Gene Pitney

Guest Netspeaky

Guest Netspeaky

American superstar Gene Pitney has been found dead aged 65 in his bed in a Cardiff hotel. Pitney - who found fame with Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa - was pronounced dead at the Hilton hotel at 1000 BST.

He was on a UK tour and had shown no signs of illness. The cause of death is not yet known but is not suspicious.

Heartbreaker (UK Stateside) played on the Northern scene.

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Quite sad news.

I was named after him, would you believe! Probably due to "24 Hours From Tulsa" being a big Top 10 hit at the time my mum was expecting me.....

I had the pleasure of seeing the man at Lewisham Theatre in March 1983. Even by then, at the age of 42, he was completely grey. But he was still cutting the mustard, and sounding just as good as he did in his '60s hits.

As Netspeaky says, "She's A Heartbreaker" was played on the scene at one point. It's the B-side of a 1968 release, "Yours Until Tomorrow".

Rest in peace.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

He did a great version of jerry Williams' "Run run roadrunner" on UK Pye International. Quite a late release, 71 I think, but uses the original 1967 backing track. Also the B side to Looking Through The Eyes Of Love is brilliant...called Last Chance To Turn Around

Social source share

He did a great version of jerry Williams' "Run run roadrunner" on UK Pye International. Quite a late release, 71 I think, but uses the original 1967 backing track. Also the B side to Looking Through The Eyes Of Love is brilliant...called Last Chance To Turn Around

He wrote - "He's A Rebel" - Darlene Loves Vocal - Brilliant

One of those records from the early days when I was only 9 years old that helped to steer me towards Soul Music in later years.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Sad news indeed.

Perhaps Shane (or someone) could merge the two threads - other one in Freebasing this morning ...

ian, i can only move it to the freebasing section if we decide to merge the topics.

i think we should keep it up here for a while considering the soul content.

maybe an idea to close the other one mate?

Shane

Social source share

ian, i can only move it to the freebasing section if we decide to merge the topics.

Shane

Furry muff.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Sad. My fave was Looking Thru' The Eyes of Love which I picked up from Rhyl Spin - remember that place Mr Speakman??!

Rich

Sure do Rich, had a shed load of MIDNIGHT 45's out of there for 10p each. :thumbsup:
Social source share

Shane

Closed this morning's one and moved relevent posts; ranting_1.gif

Sad loss

Very sad news, grew up listeneing to Gene Pitney, maybe that's the reason i like Ballads so much, I still keep a C.D of his stuff in the car .

Thanks for the music Gene.

How sad. Used to listen to his music in the 70s, just loved his singing. R.I.P. Gene Pitney, will be missed.
Social source share

I saw him in Chester about 65/66, he pretty much stood still or sat on a stool for the whole of his spot. His voice was great and he had shedloads of talent & presence. As did the other US artist on the show Len Barry. LB never stood still for a moment and gave as good a soul spot as I've ever seen.

Social source share

Always loved "Looking Through The Eyes Of Love"

A great ender really, but i suppose it was too mainstream for many to play it.

The other thing we ought to thank him for is that a good few Northern tracks on Musicor were cut as demo's with the view of being recorded eventually by Gene, so without him the scene could have missed out on some classics.

R.I.P Gene, a truely unique voice. ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Didn't Earl Jackson record 'Looking Through The Eyes Of Love" too? Here's a Gene Pitney track. It's a real favourite of mine alongside his "Every Step I Take" which was also recorded by Roddie Joy.

_IN_THE_COLD_LIGHT_OF_DAY.mp3

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Didn't Earl Jackson record 'Looking Through The Eyes Of Love" too? Here's a Gene Pitney track. It's a real favourite of mine alongside his "Every Step I Take" which was also recorded by Roddie Joy.

Never heard that one Simon. Love it, i'm a sucker for a beat ballad !

Back to "Looking through the eyes of love" , Lots of versions, & funnily enough i bought one by Larry Marks the other day. Haden't heard it before, but i can't say it was anything wonderful.

Apart from Gene Pitny's version i suppose Marlena Shaw's is my next favourite. Seemed to get a few plays recently from what i have read. Still don't think it is as good but i suppose Marlena has a bit more Northern credibility. Sad really.

Social source share

American superstar Gene Pitney has been found dead aged 65 in his bed in a Cardiff hotel. Pitney - who found fame with Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa - was pronounced dead at the Hilton hotel at 1000 BST.

He was on a UK tour and had shown no signs of illness. The cause of death is not yet known but is not suspicious.

Heartbreaker (UK Stateside) played on the Northern scene.

Saw an interview of his once, seemed a nice reserved unassuming sort of guy.Thought he also seemed sad that he did not receive the same recognition as some others. 65, in Cardiff, shame he was not at home with his family.

SHEEP

Social source share

Good to see such an appreciation of Gene Pitney on here.

His contribution to our music was (although indirectly) much greater than one might first imagine.

He could easily have been signed by a Major (RCA/Columbia etc.) but thankfully for us lot his hits were with MUSICOR who (because of the income generated from his sales) were able to finance such things as Radcliffe, Melba Moore, Jyve Fyve, Dean Parrish, Platters, Porgy & The Monarchs, etc. releases in which sales were minimal in comparison.

Respect Well Due Gene Pitney RIP

(ask Jerry "Swamp Dogg" Williams how much he rated the man).

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

My Mum (god rest her) must have been a fan at one time, because for what must have been my 6th( around '64 ish) birthday she bought me the EP 24 Hours From Tulsa. perhaps it had some subliminal message, because one of the other tracks was "Mecca", and I went there a few times.

Anyway, to continue posting a few "Pop" tracks as I have been recently here is Possibly Genes finest "Northern" hour

Gene Pitney RIP

Paul

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I may have got this wrong but wasn't Musicor actually created specifically as an outlet for Gene ?

Hi Simon,

'Fraid you HAVE got it wrong, but Gene was certainly among the first artists to sign to Musicor and he was definitely the first one of any note.

Here's just five essential Gene Pitney tracks no soul fan can afford to be without:

1. Every Breath I Take

2. (In The) Cold Light Of Day

3. Just One Smile

4. Nobody Needs Your Love

5. Last Chance To Turn Around...

...there are plenty more, of course.

BTW for others reading this thread, the Drifters did "Looking Through The Eyes Of Love" first, but their version - which is nowhere near as good as Gene's - was not issued until Bob Fisher and I put it out on a Sequel CD in 1997...

Gene Pitney - a great singer and a great loss to music.

TONY :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Simon,

'Fraid you HAVE got it wrong, but Gene was certainly among the first artists to sign to Musicor and he was definitely the first one of any note.

Here's just five essential Gene Pitney tracks no soul fan can afford to be without:

1. Every Breath I Take

2. (In The) Cold Light Of Day

3. Just One Smile

4. Nobody Needs Your Love

5. Last Chance To Turn Around...

...there are plenty more, of course.

BTW for others reading this thread, the Drifters did "Looking Through The Eyes Of Love" first, but their version - which is nowhere near as good as Gene's - was not issued until Bob Fisher and I put it out on a Sequel CD in 1997...

Gene Pitney - a great singer and a great loss to music.

TONY :thumbsup:

Gene Pitney God Bless-

Social source share

American superstar Gene Pitney has been found dead aged 65 in his bed in a Cardiff hotel.

Very sad news indeed, I have many of his 60s albums, a great singer, unique vocal style, one of the best blue eyed vocalists imo

RIP Gene :thumbsup:

regards

Paul

Social source share

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Can't think where my info came from Tony. I think Gene had the second ever release on Musicor and was it's biggest hitter so I suppose he was the financial foundation of the label. "Every Breath I Take" is my favourite Pitney record - Phil Spector production with back up's from Black vocal group The Halo's and Gene sounding very much in the vein of Clyde Mcphatter, Bobby Sheen or Billy Storm.

Social source share

I've only just seen this thread so I thought I'd add my tribute. Leaving aside soul connections, Gene was a great pop singer, big voice, dramatic songs, a bit similar to Roy Orbison in the drama stakes.

He made a load of great records, Every Breath I Take, truly brilliant, anyone heard the cover by Jess Conrad, lol?

Two of his tracks have special meaning to me due to an old girlfriend and the way she packed me up. Also he used some of the great songwriters of the 60s, Bacharach and David, Randy Newman, even Jagger and Richards.

He seemed a nice guy with a sense of humour, remember him on Ready Steady Go, when they had a competition to see whose version of 24 Hours To Tulsa was being played speeded up, his or Dusty Springfield's. They both mimed to the speeded up version. Showed they didn't take themselves too seriously.

Thanks for the music Gene, RIP.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Can't think where my info came from Tony. I think Gene had the second ever release on Musicor and was it's biggest hitter so I suppose he was the financial foundation of the label. "Every Breath I Take" is my favourite Pitney record - Phil Spector production with back up's from Black vocal group The Halo's and Gene sounding very much in the vein of Clyde Mcphatter, Bobby Sheen or Billy Storm.

Actually someone who knows a lot more about Phil Spector-related stuff than I do told me once that Billy Storm was rumoured to have done the original publisher's demo of "Every Breath I Take" and that Gene modelled his version on Billy's. Sounds plausible, although I doubt that anyone could have topped Gene and the "shoop shoop, diddleawop-bop" Halos in full flight! Incredible that it was only a minor hit in the USA. ...

Yes, Gene certainly was Musicor's financial cornerstone, him and George Jones in the country field. Once Gene stopped having hits and George went to Epic, there was nothing else to sustain the label as a chart force...

T :huh:

PS: Have you ever heard his pre-Musicor single "I'll Find You" (Festival)? He sounds just like Dee Clark on it!

Social source share

• 12 years later...
On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2006 at 17:46, Guest said:

Gene Pitney was a true white soul voice. Not a white voice trying to sound overtly black but a voice with a soul sensibilty.

You've hit the nail on the head. I think certain singers had it - Rufus Lumley. Frankie Valli sometimes.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!