Kashif - Rumors @ Leicester 2Nd Anniversary

Mark R

Great vid Mark. Takes me back to the first time I heard Sam play it at Cleggy as a new release (1983?).

This was standard stuff at allnighters in the early 80's and a VERY big record.

Can't imagine you could drop it in a Nighter set nowadays though.

Don't you find that strange?

Brand new release, acceptable (MASSIVE) at the time, but impossible (too 'modern') 30 years later!

SWONS

:0)

Sean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes Sean, what you say is exactly what I feel.

Not come as far as we sometimes like to think have we? When you look at this there was no migration of the dance floor to music like this.

Play it now in a similar environment, or even it's 2012 equivalent, and your new DJ handle would be Moses!!!

Strange but true!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

a few years ago when the west end club in Coalville was going great guns, me & Bob used to chuck in some modern in the last hour, i remember playing this track off the LP...&.It went down really well :yes:

Well that's great to hear!!

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I desperately look into that crowd whenever I see this vid....and never see ME.... :wicked: ....I'm sure I've been at Brian and Madaline's and saw myself on the original uncut VHS....I had bad bins and a crew cut heavy knit top on...Nads!!

(I need to grow up ay!?)

Social source share

Great vid Mark. Takes me back to the first time I heard Sam play it at Cleggy as a new release (1983?).

This was standard stuff at allnighters in the early 80's and a VERY big record.

Can't imagine you could drop it in a Nighter set nowadays though.

Don't you find that strange?

Brand new release, acceptable (MASSIVE) at the time, but impossible (too 'modern') 30 years later!

SWONS

:0)

Sean

Spot on there Sean....great times with great music to match -.....new releases played along side obscure 60s soul nae bother.......great video to!!!

ktf tfk :rofl:

Edited by tfk
Social source share

heavy knit top on...Nads!!

(I need to grow up ay!?)

When I looked at that clip I thought fecking hell there's people wearing jumpers! :ohmy: But, Barry was wearing a heavy knit top! What the feck is a heavy knit top - is that summat yer mam knitted up for yer our kid? :wicked::D

It was sweltering in Odd Fellows.

I'm definiitely on the proper vid.

:yes:

Peter

Social source share

When I looked at that clip I thought fecking hell there's people wearing jumpers! :ohmy: But, Barry was wearing a heavy knit top! What the feck is a heavy knit top - is that summat yer mam knitted up for yer our kid? :wicked::D

It was sweltering in Odd Fellows.

I'm definiitely on the proper vid.

:yes:

Peter

Cap Sleeve Pete...keep up it was the 80's son :wink:

Social source share

Great clip!Some great new releases from that era and many still sound fresh.

Here is my fav new release from that time(couple of years later) reminds me of Rock City :)

ditto....... thousands of great records from back then that have stood the test of time...head and shoulders above etc etc

ktf tfk :rofl:

Social source share

I think i might have been wearing a cap sleeve tee shirt on that night - it looks shite!

LOL

:D

I definitely was......and a wedgey haircut.......and zoot/peg style trousers and nifty slip on dancing shoes!! You remeber all that 80's stuff!

Funny thing is, like Barry I hardly appear on that vid, but someone a while back posted two or three stills from the video, and remarkably they'd unwittingly found me sitting on the stage during the dance comp I think......check the wedge......

post-4568-0-09935700-1350421161_thumb.jp

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 1
Social source share

====

me too ..

to this day after 31 years still top 3 allniters of my whole life ....(behind end of an era t wigan and ric rtic revue)

Hi Mark,

I've mentioned this before, so at the risk going over old ground and boring everyone, the Ric-Tic was my first EVER all nighter, so not a bad one to pick to introduce a young 16 year-old to all this!!

It's a long time ago, so much of it is hardly vivid in my memory, but bits are. I'll never forget walking into Hinckley, after handing over my ticket for the Ric-Tic, and entering that big hall with everyone dancing and that sound. Funny thing was, Hinckley being a Leisure Centre, had crap acoustics and I remember the sound was bouncing around off the walls and causing a delay/phasing of the sound. Not actually condusive to a good night, but somehow that added to the effect on that first experience for this 16 year old, just walking in to it the first time!!

And as you say, 13 months later Leicester 2nd Anniversary. Amongst my memories of this are going downstairs (first time it was opened due to Anniversary numbers? - at one point you can hear Rushbrook say "downstairs is now open"). This was probably the first time I'd seen Keb DJ, having I'm certain heard lots about him from big Steve and those guys. Anyway, I just remember vividly hearing the thump on the floor above from the dancers, and recall thinking that the floor (roof of the downstairs room) was moving, though I'm sure that couldn't have been the case.

As life experiences go, events like this had a profound influence on me, I guess same for a lot of us, and I can only imagine what that place in Lancashire was like, but I don't rue not being old enough to go there.....these were my times, and there were probably a good many that went to Wigan etc that weren't around at Hinckley/Leicester/Stafford etc........

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I definitely was......and a wedgey haircut.......and zoot/peg style trousers and nifty slip on dancing shoes!! You remeber all that 80's stuff!

Funny thing is, like Barry I hardly appear on that vid, but someone a while back posted two or three stills from the video, and remarkably they'd unwittingly found me sitting on the stage during the dance comp I think......check the wedge......

Cheers,

Mark R

I used to sit on the left side of the stage as you looked at it - probably know each other Mark.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I used to sit on the left side of the stage as you looked at it - probably know each other Mark.

Peter

We may well do mate, we may well do!

In fact, one thing that I love about all this, is that there are people on these vids who you still see now under the same circumstances. Brett from Hinckley, who I didn't actually know back then, is on this clip in a green T-shirt dancing at the front, and he is a regular at our Soul Purpose gigs. Not on that clip, but on the vid is Martyn Brotherton from Leicester, and again, he comes to our Soul Purpose nights.

I detest all the 70's uniform on display today if I'm honest, and it's a bit embarassing for an otherwise legendary scene which i defend to the hilt, but the fact that a proportion of these people are still around the music in one form or another is fantastic and testament to the effect that good music and company can have on an individual.

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Laughable viewing ain't it !!

Great too witness the mindless and the so musically clueless gathered on evidential mass.

Kev Edwards and Richard Searling rule again :thumbsup:.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cheers,

Mark R

And there's me right behind you Mark!.. In mustard top allegedly judging the dancing comp with Ally.....

Social source share

I saw two of my old nighter cronies on there.... the Barber brothers strutting their stuff....lovely haircuts..... fortunately not a sign of me on the dancefloor :) it was always a top hour to listen and dance to the new stuff that Adam was playing at that time - a fav for us for sure and great memories - thanks for the clip :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yeah pretty cool. Trust the same with you...Like you,it's hard to get the head around that this was all nigh on 30 years ago! All very vivid still for me.Have a good one Mark.

Hi Robin

Hope yer well. It was a long time ago - some of it is more vivid than others!

I was struggling to recall a track last night on here - then remembered it was Cut Glass - Alive with Love. I had you down as perhaps someone who had spun that back in the day - think it might have been Sam first. Did you have a go with it?

Best

Peter

Social source share

Hi Robin

Hope yer well. It was a long time ago - some of it is more vivid than others!

I was struggling to recall a track last night on here - then remembered it was Cut Glass - Alive with Love. I had you down as perhaps someone who had spun that back in the day - think it might have been Sam first. Did you have a go with it?

Best

Peter

Hi Peter,

No not me with that one, although I have always had a copy... Always an After Dark Cleggy/ Bradford anthem c/o Sean and Crofty I reckon...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!