Timebox - Beggin Deram 194

This has the DR 42446 upside down on the label and DM194A scratched in the deadwax.

No serrated edge around the label though.

Any thoughts?

Boot if it hasn't got serrated edge and also having a scratched number should give it away!

Social source share

Stop playing it and play The Four Seasons instead - Far superior Vocals etc etc etc ......

Is this the track I've heard Ginger Taylor frequently play at Brighouse Ritz and elsewhere?

Always seems to announce it as by Frankie Valli or summat?

And as Valli was lead singer with the Four Seasons it all makes sense.

derek

Social source share

Is this the track I've heard Ginger Taylor frequently play at Brighouse Ritz and elsewhere?

Always seems to announce it as by Frankie Valli or summat?

And as Valli was lead singer with the Four Seasons it all makes sense.

derek

Yep, 4 Seasons did it in '67 and Timebox, as they tended to do, covered it in '68. Mr Valli's unmistakable tones are far superior to those of Kevan Fogarty.

Sadly, Timebox's version seem to be the chosen one these days.

Social source share

Yep, 4 Seasons did it in '67 and Timebox, as they tended to do, covered it in '68. Mr Valli's unmistakable tones are far superior to those of Kevan Fogarty.

Sadly, Timebox's version seem to be the chosen one these days.

Mike Patto was the vocalist on the Timebox version and he was a great singer.

Both versions are good - Timebox is easily the best though, superior in every way.  In my opinion.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Cheers Pete for the info, but I still prefer the earlier version. Seems more refined and laid back and such an impressive vocal. Maybe I haven't given Timebox enough listening as always had and listened to the 4 Seasons. Perhaps I don't want to like it if you know what I mean !

Social source share

Cheers Pete for the info, but I still prefer the earlier version. Seems more refined and laid back and such an impressive vocal. Maybe I haven't given Timebox enough listening as always had and listened to the 4 Seasons. Perhaps I don't want to like it if you know what I mean !

Yeah I know exactly what you mean.

I remember having a very, very rare day off school once in 1968 (I was 8) and I sat on my bedroom windowsill with a transistor radio on, I wrote down the names of the songs and gave the marks out of five, I'll always remember Timebox being on and liking it at the time, it did get played a lot on the radio, I never heard the Four Seasons version though.  Funny how people remember daft things like that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Valli's vocal might be superior, but the production on the Timebox version is absolutely fantastic. It sounds gigantic. The Four Seasons version sounds like a poor demo in comparison.

Have always thought the same myself. My preferred version of the song would have Frankie Valli's vocal over the Timebox backing track.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!