Probably Get My A%&e Kicked For This

You see SoulJihad this is the perfect post .... dislikes the tune but doesn't question anyone elses sanity in the process

Its nice to respect other people's opinions, up to a point, I agree. However, I teach, and had a 6th former tell me the Beatles were shit the other day. I'm payed to be diplomatic, so said nothing, obviously. I

wont bore anyone with a cv of my musical obsession over the last 30 years but I think its fair to say my opinion is better qualified than the 17 year old, raised on rhcp and the lost prophets.

Both you Davie and Ian are better qualified than me,in terms of musical taste I'm sure. But in defending

this trite pop tune, and that's really what it is, you're selling short all the other fantastic tunes that didnt have an opportuntiy to be played that night and any other cheesy night it get plays at every weekend.The scene's never needed to be accessible, we've got Simon Cowl and god knows everywhere else for that, forgods sake. It needs, what its always needed, to be vibrant, relevant and most of all underground, to kick

against the mainstream mediocrity.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

You see SoulJihad this is the perfect post .... dislikes the tune but doesn't question anyone elses sanity in the process 

I tried posting like that when it first started getting played.. Now i've realised how idiotic some of the soul scene is.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Both you Davie and Ian are better qualified than me,in terms of musical taste I'm sure. 

That's the thing though, no one is better qualified in your taste than you.... You have a Phd in your own taste :) where people go wrong is stating something is shit, the correct statement is they think it's shit....taste can never be a definite statement

Social source share

Always makes me laugh that the top 500 likers are ridiculed on here by people lamenting the fact that later discoveries/rarities don't get played enough by DJ's

"Let's have a more progressive scene"..............................but then anything that really is progressive (in terms of the way that dance music has evolved) gets slagged off as not really being soul. :huh:  

Eureka!!...............a new genre is born........"Prog Soul"

Social source share

Always makes me laugh that the top 500 likers are ridiculed on here by people lamenting the fact that later discoveries/rarities don't get played enough by DJ's

"Let's have a more progressive scene"..............................but then anything that really is progressive (in terms of the way that dance music has evolved) gets slagged off as not really being soul. :huh:  

Eureka!!...............a new genre is born........"Prog Soul"

Thats completely missing the point of that particular argument I reckon

The point is not to "progress" to a different type of music but to play records that are basically the same as and as good as the "top 500"

Social source share

Guest The Record Box

agree but no one would play that although i did hear a Beatles tune at a venue what was that all about lol

I wouldn't say no to Kylie singing Time will pass you by, whilst sitting on my lap!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Cluggy

Just listened to the BS choon again and can't understand how some people say theres no soul content in this track.

Ok it's a bit popy but vocally soulfull (in my opinion) if you take time to listen to the lyrics in there are these words,

Let the music take you let down your hair and have some fun.

And sometimes that's what it's all about,my wife's not into the upbeat housy stuff but after hearing and dancing to this choon she came off the dance floor and said ,what a happy feely record that was with a smile on her face ,if she's happy that'll do for me.

On an earlier post sutty said any sheep can play something like this,I personally have only heard a few DJs play this track and from the reaction this tune has got on this thread , your a brave man to put this on your decks because someone is going to love or hate it.

Your a sheep when you play safe and follow everyone else not when you stick your head on a block and play something different .

Social source share

Thats completely missing the point of that particular argument I reckon

The point is not to "progress" to a different type of music but to play records that are basically the same as and as good as the "top 500"

Yeah I get that idea Steve.......but my comment is aimed at the broader context of being progressive and having an open mind in that respect 

Social source share

The main thing for me here seems to be missing in most arguments.

Check out post 11, theres a clip of the record being played in the Crazy Horse at the Butlins weekender in Feb. I was there at the time to witness this (unfortunately)

Now this is an oldies only crowd, many resplendent in their bags, with a beer towel tucked away in their badge covered holdall. This record comes on and the floor is heaving :huh: 

Why? Its not a Wigan stomper!

Is it because some "DJ's" ( I use the term loosely ) have decided its worthy of plays and when it comes on and everyone dives to the floor, people think "this is popular - I'd better dance" ???

I know one thing,  if Butch had've come on next and played some quality proper tunes the whole crowd would have walked off and stood there with their arms folded!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The main thing for me here seems to be missing in most arguments.

Check out post 11, theres a clip of the record being played in the Crazy Horse at the Butlins weekender in Feb. I was there at the time to witness this (unfortunately)

Now this is an oldies only crowd, many resplendent in their bags, with a beer towel tucked away in their badge covered holdall. This record comes on and the floor is heaving :huh:

Why? Its not a Wigan stomper!

Is it because some "DJ's" ( I use the term loosely ) have decided its worthy of plays and when it comes on and everyone dives to the floor, people think "this is popular - I'd better dance" ???

I know one thing,  if Butch had've come on next and played some quality proper tunes the whole crowd would have walked off and stood there with their arms folded!

I think that what this thread has established is that, love it or hate it, the subject record fills the floor.

You've seen it happen at an "oldies" event, and I saw it happen in the modern room at Prestatyn.

Why it has this effect.....who knows....it could simply be that, if we put our preferences and prejudices aside, its a bit of uplifting dance music that seems to fit the bill for those who are simply out for a good time and regardless of what label has been hung around the music policy of the event in question....bit like the old house club vibe.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On an earlier post sutty said any sheep can play something like this,I personally have only heard a few DJs play this track and from the reaction this tune has got on this thread , your a brave man to put this on your decks because someone is going to love or hate it.

Your a sheep when you play safe and follow everyone else not when you stick your head on a block and play something different .

The word 'brave' in relation to playing this tune is frankly ludicrous, nothing personal but really, this is about as safe as you can get at the moment! not a lot of other house records that are perhaps less like pop music being played are there?

cheers Sutty

Social source share

Let's get this right. I like almost everything. I collect records, i've dj'd Northern, 2 step, modern and House. How anyone in their right mind can think this is a good record is beyond me. As Sutty says dj's that play this arn't brave they're sheep. Bob Sinclair has done some great dancy House music, just listen to i feel for you. I have numerous 12" and even lp's produced by him.. This is shite!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Rubbish. There's no one-size-fits-all equation here. I consider some of the things I hear out as badly produced trash that wouldn't be played out in a month of Sundays if they weren't rare. I've never played the Bob Sinclar out as it's way too poppy for me personally but I wouldn't denigrate another DJ for playing it. I don't think it's got anything to do with point of reference or ego either. The people with ego problems are the ones who try and outguess the dance-floor in my experience.

Ian D :D

is this really the future of the soul scene though?

cuts that wouldnt make it on the house scene tempered down to a bunch of older people who should really know better. anyone familiar with Bob Sinclairs back catalogue knows full well that he is far better than this and perhaps the people giving this the time of day (or night) should search a little deeper

...sorry had to edit, spelling mistokes and garrama errors really bug me :D

Edited by Andy Kempster
Social source share

Guest Cluggy

Sutty didn't say they were brave I did,and from what people say about

whenever this record is played the dance floor is rammed (not my words) everyone who dances to it or likes it are out of there mind, seems to be a great deal of people by all accounts. This surely is an insult to anyone who has a right to have a mind of there own,and choose to dance to what they want.

I'm sure bob sinclare has made far better records ,that's not the point,this tune gets played and a lot of punters like it.

Social source share

I suppose it's part of something that's been going on for years.  I remember the first time Tim Tam & The Turnons was played at Wigan - march 11th 1978 to be exact, day after my 18th birtrhday which is why I remember (also cos I've still got it on tape) anyway I remember us being stunned that a record so terrible had been played and completely dumbstruck when it was played again by the same dj an hour later - and this time it packed the floor and did so for another 4 weeks or so. I, and my mates, could not get our heads around the fact that people could like such a record.  Same thing as is happening today?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I quite like The Flasher. I really like Life Is A Song Worth Singing by Mistura, thought that was something really different at the time.

I have to say, I don't see anything wrong with Mistura either, it's a great piece of jazz, and fitted right in at the time :thumbsup:  

Social source share

That's the thing though, no one is better qualified in your taste than you.... You have a Phd in your own taste :) where people go wrong is stating something is shit, the correct statement is they think it's shit....taste can never be a definite statement

amen, brother. :wink:

Social source share

I suppose it's part of something that's been going on for years.  I remember the first time Tim Tam & The Turnons was played at Wigan - march 11th 1978 to be exact, day after my 18th birtrhday which is why I remember (also cos I've still got it on tape) anyway I remember us being stunned that a record so terrible had been played and completely dumbstruck when it was played again by the same dj an hour later - and this time it packed the floor and did so for another 4 weeks or so. I, and my mates, could not get our heads around the fact that people could like such a record.  Same thing as is happening today?

On side with you there Pete.

This piece of 'Wigan History' was played in the East Mids for a while recently and got a massive response.  Would have thought that 35 Years later I may be a little more receptive but - No !! - Still too left field for me, completely out of the park to be honest !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

it's the flasher all over again  :ohmy:

Where you there ??

Went to Notts Palais and the DJ played The Flasher.  The floor emptied and there was audible booing in the room.  Rather embarrassed the DJ them introduced Lloyd Mitchels who tentatively made his way to Centre Stage.  Felt so bad for him.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Where you there ??

Went to Notts Palais and the DJ played The Flasher.  The floor emptied and there was audible booing in the room.  Rather embarrassed the DJ them introduced Lloyd Mitchels who tentatively made his way to Centre Stage.  Felt so bad for him.

Never made it to the Palais unfortunately think I would have liked it though, going off Dave Tidswell's stuff. Goin' to his send off at Davy's on Friday by the way  :thumbsup:

My memories of the Flasher range from masses of jellybeaners making pyramids on the dance-floor down stairs at the Mecca to the NS -v-Funk crews rivalry at the Ritz dayers.

It went down well enough downstairs at Wigan too but drove a lot of grumpy old blokes muttering off into M's never to be seen again.

As with the Bob Sinclair track under review, I'm not saying it was good or bad by the way, just commenting on the impact on the dance-floors.

Social source share

Never made it to the Palais unfortunately think I would have liked it though, going off Dave Tidswell's stuff. Goin' to his send off at Davy's on Friday by the way  :thumbsup:

My memories of the Flasher range from masses of jellybeaners making pyramids on the dance-floor down stairs at the Mecca to the NS -v-Funk crews rivalry at the Ritz dayers.

It went down well enough downstairs at Wigan too but drove a lot of grumpy old blokes muttering off into M's never to be seen again.

As with the Bob Sinclair track under review, I'm not saying it was good or bad by the way, just commenting on the impact on the dance-floors.

It was an awesome venue.  The revolving Dance Floor downstairs blew my mind first time I saw it. Put my bag down, talked to my mate, turned around and my bag was the other side of the floor. How the hell did that happen !!!!!!!

Social source share

It was an awesome venue.  The revolving Dance Floor downstairs blew my mind first time I saw it. Put my bag down, talked to my mate, turned around and my bag was the other side of the floor. How the hell did that happen !!!!!!!

:lol:  :lol: heard about the floor there

The floor at the Ritz was tremendous, as I'm sure you'll know, it was raised and bounced like mad and you'd always get someone stood at the side of it put their pint on the edge of the floor only to watch the glass bounce itself empty! 

Went to the dayer last September and was gutted to find that the old floor has sadly gone, place looks totally different inside now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Where you there ??

Pete Lawson was a dj there at the time our group used to go - when would that have been? 84/85 maybe?

Social source share

Pete Lawson was a dj there at the time our group used to go - when would that have been? 84/85 maybe?

No, must have been way earlier than that. When The Flasher had been played a year or 2. Don't think I was married then and I didn't get hitched until '78

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!