Uptown Records - L A

Roburt

Lots of gudstuf was released on this label run by Tower Records. Most is known as the international release of some Gloria Jones Uptown 45's led to this US label having a high profile in the UK as early as the mid 60's. Lots of fine outings by the likes of Gloria, the Intertains, Cookie Jackson, Roy C, King Floyd, Randy Taylor, etc.

A few items cut in NOla studios also escaped on the label including the 45 from K C Russell that helped launch the imprint .....

What lesser known items are favoured by listies here ??

UptownRecs65.jpg

UptownRecs45.jpg

Social source share

Larry Hancock & the boys had this 45 out around November 65 .... so that meant the label had released 17/18 (as I assume Randy Taylor's Kim Fowley produced outing escaped at the same time) single's out in it's first 6 months -- not bad -- a rate of 3 a month. 

Intertains45.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

We get a bit more R&B on this one ........ Odessa Harris .........

.... this escaped in mid Jan 66 & was tipped by Billboard as a likely Top 10 cut ... her earlier Uptown 45 "Colour of His Love" (#711) had escaped in August 65.

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Roburt said:

Another Eddie Ray production ..... Tommy Mosley ...... who had been around for a few years by the time this 45 escaped ... 

One Day Love by Tommy Dodson was always a biggie (plus Marsha Gee of course). Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

1 hour ago, TRICKY said:

I quite like Imitation by Frank Furter & his Hot Dogs.

Not 100% sure but i dont think thats his real name! :wicked:

Seeing as the A side song was titled "The Green Weenie" I know Frank Furter was not his real name.

The Green Weenie was a sports gimmick co-created by Bob Prince , the legendary broadcaster for the Pittsburgh Pirates Major League Baseball team, and Pirate trainer Danny Whelan. It was most popular during the 1966 baseball season in Pittsburgh, Pa. The 'Green Weenie' was manufactured by Tri-State Plastics, a Pittsburgh plastic thermoforming company and was a green plastic rattle in the shape of a hot dog, which when waved at opposing players, purportedly put a jinx on them. Conversely, when waved at Pirate players it allegedly bestowed good luck. The 45 escaped in October 66, so that just about ties in with the Pittsburgh baseballers inventing the thing.

So, some local recording outfit obviously went in the studio to cut this one off release that was licensed by Uptown. I'm not sure this is the guys from Redbone. They were Californian based ever before all the guys teamed up in LA in 69.

Anyone have an idea who this group really were (may have included guys out of Redbone but I ain't convinced) ?

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I always thought that The Ambassadors on Uptown were an L.A. group,  different from The Philly and Detroit groups.  So that makes 3 Ambassadors groups from three different cities.  But, of course, there were more.  I seem to remember a late '50s group from New York, and a few others.  But this should be on the "Groups With Same Names" thread (actually, it is).  Does anyone here know anything about this Uptown group?  It's a "Wri - Han Production".  Does the "Wri" stand for Arthur Wright?  I know that Smashville Music was Uptown's in-house music publishing company, so it's likely to have been a local L.A. signing and production.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Ambassadors on Uptown were from Cleveland. Same group later released a 45 on DeBrossard that got some local sales. Not sure where it was recorded, my source for info on the group didn't bother to answer that question, but it was far more likely recorded in Cleveland or Detroit. 

Cleveland had a couple local Capitol sales reps/A&R types so many local artists (not just soul) put out records on Capitol and other labels. 

Social source share

Uptown managed to last for 60+ 45s and a few LPs without having any real big hits...I suppose Gloria Jones was their most successful artist, considering all her records turn up pretty often. 

The strangest Uptown release is the Shotgun Express 45, I think that might be their only non-US artist. 

Social source share

33 minutes ago, George G said:

Uptown managed to last for 60+ 45s and a few LPs without having any real big hits...I suppose Gloria Jones was their most successful artist, considering all her records turn up pretty often. 

The strangest Uptown release is the Shotgun Express 45, I think that might be their only non-US artist. 

"Heartbeat" was a pretty big hit on the Soul stations.  I think it charted on the Pop stations, as well.

Social source share

14 hours ago, George G said:

Shotgun Express were just about the top London based R&B band (Rod Stewart, Mick Fleetwood, Peter Green, etc) back in 66/67. They cut for an EMI label and EMI were linked to Tower / Uptown in the US ... so I can't see what's strange about their cuts appearing on Uptown over there.

Rod Stewart joined the group from Steampacket (him, Long John Baldry, Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger). Again Steampacket were just about the top London based R&B act before they split.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

On 3/15/2016 at 12:40, George G said:
On 3/15/2016 at 12:40, George G said:

Ambassadors on Uptown were from Cleveland. Same group later released a 45 on DeBrossard that got some local sales. Not sure where it was recorded, my source for info on the group didn't bother to answer that question, but it was far more likely recorded in Cleveland or Detroit. 

Cleveland had a couple local Capitol sales reps/A&R types so many local artists (not just soul) put out records on Capitol and other labels. 

The Ambassadors' cuts sound absolutely NOTHING  like Detroit recordings.  The Ambassadors, Intertains and Marsha Gee all were Wri-Han (Wright-Hanson or Wright-Hanson-Phillips) Productions.  Their songs were all published by Smashville Music.  If I remember correctly, I was told many years ago that The Intertains were from Cleveland.  But, I also have a record by The Symphonics (female group) on Dee-Jon Records (which I thought was from Philadelphia, both songs on which were publishrd by Smashville Music, but written by Charles DeBose.  Could "DeBose" have been a misspelling of "DeB(r)ose (short for DeBrossard (owner's name)?  I also remember hearing that Marsha Gee was said to have been from Philadelphia (but also heard Cleveland).  I would guess those 3 records (and, probably The Dee-Jon, as well) were produced in Cleveland, rather than L.A., Detroit, or Philadelphia.  I just don't hear anything in anything in any of those 6 cuts that sounds like session players or recording studios in those other cities.  The Dee-Jon looks like a Detroit pressing.  Many Toledo and Cleveland records were pressed in Detroit.  It looks like it has ARP stamped on it.

Symphonics.jpg.92256a908a2763958ed52a68e

Symphonics.jpg

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

5 minutes ago, the yank said:

Wright- Hanson were also responsible for the Deletts on Blue Rock.

Yes, and a "Baxter" was also involved.  I don't recognise that combination of names (Wright/Hanson/Phillips/Baxter/Jones/DeBose(De Brossard) in any production group in any city.  L.A. had Arthur and Charles Wright, Chicago had Phil Wright. 

Social source share

6 hours ago, RobbK said:

If I remember correctly, I was told many years ago that The Intertains were from Cleveland.  But, I also have a record by The Symphonics (female group) on Dee-Jon Records (which I thought was from Philadelphia, both songs on which were publishrd by Smashville Music, but written by Charles DeBose.  Could "DeBose" have been a misspelling of "DeB(r)ose (short for DeBrossard (owner's name)?  

Symphonics.jpg.92256a908a2763958ed52a68e

Robb, if you go over to the current Lou Ragland thread ....... there's a picture of Lou with Eddie Levert & Larry Hancock. Larry was lead singer with the Intertains (before taking that role with S.O.U.L.) and he wrote a BIG song that the O'Jays recorded (Working On Your Case). I met up with (& interviewed) the members of S.O.U.L in London in the mid 90's (when they were over here for a Ace / BGP sponsored concert with Terry Callier). Larry told me bits about his time in the Intertains (+ I talked to Beloyd Taylor about his work in Cleveland, as a solo artist & in EW&F). I'm still in touch with the outfit's drummer Paul Stubblefield (that's S.O.U.L.'s drummer not the Intertains).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

On 3/18/2016 at 20:51, RobbK said:

Yes, and a "Baxter" was also involved.  I don't recognise that combination of names (Wright/Hanson/Phillips/Baxter/Jones/DeBose(De Brossard) in any production group in any city.  L.A. had Arthur and Charles Wright, Chicago had Phil Wright. 

Baxter was Jerry Baxter, a Cleveland drummer and producer with close ties to the O'Jays. Baxter was certainly in Los Angeles for a short spell, as evidenced by the Jerry & the Medicine Men 45 on Edco. I assume that Wright-Hanson-Baxter made a production deal with Uptown in LA and culled most of their talent from Cleveland.

Social source share

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Baxter was Jerry Baxter, a Cleveland drummer and producer with close ties to the O'Jays. Baxter was certainly in Los Angeles for a short spell, as evidenced by the Jerry & the Medicine Men 45 on Edco. I assume that Wright-Hanson-Baxter made a production deal with Uptown in LA and culled most of their talent from Cleveland.

MOST of their talent from Cleveland?  Weren't The Intertains, Ambassadors and Marsha Gee ALL from Cleveland?  And, with The Symphonics on Dee Jon also published by Smashville Music, and DeBose (DeB(r)ose as the writer and producer, I assume that DeBrossard was the financier.  Do you know if The Symphonics were also from Cleveland?

Social source share

I think the O'Jays & their road musicians were based in / around LA until late 66 .... Lou Ragland makes mention of them returning to Cleveland around 66 / 67(?)  from LA. They were broke & unhappy and hadn't had much chart success so good paying gigs were drying up. We love their Minit 45 (written by Clevelander Larry Hancock) but it didn't do much sales wise in the US (was this cut in Detroit ?). Tom Li Puma (who the group worked with) was originally from Cleveland. The group returned to winning ways with "I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow" in Dec 67.

There's a famous literary Charles DeBose who originated in Akron, Ohio. No idea if that's the same guy as the one who worked with the Symphonics though. I always thought the Symphonics were from Chicago.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

On 3/22/2016 at 12:43, Roburt said:

I think the O'Jays & their road musicians were based in / around LA until late 66 .... Lou Ragland makes mention of them returning to Cleveland around 66 / 67(?)  from LA. They were broke & unhappy and hadn't had much chart success so good paying gigs were drying up. We love their Minit 45 (written by Clevelander Larry Hancock) but it didn't do much sales wise in the US (was this cut in Detroit ?). Tom Li Puma (who the group worked with) was originally from Cleveland. The group returned to winning ways with "I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow" in Dec 67.

There's a famous literary Charles DeBose who originated in Akron, Ohio. No idea if that's the same guy as the one who worked with the Symphonics though. I always thought the Symphonics were from Chicago.

Are you talking about The Symphonics on Brunswick, who were produced by George Wilson.  Didn't Wilson work out of New York?  I don't recognise any of the people on The Symphonics' Brunswick releases as being from Chicago.  I think they were signed by, and worked out of the New York office.  Otherwise, Carl Davis' name would be on their records.

Social source share

Donnie Murphy and the Ambassadors were from Dayton, OH. No connection to the Cleveland Ambassadors, or any other Ambassadors record. Donnie died of a heart attack not long after the record came out. Either he, or some one(s) else in the group were related to member(s) of the Moroccos.

Social source share

3 hours ago, George G said:

Symphonics on Dee Jon were from Akron, OH.

As was Charles DeBose.  Coincidence?  I think not!  DeBose produced a record songs published by Smashville Music.  All 3 Uptown records with all songs published by Smashville music had artists known to have been from Cleveland.  DeBrossard rleased a record on one of those 3 artists(groups).  Americans are notorious for "Anglicising" their family names.  There must be a connection.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

2 minutes ago, George G said:

Donnie Murphy and the Ambassadors were from Dayton, OH. No connection to the Cleveland Ambassadors, or any other Ambassadors record. Donnie died of a heart attack not long after the record came out. Either he, or some one(s) else in the group were related to member(s) of the Moroccos.

Which Moroccos?  The R&B group on Chicago's United Records, which had Sollie McElroy as their lead? Or The Detroit group that had Little Joe as lead?  Or did you mean The Morrocco Muzik Makers?

Social source share

7 hours ago, RobbK said:

Which Moroccos?  The R&B group on Chicago's United Records, which had Sollie McElroy as their lead? Or The Detroit group that had Little Joe as lead?  Or did you mean The Morrocco Muzik Makers?

the Moroccos from Dayton, aka Morocco Muzik Makers aka Little Woo Woo, they were the Moroccos in Dayton but because of the other groups you cited they were not able to use that name on records.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!