Smokey V Dusty

Soulsmith

Smokey V Dusty  

1. 1. Who has the most soulful voice?

• Smokey
    • Dusty

Thanks for raking up this thread......I've had so much stick over it :rolleyes:

I try to do my best :thumbup:

Your original post states. and I quote, "I've never been overly enamored with Dusty's voice but she has a amazingly powerful delivery that at times can often sounds really soulful."

IMO I suspect you know what way the poll was going, but the thread made for an intresting read on a dull Wednesday!

Social source share

• Replies 62
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Never really saw the point in this. It's like comparing savoury with sweet. Like 'em both but oh so very different!

Both great in their very different ways!

But I'm a soul fan so the vote obviously goes with the legendry song writer.

Smokey's a legend and Dusty was just wonderful!

I can't choose between chocolate and crisps ffs!

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

I have Dusty in Memphis, it's a pleasant, well crafted album. As far as her 'Northern' stuff goes, I have to say I prefer 'What's It Gonna Be' by Susan Barrett, another white popster, not because of it's rarity, I just think the whole package is better. Dusty's Bacharach-David stuff is excellent pop music, if you like that kind of thing. Smokey? I think most of us would acknowledge the fact that William Smokey Robinson has cast a huge shadow over the whole music industry, all genres. The man is truly versatile: Producer, arranger, writer, musician & yes, a great, great Soul vocalist. It's probably a question of taste again.

In general terms, I prefer the 'If You Don't Know Me By Now' style of delivery.

I couldn't stand (& still can't) the Stylistics & hated I 'Hey There Lonely Girl'. I think Eddie Holman is a great vocalist, except when he goes all high pitched on me. Smokey's vocal isn't the classic falsetto, it has an ethereal quality, which when given the right moment, can floor you right there in the living room. When I was 13 or 14 years old I used to listen to my sisters 45 of "mirage" over & over, memerised. Lyrically it's faultless & vocally it's extraordinary. Finally, & with all due respect, I think the comparison we're being asked to make on this occasion is slight dubious, even spurious, but then again the Spaniards have an expression that says ALL comparisons are odious.

Edited by macca
Social source share

I originally voted for Smokey, but on reflection, whilst I wouldn't change my view, the comparison is a little bit perplexing, and therefore not entirely valid, if you see what I mean.

For me, hearing "Tracks of my tears" (no matter how often) will forever be a spine tingling, back of the neck hair raising, experience. A true musical genius.

Social source share

No contest IMO.

Smokey is soul and Dusty is just a gifted pop singer.

Do admire her for her championing of Soul and Tamla in the 60's though.

Has to be Dusty for me; I may be accused of swearing but personally I've never really been into Smokey's music except that track of course...

Deffo a taste thing..

mal:)

Social source share

I have Dusty in Memphis, it's a pleasant, well crafted album. As far as her 'Northern' stuff goes, I have to say I prefer 'What's It Gonna Be' by Susan Barrett,

Sorry Macca, Please don't speak with your Mouth full my friend!!!

Susan Barrett.. :ohmy:

Mel.B

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I come down on the side of Dusty too, but only because Smokeys voice irritates the hellout of me. I'd much rather have a raw eged vocal on a male lead.

I'm not a huge fan of Dusty BTW, but I'd rather listen to her than Smokey anyday.

Having said that, only one of the two is a genuine musical legend, and that person is not female....

He just sounds it sometimes :rolleyes:

:wicked:

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

It always had to be Dusty for me :rolleyes: , as she is joint number one in my book along with Mr Entertainment (JW of course) himself as my favourite all time performer(s), it's a whole package thing (on both counts), they both have an aura about them and everything they have done moves me in one way or another.

I love Smokey and think he's one of the coolest and most talented people to walk this planet; however, anything from the last 10 years has seemed a pale imitation of his former self and frankly (sorry guys) some of it has been a bit embarrassing :lol: , that said his voice is still great though.

It was an easy comparison for me, because Dusty's voice makes me close my eyes and smile with every note. When she belts out a big number I genuinely get a tingle down my spine every time and say out loud just how much I love her voice :wicked: .

In fact I'm going to commit the cardinal sin and say this again (as I had a very heated debate about this recently), but Dusty Springfield for me knocks the spots off any other female vocalist I can think of, and yes I am including Aretha Franklin in this - just compare their versions of "Son of a preacher man" - Dusty's is better hands down.

As for comparing Dusty and Smokey - that's really is like comparing Platinum and diamonds - both beautiful :wicked:

Social source share

I try to do my best :lol:

Your original post states. and I quote, "I've never been overly enamored with Dusty's voice but she has a amazingly powerful delivery that at times can often sounds really soulful."

IMO I suspect you know what way the poll was going, but the thread made for an intresting read on a dull Wednesday!

Ooh err......i've been rumbled.

Strange thing has happened tho' last 5 or 6 posts are going Dusty.

Social source share

Never really saw the point in this. It's like comparing savoury with sweet. Like 'em both but oh so very different!

Both great in their very different ways!

But I'm a soul fan so the vote obviously goes with the legendry song writer.

Smokey's a legend and Dusty was just wonderful!

I can't choose between chocolate and crisps ffs!

If only my life choices were that simple........savoury everytime.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I think it's far too easy to underestimate the contribution of Smokey Robinson. Is he a great soul singer? I truly believe he is. Different in style to the James Carrs and Bobby Womacks of this world, but the plaintive pleading vocal stylings on say 'More Love' or 'Way Over There' or 'The Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage' are IMHO every bit as soulful in the way they portray deep emotion.

Add to the mix that he was responsible for composing some of the finest songs ever written, American or otherwise and it's a no-brainer. Truly a legend. Sometimes in the world of Rare Soul we lose sight of the obvious when we champion the obscure. Most of the multi-hundred/thousand pound records we chase after like nutters were more likely than not inspired by the work of Smokey. Most of them fail miserably to emulate the sheer erudite beauty of his best work

Dusty Springfield was a reasonably talented vocalist, but was hardly original or mould-breaking in anything she did.

With you all the way on that mate. Smokey robinson one of the greatest Soul artists in so many ways.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert