Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Wheelsville1's profile photo

Danny Monday-Redbone.

Look At Your Box Wheelsville1

 
Posted

While looking on J.Manships site, I read about Danny Monday and that he seems to think he is Pat Vasquez  the brother of Lolly Vasquez who co wrote the song.This duo went on to form the 70s rock group Redbone,getting the name from the fact that they were of native American Indian decent.The mind boggles. Chris.

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Also recording as "Pat & Lolly Vegas" prior to "Redbone"

Des

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
11 minutes ago, Soul Inc said:

Also recording as "Pat & Lolly Vegas" prior to "Redbone"

Des

Yes,there is a really interesting bio of them on the internet. Chris. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
26 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Yes,there is a really interesting bio of them on the internet. Chris. 

Any link to that ?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
37 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Any link to that ?

If you go onto Google and put in Pat Vegas,it will go to Pat and Lolly Vegas. Chris. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

While looking on J.Manships site, I read about Danny Monday and that he seems to think he is Pat Vasquez  the brother of Lolly Vasquez who co wrote the song.This duo went on to form the 70s rock group Redbone,getting the name from the fact that they were of native American Indian decent.The mind boggles. Chris.

It may also have been  Danny Hamilton who was guitarist in the Avantis with the brothers. Seems more logical to me  but that's just mho I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it between us 👍

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 minutes ago, Speedlimit said:

It may also have been  Danny Hamilton who was guitarist in the Avantis with the brothers. Seems more logical to me  but that's just mho I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it between us 👍

Yes mate,that's the idea. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

I ban Goo-gle-muck to privilege more ethical search 'engines' but have landed on Wiki and more interesting on YT with and about Pat. In there discovered what is likely the most Northern Soul recording by the duo out of their LP; 'let's get it on' as continuous playback theme... it's catchy must admit. On who's who Danny Monday there's not much revealing 😕

Edited by Tlscapital

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Soul Inc said:

Also recording as "Pat & Lolly Vegas" prior to "Redbone"

Des

Pat (& Lolly) Vegas also produced (and co-wrote one of) the AGC label recordings by Joe Hicks.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Just found this 

Danny was white, I knew him and his wife as a kid in L.A. He had a band then "Danny Monday and the 2nd Revolution" I saw him open for Wilson Pickett. They were too good and Mr. Pickett did not like it!

Reply

  • Up vote 3

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Speedlimit said:

Just found this 

Danny was white, I knew him and his wife as a kid in L.A. He had a band then "Danny Monday and the 2nd Revolution" I saw him open for Wilson Pickett. They were too good and Mr. Pickett did not like it!

Reply

Nice one. Thanks for the info. Chris. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

This topic has long fascinated me. The Redbone connection is often bought up yet hardly anyone ever mentions that the co-writer of both sides of the Danny Monday 45 is the late, great Jim Ford.

Ford was Bobby Womack's best collaborator and wrote or co-wrote many great Womack sides: Harry Hippie, Point Of No Return, Where Do We Go From Here, Secrets, American Dream, Tell Me Why, Trying To Get Over You etc. 

As a singer Ford only released one album during his lifetime. He was apparently a notoriously difficult character who experienced a longtime struggle with substance abuse. For the broadminded soul fan his Harlan County album is essential. A lot of it is Country-based pop with a soulful flavour but Love On My Brain must be one of the greatest Blue Eyed Soul records of its era. I don't think Ford is the true identity of Danny Monday but I wonder if he isn't one of the voices on the Gene & Gary version which appeared as a 6Ts Anniversary single.

The information above about Danny Monday and the 2nd Revolution is great. Could anyone follow that up? Is it a comment on a Youtube video? The singing on both sides of the single is scorching white soul and it would be a shame to think that was the only thing Danny Monday recorded. 

  • Up vote 3

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

The comment  came from the soul stutter blog on Danny Monday  from 2014 there seems to be no more comments so it looks like they also hit a brick wall. I'm sure with  further research we can find the true identity of Mr Monday if that's his real name. 

 

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
21 minutes ago, Speedlimit said:

The comment  came from the soul stutter blog on Danny Monday  from 2014 there seems to be no more comments so it looks like they also hit a brick wall. I'm sure with  further research we can find the true identity of Mr Monday if that's his real name. 

 

 

What also intrigues me is why his Modern release was shelved,as it obviously was due to it being so scarce and promo only. Chris.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Guest\
Posted

Why do people want to know everything?  Can't there be any mystique or mystery left in the world!

  Danny Monday was a great singer, who sang a great record called "Baby without You"  for the Modern label.  It became a top class Nothern soul classic!

Isn't that enough to know, without pulling everything to bits!

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

No ! Defently not!🎶😁 Definitely not

7 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

Why do people want to know everything?  Can't there be any mystique or mystery left in the world!

  Danny Monday was a great singer, who sang a great record called "Baby without You"  for the Modern label.  It became a top class Nothern soul classic!

Isn't that enough to know, without pulling everything to bits!

 

 

Edited by Spain pete

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Definitively not🎶

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
24 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

Why do people want to know everything?  Can't there be any mystique or mystery left in the world!

  Danny Monday was a great singer, who sang a great record called "Baby without You"  for the Modern label.  It became a top class Nothern soul classic!

Isn't that enough to know, without pulling everything to bits!

 

weary of this sort of moaning post on here 

sites all about talking about soul music

pm sent suggesting try somewhere else if thats not your thing

 

forum description says

Look At Your Box - Soul Music Forums
Vinyl & collector related soul music talk

 

 

  • Up vote 3

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Iconic (hence the topic of a sole mystery man/singer record of cataclysmic proportion) sound that still give me the thrills when played loud from a real copy on a good sound system. My earbuds tell the difference and no matter how "subtle" or "marginal" the difference one might find/think of it, it makes all the difference to me. Quality rule, OK ?

Any stories or artefact about and around the making of this double sider recording session is of prime interest to me. Can't say I've ever been in deep reading back sleeve notes of LP's, biographies or other tell tale stories as such on music, but for some records that I particularly love I love to see (photos) and read (learn) about them.

Edited by Tlscapital

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
44 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Iconic (hence the topic of a sole mystery man/singer record of cataclysmic proportion) sound that still give me the thrills when played loud from a real copy on a good sound system. My earbuds tell the difference and no matter how "subtle" or "marginal" the difference one might find/think of it, it makes all the difference to me.

Any stories or artefact about and around the making of this double sider recording session is of prime interest to me. Can't say I've ever been in deep reading back sleeve notes of LP's, biographies or other tell tale stories as such on music, but on some records that I particularly love, some for long, I love to see and read about it.

The was the whole idea of myself initially starting this topic.It would be fantastic if Danny Monday was still alive for him to find out that his recording that was shelved all those years ago has brought great pleasure to so many people. Chris. 

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

It appears some people don't like to be informed. Why is try to find out if Danny Monday is his real name  and if it isn't he maybe involved in other records also played on the soul scene ripping things apart. It's gathering information on a artist who I'm sure a lot of people may want to learn more about. It's the history part of the scene. If  no one had found the record all those years ago  it would have been forgotten forever. Let's keep digging. We may get a pleasant surprise 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Now was Danny's group 2nd resurrection the group that recorded for stanson records?? They all seem to black but Danny may have left them by then 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, Speedlimit said:

Now was Danny's group 2nd resurrection the group that recorded for stanson records?? They all seem to black but Danny may have left them by then 

Res$urrection or Revolution ?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike said:

weary of this sort of moaning post on here 

sites all about talking about soul music

pm sent suggesting try somewhere else if thats not your thing

 

forum description says

Look At Your Box - Soul Music Forums
Vinyl & collector related soul music talk

 

 

Totally Agree and for a member who has Eddie Billups record as profile image (a little off thread I know), I assume doesn't care that "he" went by the aliases Eddie Owen and Shorty Billups :)

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Guest\
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mike said:

weary of this sort of moaning post on here 

sites all about talking about soul music

pm sent suggesting try somewhere else if thats not your thing

 

forum description says

Look At Your Box - Soul Music Forums
Vinyl & collector related soul music talk

 

 

That's my opinion. I thought everyone's allowed a opinion! There are plenty of things said that I don't like, but it's those peoples perspective on the topic's getting discussed!

Most of what has been said about Danny Monday is guesses and theories but very little facts!

Edited by Guest

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
58 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Res$urrection or Revolution ?

Oops revolution getting wires crossed must be the morphine just had a operation lol 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
29 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

That's my opinion. I thought everyone's allowed a opinion! There are plenty of things said that I don't like, but it's those peoples perspective on the topic's getting discussed!

Most of what has been said about Danny Monday is guesses and theories but very little facts!

It may be guess work and theories like most things that are discovered are to start with. You have to sift though hearsay rumours etc and eventually end up with the truth . A little   detection 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

No harm done to do some detective work and asking the community on here (whom I believe to be capable to do so as they seem receptive) if they can participate... And did. So no 'theories' on here yet but the one taken from the JM auction that started the quest. There's a connection, which I have forgotten about and happy to have been reminded of, but what is it made of exactly and who is Danny Monday is most legit questioning IMO.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Liberace once said and NOW I'D LIKE TO RETURN TO THE CLASSICS  was he wrong or right ?   IMHO wrong!!🎶🙊😲

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 14/06/2019 at 11:11, Speedlimit said:

It may also have been  Danny Hamilton who was guitarist in the Avantis with the brothers. Seems more logical to me  but that's just mho I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it between us 👍

Discogs have Danny Whitton as "in" the Avantis with Judd Hamilton, Pat Vegas and Lolly Vegas, that could be wrong ?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Guest\
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Totally Agree and for a member who has Eddie Billups record as profile image (a little off thread I know), I assume doesn't care that "he" went by the aliases Eddie Owen and Shorty Billups :)

I only care about Northern Soul!

If it's a Northern Soul record or a potential Northern record or something to do with Northern Soul scene/history I care!

If it's not, you're right I'm not that bothered!

Edited by Guest

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
8 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

I only care about Northern Soul!

If it's a Northern Soul record or a potential Northern record or something to do with Northern Soul scene/history I care!

If it's not, you're right I'm not that bothered!

So musical artists only have one career to make NORTHERN soul records ?😕

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
46 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

I only care about Northern Soul!

If it's a Northern Soul record or a potential Northern record or something to do with Northern Soul scene/history I care!

If it's not, you're right I'm not that bothered!

solidsoul thanks for sharing that with us

can you drop out of this topic now

your negative attitude and posts are now just attracting off topic replies and damaging this topic even more

all other members ask can we get back to the topic now - danny monday and all

thanks

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 hours ago, solidsoul said:

Why do people want to know everything?  Can't there be any mystique or mystery left in the world!

  Danny Monday was a great singer, who sang a great record called "Baby without You"  for the Modern label.  It became a top class Nothern soul classic!

Isn't that enough to know, without pulling everything to bits!

 

Knowledge is power! You never know these artists may have copies of this rare record or can recollect how 2 great recordings (flip - taste of the good life is equally good) were made! 

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Pat & Lolly Vegas released a half-decent Northern/Popcorn 45 called Robot Walk on the Apogee label. It looks like a Los Angeles pressing but the credits reveal no further information germane to this discussion. The singers definitely sound blue-eyed soulsters to me.

Back in 1971, I quite liked Redbone’s ‘Witch Queen Of New Orleans’ listened to under the bed covers on a pocket sized transistor tuned into Radio Luxembourg. I have this in my pop collection in the basement, sadly displaced to make room for another box of Northern 45’s.

I can still remember nights at Wigan when Danny Monday was one of the biggest and best records played.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Not a big one for visuals to go with classic records but l would love to see one for" baby without you"🎶 🤔

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Discogs have Danny Whitton as "in" the Avantis with Judd Hamilton, Pat Vegas and Lolly Vegas, that could be wrong ?

That's Danny Whitten who was in Crazy Horse with Neil Young. Unlikely to be our man I would say.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

The point of my post above was that Jim Ford's links with soul music were greater than those of Pat and Lolly Vegas. I would suggest that the soul feel of the Danny Monday record came equally through his involvement. 

Edited by garethx

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Maybe some links might be useful IMHO Jim Ford link seems better

https://www.revolvy.com/page/The-Avantis

Also credits and publishing might help

Danny.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Pat and Lolly's '66 album - 

 

p and l.jpg

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
10 hours ago, The Yank said:

Pat and Lolly's '66 album - 

 

 

 

Some great soulful tunes on that LP.

Have played this out a couple of times:

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Can we get back to confirming who Danny is please :)

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Maybe some links might be useful IMHO Jim Ford link seems better

https://www.revolvy.com/page/The-Avantis

Also credits and publishing might help

Novalene Publishing appears on few Pat & Lolly Vegas 45's. Likely it could be linked to the Vasquez brothers. Catfish publishing I could not track down yet. Could be a lead... or not.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

dont forget pat and lolly`s biggest worldwide hit..a record we must surely all know by now...love the chant 13th hour intro..just watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0J6vURwLSc

 

Edited by Dave Pinch
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Strange world of N S 

   there was a thread a while back, titled " the oddest request you've had, whilst DJ'ing at a Northern soul night"  (or something similar)

    i posted on it,  that i had a request for REDBONE - Witch queen of New Orleans....    the guy was'nt so daft after all 😉

 

heres post :

 

 

Edited by Ian Parker
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

dont forget pat and lolly`s biggest worldwide hit..a record we must surely all know by now...love the chant 13th hour intro..just watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0J6vURwLSc

 

Love it! I must have heard it in the day, but having picked up a copy of the song by The Temprees that version sank in and until now I had just allowed myself to think it was their song rather than a cover version.

Sticking to the Danny Monday bit though (before this posting gets moved!) - I was lucky enough to get a copy in a soul pack years ago. Sadly, it's just a pressing. Always loved it, along with the tremendous B-side "Good taste of love".

Share this source music forum post


soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.