Culture Show Wednesday 25Th Sept Ns:keeping The Faith

Haydn

Well there is a lot of in fighting and bickering isn't there, there always has been.  Whether it's 60's vs Modern, original vinyl only vs pressings, retro baggy trouser fashions vs contemporary clothing - there's always going to be something that people bicker about.  The one thing that has never changed though, is the friendliness of the scene, and the way people are accepted straight away.

I suppose knowing the music policy and DJs for any given venue, you should know what (and who) to expect on the night.  Where there's an across the board music policy, you're going to get a mixed crowd.  Because the scene's been going so long, we've got various factions, but they all get along together, regardless of personal taste and style.  Like you say Pete, a friendly scene.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

ofcourse there will be some of that its human nature...but i dont personally care if youre a dj,promoter or youve only just discovered it i treat you all the same...and ive been treated the same since before people on the scene knew i dj'd/promoted and after

i honestly dont think the people i know and have become friends with give a shit if i do or dont..

but thats just my opinion and experience...i suppose being a returnee 10 years back but living 230 miles away from where i did last time means i have no history with most of those i see out...and im too old to start any rivalries now!..if i dont gel with someone they dont become my friend and we can be in the same room without attitude

ive seen and felt falseness in reggae and dance music scenes..the soul scene isnt the same for me

dean

Social source share

I'm trying not to be a twisted troll on this, but an awful lot of that freindlyness is shallow and short lived, an awful lot of cosying up to the dj, promotor on the northern scene thats named as freindlyness but is really just networking for self gratifaction.  

I don't look at the scene through rose tinted glasses and I tend to take people as I find them.  I've only ever felt genuinely uncomfortable at a soul night once, so on the whole I have a very positive view of the Northern Soul fraternity.  Getting back to the topic, from the clips I've seen I think the Culture Show feature will portray the scene in a positive light, whether you consider that a good thing or a bad thing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

must admit it looks a bit cheesey from the clip i watched, and the wide pants and twirley skirts :dash2: ,and anyone watching a documentary on northern soul for the first time  will think this is what you have to dress up like :no: .....but like everyone else will watch it and hopefully enjoy it....

and will report back next thursday after the show

Edited by staceys dad
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!