Unissued - Ike Perry & The Lyrics On Ebay

I'll bet that's really good.  I have a couple Ike Perry and The Lyrics 45s on small Cleveland labels. and they are good.  I didn't see any link on that e-Bay page to hear even snippets of the songs.  Surely the auction provides a listening sample for knowing how good the songs and performance are, and knowing the condition related to the sound.  Can you direct me to where I can listen to it?

Social source share

I'll bet that's really good.  I have a couple Ike Perry and The Lyrics 45s on small Cleveland labels. and they are good.  I didn't see any link on that e-Bay page to hear even snippets of the songs.  Surely the auction provides a listening sample for knowing how good the songs and performance are, and knowing the condition related to the sound.  Can you direct me to where I can listen to it?

Yes, there is a clip of all four songs, here's the link direct ...

https://192.185.225.173/~funkyou/2070s.mp3

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

Davie Gordon said he has those 2 cuts, plus 2 others by this group that are unreleased, and that they were recorded in the 1970s.  I have their Courier Record and one more.  They go as far back as 1958.  I'd like to hear these 2 cuts.  Davie hardly ever posts on Soulful Detroit anymore, and I haven't seen him post on Soul-Source. 

Social source share

Thanks.  They are quite nice.  Ike was still in good form in the 70s.  Wow!  One has a Jimmy Rickslike bass lead!  Interesting!   The style and instrumentation is a bit new-sounding for me, but they sound very nice and very "listenable".  Very little in the '70s is "my cup of tea".

Social source share

Mick's beat me to it Rob. I quite like the first track and I could see it being 'played out'

Social source share

Davie Gordon said he has those 2 cuts, plus 2 others by this group that are unreleased, and that they were recorded in the 1970s.  I have their Courier Record and one more.  They go as far back as 1958.  I'd like to hear these 2 cuts.  Davie hardly ever posts on Soulful Detroit anymore, and I haven't seen him post on Soul-Source. 

The first track sounds more late 60's so it's interesting to know that it's a 70's recording..

Social source share

The acetate was cut no earlier than 1970, I think that's when Cleveland Recording got a stereo acetate lathe. I've seen the same machine at work. There's a slim possibility I could get more details about the recording dates but I'm not betting on it. They go back before 1958, their first 45 was as the Five Lyrics on Music City, a major doowop (more accurately, vocal group) rarity.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The acetate was cut no earlier than 1970, I think that's when Cleveland Recording got a stereo acetate lathe. I've seen the same machine at work. There's a slim possibility I could get more details about the recording dates but I'm not betting on it. They go back before 1958, their first 45 was as the Five Lyrics on Music City, a major doowop (more accurately, vocal group) rarity.

Thanks for bringing that up.  There were a lot of other R&B Lyrics groups.  Were there any other releases by Ike Perry's group between their Music City records and late 1958?

Social source share

Ike Perry's group was from Texas.  They were on the Rhythm Records label in 1955 (rather than Music City).  I have the record.  Then, they had a release on Bridge Records in 195, Cowtown in 1960.  These were all Texas labels.  They must have been from Texas, and moved to Cleveland in 1961 or 1962.  Their Courier Record may have been recorded in late 1962, and released in early 1963.  That was also released on Mama Records, named after Ike's mother.  That had more records released on that label.

Social source share

Isn't the 45 on Rhythm by the Lyrics, not the Five Lyrics? I don't think they are the same group. The Five Lyrics (which is the Isaac/Ike Perry group) is on Music City 799, "I'm Traveling Light", from 1956-ish

Ike Perry's group was from Texas.  They were on the Rhythm Records label in 1955 (rather than Music City).  I have the record.  Then, they had a release on Bridge Records in 195, Cowtown in 1960.  These were all Texas labels.  They must have been from Texas, and moved to Cleveland in 1961 or 1962.  Their Courier Record may have been recorded in late 1962, and released in early 1963.  That was also released on Mama Records, named after Ike's mother.  That had more records released on that label.

Social source share

Also, AFAIK Ike Perry and the group were from Cleveland, they travelled around and cut records in different cities. Ike passed away last year, still living in Cleveland.

Isn't the 45 on Rhythm by the Lyrics, not the Five Lyrics? I don't think they are the same group. The Five Lyrics (which is the Isaac/Ike Perry group) is on Music City 799, "I'm Traveling Light", from 1956-ish

Social source share

Also, AFAIK Ike Perry and the group were from Cleveland, they travelled around and cut records in different cities. Ike passed away last year, still living in Cleveland.

Apparently, The Five lyrics were a different group from The Lyrics.  So, I guess Ike Perry  and his Lyrics traveled to The San Francisco Bay Area to record in the mid '50s.

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!