Drill Holes In Records?

• 2 weeks later...

The way I heard it was that any record with a drill hole was exempt from import duty. Hence the majority of record imports found in UK have these holes.

Keep on the good foot.

But the majority don't have those holes, only the early 70's ones.

Social source share

The way I heard it was that any record with a drill hole was exempt from import duty. Hence the majority of record imports found in UK have these holes.

Keep on the good foot.

Not true, Paul Mooney (reply 46) is spot on.

Imported records were supposed to have an MCPS sticker on them to show copyright was paid. At Global Records we used to put a couple of sheets of the stickers in the box when a new customer ordered some US records, but then "forgot" with their next order. Also any US Columbia record sold in the UK was supposed to have any mention of "Columbia" obliterated as EMI owned the Columbia name in the UK. Again this was done for a suspicious looking new customer but very rarely done unless EMI lawyers were getting twitchy.

The holes in singles were done on a pillar drill with the singles in a twenty five count box ,the melted vinyl was just due to the heat caused by the drill bit. I've never heard of the heated needle theory, sounds a bit dangerous and impractical. 

Cut corners or a saw kerf on LP sleeves were done on woodwork type machines, again box and all.

Little indie labels that didn't take returns or sell off returned stock didn't drill their singles.

Rick

Social source share

• 6 months later...

Not seen this before, drill hole in CD

post-16601-0-60129100-1386279849_thumb.j

The CD was a 2001 US full price issue but must have had the unsold copies sold off cheap.

Here is a bar code with over print to stop re selling. It is a US promo so must have been done at the time of release. Iv'e got a UK Capitol promo but this hasn't had the bar code crossed through, anyway ebayers and car booters don't bother about bar codes or promo "not for sale"post-16601-0-50913200-1386279516_thumb.j

Social source share

Are the holes drilled from the A side through to the B side, or visa versa, i've often lay awake at night wondering about this, i think also it's a 5mm hole, but maybe an imperial size, cause they were done in the 60's, and the USA like imperial. :huh:

Now that would keep anyone awake......... :no:

just hope i can sleep tonight..so just in case, time to open a nice bottle of red wine..... :thumbsup:

Edited by staceys dad
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!