Marice Williams.AGAIN

Don't know about the seller, but the record is real. Hard to tell from the first image, but the Nashville Matrix is clearly shown on the third image, as is the Gold tint to the text.

Actually, as Chalky pointed out, the Nashville Matrix looks wrong on closer inspection. It's also in the wrong place relative to the runout, so I'm not so sure now.

Cheers
Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
My first line nonsense
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Not very often you see a Nashville matrix that clearly, looks scratched in too and not in a straight line

Hmm, as you pointed out, the Nashville Matrix does looks wrong on closer inspection. It's also in the wrong place relative to the runout, so I'm not so sure now.

Social source share

33 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Not very often you see a Nashville matrix that clearly, looks scratched in too and not in a straight line

I think there has been a history of people using a compass to scratch these in (like we did at school with tattoos on our arms :) )

I am worried that this may happen more and more (you don't need technology for it)

Social source share

The text looks silver not gold - not promising, although very often the picture of this label doesn't show well

The Nashville Matrix on mine is in much finer/smaller script and less bold - not promising, although it may just be a deeper impression

The "Nashville" in the matrix appears to be spelled a single "L" and not double "L". - not promising, although my eyes are crap

In summary, I'd have to say....not promising! (although I know nothing).

In fairness, the seller's other records all look good so I'm not sure they are trying to mislead anyone.

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

The Nashville run-out stamp at first sight appears to read Mains on the genuine record. You really have to look hard at it before allowing it could read Matrix.

In the case of the record under consideration, the word Matrix is etched so clearly, there is a possibility it has been scratched in by hand.

Social source share

22 hours ago, davlee said:

Seller has confirmed text is silver and will check out Nashville matrix stamp more closely

In that case deffo not an original? Originals green and gold, 70s boots green and silver, and maroon and gold if i'm not mistaken...

Social source share

21 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

The Nashville run-out stamp at first sight appears to read Mains on the genuine record.

https://www.anorakscorner.com/PressingPlantInfo.html

Matrix Of Nashville - Nashville

Based at 457 Chestnut Street, next door to Southern Plasctics (later URP) at #453. this company made metal parts for the local pressing plants - their work bears the stamped in italic, "Nashville Matrix" wording, sometimes confused as saying "Nashville Mains", due to a worn out stamper.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

That looks real to me, the fine etching in a relatively tidy state could only be done with a compass needle with great difficulty, if the other side stamped matrix is similar then you know its real because it would be near impossible to etch one each side almost identical  

Social source share

It looks like the boot to me. Silver text, fake stamp etched in. I’ve never seen one that clear. Nor does it go in a straight line. I don’t see any hint of gold in the text. Can’t say for certain with photos etc but I personally wouldn’t bid. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, mellorful said:

That looks real to me, the fine etching in a relatively tidy state could only be done with a compass needle with great difficulty, if the other side stamped matrix is similar then you know its real because it would be near impossible to etch one each side almost identical  

It may well be real but it looks dodgy to me.  Someone may have etched over the original stamp to, someone may have scratched it in to fool some unsuspecting bidder, who knows.

s-l1600.jpg.cd2b546c053d74941d5f0f2b469e3e02.jpg

Social source share

On mine the nashville stamp is on both sides so what does the other side look like.

You are right some dumpty could go over the original stamp with a compass needle and mess it up but did they do it on both sides and what does the stamp look like on other side? 

It could have removed all doubt without further stress

Social source share

11 hours ago, Chalky said:

It may well be real but it looks dodgy to me.  Someone may have etched over the original stamp to, someone may have scratched it in to fool some unsuspecting bidder, who knows.

s-l1600.jpg.cd2b546c053d74941d5f0f2b469e3e02.jpg

It does look dodgy though. Misaligned and too rough. As previously stated, it should be not deeply scratched in and be aligned to the run out grooves

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Down Under Soul said:

It does look dodgy though. Misaligned and too rough. As previously stated, it should be not deeply scratched in and be aligned to the run out grooves

I was thinking some dumpty went over the original stamp with a pin or such, that is why I asked about the stamp on the other side

Social source share

The Nashville Matrix stamp on the record on eBay is definitely faked.

It's not placed where it's supposed to be.

It should sit BETWEEN two grooves in the run-out.

"Being Without You" side stamp on the ORIGINAL looks like:

deesu1.jpg.a963209e45d838921f7e94dc7fc4bdaa.jpg

"Baby, Baby" side stamp on the ORIGINAL looks like:

deesu2.jpg.a1addc4743b467978114e4550b87478f.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

100% bootleg..silver text.. the grooves look a lot lighter  and the deadwax smaller than the original........... very dodgy stamp

I have no vested interest in the outcome, but it looks gold text to me on the pictures but lighting and angle can pale the picture colour. The etch/stamp looks very fine and identical both sides. If it is counterfeit the counterfeiter will have needed exceptional skills to produce the stamp/etch look identical on both sides and given the cost of the record it would hardly be worth their time counterfeiting one record. I expect when the expert handles the record and examines it he or she will confirm it as original.   But I have been conned before.

Edited by mellorful
Social source share

22 minutes ago, mellorful said:

I have no vested interest in the outcome, but it looks gold text to me on the pictures but lighting and angle can pale the picture colour. The etch/stamp looks very fine and identical both sides. If it is counterfeit the counterfeiter will have needed exceptional skills to produce the stamp/etch look identical on both sides and given the cost of the record it would hardly be worth their time counterfeiting one record. I expect when the expert handles the record and examines it he or she will confirm it as original.   But I have been conned before.

They don't look identical, just one L in Nashville for one.  The text looks silver to me.

Social source share

56 minutes ago, mellorful said:

just lookin at the lighter shade of vinyl and the size of the deadwax tells me all i need to know ..without even looking at text  colour and ` dodgy` stamp

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

They don't look identical, just one L in Nashville for one.  The text looks silver to me.

I think that might be the light on the picture. But if they look very similar they probably will be original unless someone created a stamp with two L's and a stamp with one L. Hoping we get to find out the outcome. 

Social source share

15 hours ago, mellorful said:

See my previous post above. The faked "Nashville Matrix" on the ebay copy is placed in the wrong postion. It should be placed between two grooves in the run-out.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 hours ago, mellorful said:

I think that might be the light on the picture. But if they look very similar they probably will be original unless someone created a stamp with two L's and a stamp with one L. Hoping we get to find out the outcome. 

To my eyes the one on the ebay sale is completely different to the one Sebastian posted. Seb’s is nice and clear, more importantly where it should be.  Aside from the stamp it has silver text

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!