Jump to content

Junior McCants.


Go to solution Solved by Dave Pinch,

Recommended Posts

Posted

When listning to The Boy Needs A Girl,i have to ask myself how the hell Pat Brady was able to cover up Try Me as being by Carl Carlton.We were all deaf or simply had our heads up our arses.Any thoughts on this? Chris. 

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 37
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunatley i was one of many who went along with the cover up at the time.However 20 odd years ago i was at a soul night in Goldthorpe With Andy Dyson when he bought 4 records off Gary Spencer on b

If you go through the history of northern soul cover ups though, not many sound like the artist it is covered up as.  The fact it was covered up usually served the intended purpose for some time and g

Nigel Parker had clocked that 'Try Me' was Junior McCants ... he spoke to Pat about it but Pat, as one would, denied it .. Nigel had done a compare and contrast to 'The Boy Needs A Girl' which makes i

Posted

Hmm... Carl's early efforts with 'there's nothing sweeter than love' or 'compare to what' where he didn't got his man's voice yet but singing with enthusiasm could have fool me not knowing any better. I was not there then in the first place though. Later I knew Junior for himself through the Kent cd only.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I can remember myself and quite a few others having our suspicions that it was Junior. There just wasn’t any way to confirm it, and obviously Pat wouldn’t share!😁

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
11 minutes ago, Tony Turner said:

I can remember myself and quite a few others having our suspicions that it was Junior. There just wasn’t any way to confirm it, and obviously Pat wouldn’t share!😁

Unfortunatley i was one of many who went along with the cover up at the time.However 20 odd years ago i was at a soul night in Goldthorpe With Andy Dyson when he bought 4 records off Gary Spencer on behalf of Tim Brown,Junior McCants,Don Gardner,Springers on Whale and the Cairos.I think all four came to about 3.5k if my memory serves me well. Chris. 

  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Unfortunatley i was one of many who went along with the cover up at the time.However 20 odd years ago i was at a soul night in Goldthorpe With Andy Dyson when he bought 4 records off Gary Spencer on behalf of Tim Brown,Junior McCants,Don Gardner,Springers on Whale and the Cairos.I think all four came to about 3.5k if my memory serves me well. Chris. 

ye i think that was right chris

soul source url
Social source share
  • Solution
Posted
52 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

We had some great nights back then Dave. 

ye for sure..  think that was around 1995/96 gary spencer guest dj in goldthorpe..think that was his finale before he packed in.. to think all that money changing hands and i scraped up £40 to buy sonny craver on teri de from gary the same night 😅

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Pinch said:

ye for sure..  think that was around 1995/96 gary spencer guest dj in goldthorpe..think that was his finale before he packed in.. to think all that money changing hands and i scraped up £40 to buy sonny craver on teri de from gary the same night 😅

Lol,i remember Andy could hardly get his hand out of his pocket with all the cash in it.You are right it was Garys last spot before he called it a day. £3.5k was a lot back then,i wonder what the same 4 would cost now. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

It mattered not who it was covered as, or any record for that matter, half the fun was trying to work out, find out who it actually was. 

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Lol,i remember Andy could hardly get his hand out of his pocket with all the cash in it.You are right it was Garys last spot before he called it a day. £3.5k was a lot back then,i wonder what the same 4 would cost now. 

ye doesnt bear thinking about..i would hazzard a guess at  30k tho.. at least sonny craver has gone up to 300🤣

Edited by Dave Pinch
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Pinch said:

ye doesnt bear thinking about..i would hazzard a guess at  30k tho.. at least sonny craver has gone up to 300🤣

I was thinking on similar lines Dave,yes the sonny craver was a good investment. 

soul source url
Social source share
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

In answer to the original question, about how nobody could work out it was Junior McCants, remember that Marvin Gaye's Love Starved Heart was played covered up first, fifteen years before it came out as the box set promo single. If you can successfully cover up Marvin Gaye you can certainly cover up an obscure artist like Junior McCants. Bear in mind his 'known' 45 was just considered a cheap collection filler for decades.

Very few people have ever been able to guess a singer's identity simply by listening. Covering records which are semi-known and rumours subsequently getting out is a different thing. Once they're uncovered it seems obvious but the detectives who can hear something and put all the pieces together are few and far between in my experience. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
28 minutes ago, Garethx said:

In answer to the original question, about how nobody could work out it was Junior McCants, remember that Marvin Gaye's Love Starved Heart was played covered up first, fifteen years before it came out as the box set promo single. If you can successfully cover up Marvin Gaye you can certainly cover up an obscure artist like Junior McCants. Bear in mind his 'known' 45 was just considered a cheap collection filler for decades.

Very few people have ever been able to guess a singer's identity simply by listening. Covering records which are semi-known and rumours subsequently getting out is a different thing. Once they're uncovered it seems obvious but the detectives who can hear something and put all the pieces together are few and far between in my experience. 

I understand what you are saying,however to my knowledge Marvin Gaye was never coverd up as a different artist just the song title. Heart attack. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

I understand what you are saying,however to my knowledge Marvin Gaye was never coverd up as a different artist just the song title. Heart attack. 

Marvin Gaye was covered up as JJ Barnes and there is a similarity in their voices, apparently why JJ never got anywhere once Motown took over Ed Wingate’s labels. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Marvin Gaye was covered up as JJ Barnes and there is a similarity in their voices, apparently why JJ never got anywhere once Motown took over Ed Wingate’s labels. 

Your quite right Chalky,thats the reason why JJ. Barnes was held back at motown. I wasnt aware that Marvin Gaye was covered up as JJ. Barnes. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Nigel Parker had clocked that 'Try Me' was Junior McCants ... he spoke to Pat about it but Pat, as one would, denied it .. Nigel had done a compare and contrast to 'The Boy Needs A Girl' which makes it barn door obvious

When Marvin was first played it was pitched up .. not intentionally as the cassette tapes had everything at a faster speed .. so it wouldn't have been immediately obvious it was Marvin

Andy

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Andy Rix said:

Nigel Parker had clocked that 'Try Me' was Junior McCants ... he spoke to Pat about it but Pat, as one would, denied it .. Nigel had done a compare and contrast to 'The Boy Needs A Girl' which makes it barn door obvious

When Marvin was first played it was pitched up .. not intentionally as the cassette tapes had everything at a faster speed .. so it wouldn't have been immediately obvious it was Marvin

Andy

When you say its barn door obvious this is exactley what i was meaning Andy when i started this topic a couple of weeks ago. I hope that one day The boy needs a girl starts to get played out regularly and gets the credit it deserves. 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

If you go through the history of northern soul cover ups though, not many sound like the artist it is covered up as.  The fact it was covered up usually served the intended purpose for some time and give the Dj the exclusivity he wanted. 
 

It was and still is good fun trying to work out who they are though. 

  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

An even bigger surprise to me was how Pat managed to successfully cover-up an already world-wide known singer's record, complete with the artist's 'signature' vocal traits, when he announced a Wilson Pickett record as being by 'Brother Louie Brown'. I think a number of factors have to have been involved in Pat's success, including addled minds at the time, due to drug use and the sound systems not being exactly state-of-the-art 🤣

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Chalky said:

If you go through the history of northern soul cover ups though, not many sound like the artist it is covered up as.  The fact it was covered up usually served the intended purpose for some time and give the Dj the exclusivity he wanted. 
 

It was and still is good fun trying to work out who they are though. 

Agree ... I think the strangest one was Jackie Beavers - I Need My Baby ... covered up as Mel Britt ... what was that all about !!!

Andy

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Chalky said:


 

 still is good fun trying to work out who they are though. 

Can anybody offer up some C/Us that  still to be exposed?  if i was to make one, it would be 'A glimpse of'

by Fanny Button & the Ghosts

 

Edited by Simon T
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 04/03/2021 at 12:06, Chalky said:

If you go through the history of northern soul cover ups though, not many sound like the artist it is covered up as.  The fact it was covered up usually served the intended purpose for some time and give the Dj the exclusivity he wanted. 
 

It was and still is good fun trying to work out who they are though. 

You didn't mention Anorak's corner but I bet you know it

https://www.anorakscorner.com/cover-ups

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 03/03/2021 at 20:28, Wheelsville1 said:

Your quite right Chalky,thats the reason why JJ. Barnes was held back at motown. I wasnt aware that Marvin Gaye was covered up as JJ. Barnes. 

J J Barnes "It's killing me"

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
On 04/03/2021 at 13:40, Andy Rix said:

Agree ... I think the strangest one was Jackie Beavers - I Need My Baby ... covered up as Mel Britt ... what was that all about !!!

Andy

Mel Britt and the Mighty RicTics!

As you will know, a Richard Searling C/U.

A lot of cover up artists sounded better than the real names!

 Rose Valentine and the Sisters Three.

Al Johnson and the Hitmen!

Spyder Turner and the Webs.

and many more!

 

Edited by Halogen
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I often thought that "Try Me, For A New Love" Junior McCants was a one of those instant monster records that become's huge on their first play. 

What must it have felt like to turn up to DJ at an allnighter, with a relatively unknown record like this, and you just knew it was going to be an instant knockout!

 

Edited by Halogen
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
18 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Cos it's a fantastic list of a lot of cover ups

It is indeed

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 04/03/2021 at 11:54, Wheelsville1 said:

When you say its barn door obvious this is exactley what i was meaning Andy when i started this topic a couple of weeks ago. I hope that one day The boy needs a girl starts to get played out regularly and gets the credit it deserves. 

I've always thought the cheap Junior McCants 45 is far superior to the rarity. Just a far better record in every department: better song, more danceable, more instant. The deep side on the more affordable single is far better than the ballad on the reverse of Try Me too. 

  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
13 minutes ago, Garethx said:

I've always thought the cheap Junior McCants 45 is far superior to the rarity. Just a far better record in every department: better song, more danceable, more instant. The deep side on the more affordable single is far better than the ballad on the reverse of Try Me too. 

I had a small quantity of the Boy needs a girl Junior McCants 45 some years back and couldn't sell them for love nor money. I liked the messiness of it and didn't think it was that well known so it fitted my agenda of bringing forward lesser knowns at that time. I virtually had to give them away to get rid. This would have been the early Albrighton era when most folk were very open minded to the whole spectrum of rare soul. In fact I put it on one of my snippet sales cassettes and didn't sell a single copy (think I was aking £8 and dropped it to £4) which never happened with those cassette sales lists, where people judged a tune by what it sounded like not the label, artist, rarity etc. 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
47 minutes ago, Garethx said:

I've always thought the cheap Junior McCants 45 is far superior to the rarity. Just a far better record in every department: better song, more danceable, more instant. The deep side on the more affordable single is far better than the ballad on the reverse of Try Me too. 

totally agree, its a far better song...

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Garethx said:

I've always thought the cheap Junior McCants 45 is far superior to the rarity. Just a far better record in every department: better song, more danceable, more instant. The deep side on the more affordable single is far better than the ballad on the reverse of Try Me too. 

Totaly agree with you,its now selling at just over £100 for a mint stock copy and a little more for the white promo in the same condition.As i mentioned earlier in this topic,it would be great to start hearing played at venues. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
46 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Totaly agree with you,its now selling at just over £100 for a mint stock copy and a little more for the white promo in the same condition.As i mentioned earlier in this topic,it would be great to start hearing played at venues. 

i sold mine for 80 recently and wondered if i`d get a sale.. had about 6 messages for it🙃😂🙄

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
29 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

i sold mine for 80 recently and wondered if i`d get a sale.. had about 6 messages for it🙃😂🙄

You sold it a bit cheap there Dave,hence having 6 people contact you.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

You sold it a bit cheap there Dave,hence having 6 people contact you.

absolutely.. i looked around thought 100 might not be a sure fire sell.. and when i pulled it out to sell thought it may still be a £30 /40 record and was surprised it was so high so settled on the 80. at least i made a good profit on it and cant grumble too much

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
26 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

absolutely.. i looked around thought 100 might not be a sure fire sell.. and when i pulled it out to sell thought it may still be a £30 /40 record and was surprised it was so high so settled on the 80. at least i made a good profit on it and cant grumble too much

Not at all mate. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Garethx said:

I've always thought the cheap Junior McCants 45 is far superior to the rarity. Just a far better record in every department: better song, more danceable, more instant. The deep side on the more affordable single is far better than the ballad on the reverse of Try Me too. 

I think "Try Me For A New Love" is much better in the all-nighter venue, playing loud!

That's where it comes into it's own!

It has a awesome production and arrangement.

Proper monster Northern Soul for the allnighter!

 

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Rs: Junior Mccants Help My Love King
    Look At Your Box by manus on Sun 14 Sep 2008
    • 1 / 233
    • manus on 14 Sep 2008
  2. Junior Mccants [kent] Jimmy Beaumont [bang] Syng Mcgowan [hope]
    Record Sales by RnB Rookie on Fri 02 Sep 2011
    • 1 / 863
    • RnB Rookie on 02 Sep 2011
  3. Junior Mccants
    Record Wants by Tony Foster on Sun 13 Sep 2009
    • 1 / 498
    • Tony Foster on 13 Sep 2009
  4. Junior Mccants Sells For $15,099 On Ebay
    Look At Your Box by Pete S on Sun 05 Oct 2008
    • 51 / 3818
    • KevH on 06 Oct 2008
  5. Willy Mcdougal/junior Mccants
    Record Sales by Monique on Mon 08 Jan 2007
    • 2 / 700
    • Monique on 09 Jan 2007
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.