was. It was produced by Richie Tufo and recorded in Chicago. So were their songs on Curtom. David Ruffin and Jimmy Ruffin came from Mississippi, but it didn't stop their songs being from Detroit. That song is bloody PURE Chicago."

nice :)

I will download and listen to the whole thing in my car today.

Social source share

OK, I just listened to the whole thing all the way through (at home -- I'm supposed to be asleep and have an early doctor's appointment). The first hour was the most enjoyable for me because it was the most soulish. I couldn't deal with the beach sounds and pop / rock sounds and some tracks (like that jaywalkers) sounded like straight hard rock. For some reason the podcast was weighted more and more toward those sounds as it went on. I did like two white things though:

- that bobby ramp thing at the end was nice

- I really liked that Prodigal Sons "Such a beautiful thing". But to me it's definitely not soul at all. I liked it because I like zombies style sunshine pop. I wouldn't play it as a soul record. I just googled it and it's even on people's sunshine pop blogs, comparing it to the free design.

Three really good records I didn't know were:

Eugene Gamble on Jetstream

Freddie Williams - Name in Lights - Hollywood

Barbara English on Aurora

I just bit the bullet and bought the gamble and williams records from Craig Moerer as googling made it look like there weren't really other copies around and his prices weren't that much higher than the going rate. It's funny that I didn't know the Barbara English because Ian says "here's one that everyone will know." I guess it's because I don't know much about northern soul. It appears to be expensive so I'll wait for it on ebay...

Also, I usually buy AVI records when I see them but didn't have that peggy scott and jo jo benson thing, it was decent.

I sent the mix to Keni Rightout, lead on that Center Stage cut, hopefully he likes it.

Here is some random additional information about some of the questions / things that came up in the mix:

- the perfections on calgar is from milwaukee. one of the members later cut two singles as Harold on the Je Har label

- renaldo domino "two years..." was supposedly an unreleased track until recently. It was pressed by the numero group on a replica "Sincere" label. But the numero group was pressing it, it never came out on the Sincere label back in the day. However, a copy recently turned up on a Twinight promo -- an original pressing from the early 70s. So it actually was released on the Twinight label, but it's super rare

- the "parral" label that maurice jackson is on was partially owned by Clarence Ludd, who owned the High Chaparral (hence the name). There also were two Maurice Jacksons recording in Chicago, which is confusing, but this is the "Lucky fellow" and Independents guy.

- There were two Sequins groups in LA. The renfro group's membership / discography is this:

SEQUINS, THE (Los Angeles, CA)

Ruth Davis, Lee Hill, Moddess King.

Renfro 112 A Case Of Love / You're All I Need

Renfro 113 That Boy / He's A Flirt

Renfro 126 A Case Of Love / He's A Flirt (66)

the A&M group's membership / discography is this:

RIBBONS, THE (Los Angeles, CA)

Vessie Simmons (lead), Arthetta Gibson, Lovie ? , Evelyn Doty.

Marsh 202 Ain't Gonna Kiss Ya / My Baby Said (12/62)

Marsh 203 This Is Our Melody / After Last Night (63)

Gramo 107 Teach Me How To Dance (Each And Everybody) / I'd Like To Be (as Evelyn Doty & The Ribbons) (64)

Parkway 912 They Played A Sad Song / Melodie D'Amour (64)

(below as The Sequins)

A&M 761 Who Says We Can't Jerk To The Old Time Blues? / I'll Be Satisfied (65)

(below as The Sandpapers)

Charger

114 Ain't Gonna Kiss Ya / My Baby Said (65)

117 Ain't Gonna Kiss Ya / My Baby Said (67)

- not really information, but the last record by the Chantels -- you should flip it over, "I'm gonna win him back" is one of my favorite female group songs of all time. I play it next to Celestrals "Keep your hands off my baby", to me they have a similar vibe.

Finally, I wanted to avoid nitpicking or being negative, but I have to say one negative thing. That Robert Plant record was AWFUL. He can't sing, and the whole production is a mess. It's also a cover of the Sharpees, which is an actually good track:

This is not a personal attack, if you like it better, that's fine, different strokes for different folks. But to me it was one of the worst cuts in the whole mix.

Finally, I think you (Ian) should enlist Pete's help in cleaning some of your records that played crackly.

Thanks for making this interesting mix.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Finally, I wanted to avoid nitpicking or being negative, but I have to say one negative thing. That Robert Plant record was AWFUL. He can't sing, and the whole production is a mess. It's also a cover of the Sharpees, which is an actually good track:

It's one of the best British produced Northern Soul records I've ever heard - it's as good as Steve Aldo, John Andrews...you need to understand the genre before you slag it off Bob.

Social source share

It's one of the best British produced Northern Soul records I've ever heard - it's as good as Steve Aldo, John Andrews...you need to understand the genre before you slag it off Bob.

Why would you need to understand a genre of soul msuic before you can form an opinion on the quality ? It's pretty poor arguement in defence of a pretty poor tune. If you really understand soul musc, then you'll understand that Robert Plant isn't a soul singer, and the track isn't a soul record.

Social source share

Why would you need to understand a genre of soul msuic before you can form an opinion on the quality ? It's pretty poor arguement in defence of a pretty poor tune. If you really understand soul musc, then you'll understand that Robert Plant isn't a soul singer, and the track isn't a soul record.

Here again with your smart arse comments aren't you, I never mentioned SOUL I said NORTHERN SOUL which is a totally different genre in case you hadn't noticed, if you have never heard British produced Northern Soul then how can you make sense of it?

It's a fine British Northern Soul production.

chapter five

ray merrell

mickey moonshine

john andrews

the chants

bobby goldsboro

all great UK produced northern soul records, not soul records, none are by soul singers and none claim to be

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Here again with your smart arse comments aren't you, I never mentioned SOUL I said NORTHERN SOUL which is a totally different genre in case you hadn't noticed, if you have never heard British produced Northern Soul then how can you make sense of it?

It's a fine British Northern Soul production. Go away now.

Another point of arguement, but nothing new or persuasive. Any arguement that defends a record being played on the basis if being Northern Soul, rather than Soul, is already lost on me I'm afraid.

Why do you feel the need to be so agressive when others don't agree with your limited opinions on musiic ?

Social source share

Another point of arguement, but nothing new or persuasive. Any arguement that defends a record being played on the basis if being Northern Soul, rather than Soul, is already lost on me I'm afraid.

Why do you feel the need to be so agressive when others don't agree with your limited opinions on musiic ?

Why do you feel the need to look down your nose at people who don't agree with your limited opinions on music?

Social source share