Any Great Sounds Out There?

Citizen P

Without waving the red rag and getting the oldies versus newies going again, just wondering if you'd heard anything lately that struck you as the essence of NORTHERN.

You know with same buzz as say,Bob Relf, Frankie Beverley, Van Dykes,Lou Pride,Tomangoes etc etc

or have all the truly great tunes already been played???

Cry Havoc.

Tony

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest vinylvixen

Without waving the red rag and getting the oldies versus newies going again, just wondering if you'd heard anything lately that struck you as the essence of NORTHERN.

You know with same buzz as say,Bob Relf, Frankie Beverley, Van Dykes,Lou Pride,Tomangoes etc etc

Cry Havoc.

Tony

Tony, I'm just polishing my crystal ball to see into the future of Northern Soul................the crystal ball says 'you'll have to wait and see'.....I'm hoping that there'll be warehouses bursting at the seams with undiscovered monsters akin to the Salvadors and Yvonne Baker. I'm an eternal optimist :lol: As for sounds around at the moment that measure up to your list of Premier League Northern Oldies....tough one - not really if you're looking for stompers but Sweet William 'Maybe Baby' is pretty catchy and Pat and the Blenders isn't half bad but apart from that.......... :lol: Hope that helps. Jo

Ball2.bmp

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Not just because it is rare, but I think Margaret Little is a top ten all time tune.

And sitting Pretty in my box is Valerie Lamar - Shame. Just needs a few guys playing it. Apparently Dave Thorley did at the Stafford niter in Stoke, but he chose to wait for me to go to the loo before he did the ratbag. :lol: If it got plays today I'm sure it would go to the top of many peoples wants list.

As Mr One Trout might say

A choonerooonie

Social source share

Cry Havoc.

Tony

Tony not gonna play ANY tunes for you again....STEVIE Z :lol::lol:
Social source share

Cry Havoc.

Tony

We live in hope. Half the reason I stay connected to this scene is because of a yearning to here something new - anything - that you might call the essence of classic NS. If there is another Tomagoes, or Duke Browner, or Exus Trek out there, then I hope whoever is sitting on it gets it out there sharpish.

Mello Souls? Pah! king.gif

Col

Social source share

We live in hope. Half the reason I stay connected to this scene is because of a yearning to here something new - anything - that you might call the essence of classic NS. If there is another Tomagoes, or Duke Browner, or Exus Trek out there, then I hope whoever is sitting on it gets it out there sharpish.

Mello Souls? Pah! king.gif

Col

I think that the sounds played today & lets say post Wigan onwards are just as good as any played 'back in the day'. I do think that some times some of these sounds have suffered slightly from not being broken by 'Richard Searling at Wigan tho'.

People heard these toons in venues packed with hundreds if not thousands of people & the atmosphere was electric, most were off thier tits & couldnt keep still anyway, a record was ;make or break' within a few plays. Dont forget that as well as the stone cold classics there were some real turkey;s played too.

Records like the Mello Souls would have been massive at Wigan or any were else for that matter, some times the venue helps tho.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Trevski

My neighbours really rate this one least they bang on the wall in time every time i come home from the pub and blast it out at 2am king.gif

Nice one :lol:

Looking on JM's site, under the Lemco label, there is a slightly different version by the Utmost. Sounds like the same vocalist, but a bit of girly chorus going on. anybody got any info on this and also ££ and availability? The great Rob Marriott strikes again! Ahead of his time, or what?

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

I agree wholeheartedly with Russ. The records mentioned previously in the thread as the gold standard were almost all discovered before Wigan even opened in 1973! Are the posters saying that nothing of value has been unearthed for over thirty years? That is plainly not the case.

The sets at the Lifeline weekender by Butch, Mick H, Sam, Arthur Fenn, Christian B, Andy Whitmore, Cliff Steele, Dean Anderson and others all illustrated that there is plenty more mileage in the rare soul scene. A few of Butch's cover-ups would have been massive records at any venue, at any time in the scene's history: The Mighty Lovers, Martha Jean Love and the Just Brothers (admittedly this has been known for over twenty years) to name but three. The depth of quality lesser-knowns, shrewd re-activations, downright one-offs and proven long-term rarities played by all these guys is pretty staggering. Every year I hear at least ten 'new' records that blow me away. They might not all have the same type of sound as Bob Relf or the Tomangoes, but they live with them pretty easily as quality pieces of soul music.

Social source share

I agree wholeheartedly with Russ. The records mentioned previously in the thread as the gold standard were almost all discovered before Wigan even opened in 1973! Are the posters saying that nothing of value has been unearthed for over thirty years? That is plainly not the case.

The sets at the Lifeline weekender by Butch, Mick H, Sam, Arthur Fenn, Christian B, Andy Whitmore, Cliff Steele, Dean Anderson and others all illustrated that there is plenty more mileage in the rare soul scene. A few of Butch's cover-ups would have been massive records at any venue, at any time in the scene's history: The Mighty Lovers, Martha Jean Love and the Just Brothers (admittedly this has been known for over twenty years) to name but three. The depth of quality lesser-knowns, shrewd re-activations, downright one-offs and proven long-term rarities played by all these guys is pretty staggering. Every year I hear at least ten 'new' records that blow me away. They might not all have the same type of sound as Bob Relf or the Tomangoes, but they live with them pretty easily as quality pieces of soul music.

Good points, all well made. :lol:

I'm absolutely certain that there have been some stunning soul records discovered over the last twenty odd years. It's the quantity and quality of the Northern element that may be an issue, as defined by records like Bob Relf, Linda Jones, Morris Chestnut etc. (And by the way, no-one is disputing the amount of tripe amongst the goodies - at Wigan, in particular).

Mello Souls is often held up as the champion of more recent discoveries, but would it have been a big record at the Torch? I don't think so. A marginal spin at best. And yes, ok, I know, one of the biggest records at the Torch was The Shakers. Love on a mountain top was hardly gritty, heart felt soul either. shades.gif

I think it's a fascinating debate this one, and I'm sure it'll go on and on.

Best wishes

Colin (Still waiting and praying to be convinced)

Social source share

Nice one :thumbsup:

Looking on JM's site, under the Lemco label, there is a slightly different version by the Utmost. Sounds like the same vocalist, but a bit of girly chorus going on. anybody got any info on this and also ££ and availability? The great Rob Marriott strikes again! Ahead of his time, or what?

Utmost you should be able to get for about £50 if you look around, have seen it for this in recent times too, bit more as well whistling.gif Explosive Dynamiks will cost you a lot more :thumbsup:

Social source share

Mello Souls is often held up as the champion of more recent discoveries, but would it have been a big record at the Torch? I don't think so. A marginal spin at best.

This would have been a massive record at anytime. The alarm intro alone would have had people scurrying for the dance floor.The energy in this sound is relentless. Even some of the finest Northern dancers have bits that allow a bit of respite. This is just well calculated mayhem from the first note till the last.

Social source share

This would have been a massive record at anytime. The alarm intro alone would have had people scurrying for the dance floor.The energy in this sound is relentless. Even some of the finest Northern dancers have bits that allow a bit of respite. This is just well calculated mayhem from the first note till the last.

Well said whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
JJ Jackson cover up of Butch's, more recently from Andy Dyson, is IMO as good a Northern Soul record as it gets. Butch had it some years and took some getting going but this will be remembered as a Northern Soul classic :thumbsup: IMHO wicked.gif
Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Lots of our classics never made it at Wigan, they couldn't compete with the Sharonnettes etc., they have aquired classic status over the years like a good wine. wicked.gif Lots of tradation northern still being unearthed by the way, either overlooked at the time or recently found. Remeber if it don't get spins out then the masses never get the chance to hear them, so they remain know just to the select few and rumour. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Nice one :D

I think Rob Marriot used to play this c/u as the Vibrations...I'll have one as well please :D

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Records like the Mello Souls would have been massive at Wigan or any were else for that matter, some times the venue helps tho.

Russ

Do you know what as much as I love this record, I really don't think it would have been big at Wigan at all.

Social source share

JJ Jackson cover up of Butch's, more recently from Andy Dyson, is IMO as good a Northern Soul record as it gets. Butch had it some years and took some getting going but this will be remembered as a Northern Soul classic :D IMHO :D

Really? I have that on a week-ender freebie CD.

Hasn't made any impression on me to date. Will check & persevere!

Ref future, nobody knows it all - dust off them B sides!

Col.

Social source share

Really? I have that on a week-ender freebie CD.

Hasn't made any impression on me to date. Will check & persevere!

Ref future, nobody knows it all - dust off them B sides!

Col.

Really..same record? Only handful of copies most in the hands of dj's and can't think of one who would put it on a cd?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Really..same record? Only handful of copies most in the hands of dj's and can't think of one who would put it on a cd?

It's on one of the Dome CDs from a few months ago.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert