Influences

Guest Brett

Which people influenced you when it came to being a part of the Rare(Northern) Soul Scene.

For me it was a fellow across the road from where I lived...Steve Tweed, his brother Johnathon was a mate of mine and lent me a tape, back in 78, things like Donnie Burkes , Major Lance, Yum Yums etc, Steve was a regular at Wigan etc and I was fascinated by these people who would stay out all night then sleep through the next day.....

Later in the early 80's I would listen (after been told) to Richard Searling on a local radio Show, this for me was a revelation (at the time he allocated just 5 Northern tracks to a 2 hour show..Remember the scene had at that time supposedly nosed dived) The natural progression was to attend Soul events, we would frequent Clifton Hall, and on occasion a coach would leave Sheffield bus station at 10.30 headed for Cleethorpes, which we as young guns would support (quiet at the front). Of course over the ensuing years I became friendly with many folks, and even to this day I am still being influenced by many fans of this incredible music. Guys like Mark Bicknell, Paul Havekin, Mark Etheridge, Stevie Z, Tony Jackson, Mark Baildon, Jamie Hartford, Pat Brady, Steve Mannion, Rich Buckley, Karl White, Errol Green, Paul Sadot, Ted Massey, Nige Shaw, Phil Rains,Gareth Sweeney, Ben Summers, Lisa Hurley, Niki Golding, Stevie Cato, Rich Evans, Nick Hackett, Hannah Moore, Andy Whitmore, Chris Morgan, Andy Taylor, Ady Croadsell, Gene Robertson, Martin Dixon,Keb Darge Chris Anderton and Dave Rimmer... All good people who have given me their time and experience and as a whole made my life richer for their enthusiasm towards my endless questions.

Brett

Social source share

• Replies 88
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Which people influenced you when it came to being a part of the Rare(Northern) Soul Scene.

For me it was a fellow across the road from where I lived...Steve Tweed, his brother Johnathon was a mate of mine and lent me a tape, back in 78, things like Donnie Burkes , Major Lance, Yum Yums etc, Steve was a regular at Wigan etc and I was fascinated by these people who would stay out all night then sleep through the next day.....

Later in the early 80's I would listen (after been told) to Richard Searling on a local radio Show, this for me was a revelation (at the time he allocated just 5 Northern tracks to a 2 hour show..Remember the scene had at that time supposedly nosed dived) The natural progression was to attend Soul events, we would frequent Clifton Hall, and on occasion a coach would leave Sheffield bus station at 10.30 headed for Cleethorpes, which we as young guns would support (quiet at the front). Of course over the ensuing years I became friendly with many folks, and even to this day I am still being influenced by many fans of this incredible music. Guys like Mark Bicknell, Paul Havekin, Mark Etheridge, Stevie Z, Tony Jackson, Mark Baildon, Jamie Hartford, Pat Brady, Steve Mannion, Rich Buckley, Karl White, Errol Green, Paul Sadot, Ted Massey, Nige Shaw, Phil Rains,Gareth Sweeney, Ben Summers, Lisa Hurley, Niki Golding, Stevie Cato, Rich Evans, Nick Hackett, Hannah Moore, Andy Whitmore, Chris Morgan, Andy Taylor, Ady Croadsell, Gene Robertson, Martin Dixon,Keb Darge Chris Anderton and Dave Rimmer... All good people who have given me their time and experience and as a whole made my life richer for their enthusiasm towards my endless questions.

Brett

First person who did a tape for me back in 84 was a guy called Phil Hall who did a few local spots round Manchester way and I've stil got it now...after that I latched on to lots of people who had more records than me...one of these was my mate Nick, a fellow City fan, from Manchester who I worked with at the Co-op...loads of crossover,mid tempo stuff that's big nowadays he had 20 years ago...and I thought I'd mention him as he's recently signed up to this forum... tongue.gif Hello Nick wink.gif .....he'll be embarrassed now :shades:

Now my biggest influence is my other half Richard..... :thumbsup: obviously tongue.gif and the Greatstone boys of course :unsure:

Social source share

Good thread .....

For me it was GLYN REARDON from Nuneaton and ADEY HARLEY from Brighouse (now in Australia) who set me on this path of never any money .... unless it's for vinyl.

Still have the tape Glyn did me ..... March 1985 .... got things like Sharon McMahon (covered up as Florence Millar), Huns Review, Headlines, Carol Anderson ..... loads of stuff that's massive today.

I still look back at this tape as being a defining moment for me scene wise ..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Howard Earshaw(Soul Up North)..He gave us our first dj spot at the Waggon N Horses,Leeds Road Hudds back in 81/82..Me and my mate doulble decked for 30 mins each week after that,i got a pint of Shandy i think...Howard then took us with the older crowd to Clifton Hall and Morecambe Pier,Gene Chandler live....That was me hooked..Also Pat Brady,we would go to his soul nights on Thursdays in 82 at the Wharehouse in Leeds....Throught the 80s Rodger Banks was our top dj,we would go to see him play all over the place after the Stafford sound came through...Nice topic...

steve

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Randy Cozens, Roger Stewart, Tony Rounce, The Two Pauls, Mark Bicknell, Kim Styles, Tony Ellis, Ian Clarke............ :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Brett

Hi Brett ,I had left "Northern" soul in the late 70s,somewhat dissilusioned :thumbsup:

About a dozen years ago,I literaly bumped into a guy coming out of "earwaves" in the corn exchange ,Manchester.I was going into the record shop and he was on his way out.

One of those people who ,after apologies,you instantly take a liking to .His name is Neil Brown,his mentor Ted Massey.Neil was only in his late twenties then ,but boy did he introduce me to some tunes.

I played a snippet of "Joe Valentine" off an old knackered tape .Three years later when in the 'States looking for tunes he remembers !

A good friend now ,we are still introducing each other to tunes either of us do not know ,until played down the 'phone.Neil The person who re-introduced me to Quality rare and not so rare soul.Thanks Neil :unsure: Steve

Social source share

Hi Brett ,I had left "Northern" soul in the late 70s,somewhat dissilusioned :shades:

About a dozen years ago,I literaly bumped into a guy coming out of "earwaves" in the corn exchange ,Manchester.I was going into the record shop and he was on his way out.

One of those people who ,after apologies,you instantly take a liking to .His name is Neil Brown,his mentor Ted Massey.Neil was only in his late twenties then ,but boy did he introduce me to some tunes.

I played a snippet of "Joe Valentine" off an old knackered tape .Three years later when in the 'States looking for tunes he remembers !

A good friend now ,we are still introducing each other to tunes either of us do not know ,until played down the 'phone.Neil The person who re-introduced me to Quality rare and not so rare soul.Thanks Neil wink.gif Steve

Heard Neil at Wilton couple of years ago (sure it was him :thumbsup:tongue.gif ) and he played a great set :unsure:

Social source share

As a teenager mid 70s I went to a place called the Walton Hop in Surrey. You may recall the name as it was infamously mentioned at the trial of Johnathon King (ex Radio 1 DJ, record producer & paedophile). Fortunately I don't remember him but I know others that do. Anyway thats where I first came across northern soul dancing.

One of the other characters at the Walton Hop was a lad called Jimmy Percy. He sort of introduced me to northern soul & then went off & found fame & fortune with Sham 69. Funny old world innit?

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

my dads mate did him 9 wigan oldies tapes in the late 80s. i went to florida on a family holiday and whilst bored out of my skull i played these tapes on my dads walkman. i remember being sat by the pool drinking lager thru one of those plastic sports beakers (you have to be 21 to drink in the states) listening to all these motown sounding tunes and slowly falling in love with them.

my dad, who knew nothing about the northern scene, told me that motown music was from detroit and northern soul was philadelphia.

Dad, god bless ya but you was wrong :thumbsup:

my real mentor was Paul from sheffield. big thanks to him. i can also thank joe dutton for being very patient with me :unsure: . first dj icon was roger banks for sure.

Shane

Social source share

My first proper outings where in and around Cheshire area .... influences were Johnny Beggs, Pete Hollander in that area. Other great firsts for me were Carl Fortnum, Pat Brady.

Jumping Joan gave me a tape many many years ago with lots of girlie things on it so she's to blame for my taste in soul music (Connie Questell :thumbsup: )

Social source share

my dads mate did him 9 wigan oldies tapes in the late 80s. i went to florida on a family holiday and whilst bored out of my skull i played these tapes on my dads walkman. i remember being sat by the pool drinking lager thru one of those plastic sports beakers (you have to be 21 to drink in the states) listening to all these motown sounding tunes and slowly falling in love with them.

my dad, who knew nothing about the northern scene, told me that motown music was from detroit and northern soul was philadelphia.

Dad, god bless ya but you was wrong :lol:

my real mentor was Paul from sheffield. big thanks to him. i can also thank joe dutton for being very patient with me :lol: . first dj icon was roger banks for sure.

Shane

"Plastic Sport Beakers".....ManAlive....i nearly swallowed my tongue.....incredible line....

:thumbsup::unsure: ....Good God In Heaven..Thank The Lord for a Rascal like Shane Higgins........

Shouting to my left......"CLARE....BEER ME......."

Good Comedy Writes Itself...........

Brett...... :lol:

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Good thread .....

For me it was GLYN REARDON from Nuneaton

:thumbsup:

Good old Glyn, unfortunately sold up and quit the scene a couple of years ago :unsure:

Matt

Social source share

No particular order Steve Croft;Sian Hampsey;Kieth Fox,Ady Croasdell,Bub,Dickie S,and loads of other`s,and me mate`s from Barnsley,Russ Steel & and brother Gaz,them thats still here are still around,still bump into em` now and again,i have heard S Crofts about again,any truth to this rumor?.............Nearly forgot Keb(geebaby).

Edited by ken
Social source share

I've said this before i'll say it again for me my biggest influence without a shadow of a doubt head and shoulders above the rest is Ian Clark, at Yate he was the man, early days of the 100 Club he was the man, Cashmeres, Elbie Parker, Joann Courcy, Empires, Paris, Bobby Kline etc. he had them all, his passion for the music perfection and presentation as a DJ inspired me, i only wish he was still out there doing it, and more important than the records etc. Ian is one hell of a nice bloke.

Respect to the DJ's DJ - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Ha ha,off topic a bit bit.... went to FLorida in the early 90s, I was just 21 but my step brother was 20..he spent the whole fortnight drinking jack daniels out of a " plastic sports beaker"...with a straw :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ha ha,off topic a bit bit.... went to FLorida in the early 90s, I was just 21 but my step brother was 20..he spent the whole fortnight drinking jack daniels out of a " plastic sports beaker"...with a straw :lol:
Hi You two(never know who's logged on) :thumbsup: Was he driven to use the straw because of listening to "Northern" soul :unsure::lol: ATB Stevie
Social source share

Must add that Richie Andrew when I met him was a big influence on me to, landed up marrying him. :lol: I love him realy

And what a wonderful couple you are, i have fond memories of both of you.......... Anne at the "Ducie" playing "Casuals On The Square" and your delightful husband playing "The Look On Your Face"........ at Mark Bicknells Sheridans evening.... :unsure:

Social source share

And what a wonderful couple you are, i have fond memories of both of you.......... Anne at the "Ducie" playing "Casuals On The Square" and your delightful husband playing "The Look On Your Face"........ at Mark Bicknells Sheridans evening.... :unsure:

Great tunes :lol:

But I thought WALT DISNAY :lol::D

:lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

I've said this before i'll say it again for me my biggest influence without a shadow of a doubt head and shoulders above the rest is Ian Clark, at Yate he was the man, early days of the 100 Club he was the man, Cashmeres, Elbie Parker, Joann Courcy, Empires, Paris, Bobby Kline etc. he had them all, his passion for the music perfection and presentation as a DJ inspired me, i only wish he was still out there doing it, and more important than the records etc. Ian is one hell of a nice bloke.

Respect to the DJ's DJ - Mark Bicknell.

I cannot agree more Mark or have put it so eloquently !!!.

I started going nighters in '77 & to be honest I was just like a man possessed, Im not really sure that I was overtly influenced back then, all I wanted to do was dance, dance, dance, pardon the pun.........I went every were, but mostly Wigan & Yate, so I spose I was influenced in the early days soulfully by the music policy & DJ's at these venues I mean Richard Searling was god like to me, in my eyes everything this man played turned to gold.

I dont think that it was until Wigan closed that I really started to get into the music in a big way, actually listening properly & starting to collect. My main influences post Wigan have got to be first & foremost the 100 Club, then Stafford & then Soul Essence, amongst many, many others. DJ wise has to be Ian Clarke,Richard Searling, Butch, Keb, Guy, Terry Jones, Keith & Maxine woon, Gavin Page (Hold the Jazz pse) Nikki Golding, Mark Houghton, Ivor Jones, Ady Croasdale, Carl Fortnum, Gary Spencer, Adam, Randy Cozens, Dave Thorley, Shay Richardson, Andy Mann (Amazing taste) Ben Summers, Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn (sh*t.how can you forget Arthur, man) Colin Law, Rob Marriot................too many to mention.........but my influences over the past ten to twenty odd years have got to be the music policy at the 100 Club & Soul Essence. Nearly forgot Chris Anderton, John Weston, & in particular Saus.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

No particular order Steve Croft;Sian Hampsey;Kieth Fox,Ady Croasdell,Bub,Dickie S,and loads of other`s,and me mate`s from Barnsley,Russ Steel & and brother Gaz,them thats still here are still around,still bump into em` now and again,i have heard S Crofts about again,any truth to this rumor?.............Nearly forgot Keb(geebaby).

Think Crofty has a market stall in Chesterfiel Ken. Think Chalky knows more.

Sean Hampsey. :unsure: still see Sean, absolutley incredible taste in music. Waiting to get into his record room again for more great crossover gems.

Social source share

Think Crofty has a market stall in Chesterfiel Ken. Think Chalky knows more.

Sean Hampsey. :lol: still see Sean, absolutley incredible taste in music. Waiting to get into his record room again for more great crossover gems.

Steve does live near me, his wife and he have a nursery (plants) near me and sell the stock on Chesterfield market...or did. Very rare I get into town now so don't see him. I'll ask me mother, he always asked her how is Chalky :lol:

Sean Hamsey gotta agree with Steve, fantastic taste in music, he has also moved to Chesterfield now :lol::thumbsup: Must call him up :unsure:

As for my influences? so many. Rob Wigley and Andy Tats Taylor two early influences on me. But there were so many in the 80's who had an influence either with there promotions, djing or just being mates and being there.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Tony Dellar-Ive never known a man who enjoys Djing so much, I'm proud to be his friend.

Colin Curtis-On what was a limited budget he was there when it was happening and consistantly delivered the goods

Martyn Ellis- Mr personality, end of

Dave Evison- who taught me to treat punters with respect.

However the man who influenced me is Mr Croasdale. despite putting so much back he remains one of the scenes most approachable characters and thanks for Sharon Scott-"Dont be afraid" :thumbsup:

Social source share

...Click Clarke, Dave Moore, Pete Wileman...all the Hinckley crew that regularly attended Wigan when we were to young to go and played music and did stunts in the back garden for us in the summer...got em going again for a while when we started doin' the nighters at Stafford n Leicester in the early 80s...good days, good people

Edited by Jim.
Social source share

'Brett' date='Jan 6 2006, 08:52 PM' :P

And what a wonderful couple you are, i have fond memories of both of you.......... Anne at the "Ducie" playing "Casuals On The Square" and your delightful husband playing "The Look On Your Face"........ at Mark Bicknells Sheridans evening.... :D

Social source share

my early infuence was my big brother paul and then they would be barry tasker, richard searling, rod shard, dave withers soul sam, these were from the 70's then i left the scene in the late 70's, on return to the scene in the 90's my influences have been les hare, carl willingham, (paul havekin, tony jackson we have our friendship and bounce ideas off each other) ross (john roche very sadly missed). soul sam, the orwell guys, and all those tapes from different people i cant thank you enough, for helping to drain my bank account :lol:

mark

Social source share

Guest SteveC

The boro posse that got me into into it without them even knowing in 75/76, Chris Cozens (who Molly and I bumped into at Gatwick on the way to Pisa last month, small world), Big Frank Weston, Debbie Pearce and once up and running, Brian Rae at the Fleet and St Ives. Moving into the 80's, Ady C, Guy H, Keb and any other DJ's who I didn't hear play at Stafford :angry:

More recently the extreme knowledge and passion of Tim B.

Social source share

The boro posse that got me into into it without them even knowing in 75/76, Chris Cozens (who Molly and I bumped into at Gatwick on the way to Pisa last month, small world), Big Frank Weston, Debbie Pearce and once up and running, Brian Rae at the Fleet and St Ives. Moving into the 80's, Ady C, Guy H, Keb and any other DJ's who I didn't hear play at Stafford :angry:

More recently the extreme knowledge and passion of Tim B.

========

mine are russ winstanley and ian levine

both influenced me to search for and obtain those forgotten 60's and 70's oldie that one day ill hope to make big again...

russ often gets slated for some of the stuff he played but in between the dross he spun some corkers

regards

fluff

Social source share

Although i was already into soul music collecting from schooldays it was Bob Slater who put me on the road to the rarer side of things----What lables /artists /producers to look for------never asked him a soul related question he didnt have the answer for-------or didnt have the record tucked away somewhere----and not a pretintious/big headed bone in his body--------thanks Bob youve cost me thousands!!!!

Social source share

the old leicester tiffs/ saracens head/palais crowd circa 74/75ish

kev kershaw, charley mulholland,dave dunnet,etc.etc. etc.

paul rudzitis for his great dj manner and professionalism and allowing me to d.j. at such a tender age at the sarro's, pete robbo(mars bar) for those mad coaches to the mecca/casino in one night do's, also his eye for fashion, green all in one tank suit and plastic sandals mmm nice.

the late tim mane, the 1st person i knew who could and would spend fifty sixty quid on a record which back then was three times what i earnt in a week, bad deal with the tommy sands though tim lol.

and mr cool back then paul shelvington aka shelvo, for introducing me to so many good mecca tracks, a better dress sense and a joy de vivre that still exists today.

and the late jez partridge for leading me astray and just so many laughs.

and not forgetting everybody who hung out in leicester selectadisc at weekends aaah halcion days :lol:

Social source share

the old leicester tiffs/ saracens head/palais crowd circa 74/75ish

kev kershaw, charley mulholland,dave dunnet,etc.etc. etc.

Charley Mulholland, now theres a name I havn't heard in many years! :lol:

Social source share

Biggest influence on me was Chris Fletcher's "Soul-Source" magazine out of Nottingham circa '79. This introduced me to the world of "newies" and made me realise the importance of keeping things moving forward. All the following Dj's at various times - Richard Searling,Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn,Poke, Keb and Guy. Also a special mention to Ady Connolly (Derby) whose awesome collection early '80s was a never ending inspiration.

Social source share

My major influences ?

From Scotland.......... Keith Whitson ( always played great 60's sets)

Jock O'Connor( all round great taste)

Peter McKernan (astounding collection)

From England............Guy & Keb

Gary Rushbrooke

Adam & Robin Salter (introduced me to modern ta!)

there are others but these were my key early influences.

Derek Jack

Social source share

Charley Mulholland, now theres a name I havn't heard in many years! :lol:

charley and kev were a couple of years older than me, and were established on the scene as i got into it, both taking me under there respective wings and showing me the the ropes so to speak lol.

i i haven't seen charley for about 25 years, he was one of the funniest lads i knew, his late younger sister theresa was a sweetheart too, kev kershaw is back into it all again, i see him at the half time orange do's in leicester. i must find out what charley's upto these days.

Social source share

Biggest influence on me was Chris Fletcher's "Soul-Source" magazine out of Nottingham circa '79. This introduced me to the world of "newies" and made me realise the importance of keeping things moving forward. All the following Dj's at various times - Richard Searling,Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn,Poke, Keb and Guy. Also a special mention to Ady Connolly (Derby) whose awesome collection early '80s was a never ending inspiration.

less of all the notts derby acknowledgements salty balls, what about about leics, loughborough town hall and the y.w.c.a. etc. :lol::P

Social source share

Where do i start way back in the early 70s twas browny who got me started on this scene in Stafford there were 2 djs who were the main men on the scene at the time Barry Low & Barry Morgan sadly neither of them are with us but they used to play the top soul sounds in and around stafford at that time.Twas probly down to then most of the Stafford lot started goin to niters :lol:

But these days Keith Money always comes up with somethin new so dose Andy Dyson very underestermated IMO

This one is the one that will shock alot of you Kim Cook (aka cookie) She was always very inivative with her selection of records got a good ear for a sound & eye for a bargin.No this aint a wind up we mite not see eye to eye these days but i have to pay her the credit she deserves

HB :P

Social source share

I was always into the indie scene, stone roses, happy mondays, primal scream, etc....but became very bored with listening to the same albums over and over. The guy at my local record shop was always giving me different albums to listen to but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for , a different sound. My dad is bang into the soul music and I've heard northern and motown all my life so a few years ago I asked for a few northern cd's. I played these all christmas day and songs Id heard and qite liked popped up - judy street, jimmy clarke, dean parrish and I was a happy chappy with my new tunes going out and buying more cd's.

Then something strange happened. I was in my first year at uni and led in bed one night and listening to a new cd Id bought and Bobby Paris - I walked away came on. I cant explain the feeling I got when I heard that tune but it literally changed my life.

I then discovered that there was an all nighter in manchester at the CIS and the rest is history.

I will always be thankfull to my Dad for those 3 cd's, Steve Cato for introducing me to the nighter scene, Chris Waterman for looking after me when I was skint and especially to Sharron (reg) for giving me and matty lifts every week to all these different venue's.

To these people, thank you :)

Edited by PaulB
Social source share

After a 22 yr absence I was taken to THE CROSS KEYS , HEDNESFORD and later THE AQAURIUS unbeknown that the scene was thriving , it was there I was introduced to NIGE BROWN , NIGE SHAW and SPOOK .The records they played blew me away. Later I attended a soul night run by MARK BICKNELL in STOCKPORT. So let it be known my missus is blaming you for my addiction, :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!