when is enough a enough

ajb

Can you have to much music?

Can you own to many records, CD's, Downloads, what ever it may be?

A question i've been asking myself of late, "will there ever be a time when i'll get to listen to it all ?". :g:

Many a time i forget what i've got till i go through it.:huh:

When is enough a enough? :g:

Social source share

I don't think there is ever a point where enough is enough 'the end'.

Some of us are 'worse' than others, but I know some collectors that 'want that next tune' before the one they've just bought gets delivered! :D

Personally, I don't buy any where near as many records / tunes as I used to as I am content with what I have, to enjoy, and (like you) discover once again tunes I have but forgot I had.

I hope the above makes sense :huh:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

We didn't start collecting records, someone gave us a tune at a nighter and when we got home it was on our player straight away!!!! the seed was planted :ohmy: now we can't stop and don't want to :D last nail in the box will be the day we stop collecting this beautiful music :thumbup: love it Xx baz n shelly 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest closedms

I bought my first record in 1958 & won't be stopping anytime soon, or as my wife told my kids years ago, most dads want a nice car, you're dad want's to buy every record that's ever been released, she wasn't wrong. 

Social source share

It'll never be enough while your still looking for that initial "aural hit" we all got while we were young. I was talking at work today about this with a mate who loves rock and roll and he's just the same. Searching for that adrenaline rush when you  hear something for the first time. As I've got older I seem to have taken a lot of what I now hear for granted and the excitement of hearing something for the first time has diminished. The first disc to "do it to me" was James Brown-Sex machine, I'd never heard anything like it. The last disc to really get me was Tommy & The Derbys-don't play the role, quality tune

Social source share

I think here I'm talking to people who have been on the scene for 30yrs + ?forgive me if im not but me n shell only done 13 years so our soul search has only just begun :thumbup:really !!!!! So our enough is a long time away I hope !!!!!! It gives us so much pleasure and asks for nothing in return,all our non soul friends think we are f... Mad to pay that for a 7" !!!!!!:rofl: they just don't know . first tune that we were given at the nighter was fuller bros" times a wasting" and just bought almetta and fantastic four  xx:hatsoff2: post woman has had enough :P :yes:we haven't , its with us for life I'm sure of that :thumbup: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

30 minutes ago, SWIFTY said:

I had 2 parcels arrive Thursday and both had the same bleedin' record in , had obviously had a Vino or 3 and ordered the same record from 2 sellers DOH !

Good job it's only a cheapie Lol !

What is it swift? ? cos I ant got enough ?

Social source share

In knitting circles (yes, really) there is a term used for collecting wool...

SABLE : Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy

The point when you realise that you have more wool than you'll ever be able to use before you die. There's obviously a point where you realise you have more records than you could physically listen to in your remaining years. That is probably the definition of "enough". The vinyl addict, obviously, doesn't worry about this and just carries on collecting.

It's quite scary if you work out the size of your collection, then try to work out how long it would take you to listen to...

Social source share

1 hour ago, SWIFTY said:

Philadelphia Society - 100 South of Broadway , nice cheapie , old Mecca / Cleethorpes track :thumbsup: PM me your address if you want it matey FOC !!!

Swifty:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, SWIFTY said:

Philadelphia Society - 100 South of Broadway , nice cheapie , old Mecca / Cleethorpes track :thumbsup: PM me your address if you want it matey FOC !!!

Swifty:thumbsup:

got it swifty ?

Social source share

22 minutes ago, cover-up said:

In knitting circles (yes, really) there is a term used for collecting wool...

SABLE : Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy

The point when you realise that you have more wool than you'll ever be able to use before you die. There's obviously a point where you realise you have more records than you could physically listen to in your remaining years. That is probably the definition of "enough". The vinyl addict, obviously, doesn't worry about this and just carries on collecting.

It's quite scary if you work out the size of your collection, then try to work out how long it would take you to listen to...

Collecting is a form of disease I think. For sure, not a bad disease to have, but a disease nonetheless.

I'm almost 62 and have been collecting for about 52 years. At first it was all about having everything and I had to auction my first collection in 1975 to finance a trip to the U.S. where theoretically I could re-build the collection I'd just sold and add several thousand for mere cents back then. And I did. The lust for record acquisitions continued unabated. Somewhere along the line I did a physical count and I'd spent half my life lugging 40,000 records around. Some of which I'd never actually played, some of which I played a LOT and the majority of which I'd played just a few times. So I got into the habit of doing collection culls every few years because I realized that I didn't really need to keep a record that I wasn't that bothered about. I now have a few thousand records left and I'm trying to whittle those down too. It doesn't help that last year I decided to replace all my favorite records with better copies. I thought I had the discipline to keep that under control but I was wrong. It just got me back into that bloody frame of mind again...........

Plus, over the years I've found my musical tastes have tended to bounce around over several genres. At different times I've collected 60s Pop and Rock, 60s Soul & RnB., Motown, Northern, Funk, Jazz-Funk, Disco, Dub Reqqae, Glam, Electronic and Pop Rock and lots of other genres which are too numerous to mention. It's a rich tapestry out there and I love most of it depending on my moods. So I have the curse of having a wide palette too which simply magnifies the problem several times

So it's a disease. Like a virus in your blood basically. Once your brain is hardwired into music acquisition, there's no easy cure. I have more music now, then I've ever had at any time in my life. If I get the time to even re-listen to 20% of my current collection (which is across several different formats and probably 250,000 songs) it'd be a miracle and I'd have to live to 90. I have unopened Miles Davis and John Coltrane box sets because I think I should have them because there may come a point when I'll have the time to listen and appreciate them and maybe get into Jazz a bit more. I don't know if that will ever happen. Haven't had the time or inclination to devote to Jazz yet. I think the older you get, the more you have choose carefully what you want to listen to. Right now the 3 minute single suits me just fine so not much has changed in 52 years really.

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

Collecting is a form of disease I think. For sure, not a bad disease to have, but a disease nonetheless.

I'm almost 62 and have been collecting for about 52 years. At first it was all about having everything and I had to auction my first collection in 1975 to finance a trip to the U.S. where theoretically I could re-build the collection I'd just sold and add several thousand for mere cents back then. And I did. The lust for record acquisitions continued unabated. Somewhere along the line I did a physical count and I'd spent half my life lugging 40,000 records around. Some of which I'd never actually played, some of which I played a LOT and the majority of which I'd played just a few times. So I got into the habit of doing collection culls every few years because I realized that I didn't really need to keep a record that I wasn't that bothered about. I now have a few thousand records left and I'm trying to whittle those down too. It doesn't help that last year I decided to replace all my favorite records with better copies. I thought I had the discipline to keep that under control but I was wrong. It just got me back into that bloody frame of mind again...........

Plus, over the years I've found my musical tastes have tended to bounce around over several genres. At different times I've collected 60s Pop and Rock, 60s Soul & RnB., Motown, Northern, Funk, Jazz-Funk, Disco, Dub Reqqae, Glam, Electronic and Pop Rock and lots of other genres which are too numerous to mention. It's a rich tapestry out there and I love most of it depending on my moods. So I have the curse of having a wide palette too which simply magnifies the problem several times

So it's a disease. Like a virus in your blood basically. Once your brain is hardwired into music acquisition, there's no easy cure. I have more music now, then I've ever had at any time in my life. If I get the time to even re-listen to 20% of my current collection (which is across several different formats and probably 250,000 songs) it'd be a miracle and I'd have to live to 90. I have unopened Miles Davis and John Coltrane box sets because I think I should have them because there may come a point when I'll have the time to listen and appreciate them and maybe get into Jazz a bit more. I don't know if that will ever happen. Haven't had the time or inclination to devote to Jazz yet. I think the older you get, the more you have choose carefully what you want to listen to. Right now the 3 minute single suits me just fine so not much has changed in 52 years really.

Ian D :)

A disease I can't get rid of?oh shi. lol

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!