Anyone Collect 78's ?

Guest sharmo 1

Guest sharmo 1

Hi there i've not long started collecting 78's mainly R-n-B and mamba type thing's and have found that one or two on here have collected for a long time out of intrest does anyone else collect them and if so what types of music regards Simon.

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi there i've not long started collecting 78's mainly R-n-B and mamba type thing's and have found that one or two on here have collected for a long time out of intrest does anyone else collect them and if so what types of music regards Simon.

Me - I've got a few thousand of the buggers....

I collect across the board, of course, but the vast majority of mine are either R&B or hillbilly.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Jazz 78's are still highly sought after by the fans of that music; heavy, man !!

Yes they are heavy. I brought a hundred or so down from my mother-in-laws a while ago. They weigh a ton! Did a bit of research but they all turned out to be Scottish country dancing records. :(

Social source share

Guest Ti Mamze

I don't have a big collection of 78s, maybe a few hundred, but there's very little trash. R&B and Blues mostly.

Some things you just can't get on 45.

My most recent find is a very nice copy of Roosevelt Sykes' "The Honey Dripper" on Bluebird.

Social source share

Guest welshruss

About 2 year ago the local Hospice asked me to sell about 300 of the things (for there charity monies).Could i sell them.... abig fat no no...so i ended up giving them to a local charity shop to sell....told them to send the money to the Hospice....

Mostly Frank Sinatra..big bands...Frank I field et al.....some good stuff to my ears.Spent nearly a week listening to em all.Liked it a lot.....Russ

Social source share

I have a few from my mothers collection . A few Elvis , Carl Perkins, Country & western & Irish show band stuff. When did 78`s stop being produced?

Are there any " soul " records in the 78 format?, i know blues & R & B stuff was in 78 form but be interested if any soul recording were.

Social source share

In the UK 78's were being phased out at the end of the 50's ..... for a while new record releases would be available on both 78 & 7" but that wasn't for long.

THING IS THOUGH .... the big UK companies weren't just going to throw decent machinery away .... so they shipped the unwanted 78 making equipment out to places like India (+ other old Commonweath countries) & the local branch of EMI (or whoever) went on using them through to 1964-ish.

So, the answer to the question of are there soul releases on 78 is ... YES but only really from places like India (& there are even Beatles records on 78 from there).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I don't collect them as such, just pick them up as I go along.... they are for playing at the club, both myself and one of our guests Liam Paterson have played 78's at basics

Social source share

Collecting old 78s was one of my first forays into serious record collecting. I specialized in blues, jazz, R&B, Rock & Roll, Doo Wop & local New Zealand stuff, traded with a lot of overseas collectors. I ended up with a pretty strong collection of about a thousand quality titles. I sold up around 10 years ago since I had started focussing on 45s more & LPs also. Let everything go on ebay in a massive listing frenzy & made some good money. I thought I was 78 free after that but about a year/18 months back found a box of about 30 that I had stashed at my parents place years ago (really good UK modern jazz from the late 40s/50s). Sold them off locally really cheap (some dude got bargains, I think I sold him all them for $20 or something ridiculous, there is just no local 78 market here anymore because everyone died....) & have been really 78 free since then.

Funny thing is like the week after I sold that last little box off I got phoned about a 1000 piece early jazz collection for $1000. I went and looked at it, could have made my money back easily off maybe a dozen of the choice titles. But ultimately decided I didn't want to venture down that track again so I bought the paper goods & passed the record buy onto another local collector.

So yeah, 78 free & loving it :thumbup:

Oh yeah, just made some good cash on ebay off some african ethnic 78s from the 40s/50s :thumbsup: got them from the deceased estate of a family friend for free, they lived in africa for a bit after WWII, interesting sounding stuff, pretty cool music actually.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Are there any " soul " records in the 78 format?

THING IS THOUGH .... the big UK companies weren't just going to throw decent machinery away .... so they shipped the unwanted 78 making equipment out to places like India (+ other old Commonweath countries) & the local branch of EMI (or whoever) went on using them through to 1964-ish.

My first thought here was India - I knew they were producing 78's well into the 1960's.

Here's an interesting little article with reference to both India and the Phillipines.

https://www.recordcol...artid=54&page=1

MB

Social source share

My first thought here was India - I knew they were producing 78's well into the 1960's.

Here's an interesting little article with reference to both India and the Phillipines.

https://www.recordcol...artid=54&page=1

MB

Thanks for that , very interesting read. Begs the question if other soul labels released 78`s

Social source share

Guest Ti Mamze

I have a few from my mothers collection . A few Elvis , Carl Perkins, Country & western & Irish show band stuff. When did 78`s stop being produced?

Are there any " soul " records in the 78 format?, i know blues & R & B stuff was in 78 form but be interested if any soul recording were.

It's my understanding that the last 78s made in the U.S. date from 1961. I recently saw a 78 of Ted Taylor's "Since You're Home" [great tune] on Duke 304, issued in 1959.

Social source share

Love 78s!!

Great sound and if they don't break they can take a real kickin and still play great.

Gottem all over the shop, both genre wise and in fact all over the apartment

Take a lot of room to store, and I don't really have it but the Mrs is very understanding.

I've often thought if someone took the time & trouble to press up some stompers & shouters from 45s to 78s

over a big system they'd sound great. Not ever likely to happen though. Shame.

Social source share

Always loved 78s and still buy them, though not in the quantity I used to.

I started off collecting UK chart hits from 1952 to 1969, so the bulk of releases up to 1958 were best available on 78 - I stll have all of them!

What I do now have is a nice 78 issue of "Baby Please Don't Go" by Jo Ann Henderson on Phonograph, and I've been trying to find a release date for it - not easy!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert