Instrumentals

Mak

I have just been clearing an old wardrobe full of records out and I came accross an old late 60's mod soulclub tune, an instrumental by THE SWINGING MEDALLIONS - HERE IT COMES AGAIN .It had me thinking, is there room for instros on todays scene . I have only heard one instro played out in recent yrs and that was at Blackburn Hall spun by Roger Banks. Has it happens THE SWINGING MEDALLIONS(flip side toDOUBLE SHOT) ain't half bad

Social source share

• Replies 50
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I have just been clearing an old wardrobe full of records out and I came accross an old late 60's mod soulclub tune, an instrumental by THE SWINGING MEDALLIONS - HERE IT COMES AGAIN .It had me thinking, is there room for instros on todays scene . I have only heard one instro played out in recent yrs and that was at Blackburn Hall spun by Roger Banks. Has it happens THE SWINGING MEDALLIONS(flip side toDOUBLE SHOT) ain't half bad

I posted it on here,sometime ago,i like it and have played it out a few times. :thumbsup:

Social source share

always room for instrumentals in my book and always include in my spot a couple

i played astral trip out at xmas and it sounded brill..to my ears anyway

always buying instrumentals...got some crackers too

top inst from last year was the party brothers - do the groundhog (inst to billy bass - im coming to ) brill too

Social source share

Always room for instros in my book too ,and have always been around since the dawn of man!

harlem rumble , michigan move ,bari track, rogers unreleased cadet's or canets stills pack the floor everywhere.

and still love alot of the oldies instros 6by 6 , wade in the water ,call me ,elijah rockin with soul ,

there tons out there and i like to here a couple per set at least !

Social source share

Always room for instros in my book too ,and have always been around since the dawn of man!

harlem rumble , michigan move ,bari track, rogers unreleased cadet's or canets stills pack the floor everywhere.

and still love alot of the oldies instros 6by 6 , wade in the water ,call me ,elijah rockin with soul ,

there tons out there and i like to here a couple per set at least !

It's the Kinetts that Roger plays. As for 6x6 and wade in water, call me, wouldn't bother me if never heard those again. Harlem Rumble and Michigan Move on the other hand :D

Social source share

Guest the soulster

there should always be a place for instumentals, heres two ive been playing in my car recently, the innocent bystanders-frantic escape-pameline and lebaron taylor+the detroitstrings -inthe pocket both brilliant :D:thumbsup::shhh:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Nothing wrong with some instrumentals. My fav's being Double Cookin and Sliced Tomatoes but do have an instrumental of I've Got Something Good by The Explosion

Social source share

I can't tell if they're OK for the your scene, but I love'em, but perhaps I'd rather listen to R&B, jazz and ska instrumentals than 100% northern. Hammond organ is my favourite musical instrument for solos...

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

Always had a soft spot for these great Booker T and the MGs cuts.....Boss sounds... look good too on black Atlantic....

"Boot-Leg"

"Red Beans and Rice"

"Be My Lady"

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Re. instrumentals, I was thinking of posting the very same question myself!

Who, are "the powers that be" that have decided that instrumentals are no longer welcome here, and why?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Re. instrumentals, I was thinking of posting the very same question myself!

Who, are "the powers that be" that have decided that instrumentals are no longer welcome here, and why?

Social source share

Nothing wrong with instrumentals,but what I dont like are instrumental versions of well known vocal tunes,very off putting I think,when your on the floor ,intro then when you expect the vocals..........nothing,puts me off my step,no need for em ,notice Vincent plays a lot of em,not my cup a tea tho'

Bazza

Social source share

What I dont like is degrading a instrumental by supposedly(Still dont believe it) finding a vocal of it-The Magicians. It totally ruins it for me. Another one was dreaming up a world of fantasy- It was afantasy if you believe this was originally recorded at the same time as the instro

Fav instrumentals - Frantic escape- Innocent bystanders/ six oclock - Total eclipses(Otherwise know as Supertime) & the great "Condition Red"

and my fav at the moment is Remember the times - Parrish on Uptite

Social source share

Love em... proper ones that is not so keen on instro versions of "proper songs" like someone else said.

Current fave is The TKO's - Dancing With My Baby.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Looks like you did - twice! :shades:

Godz

You're right! and while we're on the subject of Alzheimer's, er...I was thinking of posting the very same question myself! :D

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

always room for instrumentals in my book and always include in my spot a couple

i played astral trip out at xmas and it sounded brill..to my ears anyway

always buying instrumentals...got some crackers too

top inst from last year was the party brothers - do the groundhog (inst to billy bass - im coming to ) brill too

What About The Mad Dog & The Pups One ? This Sounds A Bit Like Hank Jacobs , Maybe You Should Give It A Spin Mark

Social source share

Guest mel brat

======

im not sure that i know that one leigh..just bought a cracker on toddlin town - sisters and brothers ,,, fooking ace !!!!

Is "Why Did You Leave Me Girl" - Mad Dog & Pups/Vocal, Soulful Hounds/Inst. on Magic City, if that's any help. Great tune! :thumbsup:

Social source share

As already stated, there are good and not so good instrumentals, particularly with regard to the ones more famed for their vocal counterparts, however there are in my humble opinion exceptions to the rule, take Bari Track and Milton wright for examples, compared to some of the Motown "backing tracks", (and whilst I'm certainly not anti Motown and am appreciative of the Funk brothers etc.) sometimes I cringe when hearing some of them, particularly when played at a venue. Having said that I've heard one or two instrumentals that sound better than the vocal itself :lol:

There are one or two instrumentals I'd be interested to know whether vocals actually existed of them, the likes of the superb Theo Coff explosion on Dearborn, and Earl Wright -Thumb a ride, or earlier tracks like Bok to Bach. Incidentally has there been a thread relating to vocals/instrumentals, in the past? :thumbsup:

Social source share

As already stated, there are good and not so good instrumentals, particularly with regard to the ones more famed for their vocal counterparts, however there are in my humble opinion exceptions to the rule, take Bari Track and Milton wright for examples, compared to some of the Motown "backing tracks", (and whilst I'm certainly not anti Motown and am appreciative of the Funk brothers etc.) sometimes I cringe when hearing some of them, particularly when played at a venue. Having said that I've heard one or two instrumentals that sound better than the vocal itself :lol:

There are one or two instrumentals I'd be interested to know whether vocals actually existed of them, the likes of the superb Theo Coff explosion on Dearborn, and Earl Wright -Thumb a ride, or earlier tracks like Bok to Bach. Incidentally has there been a thread relating to vocals/instrumentals, in the past? :lol:

Hi Wilxy

I tried to find out about this in a recent post >>> Link <<<

Basically does anyone know which were generally released first.

Huff_Puff_HP_1003b_DJ.jpgGamble_G219a_DJ.jpg-Dee Dee Sharp released 1968, Producers '69....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks to Rachel for this Info :thumbsup:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soft_S-1021-a.jpgMala_598a_DJ.jpg

Sound_Impression_Records_SIR_6808a.jpgRevilot_RV-204b_DJ.jpg

Share_102a_DJ.jpgTop_Bottom_411a_DJ.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Good shout Roger, I would have thought such a topic would have stimulated some good debate, knowing the knowledge within this forum, are there no clues on the labels that can be gleaned :search:

Hi Wilxy

I thought that there might be some information available,

I can't see anything on the labels to give any clues as to date.

Regarding Thumb A Ride, now there's a thought

was there ever a Vocal for Earl Wright?

or

any of the others

Thumb A Ride - earl wright - capitol

13611 refosoul Capitol_5516a.jpg-----------------?-----------------

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

What About The Mad Dog & The Pups One ? This Sounds A Bit Like Hank Jacobs , Maybe You Should Give It A Spin Mark

Hi Playfair

If you like "The Party Brothers"

Revue_R-11046a.jpg

Definitely give "The Soulful Hounds" - a listen (Mad Dog And The Pups - Vocal)

Why Did You Leave Me Girl - The Soulful Hounds - magic city

13631 refosoul Magic_City_MC-012b.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi Wilxy

I thought that there might be some information available,

I can't see anything on the labels to give any clues as to date.

Regarding Thumb A Ride, now there's a thought

was there ever a Vocal for Earl Wright?

or

any of the others

Thumb A Ride - earl wright - capitol

13611 refosoul Capitol_5516a.jpg-----------------?-----------------

A vocal to Earl Wright .......

I would like to think so , but NO .

Recorded in 1965 , I , like many others , have searched to see if there was a vocal to " TAR " , but without success .

If it does exist , it is likely to be by H B Barnum , who was reputed to have been behind the record .

In respect of other instrumentals , what about " Black Is Black " by Lord Sitar on U.S. Capitol ? this was reputed to be the pseudonym for George Harrison ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

A vocal to Earl Wright .......

I would like to think so , but NO .

Recorded in 1965 , I , like many others , have searched to see if there was a vocal to " TAR " , but without success .

If it does exist , it is likely to be by H B Barnum , who was reputed to have been behind the record .

In respect of other instrumentals , what about " Black Is Black " by Lord Sitar on U.S. Capitol ? this was reputed to be the pseudonym for George Harrison ......

Malc Burton

Hi Malc

Thanks once again for the information. It happened with The Gallop where years later the Vocal turned up.

Obviously on this occasion "Thumb A Ride" remains Instrumental only.

Which is no bad thing as it is a great Instrumental, however, thanks anyway, to you and others who have taken the time to search for a Vocal.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Two early Instrumentals :huh:

Soul Serenade - Beau Dollar & the Coins - Prime

13612 refosoul Prime_1157b.jpg

The Kid - Andre Brasseur -

2052"]

Congress_CG-271b_DJ.jpg

With regard to " The Kid " by french jazz organist Andre Brasseur , I remember when the record first surfaced in the 60s , it was rumoured that the disc was labelled wrongly .

This meant that the " The Kid " was actually the title for the tune on the b -side " Holiday " , and vice - versa .

Can anyone clarify / confirm this , or is it just another urban myth ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Hi Wilxy

I tried to find out about this in a recent post >>> Link <<<

Basically does anyone know which were generally released first.

Huff_Puff_HP_1003b_DJ.jpgGamble_G219a_DJ.jpg

Dee Dee Sharp released 1968, Producers '69....

Social source share

With regard to " The Kid " by french jazz organist Andre Brasseur , I remember when the record first surfaced in the 60s , it was rumoured that the disc was labelled wrongly .

This meant that the " The Kid " was actually the title for the tune on the b -side " Holiday " , and vice - versa .

Can anyone clarify / confirm this , or is it just another urban myth ?

Malc Burton

I remember this story in the early 70s Malc. Turned out to be bogus. A mate and I were discussing this not long ago, and afterwards I remembered I had a CBS sampler type LP with Holiday on it. Plays Holiday same as the 45. Actually when you think about it you can shout "The Kid' along to the tune as well.

Godz

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Hi Playfair

If you like "The Party Brothers"

Revue_R-11046a.jpg

Definitely give "The Soulful Hounds" - a listen (Mad Dog And The Pups - Vocal)

Magic_City_MC-012b.jpg

QUOTE(wiganer1 @ Jan 20 2007, 01:01 AM) post_snapback.gif======

im not sure that i know that one leigh..just bought a cracker on toddlin town - sisters and brothers ,,, fooking ace !!!!

Is "Why Did You Leave Me Girl" - Mad Dog & Pups/Vocal, Soulful Hounds/Inst. on Magic City, if that's any help. Great tune! :huh:

Thats The One :lol:

Social source share

I remember this story in the early 70s Malc. Turned out to be bogus. A mate and I were discussing this not long ago, and afterwards I remembered I had a CBS sampler type LP with Holiday on it. Plays Holiday same as the 45. Actually when you think about it you can shout "The Kid' along to the tune as well.

Godz

Thanks Godz ....

I always thought , but one never knew , that the story might be a myth .....

AB , as you state , is Belgian , and not French ; my apologies to the people of France .

I had the 45 in a very nice picture sleeve on Palette , showing AB in a " hip " pose , sporting a fringed haircut and a pencil beard ( no moustache ) a la John Thompson in the " Jazz Club " sketches from " The Fast Show " ; hence my assuming he was a ' jazzer ' ...... nice .

Seemingly , AB is still plying his trade around Europe with his organ ......

Pictures below are from albums from AB's heyday : obviously he had cast off the ' Jazzer ' image by this time .

Malc Burton

post-5097-1169301795.jpg

post-5097-1169302188.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Pretty sure he's Belgian actually as well. More of a Mod organist than Jazz but still probably best to not send him any money for records :huh:

Godz

once again people on this forum slag off belgian dealers!!!! u must be going 2 the wrong people, i have had 100s of records from all over europe mostly belgium and been shafted once, for £20. pisses me off all this bull, they have even sent me £100 recordes from belgium before payment, so yeah theres a few dodgy guys as over here but do your homework, its pretty easy to find dodgy feedback or having different payment adresses is another dodge, if in doubt ask around or send only half payment , some dealers will even hold funds 4 u until record arrives then pass it on 2 seller! if its 2 cheap 2 believe leave it alone or take the chance and dont moan, nothing is free in life! i love my belgian friends,built my collection [of what I like ]around them EZZIE

Social source share

once again people on this forum slag off belgian dealers!!!! u must be going 2 the wrong people, i have had 100s of records from all over europe mostly belgium and been shafted once, for £20. pisses me off all this bull, they have even sent me £100 recordes from belgium before payment, so yeah theres a few dodgy guys as over here but do your homework, its pretty easy to find dodgy feedback or having different payment adresses is another dodge, if in doubt ask around or send only half payment , some dealers will even hold funds 4 u until record arrives then pass it on 2 seller! if its 2 cheap 2 believe leave it alone or take the chance and dont moan, nothing is free in life! i love my belgian friends,built my collection [of what I like ]around them EZZIE

Ezzie,

The comment was meant in fun and refers to a bit of a standing joke on this forum. I've bought records from Belgium and sold to Belgian buyers. I'm also extremely fond of Belgian beer. No insult intended.

Godz

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert