Totally Unknown One Off??

Pete S

Not surprising once you hear these lyrics but as far as I know this is the only known copy - John Manship was unaware of it - no doubt 10 people will now say they've got a copy but have a listen anyway. The thing with these records, they turned customers poems into records, so that explains why the lyrics are so bad. Still a storming backing track though eh?

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Great backing track, sounds real good loud in a do.

I think Rodd Keith jumped of a bridge onto the freeway in L.A. if i'm not mistaken.

Hi Ady,

Take a look at this..............

Rodd Keith Revealed

By Ellery Eskelin

"Leaping or falling from an overcrossing onto the Hollywood Freeway, a man identified as Rodney Eskelin, 37, address unknown, was struck by numerous cars and killed. Police said the victim plunged down the Santa Monica Blvd. overpass onto the northbound freeway about 5:10a.m. and drivers could not avoid him."

This news item ran in the Los Angeles Times on December 16, 1974. Rodney Eskelin was my father. I was recently at the New York Public Library and decided to search the records for any mention of this event. I had always suspected that there would be and here it was. I was familiar with the circumstances of his death but was shocked by the bold matter of fact delivery and yet strange as it sounds, able to draw a certain amount of strength and comfort from the reality of it. Sometimes I feel that my father probably had a more profound effect on my life than anyone I've ever met. It's quite a legacy especially given the fact that I had almost no direct contact with him before he either accidentally or intentionally left this world.

Rodney Keith Eskelin, (or Rodd as he spelled his name), was considered a musical genius by every person that I've ever spoken to who knew him. For most of my life this story would remain a deeply private one, difficult to gain a perspective on let alone try to relate and share with others. In 1994, however that all changed. I discovered that my father Rodd Keith (as he was known in the music business), had himself been discovered by an intrepid record collector and was now gaining cult status for his work in the "song poem" industry. "Song poem" music refers to those "send us your lyrics" ads that you've probably seen in magazines. Rodd was one of the people who set those words to music and recorded the songs which were then "sent around" as promotion on behalf of the client. A strange process that produced even stranger results. This is Rodd's (and my) story.

Read more - https://home.earthlink.net/~eskelin/Rodd.html

Social source share

Not surprising once you hear these lyrics but as far as I know this is the only known copy - John Manship was unaware of it - no doubt 10 people will now say they've got a copy but have a listen anyway. The thing with these records, they turned customers poems into records, so that explains why the lyrics are so bad. Still a storming backing track though eh?

think the ebay advert said there was one other known copy pete. i like 'lord' and 'gloria' so bound to like this.

i contacted Ellery Eskelin quite a few years ago and he's got hardly any records that his father recorded, which i found quite sad.

Social source share

Funny - how many variations are there of that backing track?

i am aware of:

Like the lord said (of course)

Gloria

I'm a man

any more?

must have been a tough business, that song peom thing...

there's one version with "rock and roll" in the chorus

cant remember the title, maybe the "gloria" one?

Social source share

there's one version with "rock and roll" in the chorus

cant remember the title, maybe the "gloria" one?

It's got to be Gloria Mike. I'm pretty sure I had the first copy of that, when the song poem website went up originally there was a link to about 100 songs, I went through them all, came to that one, thought "hello", went on ebay and unbelievably I found one in about 3 days, I think there's only been one since!

Social source share

It's got to be Gloria Mike. I'm pretty sure I had the first copy of that, when the song poem website went up originally there was a link to about 100 songs, I went through them all, came to that one, thought "hello", went on ebay and unbelievably I found one in about 3 days, I think there's only been one since!

heard the rock n roll one via steve mochan a few years ago, he's just joined site, so he should be able to confirm/deny :thumbsup:

have a feeling its another version as fairly sure was aware of the one on poem site when he played it me

will pm him

Social source share

I remember you getting the Gloria one Pete and you asking me about it. Sure I told you then I knew of another and thnat I had a sound file at the time, although I can't remember who had that copy as it was some time ago.

Like The Lord Said is great Northern, Gloria, even though same backing is cringe worthy, especially the chorus.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I remember you getting the Gloria one Pete and you asking me about it. Sure I told you then I knew of another and thnat I had a sound file at the time, although I can't remember who had that copy as it was some time ago.

Like The Lord Said is great Northern, Gloria, even though same backing is cringe worthy, especially the chorus.

bloody hell ive heard some crap in my time but GLORIA and IM A MAN are painful to the ears , i can see why guy or dean left them behind , LIKE THE LORD SAID never really liked it when it was played at stafford but at least the lyrics make it the best of a poor bunch

Social source share

bloody hell ive heard some crap in my time but GLORIA and IM A MAN are painful to the ears , i can see why guy or dean left them behind , LIKE THE LORD SAID never really liked it when it was played at stafford but at least the lyrics make it the best of a poor bunch

See post 1 in this thread...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert